PDA

View Full Version : Question: Crow bird head movement

Ichneumon
2011-10-02, 01:42 PM
I have a question:

Crows, jackdaws and other such birds often make these strange turning movements with their heads, that make them look like they are scrutinizing or investigating something. My question is: is there a better way of describing it in english? Does it have a name? Thanks.

KenderWizard
2011-10-02, 02:20 PM
I would say "The crow cocked its head." or "The crow cocked its head to the side."

Does that get filtered?

Edit: Apparently not. Good stuff!

Gator
2011-10-02, 09:43 PM
I like the phrase "birdlike scrutiny." It seems to convey exactly what you're talking about with just a couple of words.

Kneenibble
2011-10-03, 12:08 AM
Yes 'birdlike scrutiny' has the correct poetic density. Agreed.

However if there is a specific word for that gesture in another language, I would be thrilled to learn it.

Budgies (and most birds) do this too. Their eyes are quite far on either side of their little birdy heads so to look at something directly they have to turn it. It's cute when budgies throw something off the top of their cage and then twist their head to watch it fall.

thubby
2011-10-03, 01:41 AM
i sidelong glance?

thubby
2011-10-03, 01:43 AM
i sidelong glance?

Maelstrom
2011-10-03, 04:45 AM
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming"

;)

The Succubus
2011-10-03, 04:48 AM
"The bird's head twitched back and forward, like a kitten that's been on the 'nip for 24 hours straight and washed it down with a triple espresso."

Ravens_cry
2011-10-03, 05:11 AM
Most birds have eyes on the side of the head and little eye movement. Moving the head allows them to get a better view of things I suppose. As for what word to use, **** their head, tilt their head, jerk, twitch, choose your verb.

The Succubus
2011-10-03, 05:16 AM
Most birds have eyes on the side of the head and little eye movement. Moving the head allows them to get a better view of things I suppose. As for what word to use, **** their head, tilt their head, jerk, twitch, choose your verb.

Well, if someone's looking for advice on the family Corvidae, you'd be the best person on here to ask. :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2011-10-03, 05:23 AM
Heehee. Birdlike scrutiny is excellent. I think describing it as inspecting isn't bad either. That's pretty much what they're doing.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-03, 05:34 AM
Well, if someone's looking for advice on the family Corvidae, you'd be the best person on here to ask. :smallwink:
****** head* Why yes I *jerks head around* suppose I *twitches* am.:smalltongue: