PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry Help

CoffeeIncluded
2011-10-02, 02:41 PM
Right now we're learning about electron configurations and orbital shapes and wavelengths and all that stuff in chemistry. I've got a prelim on Tuesday and I'm fairly confident, except about one thing.

The professor may ask us to graph the different types of orbitals (r versus psi, r versus psi squared, and r versus psi squared r squared), and I don't know how to do that. That type of graph is not too hard to find for the 1s orbital, but I can't find examples of any others. If he asks us to graph, say, a 3d orbital, I'm stuck.

Can anyone help find examples of these graphs, or show the specific pattern? Thanks.

Weezer
2011-10-02, 03:32 PM
Here (http://winter.group.shef.ac.uk/orbitron/)is a really good site for it, has good 3D representations of all the orbitals.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-10-02, 03:35 PM
Here (http://winter.group.shef.ac.uk/orbitron/)is a really good site for it, has good 3D representations of all the orbitals.

Ha, thanks! That's perfect!

Weezer
2011-10-02, 06:16 PM
Ha, thanks! That's perfect!

Glad it's helpful, I used it a lot during Inorganic, my professor showed it to me.

Phishfood
2011-10-03, 02:12 AM
Oof, I remember that, god I hated chemistry A-level.

Day 1:
Everything you ever learned about chemistry is totally wrong.

Tirian
2011-10-03, 02:26 AM
Oof, I remember that, god I hated chemistry A-level.

Day 1:
Everything you ever learned about chemistry is totally wrong.

I just went through this myself. A person I've been tutoring in math asked if I could help him with physics as well. I went to take a practice Regents exam and found myself puzzled by a question about hadrons which I couldn't recall from college. Went back to my college physics textbook and found, in the very last section, a few paragraphs about how the scientific community was starting to rally around this new theory that they called "the standard model".

I think that a good definition of middle age is when you realize that the last quarter of your college physics textbook is currently known to be a lie. :smalleek:

Brother Oni
2011-10-03, 06:25 AM
I think that a good definition of middle age is when you realize that the last quarter of your college physics textbook is currently known to be a lie. :smalleek:

It could be worse - I read biochemistry at university and half way through the term, they had to correct some previously taught material due to recent discoveries.

Needless to say, all the textbooks I bought at the beginning of my course were obsolete by the end. :smallsigh:

Phishfood
2011-10-03, 02:06 PM
It could be worse - I read biochemistry at university and half way through the term, they had to correct some previously taught material due to recent discoveries.

Needless to say, all the textbooks I bought at the beginning of my course were obsolete by the end. :smallsigh:

Same. The one that sticks in my head went like this

"The human body has ~60,000 genes"
*human genome project completes*
"The human body has ~30,000 genes, same as a mouse"

kanishkporwal
2011-10-06, 02:32 AM
{{scrubbed}}

goplayer7
2011-10-07, 06:32 PM
I'm a freshman in college and even worse I'm a computer engineer, so the specific stuff that I learn now is probably to be useless when I finish college. However most most intensive course for my major that I'm taking right now is "engineering design and analysis", so that should be useful and hopefully Java won't change that much.