PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Sahuagin

Vertul
2011-10-01, 08:58 PM
Been poking my nose around the books for a while and a thought occured to me. We were talking about badgers (as you do), and we idly lamented that the badger had an endless rage, and a shame it wasn't an endless frenzy. Otherwise you'd be able to awaken the badgers and have them learn class levels. So you could put a pair of badgers in a box, shake the box, and create a perpetual motion machine out of the pair.

What did come of this though was a search on the SRD for things with an eternal frenzy, and Sahuagin popped up fairly quickly. So, if a pair of Sahuagin frenzied berserkers started a fist(claw?)-fight, would it ever end? Or am I misinterpreting Deathless Frenzy rules here.

noparlpf
2011-10-01, 09:15 PM
Sahuagin don't get Deathless Frenzy. That's a class feature of the Frenzied Berseker, not an implicit part of every type of Frenzy. So sooner or later one will die and the other will stop its frenzy.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 09:16 PM
If nothing else, it would end when one of them dies of old age, since Sahuagin aren't immortal.

And I think the OP was talking about frenzied beserkers with deathless frenzy. Although, at that point any race would do.

Vertul
2011-10-01, 09:18 PM
Sahuagin don't get Deathless Frenzy. That's a class feature of the Frenzied Berseker, not an implicit part of every type of Frenzy. So sooner or later one will die and the other will stop its frenzy.

I'm aware they don't get it, but they can have class levels, so Sahuagin frenzied zerker, go!

And yes, the old age thing would nip this immortal Sahuagin thing in the bud, so. How do we get Sahuagin that don't age, is the next question? :3

noparlpf
2011-10-01, 09:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Deathless Frenzy still only applies to Frenzied Berserker Frenzy. Sahuagin get "Blood Frenzy", not "Frenzy", so if you read "a frenzy" to mean "any kind of frenzy", then your idea would work...if you could make them immortal.

May I ask what the purpose of this is anyway?

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 09:25 PM
I'm aware they don't get it, but they can have class levels, so Sahuagin frenzied zerker, go!

And yes, the old age thing would nip this immortal Sahuagin thing in the bud, so. How do we get Sahuagin that don't age, is the next question? :3

my suggestion is to replace the sahuagin with warforged: They don't tire, they don't age, and with +0 LA and no RHD, it's easier to get them to the nessicary level.

noparlpf
2011-10-01, 09:26 PM
my suggestion is to replace the sahuagin with warforged: They don't tire, they don't age, and with +0 LA and no RHD, it's easier to get them to the necessary level.

The reason we're using Sahuagin is because their racial Blood Frenzy ability only ends when either they or their foe dies. Frenzied Berserker's Frenzy ends in about a minute.

Vertul
2011-10-01, 09:28 PM
Deathless frenzy doesn't specficially refer to the Frenzied Berserker's frenzy. It just says "a frenzy". Unless...Does a half-golem Sahuagin age?

noparlpf
2011-10-01, 09:30 PM
My point was that "a frenzy" and "a blood frenzy" might be considered different things. But that's your call.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-01, 09:34 PM
The reason we're using Sahuagin is because their racial Blood Frenzy ability only ends when either they or their foe dies. Frenzied Berserker's Frenzy ends in about a minute.

Oh.

In that case, try:

1. find some way to make a couple of leveled sahuagin immortal.
2. give them each an item that either grants massive fast healing or casts healing magic on them every round while worn.
3. success!

Vertul
2011-10-01, 09:44 PM
They wont need the fast healing, while they're frenzying they wont be able to die or even fall unconscious.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-01, 10:04 PM
They wont need the fast healing, while they're frenzying they wont be able to die or even fall unconscious.

No, Frenzied Berserkers still fall unconscious. Deathless Frenzy doesn't stop unconsciousness from nonlethal. Did you really think the designers thought that through? Silly.

arguskos
2011-10-01, 10:08 PM
If you can make them only deal non-lethal, then make them immune to non-lethal, then they'd beat on each other forever to no effect, thanks to endless frenzy. What about making them undead? Can an undead sahuagin enter a blood frenzy? If so, then all that needs to happen is to make them deal only nonlethal damage and you have your perpetual motion generator (though I'm not sure what use it'd realistically be).

Vangor
2011-10-02, 03:29 AM
No, Frenzied Berserkers still fall unconscious. Deathless Frenzy doesn't stop unconsciousness from nonlethal. Did you really think the designers thought that through? Silly.

Frenzied berserkers receive diehard as a bonus feat at level one, and the description of deathless frenzy says they "scorn death and unconsciousness", "not treated as disabled...nor is she treated as dying", and "continues to fight normally". You might argue a frenzied berserker could become staggered.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-02, 11:51 AM
Get the wedded to history feat from dragon magazine. alternately you might be able to tuaric template it with an elan. now your bundle of rage is immortal

Dragonsoul
2011-10-02, 01:17 PM
Why do they need to be Immortal? It says they can't die..surely Dying of Old age is Dying...which they can't do.They may got Old...put that just makes them even more pissed.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-02, 05:51 PM
Frenzied berserkers receive diehard as a bonus feat at level one, and the description of deathless frenzy says they "scorn death and unconsciousness", "not treated as disabled...nor is she treated as dying", and "continues to fight normally". You might argue a frenzied berserker could become staggered.

And a normal person with nonlethal higher than their current hp is unconscious. Thus you are acting normally.
Diehard does nothing. Ipso Facto sleep frenzied warrior. :smallcool:

Greenish
2011-10-02, 06:06 PM
Get the wedded to history feat from dragon magazine.That'd work, except I think they could still starve to death.

alternately you might be able to tuaric template it with an elan.I don't think you can make tauric sahuagin/elan on account of both of them being humanoid (in body shape) bipeds.

Quietus
2011-10-02, 06:11 PM
If you can make them only deal non-lethal, then make them immune to non-lethal, then they'd beat on each other forever to no effect, thanks to endless frenzy. What about making them undead? Can an undead sahuagin enter a blood frenzy? If so, then all that needs to happen is to make them deal only nonlethal damage and you have your perpetual motion generator (though I'm not sure what use it'd realistically be).

I don't see why death would stop the blood frenzy... and you could give them both saps, or something, so they do nothing but nonlethal? Undeath also solves the issues with sleep and eating/drinking. In the end, however, I don't see what use a perpetual motion Sahuagin machine would be either.