PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a "Spell of Quick Childbirth"

TheRinni
2011-10-01, 09:12 AM
Hello, Playground!

Recently, my DM has informed me that my character may be given the opportunity to have a child with her romantic interest. While the aspect is tempting, the game tends to be heavy in combat, and I'd hate to miss out. She's a dexterous pirate captain, and the negatives to dexterity in the third trimester (presented in BoEF) would be devastating.

I'm looking for something that would speed up the duration of the pregnancy. I would think something like this would be in the BoEF, but I haven't been able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

CTrees
2011-10-01, 09:23 AM
Remove disease? :smallwink:

More serious, a complicated series of multiple PAOs, leading into forms that have very short gestation periods, then back into the mother and child's bases forms? That's the best I've got without getting into spell combinations I really don't want to think about. Squick, etc.

EDIT: (second try - forum errors ahoy!) Looking at non-marsupials, several types of mouse, gerbil, and similar have gestation periods in the 3-4 week range. Perhaps just spend the third trimester as a gerbil for a week? That's a minimal time to be out of commission.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-01, 09:26 AM
Carry the child to term on a fast-time plane? Only spell required there is Plane Shift, with a bit of research on the side.

TheRinni
2011-10-01, 09:45 AM
Carry the child to term on a fast-time plane? Only spell required there is Plane Shift, with a bit of research on the side.

Would that work? Let's say I Plane Shifted onto a Fast Flowing-Time Plane, spent my first day of pregnancy there and came back. A year would have passed and yet I'd still only be pregnant for a day.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-01, 09:47 AM
Would that work? Let's say I Plane Shifted onto a Fast Flowing-Time Plane, spent my first day of pregnancy there and came back. A year would have passed and yet I'd still only be pregnant for a day.

You'd have been pregnant for a year of subjective time, which is the only thing that matters. For your friends, you'd have only been missing a day - though when you reappear, you're a year older - but you would have lived out the entire year like normal.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-01, 10:26 AM
Glyphstones idea is very good. I've seen it implemented in a game, although it wasn't a day, but a couple of tendays between adventures. The thing was that the pregnancy was the players idea and the DM was okay with it and played along.

Alefiend
2011-10-01, 10:35 AM
I don't own it, but I think BoEF has a number of spells dealing with pregnancy and childbirth. Maybe somebody here can enlighten you.

Glimbur
2011-10-01, 10:39 AM
I read the title and thought you needed help with the delivery, in which case Dimension Door or a similar teleport could save a lot of aggravation. BoEF is the typical source for all things pregnancy related in D&D, so that is a good resource. Or work something out with your DM, of course.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-01, 10:52 AM
Um, guys, the OP has BoEF, but he couldn't find what he needed.

nedz
2011-10-01, 11:13 AM
There's a plot armour appraoch - just agree with the DM that the campaign will have a year or so of downtime.

shadow_archmagi
2011-10-01, 11:41 AM

No, that's be a slow flowing plane. On a slow flowing plane, it'd take you years to get through an hour.

On the Plane of Turbo, you'd be going much faster, so you'd be able to get through whole years in just an hour relative to the Prime.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-10-01, 02:02 PM
Dal Quor has a one minute material plane to ten minutes there time flow. You would only need to spend about one month there to finish the pregnancy.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-01, 02:08 PM
Though if they're not in Ebberon, the 'quickest' method would be to find a 17th-level spellcaster who can cast Genesis and have them build you a demiplane with a time trait of your choice. Costs roughly 27,000 gold, but it'd let you carry the child to term in a single round of Prime Material time if you wanted to.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-01, 02:34 PM
There's a plot armour appraoch - just agree with the DM that the campaign will have a year or so of downtime.
You are going to need more then a year if you intend to raise the whelp. Even with wet nurses and other surrogate mothers, one still has parental responsibilities.

Flame of Anor
2011-10-01, 02:37 PM

You are going to need more then a year if you intend to raise the whelp. Even with wet nurses and other surrogate mothers, one still has parental responsibilities.

But still, this is probably the best approach. And most realistic--in my experience, anyone who really wants to be a parent would not say "Nah, I'm having too much fun going on adventures". Also, while bringing up a kid to be a mighty warrior is probably more interesting in movies than games, it could still be cool.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 02:38 PM

To solve that problem, you get a spellcaster to make a slow time demiplane, staff it with nurses and stock it with supplies and creature comforts, and visit the kid at your lesiure. To the child, you wont be gone any longer than if you were playing peek-a-boo.

CTrees
2011-10-01, 02:43 PM
But still, this is probably the best approach. And most realistic--in my experience, anyone who really wants to be a parent would not say "Nah, I'm having too much fun going on adventures". Also, while bringing up a kid to be a mighty warrior is probably more interesting in movies than games, it could still be cool.

No, but they might be conflicted between "be a parent" and "save the world."

Cieyrin
2011-10-01, 03:01 PM

TheRinni's a girl, firstly.

Secondly, I'd do my research carefully on finding a neutral-aligned fast flowing demiplane, as planar effects may have an effect on the unborn child, if you let a crafty DM to allow it.

Finally, I think it's within the power of a Limited Wish to expedite a pregnancy, you just have to carefully word it so you don't have a miscarriage or some such.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-01, 03:12 PM
TheRinni's a girl, firstly.
And "guys" is gender-neutral (at least in this context). So, nyeh.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-01, 03:32 PM
Research a new spell called "Childbirth".

Use the Quicken Spell metamagic feat on it.

/thread

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-01, 03:34 PM
And "guys" is gender-neutral (at least in this context). So, nyeh.

You failed your spot check.

Maybe let someone research a spell that increases the speed of pregnancy a hundredfold? That should change the time to about half a week.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-01, 03:50 PM
You failed your spot check.
Nope. I said "he" as in "the Original Poster". So, nyeh.

ericgrau
2011-10-01, 03:51 PM
I'd ask to houserule the quick birth spell. Messing with time varying planes quickly becomes abusable.

Douglas
2011-10-01, 04:01 PM
Nope. I said "he" as in "the Original Poster". So, nyeh.
And the original poster is female.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-01, 04:03 PM
But still, this is probably the best approach. And most realistic--in my experience, anyone who really wants to be a parent would not say "Nah, I'm having too much fun going on adventures". Also, while bringing up a kid to be a mighty warrior is probably more interesting in movies than games, it could still be cool. Like playing a merchant prince, like Sindbad or Ivan in the Story of Salt (http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/russian/oldpetersrussiantales/salt.html), it's, sadly, one of those concepts that doesn't translate well to the tabletop. Still, I hope one could make it work.

To solve that problem, you get a spellcaster to make a slow time demiplane, staff it with nurses and stock it with supplies and creature comforts, and visit the kid at your lesiure. To the child, you wont be gone any longer than if you were playing peek-a-boo.
That would be some quite loyal servants as from their perspective, their friends and family are ageing at an accelerated rate.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 04:10 PM
That would be some quite loyal servants as from their perspective, their friends and family are ageing at an accelerated rate.

Toche, umm.. a gold/silver/bronze dragon wetnurse (using alternate form to take the form of a lactating [whatever race the kid is] female.) ? It'd be expensive as heck, but maybe?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-01, 04:29 PM
Toche, umm.. a gold/silver/bronze dragon wetnurse (using alternate form to take the form of a lactating [whatever race the kid is] female.) ? It'd be expensive as heck, but maybe?
Well, you're already financing the creation of demi-planes, so I suppose it would probably be in the budget. But yes, expensive. You would have to ask if a dragon could alternate form into specifically into a wet-nurse.
Do dragons breast feed?
I am imagining a mama dragon lying down and a line of wyrmlings nuzzled up like piglets.
It's rather cute actually.

Cieyrin
2011-10-01, 04:34 PM
If I remember my Council of Wyrms right, newborn wyrmlings go straight for the solid foods, at least if the first adventure where your characters are born from their eggs and have to immediately fend off ogres is any indication. Not exactly a good first meal but new experiences abound when you're a dragon. :smallwink:

The_Snark
2011-10-01, 04:47 PM
Dal Quor has a one minute material plane to ten minutes there time flow. You would only need to spend about one month there to finish the pregnancy.

It's also totally inaccessible from the Material Plane (except through dreaming, of course). Which is probably just as well, as it's populated by insidious scheming nightmare-beings; not a great place to bring an unborn child. Their minds are very... malleable.

But the other suggestions sound good: custom spell, carefully worded Limited Wish, or finding a plane where time runs faster (provided you're not in Eberron).

Ravens_cry
2011-10-01, 04:54 PM
If I remember my Council of Wyrms right, newborn wyrmlings go straight for the solid foods, at least if the first adventure where your characters are born from their eggs and have to immediately fend off ogres is any indication. Not exactly a good first meal but new experiences abound when you're a dragon. :smallwink:
Racing to your mothers side so you get fed would also count as a "new experience." You could also go the common bird route for feeding young, but that would be less than pleasant.

Flame of Anor
2011-10-02, 12:24 AM

You will, however, get old relatively very quickly.

Exactly--that's why they get the DM to make the world, as Mr. Incredible would say, "stay saved" for a while.

Kogak
2011-10-02, 02:01 AM
Could you not just slap a 2,000 gp Ring of Sustenence on the little brat and sit it out one extra week while it takes effect? If you are invested in your own little plane to speed the process along from however many months (depending on race), what's a week longer? Not to mention I doubt the dear mother wants to jump right back in to captaining immediately following child birth. Though healing spells could probably allow that...

Cieyrin
2011-10-02, 09:11 AM
Could you not just slap a 2,000 gp Ring of Sustenence on the little brat and sit it out one extra week while it takes effect? If you are invested in your own little plane to speed the process along from however many months (depending on race), what's a week longer? Not to mention I doubt the dear mother wants to jump right back in to captaining immediately following child birth. Though healing spells could probably allow that...

I'm not sure what a Ring of Sustenance is going to do for the kid, as it reduces sleep and dietary needs, not aging. And really, I don't know why you'd want the kid awake at such an early age more often than not, given recently born babies sleep, eat and cry, crying being the thing they do when not eating while awake. Food and water isn't expensive.

CTrees
2011-10-02, 10:25 AM
Ring of Sustenance+custom made Ring of Silence?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-02, 12:22 PM
Now you people are just being cruel.:smalleek:

gorfnab
2011-10-02, 12:29 PM
Rich Burlew came up with the Gleaner NPC (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html) class which has access to a spell called Blessed Birth.

Cieyrin
2011-10-02, 12:43 PM
Rich Burlew came up with the Gleaner NPC (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html) class which has access to a spell called Blessed Birth.

Actually, Keith Baker wrote it, Rich just hosted it on the site. That's why the Gleaner wasn't ported to the Homebrew forums, since it isn't his. Blessed Birth is also a Cleric/Druid spell, so you don't even need a Gleaner.

Also, Blessed Birth doesn't make gestation happen faster, just makes it easier on mother and child when the mom-to-be goes into labor.

Kogak
2011-10-03, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure what a Ring of Sustenance is going to do for the kid, as it reduces sleep and dietary needs, not aging. And really, I don't know why you'd want the kid awake at such an early age more often than not, given recently born babies sleep, eat and cry, crying being the thing they do when not eating while awake. Food and water isn't expensive.

My comment was more directed at the problem of feeding a child or paying a wet nurse in a situation such as a slow time demi plane. If I were to quick-age a child, I would resort to the Book of Vile Darkness. :smallbiggrin:

To pull it off one needs a morally deficient wizard or cleric (Aim for lawful evil) with ranks in heal, and little else. Once the pregnancy begins to show and compromise the ability to swashbuckle (or whatever it is you need to do), have the caster remove the fetus and immediately cast Bestow Curse. Use the alternative curse on Pg. 28 which ages the target to the next age category.

If you are lucky, your DM will say "Infant" is the next age category and you have yourself a brand new... whatever the heck it is. A little down the line, remove the curse and watch your bundle of trouble regain those lost months.

If your DM decides the next age category is "adult", then employ the same morally deficient wizard (or a new one if you went cleric) to cast Mindrape. Proceed to insert childhood memories and happy, carefree days so the "kid" still likes you. Also use this as an opportunity to avoid "The Talk". We used lawful evil here so you can trust the wizard (somewhat) to do what he is paid to do.

Evil, but oh so much more efficient.

candycorn
2011-10-03, 03:43 AM

See? That there sounds like "roleplaying opportunity" to me.

Telonius
2011-10-03, 08:20 AM
You need a high-level Wizard and a competent Cleric (or a high-level Cleric with the Trickery domain) to pull this off.

Wait until second trimester. Get a Cleric with lots of ranks in Heal to perform a Caesarean. Polymorph Any Object - preemie to infant.

Though I'm not sure if this would result in a permanent infant...?

The Glyphstone
2011-10-03, 08:51 AM
You need a high-level Wizard and a competent Cleric (or a high-level Cleric with the Trickery domain) to pull this off.

Wait until second trimester. Get a Cleric with lots of ranks in Heal to perform a Caesarean. Polymorph Any Object - preemie to infant.

Though I'm not sure if this would result in a permanent infant...?

And then, when they grow up to be a BBEG, most anticlimactic Dispel Magic ever.

"Did you just turn him into a baby?"
"I was trying to dispel his Stoneskin..."

Andorax
2011-10-03, 10:45 AM
Some planar methods have been mentioned, but I'd just toss this bit in there:

Manual of the Planes (alternate planes section) lists the Plane of Faerie, wherein each day spent there counts as a week here, and 'catches up to you all at once' when you leave.

It'd surely be rough going, but if you spent the first two trimesters doing favors for the fey, you could probably strike a bargain that would allow you to spend a couple of weeks in the Fae realm.

Bring a good alarm clock...it's easy to lose track of time there. Look for areas with a minor-positive-dominant trait for therapudic benefits and enjoy the light gravity that should make the third trimester go a bit easier on the back.

Just be careful about using too much magic there, and be ready for a very rough labor when you come home (ravenously hungry and having the remaining 12 weeks catch up to you all at once).

Side effects, such as the feytouched template, should be discussed with your party's cleric before beginning this course of treatment.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-03, 11:05 AM

How'd you get that link? That was taken down.

Frosty
2011-10-03, 11:42 AM
And then, when they grow up to be a BBEG, most anticlimactic Dispel Magic ever.

"Did you just turn him into a baby?"
"I was trying to dispel his Stoneskin..."
Or if he accidentally walks into an AMF? :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2011-10-03, 12:04 PM
How'd you get that link? That was taken down.

Ever hear of bookmarks? Also, just because a link isn't posted doesn't mean it won't work still. Rich would have to actually delete the page, which it doesn't appear to have happened, given the page still goes somewhere.

Hell, I can Google it and get there by just searching for the Gleaner.

gbprime
2011-10-03, 02:56 PM
Don't over complicate. Use a Limited Wish to reduce or eliminate the penalties for being pregnant, so you're acting normally right up til the contractions start. Then just carry said kid to term and get on with being a working parent, complete with all the RP, plot complication, awkwardness, and diapering jokes that entails. :smallamused:

Alefiend
2011-10-03, 06:35 PM

Wow, I totally missed that. Despite reading the post, my brain edited out the possibility the OP actually owned the book. I blame my recent illness, and modern society. :smallredface:

Endarire
2011-10-03, 06:46 PM
Iron Heart Surge?

Panartias
2011-10-04, 04:06 AM
What about an old-fashioned (prior to 3.0) „haste“ spell. That ages you 1 year as a side-effect?!

Ravens_cry
2011-10-04, 04:23 AM
An AD&D haste spell would make you older, but they would still have the knowledge, and mentality of a child, now with the added benefit of adult sex hormones.
The word you are looking for is "psychopath".

bassmasterginga
2011-10-04, 04:34 AM
An AD&D haste spell would make you older, but they would still have the knowledge, and mentality of a child, now with the added benefit of adult sex hormones.
The word you are looking for is "psychopath".

actually no. there is no critical period for morality and such thinking. the word you are looking for is "moderate degree of mental retardation coupled with severe inability to communicate verbally."

Panartias
2011-10-04, 04:45 AM
Since I didn’t intend to open another can of worms, I would stop at one haste spell – that shouldn’t be too bad…:smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-04, 05:08 AM
actually no. there is no critical period for morality and such thinking. the word you are looking for is "moderate degree of mental retardation coupled with severe inability to communicate verbally."
Maybe, maybe not, but they certainly haven't had the period of social conditioning. Children are psychopaths, babies even more so, their first thought is themselves and themselves alone.

Sith_Happens
2011-10-04, 06:06 AM
Iron Heart Surge?

Darn, beat me to it.:smallfrown:

...Except that the character in question probably doesn't have maneuvers and the thread is asking for a spell, so allow me to expand upon the quoted:

1. Have the party wizard cast Heroics on you twice, granting you the Martial Study feat twice.
2. Select any Iron Heart maneuver to learn via the first feat, and Iron Heart Surge as the maneuver learned via the second feat.
3. Use Iron Heart Surge to remove the condition "pregnancy is not at full term yet."
4. ???
5. Profit.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-04, 10:19 AM
Darn, beat me to it.:smallfrown:

...Except that the character in question probably doesn't have maneuvers and the thread is asking for a spell, so allow me to expand upon the quoted:

1. Have the party wizard cast Heroics on you twice, granting you the Martial Study feat twice.
2. Select any Iron Heart maneuver to learn via the first feat, and Iron Heart Surge as the maneuver learned via the second feat.
3. Use Iron Heart Surge to remove the condition "pregnancy is not at full term yet."
4. ???
5. Profit.

6. Battle the Atrophal Scion that resulted from this plan?:smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2011-10-04, 10:41 AM
Remind me never to leave any of my future children with you lot. Ever.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-04, 10:59 AM
Remind me never to leave any of my future children with you lot. Ever.

Thanks! :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2011-10-04, 11:15 AM
Maybe, maybe not, but they certainly haven't had the period of social conditioning. Children are psychopaths, babies even more so, their first thought is themselves and themselves alone.

Infants don't even develop a sense of self until about six months old (http://pregnant.thebump.com/new-mom-new-dad/newborn-basics/qa/when-will-baby-start-to-develop-a-sense-of-self-and-individuality.aspx). This isn't a physiological development hurdle, but a psychological one. Further, premature infants take longer (http://www.babydevelopmentnews.com/prematureinfantdevelopment.html) to develop than full-term infants.

TheJudicator
2011-10-04, 11:52 AM
And now to bring the thread back around...

I was going to suggest the ad&d version haste as a viable, lower-level option for what the op is asking for. Not in wholly speeding the child's growing up phase, but rather for the mother. Age 1 year in the course of a few minutes? A DM could rule that a pregnant woman would have said effects apply on both mother and unborn child.

...actually, that sounds pretty uncomfortable, but fits the theme of "magical".

Alternatively, if the dm isn't cool with a brief cross-edition application of spells, one could suggest a variant of the divine spell Regenerate, and simply call it Generate...seems relatively safe enough, and doesn't require the tediousness or cost of trans-planar travel and/or wishing.

Anyhow, that's my two coppers!

Prime32
2011-10-04, 12:26 PM
Reducing the actual amount of time the child takes to come to term/grow up doesn't sound very wise. My choices would be:

The mother waits in an accelerated time plane until the baby is born, then comes back and hires a nanny.
The mother splits in two somehow; one raises the baby, the other adventures. Eventually they reunify. The Savage Species transformation rituals could be used to change her race to dvati. This may result in the baby being born as a pair of dvati, but this is pretty harmless.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-04, 12:30 PM
Would a simulacrum suffice?

Prime32
2011-10-04, 12:36 PM
Would a simulacrum suffice?For which? You can't make a simulacrum carry a baby for you, you don't have direct control over it, and it's too weak to take your place in an adventuring party.

Knaight
2011-10-04, 12:38 PM
Infants don't even develop a sense of self until about six months old (http://pregnant.thebump.com/new-mom-new-dad/newborn-basics/qa/when-will-baby-start-to-develop-a-sense-of-self-and-individuality.aspx). This isn't a physiological development hurdle, but a psychological one. Further, premature infants take longer (http://www.babydevelopmentnews.com/prematureinfantdevelopment.html) to develop than full-term infants.

That's debatable. It would be more accurate to state that Infants don't perceive a difference in self and world until about six months old, but to say they lack a "sense of self" implies that they perceive some outside entity, but no self, where it is more accurate to say they perceive themselves, but don't perceive anything as an outside entity, with the world being seen as part of the self.

"I am all" and "I am not" are two fundamentally different concepts after all.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-04, 01:59 PM
For which? You can't make a simulacrum carry a baby for you, you don't have direct control over it, and it's too weak to take your place in an adventuring party....but it can foster your child after birth.

That's debatable. It would be more accurate to state that Infants don't perceive a difference in self and world until about six months old, but to say they lack a "sense of self" implies that they perceive some outside entity, but no self, where it is more accurate to say they perceive themselves, but don't perceive anything as an outside entity, with the world being seen as part of the self.

"I am all" and "I am not" are two fundamentally different concepts after all.

That's true. For the purposes of 'psychopathy' as discussed earlier, though, an infant doesn't necessarily fit since they're not motivated entirely by self-gain (seeing as they're primarily motivated by hunger for about the first six months of their lives). That'd make them an animal, not a psychopath.

suhkkaet
2011-10-04, 03:10 PM

I can think of a few possible unwanted sideeffects.
1. Pregnancy goes full term, but your body doesn't. Baby bursts out of stomach (Think Aliens)
2. Time fast-forwards 9 months.
3. Pregnancy goes full term, but baby doesn't. Your body expands etc. in all the ways it would normally do from pregnancy.

To the OP,
Find a druid.
Or, alternatively, use Transfer Pregnancy (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Transfer_Pregnancy_%283.5e_Spell%29).

TheRinni
2011-10-04, 03:37 PM
To the OP,
Find a druid.

How does that help?

Prime32
2011-10-04, 05:31 PM
...but it can foster your child after birth.It's not really you though. A dvati shares a single mind between its two bodies, so you still get to experience everything yourself.

gkathellar
2011-10-04, 05:45 PM
Don't bother having a baby of your own. PAO a rock into one, skip that whole pregnancy hassle.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-04, 05:46 PM
An even more anticlimactic Dispel Magic.

gkathellar
2011-10-04, 05:55 PM
Alternately, you're an adventurer, and adventurers know how to get things done! Acquire a baby through some mixture of theft, murder and arson.

Onikani
2011-10-04, 09:41 PM
Research a new spell called "Childbirth".

Use the Quicken Spell metamagic feat on it.

/thread

Seriously though,
Why not just create/research a spell?
Make something up, add some weird component, go off on a sidequest for said component.
Cast the spell, and have a baby.

Cheers.

lorddrake
2011-10-06, 10:10 AM
I read the title and thought you needed help with the delivery, in which case Dimension Door or a similar teleport could save a lot of aggravation. BoEF is the typical source for all things pregnancy related in D&D, so that is a good resource. Or work something out with your DM, of course.

I'm sorry, but I never ever thought anyone would say "good resource" and BoEF in the same sentence!

Anyway...

I'd still think a vacation to the group is a good idea!
Maybe even the villains need some time to rest and prepare the next lair of doom... except if they're some kind of undead...

TheRinni
2011-10-06, 10:42 AM
Alternately, you're an adventurer, and adventurers know how to get things done! Acquire a baby through some mixture of theft, murder and arson.
While that would be an absolute hysterical way of going about things, it kind of ruins my plans for an accidental pregnancy.

I'd still think a vacation to the group is a good idea!
Maybe even the villains need some time to rest and prepare the next lair of doom... except if they're some kind of undead...
Sadly, I don't have the most accommodating group. One player in particular would be all too eager to move along without her - as she is the only thing standing between his character and the role of Captain on our pirate ship. I can hear it now. He would bitch and moan about it for weeks.
Seriously though,
Why not just create/research a spell?
Make something up, add some weird component, go off on a sidequest for said component.
Because my DM is very much against any form of homebrew. If I managed to convince him to use a 3rd party source, like BoEF, it'd be a miracle.

It sounds like Plane Shifting is my best bet. Thank you, everyone!

Cerlis
2011-10-06, 11:16 AM
well, wouldnt a magic item that gave you a dex bonus cancel out (mostly) your main weakness.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 02:45 PM
Because my DM is very much against any form of homebrew. If I managed to convince him to use a 3rd party source, like BoEF, it'd be a miracle.

It sounds like Plane Shifting is my best bet. Thank you, everyone!

Well, considering your DM is about to have to deal with rules on pregnancy, and BoEF is the only source i know of with trimester statistics, you probably got a good shot of convincing him to let you use the book.

If he doesn't go for the plane shift bit, I would try surgically implanting a extra-dimensional space into your womb and feed the umbilical cord through the opening. That way you can carry your baby to term without suffering any discomfort or battle penalties. Not to mention the baby will be a little bit safer. For instance, a stab wound through the gut won't kill the baby. And also you won't have a big pooch, making you a target for sadistic demons (ooo pregnant lady, i'm thinking evil thoughts). And you also won't suffer stretch marks or ruin your girlish figure.

Then when it is time to give birth to the baby, have a wizard teleport the baby out. Then you don't have to ruin your V-jay either.

Slipperychicken
2011-10-06, 03:21 PM
The Power of Plot.

Get some diety or other powerful entity to do one of the following (according to taste): Have the baby "fast-forward" into a newborn and appear in your arms, or have it go straight to being whatever age you think would be appropriate for adventuring. For the latter, you basically get a cohort, RP potential, and be sure to include clauses for its mind/body to be developed as though it experienced a wonderful childhood/adolescence with mommy's love&care, adventure training, etc. for X years (and for you to gain memories of raising it, naturally).

Bonus points if you have to quest and/or sacrifice something really important for the service. Because what you're really trying to do is dodge motherly responsibility and be a mother at the same time.

[Personally]: It would feel more thematic to either wait until you retire from adventuring to be a mother, have intense RP (Big Decision: adventurer or mother?), or else have the kid raised by someone else (clergy, family, friends, powerful entities all come to mind) until you're done. But YMMV.

Drelua
2011-10-06, 03:33 PM
Once you deal with the pregnancy, just do what I've been planning to do with a cleric or fighter or something; leave him on the doorstep of a church to be raised by them. But not just any church; make it a temple of Kord, and pick up your kid in 15 years when he's tough as hell. That might be my next character that was raised by priests of Kord, I'm not sure yet.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-06, 03:38 PM
Once you deal with the pregnancy, just do what I've been planning to do with a cleric or fighter or something; leave him on the doorstep of a church to be raised by them. But not just any church; make it a temple of Kord, and pick up your kid in 15 years when he's tough as hell. That might be my next character that was raised by priests of Kord, I'm not sure yet.

And he/she would agree to come with the people who abandoned him/her 15 years ago to continue being murderous hobos?

Drelua
2011-10-06, 03:44 PM
And he/she would agree to come with the people who abandoned him/her 15 years ago to continue being murderous hobos?

Hey, I never said it was a perfect plan. I'm sure you could find some excuse, like the priests sending your kid on some mission that involves working with your group. Wait, the obvious solution would be to visit frequently. Besides, it's not like Kord has a problem with murderous hobos; have you seen that beard?

Leaving him at a church still sounds like a better solution than your character either not adventuring anymore or bringing a baby, and you'll be able to visit whenever you want, as long as you have someone to cast (preferably greater) teleport.

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 03:44 PM
Then when it is time to give birth to the baby, have a wizard teleport the baby out. Then you don't have to ruin your V-jay either.

This seems like it has tremendous room for something biologically horrible to take place.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-06, 03:49 PM
This seems like it has tremendous room for something biologically horrible to take place.

I think the threshold of 'biological horribleness' was crossed at the line of 'surgically implanting an extradimensional space into your abdomen'. Let's hope you pick a Bag of Holding and not a Bag of Devouring...

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 03:51 PM
I think the threshold of 'biological horribleness' was crossed at the line of 'surgically implanting an extradimensional space into your abdomen'. Let's hope you pick a Bag of Holding and not a Bag of Devouring...

No, I meant something bad happening. I'm fine with terrifying transhuman womb development, but let's just hope that Greater Restoration makes someone's body recognize it's not pregnant anymore after the baby just ups and vanishes.

Pink
2011-10-06, 03:53 PM
If he doesn't go for the plane shift bit, I would try surgically implanting a extra-dimensional space into your womb and feed the umbilical cord through the opening. That way you can carry your baby to term without suffering any discomfort or battle penalties. Not to mention the baby will be a little bit safer. For instance, a stab wound through the gut won't kill the baby. And also you won't have a big pooch, making you a target for sadistic demons (ooo pregnant lady, i'm thinking evil thoughts). And you also won't suffer stretch marks or ruin your girlish figure.

O.o I...have no words.

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 03:56 PM

I don't think delivery by teleportation would even work, since you'd lack Line of Effect to the baby, since it's inside the mother. Since it's a Touch spell, I suppose you could reach in but that sounds like it would defeat the purpose of doing it that way. Plus, gah, that sounds just as horrifying. :smalleek:

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 04:04 PM
I don't think delivery by teleportation would even work, since you'd lack Line of Effect to the baby, since it's inside the mother. Since it's a Touch spell, I suppose you could reach in but that sounds like it would defeat the purpose of doing it that way. Plus, gah, that sounds just as horrifying. :smalleek:

You'd just have to turn incorporeal first.

This thread is rapidly becoming an exercise in terror.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-06, 04:06 PM
Lesson learned: This is why gamers don't breed - we shouldn't, we'd be awful parents.

dgnslyr
2011-10-06, 04:07 PM
Why teleport the baby when you can teleport the mother a few feet to the left and have the baby stay put? Just make sure you have something soft for the kid to land on.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 04:15 PM

The touch part can be bypassed via some ethereal magic. But the easier way would be a simple D door.

The baby is a creature now. So the wizard casts Dimension Door and touches the mommy. But the wizard decides not to share the D. Door with the baby. Mommy and wizard teleport 5 feet away and the rogue catches the baby before it hits the ground.

Or an alternative would be to cast a spell on the mommy to make her ethereal. If it is a single target spell then it will only affect 1 creature. So it will effect the mommy making her ethereal. And the baby will stay solid and fall right out !SCHLOOP! =) (again have the rogue catch the baby)

A third way is to buy a scroll of regroup. Or have a caster with regroup. Have mommy lie down on in a sea of pillows (with towels over them so they don't get ruined cuz newborn babies are gross.) Cast regroup- the baby is not an ally so he/she does not get to come. Baby falls on pillows. Prestidigitation to tie the umby cord and clean the nasty off the baby.

Hurray magic:smallbiggrin:! Boo natural birth:furious:!

Edit: i got super ninja'd ; ;

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 04:35 PM
You'd just have to turn incorporeal first.

This thread is rapidly becoming an exercise in terror.

You'd have to have it be a Transdimensional Spell to work and have some way to interact with creatures on the Material while you're Ethereal/Incorporeal/whatever, which would probably be dealt with with some Ghost Touch gloves or gauntlets. But yeah, I suppose that's one way to deal with it.

This also brings into when exactly the baby is treated as another creature, which would be related to arguments on when the baby is treated as alive, which is probably not something we can discuss on the forums, anyways.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 04:36 PM
Also adventuring with a baby shouldn't be hard or dangerous.

There is lots of options for baby safety.

#1 put him in the same place all wiz/sor put their familiar when its not being useful. Ta-da safe baby.

#2 Tenser's Floating Disk makes a great Stroller.

#3 Unseen servant = Babysitter

#4 Simulacrum= Temporary to long time Parental Supervision

#5 Tasha's hideous laughter = happy baby.

#6 Prestidigitation= clean baby

#7 Any Mordenkainen extra dimensional temporary lodging spell = safe place for baby to be while still being close to mommy.

#8 Create food = infinite Gerber

#9 Animate object= also a good crib

#10 dancing lights= spinny thing that makes babies go YAY.

#11 Creation spells= infinite baby toys

#12 Several castings of Modify memory or Probe Thoughts or the psionic power that does the same thing= Instant perfect childhood no matter how bad you did AND a perfect control over your babies grasp of morality and personal values.

See an adventurer can be a doting mother and still end up with a wonderful child. She just needs money to pay a caster, or a friend who is a caster, or to be a caster herself. Looks like Wizards are Tier 1 mommy's too.

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 04:50 PM

:smalleek: Seriously?!? Forcing it to laugh against its will is happiness?

#9 Animate object= also a good crib

Stroller and entertainer, perhaps.

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 04:59 PM

Oh god this is awesome horrible I don't even know.

#6 Prestidigitation= clean baby

This makes me feel odd, as a person. I don't know why.

#12 Several castings of Modify memory or Probe Thoughts or the psionic power that does the same thing= Instant perfect childhood no matter how bad you did AND a perfect control over your babies grasp of morality and personal values.

What is this I don't even

Looks like Wizards are Tier 1 mommy's too.

... you should write a handbook thread.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 05:06 PM

Sure, why not :smalltongue:

People tickle their babies and kids all the time. It is the same thing.

And if you find out later that it was emotionally crippling, you can just use probe thoughts or memory modification to remove the memory or even better, change the way the child saw that moment. Example: Before the spell they looked upon the memory with horror, being forced to laugh against their will was traumatic. After the spell, being overcome with laughter was the best feeling ever and they didn't mind at all that they couldn't control themselves because laughing was so much fun and My mom is definitely the best mom ever.

Also you might ask " how will you know what is and isn't traumatic?"
The answer their is probe thoughts. Any good mother should periodically invade the mind of their offspring so they can closely monitor how the child reacted to new experience. Such diligent parenting allows for easy opportunities to change the child's memory to the proper response.

Example: If you find out that seeing the red dragon made the child feel powerless and was leading to your child becoming a fear ruled sissy, you would have the perfect opportunity to remove that unwanted reaction. Now your child thinks that seeing the Red Dragon made them scared sure, but they know that fear is just a defensive mechanism and can't be allowed to paralyze a person. And furthermore, seeing such a powerful force of evil laid testament to fact that evil is powerful and so the forces of good must overcome their weakness and fear and rise to the challenge.

In this scenario, your parental diligence has led to your child becoming a great hero of renowned character, instead of a spineless git.

KoboldCleric
2011-10-06, 05:06 PM
Plans for an accidental pregnancy.

Explain please.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 05:07 PM
... you should write a handbook thread.

Oooh, maybe i will.

"Gotterdammerung's Guide to Tier 1 Child Rearing"

It has a nice ring to it :smalltongue:

Frosty
2011-10-06, 05:11 PM
Too bad that mommy doesn't have any grasp of morality... :smallamused:

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 05:12 PM
Too bad that mommy doesn't have any grasp of morality... :smallamused:

True parents make sacrifices so that their children can be better than they were.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-06, 05:18 PM
True parents make sacrifices so that their children can be better than they were.

And by "sacrifices" you mean "spend one single spell slot or a small amount of your money to give your child fake memories and let you abuse them however you want".

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-06, 05:23 PM
Looks like Wizards are Tier 1 mommy's too.

...oh god, why couldn't my mommy be a wizard?!

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 05:24 PM
And by "sacrifices" you mean "spend one single spell slot or a small amount of your money to give your child fake memories and let you abuse them however you want".

Nope, by sacrifices i mean laying your own morality to the side so you can take what others might consider immoral actions, all so that your child can have the opportunity to transcend human weakness and ascend to perfection.

Also, I hardly see altering your child's memories for the better as "abuse".
Are you saying that if your child witnessed a horrible murder that scarred him for life and you had the power to remove the memory and replace it with puppies, ... you are saying that you wouldn't use that power? You.. are.. heartless.. and evil.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-06, 05:46 PM
Nope, by sacrifices i mean laying your own morality to the side so you can take what others might consider immoral actions, all so that your child can have the opportunity to transcend human weakness and ascend to perfection.

Are you saying that if your child witnessed a horrible murder that scarred him for life and you had the power to remove the memory and replace it with puppies, ... you are saying that you wouldn't use that power? You.. are.. heartless.. and evil.

But that's not what you advocated. You suggested programming an entire set of memories and behaviors in from scratch, regardless of what actually happened. As is, all you're advocating is a process to build an intelligent flesh golem with a grossly extended construction period - you've already hand-crafted its memories, personality, beliefs, and thought patterns, why not keep on going and make it utterly loyal to you and employ it as a pawn in multiversal domination?

Chilingsworth
2011-10-06, 06:07 PM
Oooh, maybe i will.

"Gotterdammerung's Guide to Tier 1 Child Rearing"

It has a nice ring to it :smalltongue:

Definately do this!

Kogak
2011-10-06, 06:13 PM

I do not have the books on hand so I am not certain, but most of those spells allow for a saving throw if given reason to doubt, do they not? As a child this would be no problem but it would be really bad if the BBEG of the kid's future does his homework and makes him doubt his childhood when his saves do not suck.

With that in mind it would be best to modify the reactions to memories instead of the entire memory itself. "I saw a murder and the injustice filled me with anger" instead, for instance.

TheRinni
2011-10-06, 06:25 PM
You suggested programming an entire set of memories and behaviors in from scratch, regardless of what actually happened. As is, all you're advocating is a process to build an intelligent flesh golem with a grossly extended construction period - you've already hand-crafted its memories, personality, beliefs, and thought patterns, why not keep on going and make it utterly loyal to you and employ it as a pawn in multiversal domination?

Does this sound like an awesome character backstory to anyone else? Next time I roll up a Lawful Good Paladin, this is going to be the dirty little secret behind his childhood.

Explain please.
I repeat: accidental pregnancy. I don't know how else to explain it. Other than, maybe, "Oops, we were drunk and forgot to cast Block the Seed"?

What I mean is this: I, as a player, would like to have the opportunity to roleplay motherhood as a typical adventurer. However, I doubt my character would plan for something like this. Hence, this may end up being an in-game accident brought about by out-of-game motivations.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 06:32 PM
But that's not what you advocated. You suggested programming an entire set of memories and behaviors in from scratch, regardless of what actually happened. As is, all you're advocating is a process to build an intelligent flesh golem with a grossly extended construction period - you've already hand-crafted its memories, personality, beliefs, and thought patterns, why not keep on going and make it utterly loyal to you and employ it as a pawn in multiversal domination?

Because if i made it loyal to me and used it in a pawn for multiversal domination that would make me a bad parent and a selfish git. I am choosing my childs memories, sure, but i am choosing them with the purpose of making him the most well adjusted, intelligent, good human it can be. Manipulation is not always a bad thing.

I do not have the books on hand so I am not certain, but most of those spells allow for a saving throw if given reason to doubt, do they not? As a child this would be no problem but it would be really bad if the BBEG of the kid's future does his homework and makes him doubt his childhood when his saves do not suck.

With that in mind it would be best to modify the reactions to memories instead of the entire memory itself. "I saw a murder and the injustice filled me with anger" instead, for instance.

There are several spells that do this. Probe thoughts isnt the one i was thinking of but i know there is a enhanced version. There is also a psionic version, and modify memory and programed amnesia. Each one has different limits. But even in the ones where it says the target might figure it out later, it says that only happens when something incongruous is present. The example given was changing a pld into an ex pld by changing his alignment. There is evidence afterward, that something is amiss.

Making changes to how the child responded to events is less risky. It would be very hard for a BBEG to contradict the childs memories. Almost all the examples i gave were of using the spell to change the childs reaction to an event. I mean BBEG says "remember when you saw that red dragon? You were scared out of your mind and your mom changed your memory so you wouldn't be scared of it!" First off, how the hell did he know? Second, the child did see the dragon so he remembers how he reacted in the fake memory, he has no reason to doubt the fake memory and says "Your looney toons, my mom is the best mom ever." or he says "Don't talk about my momma aaaaargh! CHop!" or he might pull from all the other memories that helped build his character to epic heights and not succumb to massive self doubt. He might say " Even if what you say is true, i can see why my mother wouldn't want me to carry the fear of that day. And i love her for giving me such a strong memory to replace it. I see the truth in her false memory, fiend. And today i let its lesson drive me. I shan't be afraid for fear is the mind killer. And as powerful evil stands before me, I shall take heed my mothers advice and rise to the challenge. For good must take the strength of evil as nothing but a challenge to be risen to. Your words hold more deceit than my mothers love. And my mind is immune to their poison. Such petty tricks show me that you fear defeat. You are wise to fear it BBEG. For today, you die."

And in the cases of complete memory wipes, you just have to be careful about it is all.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-06, 06:39 PM
Because if i made it loyal to me and used it in a pawn for multiversal domination that would make me a bad parent and a selfish git. I am choosing my childs memories, sure, but i am choosing them with the purpose of making him the most well adjusted, intelligent, good human it can be. Manipulation is not always a bad thing.

It's not just about the manipulation, it's about how you advocated it as a freedom from any of that nasty, icky business of having to do work to raise a child.

So, according to this, it's entirely Good and OK to have a kid, promptly abandon them to survive and grow up as a homeless street rat constantly struggling and starving while your character goes off and has adventures or lounges on the beach sipping fruit drinks, then come back years later, track them down (assuming they survived), and Mindrape them into having a childhood where you were always around, caring for them and giving them tenderness and awesome birthday presents, and incidentally 'murdering' the person they actually were to replace them with your idealized child. Really, how is this anything but the deepest levels of Evil?

This actually does sound like a cool character background though.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 06:49 PM
It's not just about the manipulation, it's about how you advocated it as a freedom from any of that nasty, icky business of having to do work to raise a child.

On the contrary, I posted all this in response to the idea that carrying a child with you on an adventure was an impossible endeavor. All of my posts have been to show that an adventurer can keep their child close as they fight evil. Protecting them from the dangers all the while. And showing them plenty of attention and love. While all of these tricks can be abused to "get away with being a ****ty parent", my examples have all been under the presumption that they were the actions of an adventuring mother, who loves her child. Admittedly, some of them were facetious for the purpose of humor, but even the joke actions could still be the actions of a good intentioned mother.

So, according to this, it's entirely Good and OK to have a kid, promptly abandon them to survive and grow up as a homeless street rat constantly struggling and starving while your character goes off and has adventures or lounges on the beach sipping fruit drinks, then come back years later, track them down (assuming they survived), and Mindrape them into having a childhood where you were always around, caring for them and giving them tenderness and awesome birthday presents, and incidentally 'murdering' the person they actually were to replace them with your idealized child. Really, how is this anything but the deepest levels of Evil?

This actually does sound like a cool character background though.

This scenario of mind rape is a possible outcome of abusing the tactics i have proposed. But it is not the intended use.

Whether or not this would be good or evil depends on the intentions of the mother. But this is NOT the scenario i proposed. In my scenario there was never abandonment.

And yes I agree with these statements of "cool pld background story."
A secret story like this could definitely explain why a pld is so full of virtue.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-06, 06:51 PM
There's still the fact that the kid is still living in a world of sunshine and rainbows (and not Burning Hate sunshine, either) until they grow up.

TheRinni
2011-10-06, 07:00 PM
There's still the fact that the kid is still living in a world of sunshine and rainbows (and not Burning Hate sunshine, either) until they grow up.

Many parents have been known to hurt their children through overprotective tendencies. While misguided, these parents could have nothing but good intentions. It would be a problem, certainly, but not an alignment-changing one.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-06, 07:15 PM

Not exactly. If you used the memory modification to completely erase every conflict, negative emotion, and bad event then you would get a sunshine carebears hippy kid, sure. But as i proposed, The alteration is only meant to give the child a outlook on an event that is wise beyond his years. You would not simply remove all adversity from the childs life. But you would shape how he viewed that adversity.

When you couple this with real life guidance and frequent lessons, you get a strong framework for morality, wisdom and intelligence.

Let's take a real life scenario. The child's first day of school. He has a low self esteem and feels nervous around all the other kids. So he goofs off and does stupid things to try to impress everyone. The kids laugh. This rewards the behavior and he spirals into the position of cut up or class clown. He doesn't focus on his studies, or his character development. Only one thing becomes important to him, making the other kids laugh. When they laugh, he feels wanted, accepted, and loved.

Now if a parent had access to magic of this caliber, they could of read his mind when he got home that first day, bolstered his self esteem issues, and replaced the motivation for cutting up. Now in the childs mind the day went like this:
I was confident on my first day and eager to learn but i thought it necessary to break the ice and make friends by being delightfully entertaining. I have successfully gained the favor of my classmates and will continue to maintain my social relations on a healthy level. I am excited about tomorrow, because i will get to learn. Learning makes me a stronger person.

This is just a small scenario. And it shows how you altered your childs behavior without changing what actually happened. And steered him towards a well adjusted middle road. The other extreme would make a good scenario as well. Many bookworms have a bad social experience and thereafter find that they can only find solace in being smart. When the teacher says good job, they feel wanted accepted and loved. Society thinks these people are doing fine, but inside they are socially inept and very insecure.

Using magic to be aware of your childs mental growth is an incredible parenting tool. And being able to shape that growth with the utmost control can give your child the best of both worlds. By high school he is both an intelligent book worm and the most popular kid. While the first kid is very popular but will most likely be a failure in life (unless he becomes a famous comedian but fat chance). And the Brainy kid is a social pariah. He can do well in life on the outside, but on the inside he is a psychological wreck usually with low self esteem issues, anger management issues, issues with failure, and often social disorders.

TheJudicator
2011-10-06, 09:26 PM
Just a slight interjection, and late in the discussion, and since we're all going into the terrible deal, I just gotta add this.

Gottadammerung, you didn't mention using Sleep as a parenting tool?

I speak this one from experience DMing a campaign. One of my characters just so happens to be a wizard, father of four. After having just rescued his family from demons, he needed to calm them down so they could escape quietly. The kids were obviously frightened. What does he do? -Sleep- zzzzz..... ..nuff said.

Adventurers: doing parenting wrong...or absolutely right! (hey, somebody should make that a motivator to go with the handbook...)

Fax Celestis
2011-10-06, 11:57 PM
Definately do this!

Please don't. I'm offended enough by this thread's current course.

The Succubus
2011-10-07, 05:42 AM

One word - YouTube. :smalltongue:

stainboy
2011-10-07, 08:50 AM
How did we go from using spells to get babies to stop crying to psychically programming babies to psychically programming school-age children? Slippery slope is slippery. I am very glad none of this is real.

lorddrake
2011-10-07, 03:40 PM
How did we go from using spells to get babies to stop crying to psychically programming babies to psychically programming school-age children? Slippery slope is slippery. I am very glad none of this is real.

You should be happy because nobodymentioned Hitler yet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law)... Ops, I kinda did it :smallfrown:

stainboy
2011-10-07, 06:25 PM
You can't deliberately Godwin a thread just to stop discussion. You know who else tried to silence people who disagreed with them? The Nazis, that's who.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-07, 07:32 PM
Well, it's better then discussing parental abuse through magic. *squick*

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-07, 08:06 PM
Well, it's better then discussing parental abuse through magic. *squick*

Some people would disagree with you and say that the stuff i previously proposed was parental abuse. But I wholeheartedly disagree with those people.

On a side note, there are plenty of ways for an adventurer to truly abuse their children.

#1 Take graft feats and deform your child against its will. Bonus points if they are fiendish grafts and end up corrupting the baby.

#2 create a certain kind of undead and command it to age your child to adulthood so that it isnt so hard to look after it.

#3 parts out the baby to power some BoVD spells, and then raise it as a slaymate.

#4 cast silence on the baby when it won't stop crying or is generally being annoying.

#5 Animate scary undead to babysit or carry the baby around.

#6 use memory altering spells to turn your baby into something you can use to strengthen your personal power.

#7 Throw the baby at the hungry monster before you flee, as a diversion.

#8 PoA the baby into an exact duplicate of yourself, 50/50 chance to foil assassination attempts.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 08:12 PM
#4 cast silence on the baby when it won't stop crying or is generally being annoying.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter is just as bad as this.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-07, 08:39 PM
Tasha's Hideous Laughter is just as bad as this.

well i said tasha's as a joke but honestly its not as bad as people are making it out to be. Its just magical tickling. People tickle their kids all the time.

But silencing your baby to stop it from annoying you with its awful crying is just plain neglect. So i don't see how you could compare the two.

Cieyrin
2011-10-07, 08:53 PM
#7 Throw the baby at the hungry monster before you flee, as a diversion.

Someone played Peasant's Quest, I see...

Kogak
2011-10-08, 05:11 AM
#5 Animate scary undead to babysit or carry the baby around.

Depending on the "scary undead" definition, a mummy (no pun intended) would make a great undead babysitter. Intelligent enough to react to dangers, but not typically intelligent enough to ransom it against you... not to mention lawful.

Gaiyamato
2011-10-08, 06:01 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there are spells for this in the Book of Erotic Fantasy. Level 5 Druid spell if I recall correctly.

Makes you age a bit though.

Oh and there is a spell that could add the Celestial template (or fiendish) to your baby as well.

I also think the spell could be used a second time to age your baby into their mid-teen years. Though how that affects mental development I am not sure.

Gaiyamato
2011-10-08, 06:09 AM
Sorry Druid level 9.
Page 105 of the Book of Erotic Fantasy. Fecund Growth will age your baby by 1 age category (and you and anyone nearby as well).

I am fairly sure that "just conceived" is only one age category from "being born".

The other side of things are of course is that the GM may rule that you don't actually give birth.. the baby just ages to the age of 15 inside you....

The other drawback is that for 1 hour the baby will be size Large... errm.. BEFORE you give birth.

So research a spell called "Morphine". Srsly.

OH and Blessed Seed was the spell to give them the half celestial template.

Keld Denar
2011-10-25, 07:13 PM
The Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge has this:

Irnar's Polaroidic Pregnancy
Trasmutation
Level: Clr 7, Mdw 6, Src/ Wiz 6
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: 1 pregnant creature
Duration: permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell will speed up the pregnancy of a woman from 9 stages to 9 hours (1 hour for each stage left until birth). The pregnant woman must make a system shock when its time to give birth. Success indicates that the birth is successful, failure indicates that the child dies and the woman suffers a permanent -1 reduction to constitution.
'Irnar is still researching, but the priestesses of the Mother Goddess are doing their damndest to hunt him down and destroy his research, it is a violation if their creed, although they are hampered by some priest of Healing, who can see the healing possibilities in 'Irna's spells.

Don't think anyone's checked that source. Unlike the BoEF or the BoN:BM, BoUCK actually has quite a few spells dealing with pregnancy, rather than just sex.

Hope the OP is still around and sees this...

EDIT: Wierd...its a 3.0 source, but has rules for System Shock. I remember BoUCK from 2e, it was probably a poorly edited upgrade.