PDA

View Full Version : Entangling Ectoplasm Question

Chilingsworth
2011-09-30, 03:38 PM
Is the psionic power Entangling Ectoplasm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/entanglingEctoplasm.htm) as powerful as I think it is? That is to say, does it imobalize a target like web does?

Even if it doesn't, it would still be a handy power, I think.

Piggy Knowles
2011-09-30, 03:48 PM
It's a great power, but entangled doesn't mean immobilized.

An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-30, 04:03 PM
It's a great power, but entangled doesn't mean immobilized.

Entangled

The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.

You're right, unless the power anchors the target to an immobile object.

The question is, does it?

OK, probably not. Maybe I'll see if I can convince my DM to add an augment option that causes it to do so. Maybe at a cost of 2pp? Would that be balanced? I mean, then you'd have the equivilant of a 2nd level power in cost that is strictly speaking less powerful (single target rather than 20 radius, lasts 5 rounds rather than 10 min/level) than web, but is more precise.

Since the power already has an augment option that lets it produce more ectoplasm (for entangling larger creatures) for 2pp, such an augment would also make sense.

Piggy Knowles
2011-09-30, 04:29 PM
No, I left out the anchor bit because Entangling Ectoplasm doesn't mention anything about anchoring itself in any way. It seems pretty explicit that the ecto just covers your target, nothing else. Contrast this with the web spell, which specifically mentions being anchored.

I think augmenting it to give it an anchor would be interesting and not terribly overpowered, although I'm always hesitant to make an already very good spell or power even better.

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-30, 09:23 PM
It might be worth a +4 PP cost rather than a +2.