PDA

View Full Version : Monster Classes

DoctorGlock
2011-10-01, 01:29 PM
So, savage species has some fun looking classes, but to use them you need to eat the same LA as you would for just playing the creature. Rather than being able to grab a few levels and run, the book says you may not multiclass until you finish your save progression, leaving you entirely useless outside the first 3 levels of the game. Is there any RAW legal way to split from your monster class before finishing it?

Starbuck_II
2011-10-01, 01:44 PM
So, savage species has some fun looking classes, but to use them you need to eat the same LA as you would for just playing the creature. Rather than being able to grab a few levels and run, the book says you may not multiclass until you finish your save progression, leaving you entirely useless outside the first 3 levels of the game. Is there any RAW legal way to split from your monster class before finishing it?

The ones on the website allow you to multiclass before finishing.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

DoctorGlock
2011-10-01, 01:57 PM
The ones on the website allow you to multiclass before finishing.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

sadly those are templates only. I was hoping for some piece of RAW no matter how convoluted that let me get around the ban for base classes short of DM fiat. Do prestige classes count as multiclassing provided they can be qualified for that early?

Flickerdart
2011-10-01, 02:01 PM
You could always try and become ineligible for taking levels in the racial class somehow, though I'm not sure any of them have prerequisites.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-01, 02:07 PM
You could always try and become ineligible for taking levels in the racial class somehow, though I'm not sure any of them have prerequisites.

the only prerequisite is being that race, and loosing the race defeats the purpose of being the monster class. Though i suppose fun with PAO could work.

Darrin
2011-10-01, 02:11 PM
sadly those are templates only. I was hoping for some piece of RAW no matter how convoluted that let me get around the ban for base classes short of DM fiat.

Unlike the rules for Monster Class Levels, the rules for for Template/Racial Class Levels state:

"Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession."

Racial Class Levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) work the same way. So while you can take those levels whenever you like (or not at all), you have a limited selection of templates/races:

Vampire
Ghost
Lich
Werewolf
Weretiger
Werebear
Aasimar
Drow
Duergar
Feytouched
Half-Fey
Svirfneblin
Tiefling

Do prestige classes count as multiclassing provided they can be qualified for that early?

Prestige classes never count towards multiclass penalties.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-01, 02:43 PM
Prestige classes never count towards multiclass penalties.

not for the purpose of penalties (which most sane DMs chuck anyway), but for the blanket restriction?

Maybe I should be more specific. Is there a way to not have to take more than three levels of trumpet archon before grabbing cleric prestige classes/cleric levels?