PDA

View Full Version : Escape the Nine Hells!

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-02, 02:43 PM
I came up with this idea about a year ago and never got the opportunity to implement it because generally I run good campaigns, but now I finally have the chance! My all-evil party is going to start the game with their deaths and entrance into the Nine Hells, and their campaign goal is to travel through the Nine Circles, defeat Asmodeus, then escape into the Material Plane and use the power they gained to take it over.

The game is starting at level 3. I've got the Fiend Codex and the SRD out, but I just wanted to get the Playground's opinion on this, as text isn't the same as experience:

What are some really interesting and exciting CR 2-6 devils? Please include your source material.

Eldan
2011-10-02, 03:43 PM
The interesting question, I think, would be why they stayed in their normal forms upon death, instead of moving on to larvae or some lowly form of devil.

Building on that, I'd make this a plot by some devil. Sneak adventurers legally into hell (dying is legal), to use them to your own ends.

Zonugal
2011-10-02, 03:51 PM
I came up with this idea about a year ago and never got the opportunity to implement it because generally I run good campaigns, but now I finally have the chance! My all-evil party is going to start the game with their deaths and entrance into the Nine Hells, and their campaign goal is to travel through the Nine Circles, defeat Asmodeus, then escape into the Material Plane and use the power they gained to take it over.

Yeah... Well I guess if you are going to shoot high, shoot for the moon.

The game is starting at level 3. I've got the Fiend Codex and the SRD out, but I just wanted to get the Playground's opinion on this, as text isn't the same as experience:

What are some really interesting and exciting CR 2-6 devils? Please include your source material.

I honestly would look at what it means to interact and combat devils. They are depraved, sinister and cunning. Monsters like Pleasure & Harvester Devils can introduce a fun challenge to the party in the form of riddles, puzzles or simply having to out 'vile' the devil. I mean they are hoping to take this place over, so you can have a lot of fun with this.

Some of the challenges as to raise their reputation & power could be:

Gain more mortal souls than a Harvester Devil.
Seduce more mortal souls than a Pleasure Devil.
Best the Bearded Devils in one-on-one gladiator matches.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-02, 04:04 PM
I honestly would look at what it means to interact and combat devils. They are depraved, sinister and cunning. Monsters like Pleasure & Harvester Devils can introduce a fun challenge to the party in the form of riddles, puzzles or simply having to out 'vile' the devil. I mean they are hoping to take this place over, so you can have a lot of fun with this.

Some of the challenges as to raise their reputation & power could be:

Gain more mortal souls than a Harvester Devil.
Seduce more mortal souls than a Pleasure Devil.
Best the Bearded Devils in one-on-one gladiator matches.

They don't want to take over. They want to escape and take over the Material Plane. So they have to fight and sneak their way through all nine circles.

Eldan
2011-10-02, 04:20 PM
Killing Asmodeus...

That would probably bring half the forces of law on their back. Inevitables, Modrons, archons, the whole pact, probably. Unless they quickly and bloodlessly install a new leader, which is unlikely. And, if I remember the wording right, not covered in the pact.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-02, 04:25 PM
Killing Asmodeus...

That would probably bring half the forces of law on their back. Inevitables, Modrons, archons, the whole pact, probably. Unless they quickly and bloodlessly install a new leader, which is unlikely. And, if I remember the wording right, not covered in the pact.

I know, it will be very amusing. (Assuming they can pull it off). I'm going to have to work on what will happen, should that time come, but uh, since we're starting at level 3, I don't think I'll have to worry about that for at the very least, half a year

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-10-02, 04:43 PM
Asmodues isn't stated. IIRC the Asmodeus in the books is only an aspect of the real Asmodeus.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-02, 04:55 PM
Asmodues isn't stated. IIRC the Asmodeus in the books is only an aspect of the real Asmodeus.

Oh, I'm going to homebrew a weakened version of his manifestation, something like a CR 25 devil with divine spellcasting.