PDA

View Full Version : Good, CheAp Headslot Items? (Thanks Zaq)

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 05:06 PM
Basically as the title says, I'm looking for useful but cheAp headslot items. Specifically, I plan to upgrade them using the MIC rules to give mental stat bonuses. I know there are pleanty such items in the MIC. I guess what I'm asking is which items are the best in your personal experiences? Since I've never used any of them before, I'd like some opinions based on more than just a reading of what the book says they do.

I've already crafted a Helm of Comprehend Lanuages and Read Magic to include a +2 charisma bonus and added a protected continual flame effect for my party's leader (He's a Human Paladin [houserule paladin spellcasting keys off charisma] who's illiterate. He's also in a party of mostly dwarves who occationally use his ignorance of their language to scheme abit.)

I've also got in the party (actually, two parties forming a mercanary company members of which we theoretically switch out as needed) a:

dwarven cleric of Moradin
dwarven druid/conjurer/arcane hierophant
sun elf cleric of the campaign world's god of death (my weaker character)
halfling telepath/diviner/cerebermancer (my stronger character and the one doing the crafting.)
a half-giant physic warrior (leader of "the B-Team" of weaker characters)

And several non casters for whom I don't expect to be crafting items of this type.

So, what's worked for you?

EDIT, the odd A in CheAp is thanks to Zaq, read below for info.

Flickerdart
2011-10-01, 05:12 PM
Why not just plop stat boosters straight on, without any intermediary?

A Third Eye Penetrate (XPH, 8k) gives you +2 ML when overcoming PR, which is something your character should appreciate, given his likely low ML.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 05:22 PM
Why not just plop stat boosters straight on, without any intermediary?

A Third Eye Penetrate (XPH, 8k) gives you +2 ML when overcoming PR, which is something your character should appreciate, given his likely low ML.

Thanks!

As for why I don't just make straight stat items:

1. I find them boring.
2. I like to stack as much power/utility as I can in my items.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-01, 05:24 PM
Hat of Disguise. A thousand and one uses.

Headband of intellect for any int-based caster.

tyckspoon
2011-10-01, 05:25 PM
..how cheap is cheap for you?

Depending on how much you can afford to spend on the item, here's a few of the lower-level standouts in MIC:

Headband of Conscious Effort: 1/day replace a Fort save with a Concentration check. Basically the same effect as the Diamond Mind counter, but cheaper (spending a lowish amount of GP instead of a feat or class level.)

Scout's Headband: 3 charges/day, can expend a variable number of charges to get a vision related effect (darkvision/See Invis/True Seeing, good for people who don't have those spells or when you don't want to spend the spell slot/material components for them.)

Blindfold of True Darkness: Substitute your normal sight for 30-foot Blindsight.

Circlet of Rapid Casting: Stretching the boundaries of 'cheap', but excellent for any caster- another 3 charge/day item that can be used to Quicken low-level spells and significantly cheaper than a Lesser Rod of Quicken.

For anybody who might want to hit things: Horned Helm. Buy a Gore attack, which is one of the rarer natural weapon varieties.

Coidzor
2011-10-01, 05:31 PM
For anybody who might want to hit things: Horned Helm. Buy a Gore attack, which is one of the rarer natural weapon varieties.

Ooo, me gusta.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 05:45 PM
As for what counts as cheAp, that's going to vary as the campaign goes on. I'm looking for ideas to use throughout this guy's career. But for now, our "A-Team" is 8-9th level and our "B-Team" is 5th level. We can expect to get, at best, about half WBL available.

sreservoir
2011-10-01, 06:00 PM
Headband of Conscious Effort: 1/day replace a Fort save with a Concentration check. Basically the same effect as the Diamond Mind counter, but cheaper (spending a lowish amount of GP instead of a feat or class level.)

novice ring of diamond mind is 1500 gp, which is cheaper, though what the refresh mechanism is, I can't tell. not head slot, though.

tyckspoon
2011-10-01, 06:23 PM
novice ring of diamond mind is 1500 gp, which is cheaper, though what the refresh mechanism is, I can't tell. not head slot, though.

? Headband is market price 2,000, craft price 1,000. Novice Martial item is market 3,000, craft 1,500. I would assume the same conditions as gaining maneuvers through feats applies; if you don't have a class-given recovery method, you just get it 1/encounter (although there's no actual RAW pointing to this, Martial Study is the only real guideline in the book for how to deal with non-initiators that acquire a maneuver.) Which makes it a better deal once you can use it; as a level 3 maneuver, Mind Over Body requires a non-initiator to be level 10 in order to have enough initiator level to qualify for selecting it with the Diamond Mind ring. Headband is a bit cheaper and can be used by anybody at any time.

ericgrau
2011-10-01, 07:14 PM
Hat of disguise and circlet of persuasion are a couple of my favorites. The circlet is for UMD and/or turn undead and/or general party face action. Might be worth it for the sun elf cleric.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-01, 07:18 PM
Crystal helm. For the price of two feats, or a one-level dip, you get bonus on will saves, deflection bonus to AC, and your melee attacks become a Force effect which negates miss chance from Incorporeal.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 07:54 PM
Crystal helm. For the price of two feats, or a one-level dip, you get bonus on will saves, deflection bonus to AC, and your melee attacks become a Force effect which negates miss chance from Incorporeal.

Where is this item?

Havelock
2011-10-01, 08:12 PM
It's incarnum, so no item. Could be very nice though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-01, 08:12 PM
Where is this item?

Magic of Incarnum. The two feats required are Shape Soulmeld and Open Least Chakra (Crown). Failing that, a one-level dip in Incarnate gets it.

Soulmelds are basically magic items as class features. Some of 'em are pretty nifty too.

As other options, there's Diadum of Purelight, which emits light (as per spell) and also negates concealment within the radius effect. Works very well for a Paladin, all things considered.

There's also the Enigma Helm which makes you immune to Enchantment (Charm) effects.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 08:17 PM
Magic of Incarnum. The two feats required are Shape Soulmeld and Open Least Chakra (Crown). Failing that, a one-level dip in Incarnate gets it.

Soulmelds are basically magic items as class features. Some of 'em are pretty nifty too.

As other options, there's Diadum of Purelight, which emits light (as per spell) and also negates concealment within the radius effect. Works very well for a Paladin, all things considered.

There's also the Enigma Helm which makes you immune to Enchantment (Charm) effects.

I'm aware of incarnum. Infact, I have a meldshaping back-up character waiting for use should I need it. I'm just not sufficently familiar with meldshaping to recognise the names on sight. Plus, I'm looking for items to craft.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-01, 08:20 PM
I'm aware of incarnum. Infact, I have a meldshaping back-up character waiting for use should I need it. I'm just not sufficently familiar with meldshaping to recognise the names on sight. Plus, I'm looking for items to craft.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Sometimes meldshapes are better than magic items that go in the same slot for what you want to do. And Crown is a Least chakra, so it's dead simple to get.

Zaq
2011-10-01, 08:42 PM

A one-level dip in Incarnate gets you the bonus to Will and AC, but you need a two-level dip to get the bind (which is the part that gives you the [Force] descriptor . . . and the part that interferes with an actual item in your head slot).

Also, cheAp. Please. There's an a in there. You are not sticking birds in your hair! (I hope.)

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 08:58 PM
Also, cheAp. Please. There's an a in there. You are not sticking birds in your hair! (I hope.)

Fixed, thanks.

And if it gave the right sort of bonuses, you better believe I'd stick birds in my hair! :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-01, 09:01 PM
Fixed, thanks.

And if it gave the right sort of bonuses, you better believe I'd stick birds in my hair! :smalltongue:

But now it's titled "cheAp". Good going there Zaq! :smalltongue:

Zaq
2011-10-01, 09:04 PM
Fixed, thanks.

You know what, I think I would too. I can't count how many magic items my characters have that I never imagine them actually wearing (admit it, how many characters have you given some kind of goggles? And how many of those characters do you imagine to be actually wearing goggles? That's what I thought), so what's a bird or two?

Well, that or a fish, but that's cheep-cheep, not just cheep.

But now it's titled "cheAp". Good going there Zaq! :smalltongue:

Life is pain.

Flickerdart
2011-10-01, 09:11 PM
You know what, I think I would too. I can't count how many magic items my characters have that I never imagine them actually wearing (admit it, how many characters have you given some kind of goggles? And how many of those characters do you imagine to be actually wearing goggles? That's what I thought), so what's a bird or two?

I buy Sundark Goggles for all my characters, just to have cool shades.

Drelua
2011-10-01, 09:19 PM
I buy Sundark Goggles for all my characters, just to have cool shades.

I've wasted 12k on Goggles of Night more times than I can remember for exactly that reason. I don't care if I'm getting ripped off if I get to look cool!

herrhauptmann
2011-10-01, 10:11 PM
I've wasted 12k on Goggles of Night more times than I can remember for exactly that reason. I don't care if I'm getting ripped off if I get to look cool!

Mask of synthesete/synesthete. (Custom item)
Completely ignore blindness or deafness? Yes please. (I know the power says your face should be bare for the power, but it just seemed so right to have the custom item be on the face)

Glasses of Arcane sight? Sure, why not.