PDA

View Full Version : What caster level would this be as a Chameleon

Talionis
2011-09-30, 05:42 PM
What is your chameleon caster level when you have Divine Focus and when you have Arcane Focus?

What happens when you do:

Warblade 3/Cleric1/Chameleon 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Legacy Champion 4

Initiator Level -- 18

The cool Chameleon floating feat can be changed to a 9th level maneuver

Caster Level -- 1 Cleric and 13 as Chameleon (will this progress both Arcane and Divine casting or none?)

Legacy Champion should progress casting of Ruby Knight Vindicator which increases at every level but 1st and 6th. So conceivably it would add 3 casting levels with for levels of LC. Have to reread uncanny trickster and legacy champion

At 13th level casting for Chameleon it would look like:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 Level of Spell

4 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 2 / 0 Spells available

Chilingsworth
2011-09-30, 06:01 PM
I thought chameleons only got up to 5th level spells?

HunterOfJello
2011-09-30, 06:30 PM
First of all, your build doesn't make sense. Ruby Knight Vindicator requires a maneuver and a stance from the Devoted Spirit discipline which the warblade doesn't have.

Second, assuming that you take 2 feats to gain access to RKV, you still can't take Chameleon at level 5 because it requires 8 ranks in bluff. So, the earliest level you can enter the class at is level 6

~

Next, levels in RKV will definitely not progress both your Cleric levels and Chameleon levels. It's debateable whether or not it can progress your Chameleon levels at all. Assuming that your DM will allow the levels in RKV to progress the Ex ability Aptitude Focus with the divine spells, RKV would never progress the arcane spell progression so the CL of that would be 4.

Also, Chameleon is a 10 level PrC so it's spell progression ends after 10 levels where it hits Caster Level 20. So, once you have Chameleon 2/RKV 10 your entire spell progression will be maxed out and done with. There will be no progression from that point on.

The Chameleon class also only gains spells up to 6th level and will never progress beyond that.

Tytalus
2011-09-30, 06:33 PM
You neither qualify for Chameleon with this build (due to skill requirements, you can't take the first level before ECL 6), nor does Chameleon count as a casting class, i.e., you can't progress chameleon casting with other prestige classes. You also can't increase RKV "spellcasting" with Legacy Champion - RKV doesn't have spellcasting on its own.

hex0
2011-09-30, 09:44 PM
If you really want to abuse spellcaster level, play a Master Spellthief/Chameleon.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-09-30, 09:57 PM
I love Chameleon spell abuse so much. That floating feat is so awesome for so many things.

Talionis
2011-10-01, 08:56 AM
Chameleon says that when you use Arcane Focus you cast just like a Wizard, same with Divine Focus and Cleric. Chameleon's do not cast like a spell-like ability like a Factotem. Chameleon has its own spellcasting progression in the table. The table ends at being able to cast 6th level spells, but nothing in the class discription says that it can't cast higher than 6th level spells. If you increase the number of levels available above 10 you should get a further progression past the ten levels if you had more than 10 level.

Sorry about not remembering what the requirements for Chameleon was while I was at work.

Crusader 4/ Cleric 1/ Chameleon 2/ RKV 10/ Uncanny Trickster 3
This progression should give you 7th level spells at least

Elric VIII
2011-10-01, 01:07 PM
Chameleon says that when you use Arcane Focus you cast just like a Wizard, same with Divine Focus and Cleric. Chameleon's do not cast like a spell-like ability like a Factotem. Chameleon has its own spellcasting progression in the table. The table ends at being able to cast 6th level spells, but nothing in the class discription says that it can't cast higher than 6th level spells. If you increase the number of levels available above 10 you should get a further progression past the ten levels if you had more than 10 level.

Sorry about not remembering what the requirements for Chameleon was while I was at work.

Crusader 4/ Cleric 1/ Chameleon 2/ RKV 10/ Uncanny Trickster 3
This progression should give you 7th level spells at least

Emphasis, mine.

Yeah, that's not how PrCs work. The table is all you get, you cannot progress the PrC beyond what it actually has, excpet for level-dependant calculations (Such as Hellfire Warlock+Uncanny Trickster).

Saying that it cast spells "as a Wizard," or "as a Cleric," is simply a means of describing the casting mechanic.

tyckspoon
2011-10-01, 01:20 PM
You also can't increase RKV "spellcasting" with Legacy Champion - RKV doesn't have spellcasting on its own.

That does work, at least- Legacy Champion doesn't have the usual "+1 Spellcasting." It's just "+1 existing class"; you can use it to further the class features of RKV, and one of the class features of RKV happens to be +1 spellcasting. I don't know what does/should happen when you try to apply that to Chameleon, tho.

Talionis
2011-10-01, 05:57 PM
Emphasis, mine.

Yeah, that's not how PrCs work. The table is all you get, you cannot progress the PrC beyond what it actually has, excpet for level-dependant calculations (Such as Hellfire Warlock+Uncanny Trickster).

Saying that it cast spells "as a Wizard," or "as a Cleric," is simply a means of describing the casting mechanic.

Wow, I never saw that in a book. It doesn't seem particularly over powered to get levels above 6, oh well.

I was really hoping to get Body out of Body from Wu Jen, but I like the flavor and mechanics of RKV.

Elric VIII
2011-10-01, 06:38 PM
Wow, I never saw that in a book. It doesn't seem particularly over powered to get levels above 6, oh well.

I was really hoping to get Body out of Body from Wu Jen, but I like the flavor and mechanics of RKV.

If homebrew works for you, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90955) is a base class version of Chameleon that gets 7th level spells.

Talionis
2011-10-01, 10:30 PM
If homebrew works for you, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90955) is a base class version of Chameleon that gets 7th level spells.

I don't think my DM will let me use Homebrew, but I like the class you drew up.

Chronos
2011-10-01, 10:39 PM
If you prefer, you could say that the Chameleon does have a defined spellcasting progression past 10th level, but that every level after 10th is identical to 10th.

And my favorite (in a theoretical-optimization sense) abuse of Chameleon is to use the floating feat on Shape Soulmeld, from Magic of Incarnum. You only need the feat to shape the meld, and it persists indefinitely and is usable after that. So one day you grab one soulmeld, and then another the next day, and so on, until you have a soulmeld shaped on each of your ten chakras. It basically makes you a better Incarnate than the Incarnate, effectively for free (since you can still use your floating feat for whatever else, afterwards).

Zaq
2011-10-01, 11:47 PM
And my favorite (in a theoretical-optimization sense) abuse of Chameleon is to use the floating feat on Shape Soulmeld, from Magic of Incarnum. You only need the feat to shape the meld, and it persists indefinitely and is usable after that. So one day you grab one soulmeld, and then another the next day, and so on, until you have a soulmeld shaped on each of your ten chakras. It basically makes you a better Incarnate than the Incarnate, effectively for free (since you can still use your floating feat for whatever else, afterwards).

Better Incarnate than the Incarnate? Without essentia (let alone boosted essentia caps), chakra binds, or the ability to change what you've got to suit the order of the day (or even the order of the encounter . . . Rapid Meldshaping is an awesome feature)? The old "Chameleon Incarnate" trick is a nifty one, but if you really think that having more shaped soulmelds alone is enough to make you better than the Incarnate . . . it just doesn't work that way.