PDA

View Full Version : Angelic Flavor for +2 LA

Zylle
2011-10-01, 11:23 PM
Specifically, I want wings. And preferably some sort of good (either lawful or neutral good) outsider flavor, or at least no restrictions that would keep my character from being good-aligned. Anyone know of a race or template that does this for +2 LA or less?

Xefas
2011-10-01, 11:26 PM
The "Winged" template from Savage Species. Not much in the way of Outsider flavor, but it gets you wings and a dex/wis bonus for +2 LA.

Hiro Protagonest
Raptoran. Dragonborn. Level 5 wizard.

KillianHawkeye
I'm away from my books, but I think Winged Creature template (from Savage Species) is +2 LA.

Zaq
2011-10-01, 11:29 PM
Half-Fey isn't nongood (tends towards chaos, sure, but it's not a STRICT requirement), gives you some kickass wings (double your fastest existing speed? Yes please!), and gets some really nice SLAs for +2 LA.

tyckspoon
2011-10-01, 11:38 PM
Winged Lesser Aasimar sounds about right if you can swing it.

Zaq
2011-10-01, 11:43 PM
Isn't there a feat to give nonlesser aasimar wings? (You can do it with a flaw if you take Dragontouched and Dragon Wings, but that's not what I mean.) I think it's in one of the FR books. Outsider Wings or something like that? If I'm remembering it correctly, you'd lose a feat but gain a level, which is often (though not always) a nice trade.

Ernir
2011-10-01, 11:50 PM
Isn't there a feat to give nonlesser aasimar wings? (You can do it with a flaw if you take Dragontouched and Dragon Wings, but that's not what I mean.) I think it's in one of the FR books. Outsider Wings or something like that? If I'm remembering it correctly, you'd lose a feat but gain a level, which is often (though not always) a nice trade.

Outsider Wings, from Races of Faerūn. Requires a bad prereq feat.

If you're a Monk or Favoured Soul (are there more base classes with all good saves?) you can get the combo going at level 3 (level 1 with flaws), otherwise you're probably going to have to wait 'till level 6.

EDIT: Those "levels" I mention above meaning "HD" in this case.

Zylle
2011-10-02, 12:14 AM
The Winged Lesser Aasimar looks like it might fit the bill perfectly. The Outsider Wings feat looks nice too, if I could get the DM to handwave the requirements and let me start with the feat at level 2. I'll have to talk to him and see, but either way it looks like I'll be able to build just the character I had in mind :smallbiggrin: Thanks for the help all!

Runestar
2011-10-02, 12:23 AM
BOED implies that the half-celestial template is LA+2 for stock races without any racial HD. I think the designer was operating under highly questionable assumption (I wager a guess he thought the SLAs were based off racial HD or something), but check with your DM if he allows it? :smalltongue:

Andion Isurand
2011-10-02, 03:32 AM
On my Brew Blog, I modified the Winged Template (http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/2011/10/avariels-modified-winged-template.html) to try and fill out its +2 LA value.

As it is in Savage Species, I think it's a little weak for a +2 LA, given you have Half-Dragon right behind it at a +3 LA.

Runestar
2011-10-02, 04:50 AM
On my Brew Blog, I modified the Winged Template (http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/2011/10/avariels-modified-winged-template.html) to try and fill out its +2 LA value.

As it is in Savage Species, I think it's a little weak for a +2 LA, given you have Half-Dragon right behind it at a +3 LA.

I agree, it is more like LA+1.5, but then, half-dragon doesn't grant wings to creatures of medium-sized or smaller.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-02, 05:40 AM
I agree, it is more like LA+1.5, but then, half-dragon doesn't grant wings to creatures of medium-sized or smaller.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070425a (page 3)

(An unusual feature of the half-shadow dragon Chaulssinyr drow bloodline is that wings manifest in half-dragons of Medium size or larger, instead of Large size or larger. Chaulssinyr half-shadow dragons can fly at twice their base land speed with average maneuverability.)

If it happened once, it can happen again.