PDA

View Full Version : PF-Build: Adamantine Wall

grarrrg
2011-10-01, 11:44 AM
This build is based around the Oracle Life Mystery Revelation "Life Link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/life)".
Life Link allows you to make a 'bond' with another character, and every turn they are healed (if needed) for 5 hp, while you are damaged for 5 hp.

I call it the Adamantine Wall because it is the opposite approach of the typical Glass Cannon. This build seeks to absorb damage, not (necessarily) dish it out.

Min. recommended build: Oracle 7/Holy Vindicator 3
Oracle 7 gets you 3 revelations, your first Curse bonus, and (with the Channel Revelation) get you the Bab to qualify for Holy Vindicator.
Holy Vindicator is mainly for the Faith Healing ability at level 3. Faith Healing lets all of your Cure Wounds spells affect you as if they were Empowered (+50%). It also advances Channeling power, Caster level (minus 1), and grants Heavy Armor prof.

A full build would be another 9 levels of Oracle bringing you up to Oracle 16. Oracle 17 is a 'dead level', instead either take another level of Holy Vindicator, or throw in a level of Gunslinger (early in the build), Mysterious Stranger archetype, to gain some decent offensive punch. Either way you still gain 9th level spells and 16 Bab.

For feats, you need Element/Alignment Channel for Holy Vindicator, recommend taking Selective Channel so you can burst heal yourself/friends without helping opponents.
Fey Foundling is a 1st level only feat that lets you heal +2hp per die from magical healing.
Fast Healer would be nice if it didn't require 2 stinker feats.

For your other Revelations:
Enhanced Cures replaces the normal limit on Cure spells with your Oracle level (useful to squeeze some extra healing out of Cure Light spells)
Spirit Boost lets you overheal targets (healing in excess of max HP becomes temp HP)
Safe Curing does not provoke AoO's when you cast healing spells.
Energy Body can be a steady source of self healing, with the occasional ally heal thrown in.

Infernal Healing is a nice/evil spell to help out, gives Fast Healing 1 to the target for 1 minute, and the Greater version gives Fast Heal 4.

ericgrau
2011-10-01, 03:19 PM
I did something similar with the spell shield other that worked pretty well. I'll add the fast healer feat where you get +2 HP per heal so when you swift/move(energy body)/standard heal every round that's 6 more HP. I also made con my primary stat and took diehard, because in PF you die at -con HP not -10. Reach spell also helps shield other a lot, plus that trait that lets you get 1 level of free metamagic on a specific spell if you need to survive low levels. With damage nicely distributed channel energy becomes better than most other healing options.

I'd say it's better than life link and I wouldn't get both until I felt safe enough to shield other every ally, which could take a while.

Never noticed holy vindicator before I think I know what to do with my next levels. I really only need 2nd level spells anyway, so losing 1 caster level is no big deal. Rage prophet 2 (raging healer) and stalwart defender 1 dips are also tempting for big HD and a ridiculous con, though rage prophet would probably be last due to pre-reqs.

grarrrg
2011-10-01, 04:14 PM
I did something similar with the spell shield other that worked pretty well. I'll add the fast healer feat where you get +2 HP per heal so when you swift/move(energy body)/standard heal every round that's 6 more HP. I also made con my primary stat and took diehard, because in PF you die at -con HP not -10.
stalwart defender 1 dips are also tempting for big HD and a ridiculous con, though rage prophet would probably be last due to pre-reqs.

Wow, forgot about Shield Other.
Although I must point out that 'life sharing' can be very dangerous at low levels, no matter how you go about it. So until 'the healer' reaches a decent threshold of hp, they should just go about as a normal caster.
Thus while you 'can' take Life Link as your level 1 Revelation, you probably shouldn't.

They each have their advantages. Shield Other is generally more powerful, but Life Link doesn't eat up spell slots and can heal after the damage is done.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-01, 04:27 PM
...sort of? You can turn shield other off.

Duration 1 hour/level (D)

(D) Dismissible

If the duration line ends with “(D),” you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell's effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell's verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

Curious
2011-10-01, 04:33 PM
Sine this build focuses on healing and hp, having a source of infinite healing via Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat) and Spark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spark) may be useful.

grarrrg
2011-10-01, 05:13 PM

*edits post*I have no idea to what it is that you are referring...
*grumbles about stupid little letters thrown everywhere on spell descriptions when the stupid designer people could have just spelled more stuff out*

Sine this build focuses on healing and hp, having a source of infinite healing via Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat) and Spark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spark) may be useful.

That.... might just work. The only real catch I see is that "Glorious Heat" seems more intent on healing 'allies'.
Then again, by the game definition, the term 'ally' includes yourself. So....

grarrrg
2011-10-02, 10:55 AM
...Rage prophet 2 (raging healer) and stalwart defender 1 dips are also tempting for big HD and a ridiculous con, though rage prophet would probably be last due to pre-reqs.

If you mainly want high HP goodness, then forget Stalwart Defender (and maybe Barb/Rage Prophet too), what you want is 6 levels of Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/dragon-disciple).
1 level of Sorc/Bard/Summoner, gets you into a d12HD class that gets a +2 Con bonus at the 6th level. You also get 2 Bloodline Feats, of which Toughness is on the list.

ericgrau
2011-10-02, 11:52 AM
DD only advances arcane casting. 6 levels of that is a painful price for 2 con. Stalwart defender lets you plant yourself down and get 4 con, rage likewise. You need raging healer to cast cures while raging though; dunno how channel energy is affected. Stalwart defender OTOH merely requires 3 feats, of which the build needs 2 anyway.

Zaq
2011-10-02, 12:01 PM
Is this strictly PF, or is 3.5 material allowed as well? If you can snag one of the many, many forms of fast healing out there (a dip in Dragon Shaman or the feat Draconic Aura [arguably] can get you always-on FH up to 1/2 your max), this might be better.

Of course, you could also just give your allies FH, but I imagine that you're not looking to do that.

grarrrg
2011-10-02, 12:56 PM
DD only advances arcane casting. 6 levels of that is a painful price for 2 con. Stalwart defender lets you plant yourself down and get 4 con, rage likewise. You need raging healer to cast cures while raging though; dunno how channel energy is affected. Stalwart defender OTOH merely requires 3 feats, of which the build needs 2 anyway.

Rage Prophet level stack with Oracle levels to determine Curse/Revelation powers, so Rage Prophet will help channeling.

Granted its only +2 Con verses what you get from Rage, but Rage has a duration whereas DD +Con is permanent.

Let's see...
Oracle 4 gets 2nd level spells, 2 Revelations (Life>Channel is one) and +3 bab.
Then a level of Bard or Summoner for Spontaneous Arcane (better HP than Sorc).
Take Dragon Disciple for 6 levels, getting +4 levels Arcane casting, +2 Con, Toughness as a bonus feat, and giving you enough Bab for...
Holy Vindicator for 3 levels to get Faith Healing.
We are now at level 14 with
6d12+3d10+5d8 HP (78 avg plus Con/Toughness bonus) Divine Casting level 6 (spont), Arcane Casting level 5 (spont), and Channel for 4d6.
From here you can take the last 6 levels in whatever you wish.
Mystic Theurge is an additional option now, and will get your casting up to Divine 12/Arcane 11, albeit with only d6HD.

Is this strictly PF, or is 3.5 material allowed as well?

Mostly sticking to PF, although a list of 3.5 stuff would be nice.

ericgrau
2011-10-02, 05:06 PM
6 caster levels to cure an extra 3d8+6 (cure spell, if not heal) averaging to 19.5 or 3d6 (channel) averaging to 10.5 to self and all allies every round is better than the extra 12+level HP you get from 6 levels of dragon disciple. Toughness doesn't count b/c even without DD you will grab toughness anyway; the extra feat only means you can afford a 7th (or whatever nth) feat, which is going to be something more minor.

Since both defensive stance and rage are based on con, this build's primary stat, they last a long time even on a dip. Since what requires "concentration or patience" while raging is a bit vague, it's best to check with your DM before trying to channel energy ("channeling the power of her faith through her holy (or unholy) symbol"). Stalwart defender is a better dip anyway. Holy vindicator might be better too if you combine it with combat healer.

Oh snap, no one mentioned combat healer yet. That's gotta be the 3rd best revelation after channel and energy body. At high levels it's maybe even better than energy body. I mean a free quickened cure serious wounds is about 20 HP and it only gets better as your cure spells improve.

Glimbur
2011-10-02, 07:06 PM

There is a caveat to that though:
(D) Dismissible

If the duration line ends with “(D),” you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell's effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell's verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

Meaning that you can't dismiss the spell unless it is your turn. At low levels it is quite possible to go from full health to dead in one round, especially if fighting multiple foes with (un)lucky crits.

grarrrg
2011-10-03, 09:03 AM
Alright, dropping the idea of maximizing HP...

How about Oracle 15, Holy Vindicator 4, Cleric 1?
Based on the most favorable interpretation of Holy Vindicator Channel Energy, it would stack with BOTH Oracle and Cleric. Assuming a Cha of only 20, that's 6 uses of 10d6 channel, and 8 uses of 3d6 channel. Even if it only stacks with one class, we can apply it all to Cleric and end up with 6-of-8d6 and 8-of-3d6
Average single target healing of various Channel stacking combinations (assuming Cha of 20)
No levels of Cleric
6 - 10d6 = 210
Stacks with both
6 - 10d6 + 8 - 3d6 = 294
Stacks with Oracle only
6 - 10d6 + 8 - 1d6 = 238
Stacks with Cleric only
6 - 8d6 + 8 - 3d6 = 252
That 1 level of Cleric also gives us a couple 1st level spells, doubles our Orisons, and gives us 2 domain abilities (albiet at effective level of 1, recommend picking domains based on other bonuses, like "+1 saves" from Protection)

Oh snap, no one mentioned combat healer yet. That's gotta be the 3rd best revelation after channel and energy body. At high levels it's maybe even better than energy body. I mean a free quickened cure serious wounds is about 20 HP and it only gets better as your cure spells improve.

While its expensive at 2-slots for 1 spell, it can still be handy in an emergency, VERY limited number of uses however (only 3-day at level 15).
Its still worth taking, but Safe Curing or Spirit Boost are generally more useful.

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-03, 12:05 PM
Useful 3.5 things.

Troll blooded - Regeneration at level 1. Now you just pass out if your damage cap is reached. Requires toughness and is regonal. May require human, depending on how you read the feat reqs.

Dragon Shaman 1 - an aura provides fast healing up to 1/2 hp for the whole party.

Healing touch reserve feat - heal up to 1/2 hp as much as you want so long as you have a cure spell able to cast.

subject42
2011-10-03, 12:47 PM
If you allow Dreamscarred Press psionics, you could work this very nicely with a Wilder as well.

Take one level of Oracle for life link, then move into Psionics. A rough build would look something like this.

Elan Oracle 1/(Student) Wilder 4/Thrallherd 1/Metamind X

You'll get Psicrystal Affinity as a bonus feat from Wilder, then you'll need to take Expanded Knowledge at 5th level for mindlink. You'll probably also want to take the Psionic Knack trait that gives back 2 manifester levels that get lost to multiclassing (think of it it like a gimped practiced manifester).

Once you get a Thrall, you'll want to hide in an adamantine backpack that he carries.

Establish an Oracle life link with the Thrall, then Manifest Vigor. When the thrall takes damage, it will eat into your temporary HP. Luckily, you're all but swimming in Power Points due to the Elan favored class bonus, the free Psionic Talent feat, and being a full manifester with Metamind levels.

Theoretically you would be very hard to reach and the Thrall would be MADE OF HIT POINTS.

Person_Man
2011-10-03, 01:29 PM
Not sure if this fits exactly into your concept, but these might be helpful to you:

Dahlver-Nar vestige: Available for the low cost of just 1 level of Binder and a Feat (Improved Binder). Grants you 1/2 your Con to AC, a nifty area of effect Save or Daze attack, and the pivitol Shield Self ability, which allows you shift 50% of your damage to another target (friend or foe, though they are entitled to a Will Save to negate it). There is no duration, and it's a Supernatural Ability. Buy an exotic mount with a lot of hit points (like an elephant or Figurine of Wondrous Power from Sandstorm). Use Shield Self on the mount until it fails it's Save. Then in combat you basically get +50% hit points, or you can attempt to shift it to an enemy with a low Will Save. Or you can just forget about trying to shift it to an enemy, and just keep it on yourself and also find a way to cast Shield Other (via a wand or spells or whatever), which would essentially give you and your mount a collective pool of hit points. Tome of Magic.

Share Pain (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Share_Pain): Low level Psionic power (which is thus available to every psionic class via Expanded Knowledge) that lasts for hours per level, which shifts 50% of a willing subject's damage to you. Expanded Psionic's Handbook.

Forced Share Pain (www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Forced_Share_Pain): Psionic power that allows you to shift 50% of your damage to an unwilling subject (Fort negates). Expanded Psionic's Handbook.

Vitality Belt soulmeld: Grants bonus hit points equal to your Incarnate meldshaper level (which is 1/2 your hit dice if you're not an Incarnate)* essentia invested. For a pure Incarnate or Incarnate/PrC, that can be up to 20 * 8, or 160 bonus hit points. But someone who dabbles in soulmelds and essentia boosting magic, this can get 20-80 bonus hit points at higher levels for a fairly minor investment. Magic of Incarnum.

subject42
2011-10-03, 02:35 PM
Share Pain (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Share_Pain): Low level Psionic power (which is thus available to every psionic class via Expanded Knowledge) that lasts for hours per level, which shifts 50% of a willing subject's damage to you. Expanded Psionic's Handbook.

Share Pain + Vigor + sharing manifesting on your psicrystal can result in hilarious amounts of damage mitigation with regard to the amount of resources expended. I think the psychic warrior handbook has some explanation on how to optimize this.

grarrrg
2011-10-03, 08:16 PM
Good ideas all around, may have to compile this into a quick reference (with 3.5 and PF sections)

If you allow Dreamscarred Press psionics, you could work this very nicely with a Wilder as well.

Take one level of Oracle for life link, then move into Psionics. A rough build would look something like this.

Elan Oracle 1/(Student) Wilder 4/Thrallherd 1/Metamind X

This is nice, but would need more Oracle, as the goal of the build is to be the damage sink for all/most of the party, and you can only have as many Life Links as you have Oracle levels. Share Pain can help with some of this, but it still leaves party members taking their own damage.

My goal is to only ever need to heal 'yourself'.

ericgrau
2011-10-03, 09:16 PM
Well the trick with shield other or share pain is to distribute the damage for your area/mass heals. That gives you the most healing HP per action.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-03, 09:28 PM
I've been reading the Vitalist/Chirugeon in the upcoming Psionics Expanded (also on Dreamscarred Press' forums (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=964.html)) and there's some really neat things you can do with the collective and transferring HP around. You should take a look at it, particularly the Mender vitalist method.