PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape and Swallow Whole

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-30, 07:43 PM
What happens to an enemy that was swallowed while wildshaped via Swallow Whole when the druid (or ranger) goes back to normal? I'm partial to bursting from the stomach Alien-style.

DonutBoy12321
2011-09-30, 09:18 PM
I think the Druid's stomach would burst, too.

HunterOfJello
2011-09-30, 09:27 PM
Wildshape doesn't give a druid the extraordinary special qualities of the form they take, so they wouldn't be able to use the Swallow Whole ability of any of those forms.

The exceptions to this are when they gain the ability to turn into an Elemental or if they go into the Master of Many Forms prestige class. MoMF gains extraordinary special qualities of all the creatures they turn into at level 7.

However, a druid who wildshapes into a creature could kill them and then chop them into pieces and eat them. If that happens, it's up to the DM to decide what happens.

*edit*

I stand corrected. Thank you Cog.

Cog
2011-09-30, 09:35 PM
Wildshape doesn't give a druid the extraordinary special qualities of the form they take, so they wouldn't be able to use the Swallow Whole ability of any of those forms.
Swallow Whole is a special attack, not a special quality. You get it with standard Wild Shape.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-30, 09:41 PM
I think there is a spell for that (TM) [Ex Abilities]... enhanced wildhshape or something like that.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-30, 10:02 PM
Here's another question, what if the enemy died due to the various bludgeoning and acid damage of the Druid's wildshaped stomach. Would the Alien-bursting still happen? At that point it would be no different than food.

Cog
2011-09-30, 10:04 PM
To answer a question with a question: do you want to play a game where bulimia is a basic survival skill for Druids?

Tvtyrant
2011-09-30, 10:04 PM
What happens to an enemy that was swallowed while wildshaped via Swallow Whole when the druid (or ranger) goes back to normal? I'm partial to bursting from the stomach Alien-style.

You would not be able to turn back to normal. The rules indicate that something that has an expansion or shrinking ability cannot expand within a space that is too small, so the closest rule suggests you could not retract and crush something.

No brains
2011-09-30, 10:10 PM
The enemy does horrifically burst out, but then "A muscular action closes the hole".:smalltongue:

Mechanically, the effect ends, so the enemy is still in the swallower's square and they aren't grappled anymore. Fluff-wise, it is up to the DM.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-30, 10:16 PM
You would not be able to turn back to normal. The rules indicate that something that has an expansion or shrinking ability cannot expand within a space that is too small, so the closest rule suggests you could not retract and crush something.

Except Wildshape has a duration. So swallow whole something right before the duration ends and I can extend the duration till whatever I swallowed is digested enough to fit in my non-wildshape digestive system? That doesn't make any sense. I couldn't voluntarily end it by your logic but when its forcibly ended because the duration is over, your logic becomes flawed.

hex0
2011-09-30, 10:18 PM
You could use the dimension door into solid space rule.

Strormer
2011-10-01, 12:19 AM
I would second the mechanical answer of the effect ending and therefore the aftereffects of using an ability end as well. That meaning that the swallowed creature would end in the druid's space after the druid returned to normal.

That being said, if I were to DM it, I would say that, as the druid's altered form begins to return to normal, the druid seems to become violently ill, regurgitating the creature swallowed as it begins to shrink. In the end the creature is expelled at that point with whatever effects have already occurred and the druid, just for giggles, would be dazed from the stomach churning effects of the entire ordeal.
That would just be my table ruling though, ymmv.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-01, 12:22 AM
I would second the mechanical answer of the effect ending and therefore the aftereffects of using an ability end as well. That meaning that the swallowed creature would end in the druid's space after the druid returned to normal.

That being said, if I were to DM it, I would say that, as the druid's altered form begins to return to normal, the druid seems to become violently ill, regurgitating the creature swallowed as it begins to shrink. In the end the creature is expelled at that point with whatever effects have already occurred and the druid, just for giggles, would be dazed from the stomach churning effects of the entire ordeal.
That would just be my table ruling though, ymmv.

With an hour/level duration, just stay wildshaped till they dissolve and pass into the rest of your digestive system.

Strormer
2011-10-01, 01:27 AM
I think the OP was implying that, for whatever reason, the duration would be ending before that could happen. By that understanding, this would be an unusual situation and should not come up in regular play for all intents and purposes. More hypothetical discussion.
Still, you are nominally correct.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-01, 01:30 AM
I think the OP was implying that, for whatever reason, the duration would be ending before that could happen. By that understanding, this would be an unusual situation and should not come up in regular play for all intents and purposes. More hypothetical discussion.
Still, you are nominally correct.

Ummmmmmm, I AM the OP.:smallwink:

Strormer
2011-10-01, 01:33 AM
Lol, and so you are, perhaps I am too sleepy to be posting at this late hour.
*Bows out with what little dignity remains*

Sith_Happens
2011-10-01, 02:52 AM
The enemy does horrifically burst out, but then "A muscular action closes the hole".:smalltongue:

That's the part that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I know it's necessary mechanically (otherwise you could just kill everything by intentionally being swallowed), but fluffwise how is it that every single creature that likes to skip the whole "chewing" thing also has the ability to instantly heal a hole in its stomach? Has the swallowing of adventurers really been so widespread and frequent for so long that the entirety of a world's fauna (and some of its flora) could separately evolve such a trait? Inb4 "a wizard did it."

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-01, 10:44 AM
That's the part that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I know it's necessary mechanically (otherwise you could just kill everything by intentionally being swallowed), but fluffwise how is it that every single creature that likes to skip the whole "chewing" thing also has the ability to instantly heal a hole in its stomach? Has the swallowing of adventurers really been so widespread and frequent for so long that the entirety of a world's fauna (and some of its flora) could separately evolve such a trait? Inb4 "a wizard did it."

A wizard did it.

EDIT: Damn you white time ninjas!