PDA

View Full Version : PC Race & New Type [PEACH]

Phosphate
2011-10-02, 02:49 PM
G
http://www.pxleyes.com/images/contests/dirty-statue/fullsize/Stone-Man-4cc06e31e6945.jpg
"Too bored to talk right now."
- Basically any G you may encounter

Type: Medium Cvasi-Construct
Ages:

{table]Adulthood | Simple | Moderate | Complex
10 | +1d4 | +1d6 | +1d8[/table]
{table]Middle Age | Old | Venerable | Maximum Age
70 | 110 | 150 | +4d4[/table]

As Cvasi-Constructs, G learn and mature very quickly, and their utter immunity to biological disease provides them with a pretty long lifespan. Additionally, due to their rather low distinction anatomies, G have very similar average lifespans.

Height/Weight: Being in the lower medium, G are about 5 feet tall, but weigh thrice as much as a human of the same size.

Languages: Flow (G specific language), Common
Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
Speed: 20 feet base land speed no matter how encumbered they are, 10 feet fly speed (perfect)

G are weird beings indeed - some say worse than aberrations. They are living iron and lead, and hold inside them metallic organs, glands, and blood vessels filled with mercury that function like those of carbon-based lifeforms. But what is particularly extraordinary about them is their apparently mundane ability to manipulate gravity.

They have built their culture around this little asset, which did do harm to them as they didn't invent such basic things as ladders, stairs or pulleys, but did in fact help them advance faster in more abstract and complex sciences, like physics, ecology, cosmology, philosophy, and arcana. Scientifically advanced but lacking a lot of things specific to all other races (like poetry, theater, clothes, the need to mass produce weapons until lately), they have always been the odd one out.

Names: G care little for bloodlines, and as such every individual G only has his own name, given to him by his parents, which he may change if he wants when he reaches adulthood (which for G is at about 10 years). Those names can be anything, from meaningless sounds strung together because they sound cool, to meaningful words ranging from obvious to apparent.

Appearance: G are bald and muscular looking. Their skin is a shiny or opaque black coating that may or may not reveal the pseudomuscles beneath, that reddens with age. They have the outer anatomy of a regular humanoid, with 2 legs, 2 arms and a head attacked to a torso. G don't have ear sockets but their entire skin is like a single vibrating eardrum, allowing them to pick up on low, close sounds but miss ones that are far away, however obvious.

Racial Features:

+4 Constitution, +4 Intellect, -4 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
G are incredibly though and cognitive, but also rather clumsy due to their not so flexible joints. Also their purely utilitarian thinking makes it hard for them to be persuasive.

Cvasi-Construct Traits: Cvasi-Constructs are what could be described as beings similar to Living Constructs, but BOTH more living and more construct-like than them. They are not constructs awakened by magic, instead, they are naturally occurring races capable of reproducing for offspring, that are not carbon-based, but rather metallic or mineral in composition. Like a Living Construct, a Cvasi-Construct keeps its Constitution score and is immune to poison, paralysis, disease, and energy drain, but NOT to fatigue, exhaustion and sleep effects. Also, mind-affecting abilities function normally on them. Another difference comes from the fact that a Cvasi-Construct can only be healed by spells that specifically repair constructs, and is immune to spells that target only living beings, but DOES have the ability to heal damage naturally. A Cvasi-Construct does need to eat, but extremely rarely (G for instance need to eat a handful of iron ore every week or so), and requires sleep just like any living being.

Un-Aerodynamic Shape: G can fly perfectly at a speed of 10 feet because they nullify their weight and gravitationally pull themselves towards the destination, by sheer will. If they would be affected by a spell or any other ability that gives a flight speed or increases existing flight speed, they will be clumsy with it.

Tremorsense Payoff: G have Tremorsense out to 60 feet. They actually use tremorsense to hear things, so if for instance a G is flying, he becomes deaf by default (but if there is a road through the ground between a G and his target, the G can hear what is target is saying. Also, G can also hear themselves, so they don't incur deafness penalties to spellcasting)

Uncanny Stability: G are so stable, they add their Con twice to all con-based skill checks. Also, opponents that attempt to bull rush or overrun them take a -6 penalty on the check.

Robotic Harmonics (Ex): There is a certain thing about G anatomy that makes them feel both like a living thing and a clockwork. A Heal Check can be made on a G, but instead of the ranks in Heal it will use the healer's ranks in Knowledge (Engineering). Neither of those skills can be untrained.

Telekinesis (Ex): G can make small objects float around wherever he wants. There can be no more than 10 objects, and their weight added together must not exceed the weight of a G. A G cannot use telekinesis to remotely wield a weapon, as floating objects don't have too much supporting mass to bash an opponent with. All floating objects must be within the line of sight at all times. It is treated as a singular Free action to displace all 10 objects by 0 to 30 feet each, and they can be left hovering midair as long as the G is conscious and looks at them.

Thrustback (Ex): G can, as a full round action, push anyone in a straight line. The target gets a Ref Save against an opposed roll of d20+your Str mod+your Int mod, and if he fails, is shunted 15 feet away from you. Afterwards, he gets a Ref Save against a DC equal to that first Ref Save, and if he fails, he falls to prone. This ability becomes standard if the G has a character level of 6 or more, and swift if 11 or more.

Force Bubble (Ex): By setting up a repulsive gravitational field around him, with the edges of a sphere with a radius equal to the G's Int mod*10 feet, the G can defend himself from many hazards. Anything that enters the field is automatically treated as if it traveled 10 more feet. Movement inside the field is also twice as slow. (example: say a regular fighter with 30 feet land speed is 1 square away from the edge of the sphere. He enters the sphere by walking 2 squares, and as he is inside, he gets the 10 feet penalty, being treated as if it walked 5+10+10=25 feet. He can no longer advance, because every square is treated as 10 feet of movement, and he has 5 feet left.). Unaided objects that are lighter than the G will move away from him at a rate of 10 feet per round, unaided objects heavier than him (like the rocks, debris and snow in an avalanche) are merely slowed down by 10 feet when entering (or in case of things falling, treat them as falling from 10 feet closer to the ground). The bubble has the G at its center, and does not work when the G is moving - though it does at the end of his round. Suppressing and releasing this ability are full round actions.

Mercury Poisoning (Ex): Mercury is not good for you. If a G is swallowed by a creature, that creature will receive 1d20 damage per round and 1 ability damage to all its ability scores.

Religion: G are strangers to the notion of divinity, and contact with new cultures and their beliefs has failed to change that.

Favored Class: Factotum

Level Adjustment: +?

Read, PEACH, and...help me out on the LA pls.

Morph Bark
2011-10-02, 03:20 PM
The type, both mechanically and fluff-wise, sound like "they are living constructs, but I don't want to call them living constructs". From a mechanics standpoint, they are exactly the same (other than needing to eat food at rare times, which therefore makes no real difference, and not getting any healing from cure spells rather than just half, which also isn't a big difference either).

If you meant to emphasize that the healing only can work if it is specifically made for constructs, not just something like a general non-positive energy non-negative energy spell or effect, then they are officially useless since then not even martial strikes that heal have any effect on them.

Also, the names part sounds like you're challenging Welknair.

Phosphate
2011-10-02, 03:25 PM
1. They're not living constructs. They can be fatigued and stuff, which living constructs can't be. Also they are immune to things like Flesh to Stone, which is awesome, and have natural healing. The differences are pretty large. Also fluff-wise, Living Constructs are not, by my knowledge, able to reproduce. Or age, or die, for that matter.

2. Who's Welknair? And by this, I am asking, link to something of his that mirrors what I made here (cause I presume this was perceived as a copy).

Eldest
2011-10-02, 03:30 PM
So... +4 to Int, +4 to Con, and fight from level one...
Seems a bit strong.

Phosphate
2011-10-02, 03:35 PM
That's why I'm asking you guys for a LA.

Mulletmanalive
2011-10-02, 04:01 PM
Flight pretty much has a minimum LA of +2, unfortunately. Unless it has such a limited flight ceiling that it's not really flight, or is gained over a lot of levels, that is.

137beth
2011-10-02, 04:03 PM
1. They're not living constructs. They can be fatigued and stuff, which living constructs can't be. Also they are immune to things like Flesh to Stone, which is awesome, and have natural healing. The differences are pretty large. Also fluff-wise, Living Constructs are not, by my knowledge, able to reproduce. Or age, or die, for that matter.
1.Natural healing is nothing unusual for a construct...nor is it enough to warrant a new type.
2.Constructs are immune to flesh to stone as well.
3.Warforged age, though changes are less significant than with non-constructs.

In other words, the differences between Gs and constructs would be better off as racial traits/SQs, rather than creating a whole new type. Otherwise, we might as well say that dwarves are a new type, since other humanoids can't treat a dwarven waraxe as a martial weapon.

Phosphate
2011-10-02, 04:17 PM
Well if you take it like that Giants should be humanoids. I don't think the differences are minute enough to be put as racial traits.And yes, I know constructs have natural healing and immunity to things like flesh to stone, but living constructs don't.

Mulletmanalive
2011-10-02, 04:33 PM
Actually, if you check the SRD, you'll discover that neither Constructs nor their Living brethren heal naturally. Ever.

Living constucts can indeed be affected by Flesh to Stone...technically...

It becomes a little difficult to argue in that they're supposed to be partially organic but the spell specifically only works on animal matter, not plants... which warforged are stated to be...

My head hurts.

There is precident for Natural Healing as a racial trait [see the Maug in FF] and they are defacto immune to Flesh to Stone because of their composition. Immunity to Polymorph would cover that up anyway.

As you don't seem to have allowed for a G to starve to death, there seems no real difference in their eating, btw.

Phosphate
2011-10-02, 05:04 PM
Cvasi-constructs are not somewhat organic. They have a body that is completely organic but their organs are made of anorganic matter. This is why they ignore organic disease and poison, but still get tired, heal naturally and need sleep.

Pyromancer999
2011-10-02, 05:35 PM
Cvasi-constructs are not somewhat organic. They have a body that is completely organic but their organs are made of anorganic matter. This is why they ignore organic disease and poison, but still get tired, heal naturally and need sleep.

Why not just give them the Living Construct type but include those exceptions as racial traits?

Edit: Also, on a practical note, organic things aren't made out of inorganic matter.

Howler Dagger
2011-10-02, 05:46 PM

tell me this: what part of the body is not an organ?

Hanuman
2011-10-02, 06:37 PM
Actually, if you check the SRD, you'll discover that neither Constructs nor their Living brethren heal naturally. Ever.

Living constucts can indeed be affected by Flesh to Stone...technically...

It becomes a little difficult to argue in that they're supposed to be partially organic but the spell specifically only works on animal matter, not plants... which warforged are stated to be...

My head hurts.

There is precident for Natural Healing as a racial trait [see the Maug in FF] and they are defacto immune to Flesh to Stone because of their composition. Immunity to Polymorph would cover that up anyway.

As you don't seem to have allowed for a G to starve to death, there seems no real difference in their eating, btw.
Warforged are anti-undead, living constructs run on a link the the positive plane if I'm not mistaken.

Well, it appears you're wanting to make a race of rock/metal pokemon but the real question is LA so I'll try and help.

A collar of perpetual attendance costs 2000g, it uses perm. unseen servant, you have 10 of these from your telekinesis alone. (20,000g)

Honestly I don't really want to read Force Bubble (which isn't made of force?).

What system is this? Intellect isn't a DnD Attribute?

Uh, ok so un-aerodynamic makes their weight 0, but that doesn't really say they can fly, kind of like you can't fly in space-- you pushoff... gently ;]
You should probably add that the lack of weight disables the floating object effects as it's based on your weight.

This seems like you should make it a monster entry first, then try expanding from there.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009

Siosilvar
2011-10-02, 06:44 PM

Ow. That hurts my head.

Try something along the lines of "organic, but not as we know it - they're silicon-based instead of carbon-based or something" instead of just "organic, but not".

And somewhat off-topic... In a world/universe with these quasi-constructs, wouldn't there exist poisons and diseases that affect them but not "standard" organics?

Phosphate
2011-10-03, 10:48 AM
Also, on a practical note, organic things aren't made out of inorganic matter.

In real life.

tell me this: what part of the body is not an organ?

I do not understand the question.

Warforged are anti-undead, living constructs run on a link the the positive plane if I'm not mistaken.

Also a notable difference. Cvasi-Constructs work because they work, because of the chemical processes that sustain them, not because of some weird extraplanar energy.

Well, it appears you're wanting to make a race of rock/metal pokemon but the real question is LA so I'll try and help.

A collar of perpetual attendance costs 2000g, it uses perm. unseen servant, you have 10 of these from your telekinesis alone. (20,000g)

Unseen servants are better than telekinesis to be perfectly honest, since they, although having a short range, can operate anywhere within that range. G require line of sight (as a simple example, you don't have line of sight to things in your backpack, but an unseen servant can still fetch and ready them for you) for telekinesis. It's not that far away though, maybe a 15'000 g, though I'm not sure you should scale prices like that (I mean, just because a bomb does x damage and costs y money, doesn't mean that another bomb that does 10x damage should cost 10y money).

Honestly I don't really want to read Force Bubble (which isn't made of force?).

It's called Force Bubble because it uses the force of gravity. But not the magical "force" used in D&D. It pretty much goes like this:

Q: Should it logically affect ethereal beings?
A: Not really.
C: Therefore, it's not made of force

What system is this? Intellect isn't a DnD Attribute?

Obvious typo is obvious.

Uh, ok so un-aerodynamic makes their weight 0, but that doesn't really say they can fly, kind of like you can't fly in space-- you pushoff... gently ;]
You should probably add that the lack of weight disables the floating object effects as it's based on your weight.

Um...have you actually READ un-aerodynamic?
Here's how it works. G have an inherent fly speed of 10 feet (perfect). Un-aerodynamic has NOTHING to do with that. What Un-Aerodynamic does is that when G are flying with anything but their inherent speed (windwalk, wings etc.) or their inherent speed is boosted (Expeditious Retreat I think) they change from (perfect) to (clumsy).

Try something along the lines of "organic, but not as we know it - they're silicon-based instead of carbon-based or something"

Dude....THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

And somewhat off-topic... In a world/universe with these quasi-constructs, wouldn't there exist poisons and diseases that affect them but not "standard" organics?

Let me give you a simple real life example.

Arsenic based bacteria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_eating_bacteria)

Those dudes really exist, and can substitute some of the phosphorus in their DNA with arsenic. Basically they are the ONLY things on the planet for which arsenic is NOT dangerous.

And guess what, there is also nothing that is specifically dangerous to them, but harmless for normal bacteria.

Morph Bark
2011-10-03, 12:14 PM
In real life.

I do not understand the question.

Dude....THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

Inorganic means "not organic". Therefore, saying something is organic made out of inorganic stuff is a logical fallacy. This is why Siosilvar suggested scrapping that part and simply saying they aren't carbon-based lifeforms, but silicon-based. Carbon is not in itself organic, this is very important to note.

Also, every part of an organism is an organ. Skin is an organ, a bone is an organ, and so on. See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_(anatomy)).

Phosphate
2011-10-03, 12:18 PM
Inorganic means "not organic". Therefore, saying something is organic made out of inorganic stuff is a logical fallacy. This is why Siosilvar suggested scrapping that part and simply saying they aren't carbon-based lifeforms, but silicon-based. Carbon is not in itself organic, this is very important to note.

Nope, this is you making a logical fallacy. "Organic" and "made of organic matter" are completely different things. I also didn't say carbon is organic matter, organic matter is any molecule that contains links of carbon and Hydrogen (at the same time). Therefore, a silicon-based lifeform would be organic, but made of inorganic matter.

Also, every part of an organism is an organ. Skin is an organ, a bone is an organ, and so on.

Obviously. What's your point?

Morph Bark
2011-10-03, 01:18 PM
Organic matter by its definition is something that is or was once part of a living organism. Therefore, if you have a silicon-based lifeform, the stuff it is made of would be organic.

Obviously. What's your point?

...then why didn't you understand SheepInDisguise's question: "what part of the body is not an organ?"

Also, I'd like to note that the Giant type actually does have its place. If Giants were simply humanoids they would be vulnerable to things like charm person, rather than spellcasters needing to wait until charm monster.

arguskos
2011-10-03, 01:49 PM
On a purely mechanical stand-point, this new type is not useful and could be more easily and cleanly done as a Living Construct that has several specific exemptions to the limitations of that type (I believe such has precedent, though I'll be damned if I am going to bother tracking them down atm).

To create a new type, it must fill a role that has not been filled (see: my Eldritch type, that's somewhere in the depths of one of the Z-R threads). This subtype just doesn't, and I see little reason to bother with it.

As for your creature, it seems fine. LA at least +3 would seem to be in order.

Hanuman
2011-10-03, 03:47 PM
Also a notable difference. Cvasi-Constructs work because they work, because of the chemical processes that sustain them, not because of some weird extraplanar energy. --
A Cvasi-Construct does need to eat, but extremely rarely (G for instance need to eat a handful of iron ore every week or so), and requires sleep just like any living being.
Ohhhh, GORONS. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEclFoG2pBI)

Unseen servants are better than telekinesis to be perfectly honest, since they, although having a short range, can operate anywhere within that range. G require line of sight (as a simple example, you don't have line of sight to things in your backpack, but an unseen servant can still fetch and ready them for you) for telekinesis. It's not that far away though, maybe a 15'000 g, though I'm not sure you should scale prices like that (I mean, just because a bomb does x damage and costs y money, doesn't mean that another bomb that does 10x damage should cost 10y money).
Mass unseen servant would be the ratio factor there, but this is more like some sort of mega magehand right? I think theres gloves that do that, but certainly not 10 at once, and probably not, what, 50lbs each or being able to pick up 500lbs at a time as a free action?

It's called Force Bubble because it uses the force of gravity. But not the magical "force" used in D&D. It pretty much goes like this:

Q: Should it logically affect ethereal beings?
A: Not really.
C: Therefore, it's not made of force

It's pretty logical to assume a forcefield effects ethereal creatures, that's almost always abjuration.

Um...have you actually READ un-aerodynamic?
Here's how it works. G have an inherent fly speed of 10 feet (perfect). Un-aerodynamic has NOTHING to do with that. What Un-Aerodynamic does is that when G are flying with anything but their inherent speed (windwalk, wings etc.) or their inherent speed is boosted (Expeditious Retreat I think) they change from (perfect) to (clumsy).
.............but weight is relative to gravity...

Nope, this is you making a logical fallacy. "Organic" and "made of organic matter" are completely different things. I also didn't say carbon is organic matter, organic matter is any molecule that contains links of carbon and Hydrogen (at the same time). Therefore, a silicon-based lifeform would be organic, but made of inorganic matter.This is totally bait for a produce pun, but I have to point out that you're simply wrong. Organic matter is about living ****, organic compounds is about yer carbons, yer hydrogans and yer linkajazz.

And while writing this I did a search for gorons, and oh man this is WAY too funny. Guess who :smallsmile:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9642355&postcount=3