PDA

View Full Version : Limited Time Only: Meet the One, The Only... Me! Thread the Second

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 01:54 AM
Cuz the other died... Stuff from the first thread with some slight updates (maps are slightly out of date):
Once in a lifetime opportunity! ...Well, hopefully not, as that would have unfortunate implications.

So yeah. I'm going to travel overseas for 6 months or so at the end of the year. The plan, thus far, is to get to Bali for New Year's to stay with my cousin for a bit, then to England cuz, well, it's easy, and I have some family there. After that, I intend to go anywhere and everywhere I can, preferably working a fair bit as I go to top up my funds.
It would be lovely to meet Playgrounders as I go, and any help anyone can give me will be very much appreciated (I'm... pretty terrified :smalleek:).

So, here's some of the ways you (yes, you! http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss96/TheTwilightStorm/Smileys/th_monocle.gif) can help:

Employment
Getting me a job, for a few days or weeks or whatever, would be pretty sweeeet. I'm ideally looking for library, archive, museum or similar, but I'll take what I can get.
That would be totally awesome, but I'm not exactly expecting it. So, failing that, if you could send me the contact details of any libraries, archives, museums, zoos and similar places - or anywhere you know regularly takes on temporary staff - that would be great too.
I have a Bachelor of Arts and Science, and lots of experience working in various libraries.

Accommodation
I'm looking for couches to surf for a few days, or weeks, or maybe a month or two, depending. I'm happy to contribute to rent, bills and/or housekeeping duties.
If you can't take me in, information on cheap accommodation in your area would be useful too, particularly if I get work in your area and/or you'd be interested in meeting. Speaking of which...

I'll be planning my travel around 1. when and where I can get work, and 2. when and where I can stay with/visit people. Please let me know where you live, if I can stay with you, and if there's any times that are better or worse for me to do so, so I can plan.

Meet'n'Greet
Hang out with me! Show me the sights! Pay for me to do stuff! Take me on holiday somewhere exotic!
Okay, so maybe not so much the latter two (although it would be neat, if anyone's, say, planning a trip to Egypt, if they wanted to invite me along). But yeah! You should hang out with me sometime!

Misc. & Advice
This will be the first time I'm out of the country, so any assistance or advice you can give me is more than welcome. This includes, but is not limited to:
- What requirements are there for foreigners to work in your country?
- What sort of things should I pack?
- Do I need to do something special to be able to use my mobile overseas? What if I invest in a smart phone?- What about that portable internet thingy stuff?
- Can I expect my Visa Debit card to work most places?
- If I have my Learner motorbike licence, can I ride bikes overseas? What about car P-plates?- Uh... There's plenty more, but I forget right now. So... Any other questions I need to ask, I guess?

*shakes in little booties*

edit: Maps! With informations! Please let me know if I've gotten anything wrong.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Maps-2.jpgWell, I just bought the plane ticket to Bali, and I'll get the tickets to the UK just as soon as my money transfers from one of my accounts to the other.
Assuming I get the flight I want, I'll get into London on Saturday the 21st of January 2012 at 5.25am. Anyone wanna get up nice and early on a Saturday to come pick me up from the airport or (as I've been told it's easy) from a train station?! :D ...seriously, it'd be amazing if someone could. Also assistance with accommodation for a few days before I head to wherever I'm going to end up would be really appreciated. Speaking of which...

KuReshtin, KenderWizard and CurlyKitGirl: I'm looking extra hard for work around your areas because you've indicated you'd be willing to take me in for an extended period of time or for a shorter time and help me find somewhere to live longer term. Is this still true?

HellfireLover: The above would apply to you too, but aside from "Scotland" I don't know where you live :smallfrown:

KuReshtin: The closer it gets to crunchtime and me without a job, the more likely it seems that I'll end up bludging at yours until I'm able to find something. Is this still okay? And how much rent etc. should I be expecting to pay?

Ummm... Think that's pretty much all I have to update with. Picked out a digital camera to buy, and a laptop to get to take with me - between the latter and the plane tickets, I'll have about halved my savings, which is scary and sad :smallfrown: :smalleek:

I've decided I will try to keep some sort of journal thingy going on here. Mostly, because I'm afraid if I don't have something extra motivating me to get out and do stuff I'll end up settling into my rut behind the computer screen again :sigh:

Oh, one thing that's been brought up as a possibility is a thing called "Round the World Tickets" or whatever. It's where you pay for a series of tickets that will have you proceed in one direction around the world, basically. It doesn't work for all my tickets when I'm wanting to go from Australia to Bali to the UK and then branch out from there, but it may be something to keep in mind when I get to the UK, assuming I get a job that pays enough for me to save up the few thousand for it.

Soooo yeah. That's about where I'm up to.

Rawhide
2011-10-02, 02:15 AM
- Do I need to do something special to be able to use my mobile overseas? What if I invest in a smart phone?- What about that portable internet thingy stuff?

---

You can set up global roaming on your phone and/or portable internet thingy stuff. But it is ridiculously expensive. Your best bet are to ensure that you have (already have or purchase) an unlocked phone that covers all of the frequencies of the countries you will be visiting (this will likely be a tri- or quad-band phone, depending on which places you intend to go) and then buy pre-paid sims when you land.

Also consider a 3G Kindle. On top of looking after your book needs while travelling, it has free access to Wikipedia for all of your "what/where the heck is that?" needs in many countries.

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 02:20 AM
We've already covered that. That's why I crossed it out :smalltongue: The conclusion was that I should just buy or rent cheap phones in the places I visit. I really can't afford to buy anything super fancy before I go - certainly, I expect, not a Kindle. The access to Wiki etc. would be handy, but I just don't think I can afford it.

Rawhide
2011-10-02, 02:29 AM
We've already covered that. That's why I crossed it out :smalltongue: The conclusion was that I should just buy or rent cheap phones in the places I visit. I really can't afford to buy anything super fancy before I go - certainly, I expect, not a Kindle. The access to Wiki etc. would be handy, but I just don't think I can afford it.

Well, it was only half crossed out, so I wasn't sure. Getting a good unlocked phone with all of the frequencies might be cheaper in the long run than a new phone at each place that needs it, especially if it also does your mobile internet.

3G Kindles are currently $189 USD + Shipping (free to a US address) or $149 USD with free shipping to a US address if you can buy with a US address and don't mind adverts when its switched off. That's for both the keyboard and touchscreen versions. $215 AUD with free shipping (or pickup in-store) at **** Smiths in Australia - keyboard version only, no adverts.

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 02:32 AM
I'd be more likely to go with a phone with decent internet access.
What sort of phones are unlocked, how much do they cost, and does it just mean I need to buy a new sim card in each country?

edit: Something else which would be handy to know: What train and bus concession cards and similar are there?

Asta Kask
2011-10-02, 02:57 AM
There is a bus card system in Gothenburg, but it's so arcane that even we natives don't understand it. After ten years. There's a Facebook group that hates our local bus company because of the ticket system. You're better off buying individual tickets or get a month card if you stay here for long.

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-02, 03:08 AM
I'd be happy to hang out with you if you were ever in Arkansas. :smallredface:

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 03:16 AM
Where in Arkansas? I'll put you on mah map. Under "H".

edit: Y'know, the way my map's going, I might have to do a figure 8 around the US, not a loop...

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-02, 03:20 AM
Where in Arkansas? I'll put you on mah map. Under "H".Fort Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Smith,_Arkansas), though I'm not sure what you mean by "Under H." :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 03:32 AM
Have a look at the map (which I'm about to update, but it may not kick in for a while), you'll see what I mean.

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-02, 03:55 AM
Ahh, 'kay - I'd invite you to stay, but y'know, single guy and all. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 03:58 AM
...no, don't know :smallconfused:
Are you messy? Cuz I'll cope :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-02, 04:01 AM
...no, don't knowEh, if you're okay with it, I'm okay with it. :smallsmile:

Are you messy? Cuz I'll copeFairly disorganized, but again, if you're okay with it... :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 04:04 AM
I am okay with it :smalltongue:

So I can put you down as an (S), then? :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-02, 05:25 AM
So I can put you down as an (S), then?Go ahead. :smallamused:

Kittenwolf
2011-10-02, 05:33 AM
Oooh, sounds like a big trip :D
I got back from six months in the UK not long ago, if you're interested in some day-by-day stuff over there, I did a travel journal at ozcolonydrop.livejournal.com, plenty of info and photos there about bits and pieces that I saw, and I'm happy to provide specific info on things if you like :)

Phone-wise while over there I just picked up a prepaid SIM with... it was either Virgin or Vodafone (I used one for my internet dongle and one for my phone). 10 pound credit net me a reasonable bit of calls, but a huge stack of free SMS and about half a gig of 3G data, so you can get some pretty damned good deals over there.

KenderWizard
2011-10-02, 03:42 PM
I'd be more likely to go with a phone with decent internet access.
What sort of phones are unlocked, how much do they cost, and does it just mean I need to buy a new sim card in each country?

edit: Something else which would be handy to know: What train and bus concession cards and similar are there?

Dunno about elsewhere, but here, if you want a phone unlocked, you go to a dodgy phone shop that does unlockings (and watch them like a hawk). Tends to be quick and cheap, but they may steal your phone if you're stupid about it.

I'm still happy to take you in, for a short time, anyway, depending on when you're coming, and I'll do my best to help you find accommodation and a job! I'll ask around. I presume Ireland would be the next stop after the UK, since it's so close? Do you have any idea when you'd be coming over, if you decide to?

Serpentine
2011-10-02, 11:04 PM
Well, assuming my British passport works the same there - and, now I think about it, I'm not sure - I'll be looking at Ireland as another place to base myself for the whole time if I can get a job there.

Fri
2011-10-02, 11:57 PM
How long are you going to be in Bali? If you need a job there, it might be worth it to try to ask the local English First or similar institution or so for english teaching job. Some of my teachers back then were backpackers who stays in my hometown to raise money. But Bali might be tightpacked with native speakers already though.

Serpentine
2011-10-03, 12:23 AM
Nah, Bali's pure holiday. Staying with a cousin there, chillin' out.

KenderWizard
2011-10-03, 02:36 AM
Well, assuming my British passport works the same there - and, now I think about it, I'm not sure - I'll be looking at Ireland as another place to base myself for the whole time if I can get a job there.

It won't work exactly the same, being as how it's a different country, but I'd say it'd be easy enough. Worth checking, though.

KuReshtin
2011-10-03, 08:30 AM
Slurps, if you're still okay with crashing on the sofabed in my living room, then you're welcome to do so.

As for rent and stuff, I don't know (http://youtu.be/Plz4DSIWDqg). As long as you maybe help out with cost for groceries and stuff while you're here, I'm not difficult like that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7uJDhVZIE).

ION: Damn you, Rawhide for enticing me to destroy the universe!

Serpentine
2011-10-03, 08:33 AM
*tee hee*
Hell, assuming our schedules mesh well enough, I've gotten into the habit of shopping and cooking dinner anyway, so I'd be happy to do that.

Totally Guy
2011-10-04, 04:02 AM
I might be moving house some time near winter. I move with work, if it is going to happen I don't know where yet.

blackfox
2011-10-04, 08:59 AM
I'm still available to hang out and/or visit and/or you can crash in my dorm room for a few days. I live in Ithaca, New York. It's a little bit in the middle of nowhere, but it's a great town. Because I'm on a college campus, I dunno how well I could get you employed, even temp work, but I can poke around if it'd be helpful.

HellfireLover
2011-10-05, 10:11 AM
Hey Serp, PM me for details of where exactly in the back end of Scotland I live :smalltongue: - there's not exactly much going on here, but it's relatively near both Edinburgh, and there's plenty to do.

(um, also, I might pick your brains about life in Australia... considering a move to Perth area ATM :smallredface:)

Nargan
2011-10-05, 10:54 AM
{Scrubbed}

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 03:57 AM
Hey Serp, PM me for details of where exactly in the back end of Scotland I live :smalltongue: - there's not exactly much going on here, but it's relatively near both Edinburgh, and there's plenty to do.

(um, also, I might pick your brains about life in Australia... considering a move to Perth area ATM :smallredface:)Shall do.
...later.
But for Perth, you're better off asking Moreta...
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}Yep.
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}Nope.

The Succubus
2011-10-06, 05:06 AM
Really don't see why it should.

I'ev often gone to meet random interwebs people before - my old GM from World of Warcraft, some gaming friends in Eastbourne. It's fun and I haven't had any bad experiences aside from being savaged by my friend's kitty. Hell, I met my gf through the internet.

Besides, if someone did have unpleasant motives in mind, think for a sec. Serpy is planning her gran turismo months in advance, with kind hearted forum members advertising for all to see that they're offering a place to stay. It wouldn't exactly take Miss Marple to track down the potential suspects.

Besides, who on Earth would want to hurt *Serpy* of all people? :smallconfused:

@Serp - I'd offer you a place to crash in London but given that *I* don't particularly want to stay there at the moment, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't either. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 05:09 AM
I am still looking for a London airport pickup and a place to recover for a few days... <.<

edit: Ah frick, double-guessing myself now. I'm starting to think that chances are I'm gonna have to just assume I'll be staying with KuReshtin 'til I find a job (unless I get one before then, which is unlikely), which means I probably ought to fly straight to Edinburgh. It's gonna be a pain to take my luggage on a train :/
Ah well, guess I may as well check prices at least... Really gotta buy that ticket soon, though >.<

Nargan
2011-10-06, 05:15 AM
{Scrubbed}

KuReshtin
2011-10-06, 05:33 AM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I'll counter that you have too little faith in humanity.

I did a three week tour of the US to meet random internet people, crashing at their houses for about three weeks back in 1998. On my own. trusting that some random internet friends would be waiting for me at the airport to pick me up.
The world wasn't any less scary back then than it is now, and I managed just fine.
Hell, I even survived losing my passport and flight tickets and all the contact information to everyone I knew in the US when I got to New Jersey (my own damn fault for being tired and scatter-brained).

Serps, if you're planning on getting up to Scotland straight away, you'd be better off trying to find flights to Glasgow and not Edinburgh. Granted, it's only about 60 miles between Glasgow and Edinburgh, but since I'm right on the West coast, Glasgow would be a better option if you want me to pick you up at the airport. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 05:35 AM
Well, I'm doing it. Too bad. Your no doubt genuine and selfless concern is appreciated, but this is not the thread in which to discuss it.
On the off chance my plans actually do have you worried for my safety:
- The contact details of everyone I'll be staying with will be available to family at home.
- The threads in which I'm planning this will be up here, so everyone can see anyone who expressed an interest in meeting me.
- I'll be doing a sort of running commentary/blog thingy, so everyone will be able to see the last place I've been, and at least descriptions of people I've met.
- You live in a deeply scary world if you think any of the people I'm going to come across are likely to be rapists or murderers or whatever, much less most. If someone does end up being a creep or whatever, by having this thread and the big list of people willing to take me in and/or meet me, I'll have lots of back-up at hand and safe places to go. I think that's far more safe than travelling blind, alone and with no support at all.
- I've been at this forum for years. Most of the people I'm meeting/staying with I've known for most of that time. I'm not just hooking up with random strangers I've picked up off the street.

edit: Right. Thanks KuKu. Though going from Bali to the UK, chances are any flight would go through London anyway...

edit mk. 2: You know what? Even if I do find work elsewhere, it will - I expect - be better for me to have somewhere assured and safe and quiet to recover from my jetlag - and all of those things, London ain't.
So yeah. If you're willing to pick me up from Glasgow (at some ungodly hour no doubt...), I think I've convinced myself to do that.

Rawhide
2011-10-06, 06:14 AM
Have you tried CouchSurfing (http://www.couchsurfing.org/)?

The Succubus
2011-10-06, 06:18 AM
Have you tried CouchSurfing (http://www.couchsurfing.org/)?

Yes. I fell off and then my sofa sank. Wasn't impressed. :smallannoyed:

Rawhide
2011-10-06, 06:30 AM

Your last one may have won the thread, but this one wins the internet - it actually made me lough out loud. I think it was the smiley that did it.

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 06:34 AM
Okay... Looking at flights, I've got a real "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" thing going here...

AirAsia tells me I can get from Bali to London for $390 (US, but it's almost AUS). I can then (with a sleep-over in a London airport :/) get to Glasgow for less than $100. That makes a total of around $500 to get from Bali to Scotland.

Webjet, a site meant to find cheap flights across a bunch of airlines, doesn't have AirAsia. Its selection can get me from Bali to Glasgow (on the one ticket, as opposed to AirAsia where I'll have to get two bookings) for about $1300. Still with the sleepover in London airport.

More than $500 cheaper through AirAsia. What am I missing here? :smallconfused: Is it just simply cheaper? Is AirAsia really crappy or something?
Extra info: some family members who regularly travel between Australia and Indonesia have been highly recommending AirAsia.

Rawhide
2011-10-06, 06:37 AM
Okay... Looking at flights, I've got a real "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" thing going here...

AirAsia tells me I can get from Bali to London for $390 (US, but it's almost AUS). I can then (with a sleep-over in a London airport :/) get to Glasgow for less than $100. That makes a total of around $500 to get from Bali to Scotland.

Webjet, a site meant to find cheap flights across a bunch of airlines, doesn't have AirAsia. Its selection can get me from Bali to Glasgow (on the one ticket, as opposed to AirAsia where I'll have to get two bookings) for about $1300. Still with the sleepover in London airport.

More than $500 cheaper through AirAsia. What am I missing here? :smallconfused: Is it just simply cheaper? Is AirAsia really crappy or something?
Extra info: some family members who regularly travel between Australia and Indonesia have been highly recommending AirAsia.

Does it include taxes?

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 06:41 AM
Yep, both do.

The AirAsia ticket doesn't include meals. My housemate also points out it could be awkward getting food at the stop-overs, depending on currency issues and what'll be open at the airports. Just trying to see whether the Webjet ones include meals and stuff - distressingly little information given on that site :smallannoyed:
edit: Although it appears you can buy meals on the plane, for not completely ludicrous prices (~39,000rp, which ~<$5).

factotum
2011-10-06, 06:50 AM
I think for $800 difference you could probably afford to take a few packets of crisps aboard in hand luggage. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 06:53 AM
Yeah. I'm just trying to work out the catch =.=

My housemate thinks there might be things like the seats not being reclinable... Seems like baggage could be a thing, too (looks like they only take 15kg for free, but I'm still looking), but that's only a few dozen dollars to fix anyway.

KuReshtin
2011-10-06, 06:56 AM
edit: Right. Thanks KuKu. Though going from Bali to the UK, chances are any flight would go through London anyway...

edit mk. 2: You know what? Even if I do find work elsewhere, it will - I expect - be better for me to have somewhere assured and safe and quiet to recover from my jetlag - and all of those things, London ain't.
So yeah. If you're willing to pick me up from Glasgow (at some ungodly hour no doubt...), I think I've convinced myself to do that.

Well, I can assure you that Largs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largs) is definitely on the opposite scale of safe and quiet from London. And that is a good thing. :smallsmile: Sleepy little town that would be pretty well suited for getting rid of jetlag.

And of course I'd be willing to pick you up from the airport.

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 07:27 AM
11,000-odd isn't a "sleepy little town", silly :smalltongue:

Okay, apparently the AirAsia fares don't include taxes. But I'm having a balls of a time finding them :smallannoyed:

edit: There we go, there's the catch. You have to pay for damn near everything! But even with all the extras - taxes, better seats, a meal, in-flight entertainment, etc, it still just comes out to $560 - substantially more than the aforementioned $390, but still much better than $900.

KuReshtin
2011-10-06, 07:51 AM
Of course it is. Especially when you consider that about 70% of the 11,000-odd seem to be OAPs. :)
Everything's in walking distance for everything else.

Okay, apparently the AirAsia fares don't include taxes. But I'm having a balls of a time finding them :smallannoyed:

edit: There we go, there's the catch. You have to pay for damn near everything! But even with all the extras - taxes, better seats, a meal, in-flight entertainment, etc, it still just comes out to $560 - substantially more than the aforementioned $390, but still much better than $900.

Still a pretty huge difference in price. AirAsia seem to be the same kind of thing as Ryanair over here. Cheap prices, but the flights basically include the seats and not a whole lot more.

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 07:55 AM
Well, they don't have the monopoly on impossible to find flight information :smallannoyed:

edit: Hawlroight... I'm gonna buy the AirAsia tickets :smalleek: Someone tell me it's okay, I'm allowed to, and I'm making the right decision.

The Succubus
2011-10-06, 08:15 AM
It's okay, you're allowed to and you're making the right decision. In fact, we insist you buy these airline tickets.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-10-06, 08:23 AM
I'ev often gone to meet random interwebs people before - my old GM from World of Warcraft, some gaming friends in Eastbourne. :

You met some people in Eastbourne - dangerous thing, you might have got mugged by an old lady :smallbiggrin:

Too be fair, anyone going to any of the meetups that happen around the world for the first time will be in similar situations, going into dimly lit rooms surrounded by people from the internets...

Serpentine
2011-10-06, 09:05 AM
Hokay! I've booked the flight from Bali to London ($579US in the end). Now I've just gotta get from London to Glasgow.
So I get into London at 8.50pm on the 20th of January. That's too late to go straight on to Glasgow that night, so I'll have to stay overnight. Anyone wanna give me a bed for one night so I don't have to sleep in the airport? :smallfrown:
The cheapest London-Glasgow flights are at 7am and 5pm. If I can't get a bed, I'll get the first. If someone decides to be super-duper nice, I'll probably go with the second.

factotum
2011-10-06, 10:38 AM

It is in a country where we cram three times the population of Australia into a fraction under one-thirtieth of the area. :smallwink:

KenderWizard
2011-10-06, 11:47 AM

:smallbiggrin:

Hokay! I've booked the flight from Bali to London ($579US in the end). Now I've just gotta get from London to Glasgow.
So I get into London at 8.50pm on the 20th of January. That's too late to go straight on to Glasgow that night, so I'll have to stay overnight. Anyone wanna give me a bed for one night so I don't have to sleep in the airport? :smallfrown:
The cheapest London-Glasgow flights are at 7am and 5pm. If I can't get a bed, I'll get the first. If someone decides to be super-duper nice, I'll probably go with the second.

WOO! Well done, Serps!

It is in a country where we cram three times the population of Australia into a fraction under one-thirtieth of the area. :smallwink:

The density of the UK always gets me, because I always think of the UK as being similar to us in such respects, but, while much denser than Australia (not saying much) we're way less dense than the UK.

Asta Kask
2011-10-07, 05:12 AM
The cat says you're welcome provided a) that ou recognize his sovereignty over the territory, and b) that you are willing to scratch his ears and rub his tummy whenever he wants to.

Serpentine
2011-10-07, 05:32 AM
These terms are acceptable :smallcool:

...anyone willing to give me a couch or something for one night in London? Anyone at all? :smallfrown:

Archonic Energy
2011-10-07, 05:38 AM
These terms are acceptable :smallcool:

...anyone willing to give me a couch or something for one night in London? Anyone at all? :smallfrown:

*hands Serp 1 token for couch*

Serpentine
2011-10-07, 05:43 AM
Yay! :D
...does this include a pick-up from and/or drop-off to the airport? <.<

Archonic Energy
2011-10-07, 05:56 AM
Yay! :D
...does this include a pick-up from and/or drop-off to the airport? <.<

Archon doesn't Drive... sorry.

The Succubus
2011-10-07, 06:18 AM
Archon doesn't Drive... sorry.

I feel bad about not being able to offer you a place to stay, so if you like, I could take you and Archon out for a meal somewhere in London when you arrive. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-10-07, 07:20 AM
Oooo. That could be super nice, thanks :smallsmile:

edit: I don't suppose that might, perchance, involve a lift from the airport? :3

Totally Guy
2011-10-07, 11:04 AM
Which airport is it? I recall Heathrow links into to the london underground.

The Succubus
2011-10-07, 11:20 AM
Oooo. That could be super nice, thanks :smallsmile:

edit: I don't suppose that might, perchance, involve a lift from the airport? :3

I'm afraid I can't drive but I could probably help you carry your luggage. What day are you due to fly in and what time?

Keld Denar
2011-10-07, 11:20 AM
Serpiederp, you still planning on coming out to the Left Coast of the US? I see I'm the only one on your little plan for Seattle, but there are quite a few playgrounders out here (from what I've noticed), and you really can't miss Washington. Seattle (and the surrounding areas) are just too amazingly amazing.

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-07, 11:32 AM
I know I mentioned it in Chat, but you're perfectly welcome to come to Columbus, Ohio and crash here for a while. I probably can't find you work of any sort, though. I barely did that for myself.

And if you're flying, C-bus has its own airport, and I can certainly do pickup/dropoff.

Asta Kask
2011-10-07, 11:52 AM
If you haven't thought of it already - temperatures in Gothenburg as January turns into February can easily reach -15 or -20 (C, fortunately). And it's a wet cold, which makes it worse than the dry cold we get farther north. So remember to pack something that's warm and snug.

Serpentine
2011-10-07, 10:43 PM
I'm going to the United Kingdom in winter from Australia and Indonesia's summer. Most of my luggage is gonna be "warm and snug" :smalltongue:

Succubus: That'll be fine, thanks :smallsmile: 8.50pm on the 20th of January. I'll get the 5pm flight out the next day.

Keld: Still intend to, but I'm not gonna put a date down yet. The way my map's looking, I'll end up doing a figure-8 of the US...

DMS: Thanks.

Guy: Not Heathrow. Uuuh... Can't remember which one, though. Think it started with G.

Gadora
2011-10-07, 11:54 PM
Keld: Still intend to, but I'm not gonna put a date down yet. The way my map's looking, I'll end up doing a figure-8 of the US...

I don't know if it was forgotten, but since I don't think I've seen it mentioned since, I'd like to repeat my offer to loan you my spare bus pass. If decide to take me up on this, I'll probably also give you a SASE so you can just mail it to me from wherever you head next.

Mind you, the bus probably shouldn't be your first plan for getting around the area. It should serve well enough in Seattle itself, but once you get out of the city, there are some gaps in where you can get to easily. For example, if I want to head somewhere by bus from where I live, I get to start with about half an hour of walking. I'd advise renting a car if you can, but if, for whatever reason, that doesn't happen, my pass is available should you want it.

Serpentine
2011-10-08, 12:43 AM
Heh. No, that offer hasn't been forgotten, but thanks for repeating it anyway.

factotum
2011-10-08, 01:46 AM
Guy: Not Heathrow. Uuuh... Can't remember which one, though. Think it started with G.

Gatwick? (10 characters or more!!!)

Serpentine
2011-10-08, 02:21 AM
Yup, that's the one!

Asta Kask
2011-10-08, 06:55 AM
I'm going to the United Kingdom in winter from Australia and Indonesia's summer. Most of my luggage is gonna be "warm and snug" :smalltongue:

Peh. The brits don't know what a real winter was. I remember when I was young...

KuReshtin
2011-10-08, 05:21 PM
Peh. The brits don't know what a real winter was. I remember when I was young...

Agreed.
Then again, there was a bit of snow here last year, which completely shut down pretty much the entire UK.
I think we had as much as 35cm of snow around these parts. :smallwink:

Alarra
2011-10-08, 10:55 PM
To help you keep your map up to date.... We didn't end up moving to TN (though you should still go there) and won't be for about 6 years at the earliest, so we'll still be here in Baltimore and you can stay here as long as you like. :smallsmile:

Krade
2011-10-08, 11:31 PM
I'll put in a "Hang out for a bit" thing in Indianapolis, Indiana. I might have a couch by then, but I try to limit outsiders' exposure to my brother. He can be... yeah.

Archonic Energy
2011-10-09, 03:34 AM
Agreed.
Then again, there was a bit of snow here last year, which completely shut down pretty much the entire UK.
I think we had as much as 35cm of snow around these parts. :smallwink:

Pfft, i was able to get to sheffield and back... it wasn't that bad. :smallamused:
though the way the news was reporting it, it sounded like the end of the world.

Kjata
2011-10-09, 09:18 AM
I'm don't know whether you're hitting up Seattle... but I might be able to give you a roof. No promises.

In any case, I can give you a ride.

I kinda want to do this. You do realize, however, that doing this officially makes you a hobo?

The Succubus
2011-10-09, 01:28 PM
I'm don't know whether you're hitting up Seattle... but I might be able to give you a roof. No promises.

In any case, I can give you a ride.

I kinda want to do this. You do realize, however, that doing this officially makes you a hobo?

Yes, but the fluffy adorable 4-footed sort of hobo, rather than the screaming, drunk and borderline insane sort of hobo.

Kjata
2011-10-09, 08:04 PM
Yes, but the fluffy adorable 4-footed sort of hobo, rather than the screaming, drunk and borderline insane sort of hobo.

Dude, a hobo isn't a bum. A hobo is a person who wanders around working, not wanders around begging and drinking. The hobos have a code, and one of the rules in their code is "Don't be a drunken ass, it makes us all look bad."

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-10, 06:10 AM
We didn't end up moving to TN (though you should still go there)Indeed. If you end up staying with us, we'll do whatever we can to make that happen.

Vizzerdrix
2011-10-10, 12:52 PM
Interesting. If you somehow get stuck in Maine I could lend you a couch, but honestly we have very few fun things up here, and winter travel can be is a nightmare.

Asta Kask
2011-10-10, 01:09 PM
Interesting. If you somehow get stuck in Maine I could lend you a couch, but honestly we have very few fun things up here, and winter travel can be is a nightmare.

And 90% of all people in Maine are either psychopaths, monsters or aliens or all three. I learned that from Stephen King.

The Succubus
2011-10-10, 06:10 PM
I'm Serpy's Number One Fan! Now where did I leave that hobbling post.....:smallamused:

Serpentine
2011-10-10, 08:09 PM
I totally just watched that the other night.
:eek:

golentan
2011-10-10, 08:32 PM
Again, just throwing this out here but if you're passing through monterey at some point on your way to, from, or within the San Francisco Bay Area, let me know and I'll set you up with some food and conversation time.

Mindfreak
2011-10-10, 08:38 PM

I would extend the same offer, but unfortunately I'm just 15, with no place of my own.:smallredface:other than my mom's of course

I can, however, see what I can do about possibly getting you set up with a temporary job in Brunswick(if you ever need one there). Also, I can recommend all of the awesome things to do in beautiful Maine.

Like, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Admiring Beaches, Boating, Eating Lobsters and Clam Chowder, Laughing at the Yankees...
You know, the simple pleasures of life.:smallbiggrin:

Though, driving during winter in Maine is horrible, but we do get beautiful snow and the ice fishing is GREAT.

The summers are sometimes surprisingly hot, but are mostly great, especially when you have a 90 F day with a cool breeze and a picnic basket.

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 12:33 AM
Wait, Toronto is an option for Serpentine World Tour? I'd be cool with hanging out, especially if other Playgrounders are in. Not sure if I could help with a job or anything, but one of my friends has worked at the Royal Ontario Museum, I guess I could ask her to dust off some contacts.