PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Reanimator Alchemist Conundrum

Rasman
2011-10-02, 12:28 AM
So, I'm playing a Reanimator Alchemist in an online game and something occurred to me. The undead that he can create at 13th and 15th level aren't controllable for him.

While I can see ways to use this, i.e. killing the Lawful Stubborn Paladin in our party, I'd much rather my pets not go about getting themselves killed.

Any thoughts as to how to get him the power to control Undead without levels in Cleric or anything like that?

Larpus
2011-10-02, 06:14 PM
I don't know much about necromancers, undead raising and the such, but sadly it seems that Reanimators get screwed in the same way that Necromancer Wizards are screwed due to not being able to fully control their own creations.

Grendus
2011-10-02, 07:53 PM
I'm confused. Alchemists have a caster level, and Lesser Animate Dead and Animate Dead specifically say you can control them. What am I missing?

Larpus
2011-10-03, 12:39 AM
He's talking about the Create Undead and the Greater version, where your CL only affects what kind of undead you can create and it specifically says that the Reanimator creates "uncontrolled undead".

Create Undead

At 13th level, a reanimator adds create undead to his formula book as a 4th-level extract. When he uses that extract, rather than drinking it, he injects it into the corpse he intends to animate, which rises as an uncontrolled undead 1 hour later. The extract can only create corporeal undead.

This ability replaces the increase to bomb damage at this level.

Doorhandle
2011-10-03, 09:43 PM
Oh that is legitimately retarded.

The hell is he gonna do now? Throw the potion on a random corpse and hope it don't eat him?

...Wait. Magic jar, manic marionette, and similar spells still work on undead. Get the spell, raise a powerful undead, break it's brain, then go on a rampage through the local Big Bad's fortress.

Alternately, put the undead in an extra-dimensional box, Then shove unwanteds into the box for it to feed on.

It take one hour for them to raise.The spell would allow you to sneak SURPRISE ZOMBIES! into the headquarters of the foe.

The best way out would be to simply find a huge dead monster, and use alchemical zombie on it, making it your near-permanent familiar.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-03, 09:51 PM
So, I'm playing a Reanimator Alchemist in an online game and something occurred to me. The undead that he can create at 13th and 15th level aren't controllable for him.

While I can see ways to use this, i.e. killing the Lawful Stubborn Paladin in our party, I'd much rather my pets not go about getting themselves killed.

Any thoughts as to how to get him the power to control Undead without levels in Cleric or anything like that?

Command Undead spell still works (sometimes). Get a Wand or scroll or Staff, use UMD skill, profit!
They get a Will save if they are intelligent undead, but otherwise... you get a free slave (no limit to number you own).
If you take a level of Wizard you can use the wand/staff without UMD.

Rasman
2011-10-06, 06:52 PM
Command Undead spell still works (sometimes). Get a Wand or scroll or Staff, use UMD skill, profit!
They get a Will save if they are intelligent undead, but otherwise... you get a free slave (no limit to number you own).
If you take a level of Wizard you can use the wand/staff without UMD.

duh...I feel so dumb...that takes care of the problem easily

I have a Cha bonus of +0, but that's ok, because I do have UMD, so I'll just have to invest ranks every level just for that...no biggie since that's how he'll have to control them...

...I must be losing my touch for not thinking of that...