PDA

View Full Version : PF Gestalt Dread Necro assistance?

Zagaroth
2011-10-01, 12:14 AM
As some of those who assisted me before with regards to leadership might be aware, one of the campaigns I am currently in is a gestalt, evil based game involving leadership feats and armies. My DM has decided I get to stat my own followers, because he doesn't want to deal with having to stat that much extra stuff.

So, 2 issues I want to consider for my army's necromancer (who is going to be actually bit of a home base sort of guy, and a back up interrogator of the "whoops, we killed him, OK, we still need answers..." sort of way.).

1) Pathfinder Conversion (a few details)

2) what is best to gestalt it with.

OK, so issue 1) Seems rebuke should be converted to channeling (negative only), and that wipes out negative energy burst ability. Should dread Necro then receive Command Undead as a bonus feat? I see no other conversion issues at this time.

So, for what to gestalt with.

Cleric seems redundant for Channel Energy, but a Divine Strategist might work in some interesting ways, esp. as he's one of the main guys helping defend the castle when the PCs are away. and Undeath sub-domain works nicely with the DN's abilities I think

Alternatively, an Undeath or Shadow bloodline sorcerer has some potential

Necrocarnate (Incarnum) sounds fun, but doesn't seem to terribly useful unless the PCs or the army brings back some really powerful high HD corpses.

There is wizard necro of course. That channel is different enough it might be stackable during gestalt.

that's all I have for ideas of what to gestalt him at ATM. Any other suggestions?

HunterOfJello
2011-10-01, 12:45 AM
Bard, Crusader, Wilder

Playing a Crusader would honestly be very powerful with that many melee allies. You should definitely take a Crusader 1 dip at the very least. For instance, the 1st level Crusader stance Leading the Charge gives allies within 60 ft a bonus on charge attacks equal to your initiator level. At level 10 that will be +10 damage to every single one of your undead minion's charge attacks.

Crusader 1/Bard X works very well once you grab the Song of the White Raven feat which allows you to use Inspire Courage as a swift action instead of a standard action. Melodic Casting would then allow you to cast any spells while still maintaining Inspire Courage and your Leading the Charge stance. That would be a very deadly combination while walking around with 10+ undead allies.

deuxhero
2011-10-01, 02:07 AM
CW Samurai!

>_>

Honestly! It's not completely terrible for this! You get some boosts to fear and a chaise upgrade.

It's not a very good choice, but solid, and that's amazing for a CW Samurai.

grarrrg
2011-10-01, 10:23 AM
Agent of the Grave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/agent-of-the-grave) for the wins!

It's a PrC, but entry is entirely up to you, Cleric, Oracle, Wizard, Sorcerer, even Druid! (note: must take "Blight Druid" archetype > Death domain, so wrong, but so fun!) Could even take it on your Dread Necro side, but that's up to you.

Xtomjames
2011-10-01, 12:20 PM
As some of those who assisted me before with regards to leadership might be aware, one of the campaigns I am currently in is a gestalt, evil based game involving leadership feats and armies. My DM has decided I get to stat my own followers, because he doesn't want to deal with having to stat that much extra stuff.

So, 2 issues I want to consider for my army's necromancer (who is going to be actually bit of a home base sort of guy, and a back up interrogator of the "whoops, we killed him, OK, we still need answers..." sort of way.).

1) Pathfinder Conversion (a few details)

2) what is best to gestalt it with.

OK, so issue 1) Seems rebuke should be converted to channeling (negative only), and that wipes out negative energy burst ability. Should dread Necro then receive Command Undead as a bonus feat? I see no other conversion issues at this time.

So, for what to gestalt with.

Cleric seems redundant for Channel Energy, but a Divine Strategist might work in some interesting ways, esp. as he's one of the main guys helping defend the castle when the PCs are away. and Undeath sub-domain works nicely with the DN's abilities I think

Alternatively, an Undeath or Shadow bloodline sorcerer has some potential

Necrocarnate (Incarnum) sounds fun, but doesn't seem to terribly useful unless the PCs or the army brings back some really powerful high HD corpses.

There is wizard necro of course. That channel is different enough it might be stackable during gestalt.

that's all I have for ideas of what to gestalt him at ATM. Any other suggestions?

Conversion: Increase HD to D8
Convert any permanent ability drain powers to permanent negative levels.
Convert XP costs in spells to spell components that are roughly 5 times the XP cost in gold cost. Convert any instant death spells to the PF versions, if they don't exist find a similar spell in PF and copy the damage dealt. There are no instant death spells in PF.

Negative Burst, treat this as an additional number of bursts or channel energy on top of any base versions that exist that you have, and otherwise treat it as channel energy. Dread Necromancers already have Rebuke undead (that is command undead). No need for a bonus feat.

The best classes to pair up with in gestalt are as follows: Warlock (Eldritch blast is negative energy which heals undead, you can use it at will or once per round. Invocations for summoning undead and raising undead don't use up spells per day and can add to your undead minions).

Magus (PF) grants you spells outside of the Dread Necromancer list and grants you better combat abilities including medium BAB (like a Rogue).

** Not so good but interesting combos
Alchemist, Witch, Summoner, Artificer

Maho-Tsukai
2011-10-01, 01:32 PM
Some considerations for your other side...

Oracle(Bones Mystery)- Cha synergy and gives you access to Desecrate, animate dead as a level three and other goodies that come with the cleric list. Some of the mystery powers for the bones mystery are also nice. I think that a Dread Necro///Oracle/Agent of the Grave would be a powerful necromancer if there ever was one.

Anti-Paladin- Cha synergy and good at combat. Good if you want some melee on your necromancer and while it's spell list is not as varied as the Oracle's it still gets desecrate. It also gives you heavy armor, martial weapons, full BAB and general melee awesomeness as well as ways to abuse the high cha you'll have from being a Dread Necro...may not be as good as Oracle/agent of the grave for a strait up undead hoard master necromancer but if you want a Necro-gish this would be a way to do that. Must be chaotic evil to do this one, though.

Bard- Cha synergy and skills. Not as much direct synergy as Oracle or Anti-Paladin but still worth considering, especially if you can obtain a way to get bardic music to work on undead minions. If you can then this becomes one of the best, if not the most ideal options available. Bardic music on your undead army would just be crazy.

Zagaroth
2011-10-02, 12:52 AM
Had a 12 hour day, so short reply.

I'm liking the oracle/agent of the grave as other side, but still thinking.

Note, eldritch blast is untyped. Making it negative energy would be a house rule. But warlock could have interesting flavor anyway. And could enter AotD, as the invocation for animate dead would work.