PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars

SlashRunner
2011-10-02, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone. I note that there is not much Guild Wars going around here, which is a shame, considering that I really like the game. I have no idea what the accepted standards are for starting threads like this, so...I guess this is the Guild Wars thread...
Seriously though, I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone could show me how you generally do this, or better yet make their own thread on the same topic, I would greatly appreciate it.

SlashRunner
2011-10-02, 05:48 PM
...No one is interested in responding?
I love how these forums move fast, but I hate how they have this tendency to ignore your threads...

SlashRunner
2011-10-02, 09:26 PM
...There's not a single person here who has played Guild Wars and had anything to say about it? I find that hard to believe...

TSED
2011-10-02, 09:32 PM
GW is pretty good times.

Unfortunately, GW is... abandoned, these days. Not many people still play it. I haven't played it for about a year, at least...

AlterForm
2011-10-02, 09:37 PM
...There's not a single person here who has played Guild Wars and had anything to say about it? I find that hard to believe...

GW is pretty good times.

Unfortunately, GW is... abandoned, these days. Not many people still play it. I haven't played it for about a year, at least...

Pretty much this. After the 7-hero update, there wasn't a whole lot of reason to play with other people since heroes often handled meta-level skillbars better than humans (due to reaction times, "input" times, and the ability to read allied energy bars).

GW:Beyond is a pretty neat way to lead up to GW2, but it's disheartening to see that the Normal Mode quests are so difficult. I have a 7-hero team with damn good bars, and I run into trouble at times. Perhaps it's Anet trying to push people back to grouping together? (It'd be a strange way to do it, since heroes are "better," and most anyone you'd group with would be in your guild and thus you'd be grouping with them anyway)

GW2 is currently my "YES ALL THE HYPE" MMO, having overtaken SWTOR sometime during the summer. It's frustrating to see ANet trickle out information so slowly, but also really cool to see what kinds of early-development iterations they're making behind the scenes.

Xefas
2011-10-02, 11:27 PM
Oh god, oh god, the triple post! It burns my eyes!
A friend bought me the complete Guild Wars package about a year back, but I didn't start playing it until a few weeks ago.

It's okay. I tried starting with Prophecies. It was definitely a nostalgic throwback to an older time. A time before modern MMOs where there was no tutorial, information was unintuitive to obtain, and lots of game logic was just plain ass backwards. The difference being that the average person I've met in game has been a snide jerk who wants to be left alone to either farm in solitude, scream bigoted hate speech in the larger towns, or follow you around, jamming on the "add to party" button while whisper spamming you "Are you a girl? You want to cyber with me?" (no, really, this last one has happened to me three separate times now).

I mean, good god. Maybe it's just the times that I play on (I tend to play very late at night/early in the morning), but these people seem even more antisocial than the folks I've met when playing Warcraft or Team Fortress 2 (this is a feat). This means that, unlike back in the day, instead of leaning on other people to puzzle out the game (which can be fun), I'm leaning on a variety of wikis (which isn't so much).

So, it might as well be a single player game. Fortunately, I called up the same friend who'd gifted me the game in the first place, and they told me to start with Factions instead. That went much better. Tutorial, helpful NPCs, etc etc. As a single player game, it's still a bit slow and grindy, and a lot of situations end up being frustrating or arbitrary rather than actually difficult, but there have been a few occasions that made me stop and go "Oh, that was pretty cool."

I doubt I'll play much longer, but the game was at least mindless enough that I could play it while watching a show or listening to an audiobook and not miss much. I guess, in the end, I don't have any regrets about spending the time to play it. The whole reason I started playing in the first place was to catch up on some lore for Guild Wars 2 (which looks like an incredible game), and I have at least achieved that much.

Starwulf
2011-10-03, 01:13 AM
A friend bought me the complete Guild Wars package about a year back, but I didn't start playing it until a few weeks ago.

It's okay. I tried starting with Prophecies. It was definitely a nostalgic throwback to an older time. A time before modern MMOs where there was no tutorial, information was unintuitive to obtain, and lots of game logic was just plain ass backwards. The difference being that the average person I've met in game has been a snide jerk who wants to be left alone to either farm in solitude, scream bigoted hate speech in the larger towns, or follow you around, jamming on the "add to party" button while whisper spamming you "Are you a girl? You want to cyber with me?" (no, really, this last one has happened to me three separate times now).

I mean, good god. Maybe it's just the times that I play on (I tend to play very late at night/early in the morning), but these people seem even more antisocial than the folks I've met when playing Warcraft or Team Fortress 2 (this is a feat). This means that, unlike back in the day, instead of leaning on other people to puzzle out the game (which can be fun), I'm leaning on a variety of wikis (which isn't so much).

So, it might as well be a single player game. Fortunately, I called up the same friend who'd gifted me the game in the first place, and they told me to start with Factions instead. That went much better. Tutorial, helpful NPCs, etc etc. As a single player game, it's still a bit slow and grindy, and a lot of situations end up being frustrating or arbitrary rather than actually difficult, but there have been a few occasions that made me stop and go "Oh, that was pretty cool."

I doubt I'll play much longer, but the game was at least mindless enough that I could play it while watching a show or listening to an audiobook and not miss much. I guess, in the end, I don't have any regrets about spending the time to play it. The whole reason I started playing in the first place was to catch up on some lore for Guild Wars 2 (which looks like an incredible game), and I have at least achieved that much.

I'm actually looking forward to both Guild Wars 2, and...I think it's called Terraria? Both seem like they are going to be excellent MMOs, and each has their different strong points. Guild wars 2 individual characters seem like they will have much more choice around them, while Terraria is boasting an impressive sounding political system that I think I could really get behind ^^. Never played the original Guild wars though, but I have a good buddy who swore by the game for the longest time, so hopefully GW2 lives up to it's predecessors high bar.
whispers: Are you a girl? Do you want to cyber with me?

Bunny of Faith
2011-10-03, 02:21 AM
I'm actually looking forward to both Guild Wars 2, and...I think it's called Terraria? Both seem like they are going to be excellent MMOs, and each has their different strong points. Guild wars 2 individual characters seem like they will have much more choice around them, while Terraria is boasting an impressive sounding political system that I think I could really get behind ^^. Never played the original Guild wars though, but I have a good buddy who swore by the game for the longest time, so hopefully GW2 lives up to it's predecessors high bar.
whispers: Are you a girl? Do you want to cyber with me?

You're thinking of Tera.

I think the only reason people are really playing guild wars at the moment these days is because GW2 is coming out, and you can get things for GW2 in Guild Wars via The Hall of Monuments (http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/). I personally play with two IRL friends to make it actually entertaining, also 5-7 heroes can fairly easily destroy most content so long as we give them minimal protection/support.

Diovid
2011-10-03, 06:31 AM

Actually Nightfall is waaaaay more fun to start with than Factions. Factions might have slightly faster progression and the whole Asian-theme but Nightfall is much better in terms of quests, missions and what not, plus you get heroes. Personally I still like Prophecies best but then I again I've played the game since the first beta so that's probably caused by nostalgia.

If you want to know more about lore, you don't actually need to play the game (unless you are also trying to get the HoM rewards). Nice sources for lore are:

The Guild Wars 1 manuals (http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/manuals.php)
The Guild Wars 1 wiki (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore)
The Guild Wars 2 wiki (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lore)
The novel Ghosts of Ascalon (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ghosts_of_ascalon)
The novel Edge of Destiny (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_Destiny)
The novel Sea of Sorrows (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sea_of_Sorrows_%28book%29) (which isn't out yet).

The novels in particulier are written to bridge the gap between GW1 and GW2, although most consider them to be only decent at best.

SlashRunner
2011-10-03, 03:27 PM

I don't know... I've been playing the game for a long while (since 07, I believe), and the community has never struck me as how bad you claim it is. I've met quite a few people who are actually cool just by random PUGing or chatting in towns.
I think that the best part of the game is the ability to customize your skill bars. I've had tons of fun with that, designing builds for a variety of purposes. I remember the long nights, sitting there and debating which skills each of our party members should bring for a certain mission, fine-tuning it every time we fail. It was genuine fun. And even once you've basically figured out the best build for every situation, you can still have tons of fun thinking of plain silly builds to mess with.
Also, I started in Nightfall, and I think it's probably the best place to start. Factions goes a bit fast, Prophecies is too damn slow (I still haven't finished it, even on my level 20 characters, because it's just SOO BORING!). Nightfall is just right. It doesn't have a lot of level grind, all the grind is mainly for a few titles early on.
It's possible that the 7 hero update killed the game. I don't know, I've only recently started looking back at it and my knowledge of the game is somewhat outdated (Hell, I'm still trying to re-learn my class, after that whole dervish update). But I've had tons of fun in it, lots of memories, and I hope beyond hope that it won't die when GW2 comes out. ANet says that they're continuing support for it after GW2, so hopefully there will be some people who still like it who will keep playing...

EDIT: Also, for anyone who has the game and would still be interested in playing: my main character's name is Slash Runner, and I'd like to actually play it a bit once more, so...

FuryOfMetal
2011-10-11, 02:31 PM
I occasionally check to see if there's a GW thread and couldn't be bothere to make one but thakfully there is :smallbiggrin: Sadly I haven't played in maybe a month though. I'm waiting for GW2 with all the hype of hamsters on caffeine, sprinting on their little wheel all day.

My experience of the community has never been as bad as Xefas' experience. On the whole I'd say it's always been a good community. The only things that plague it are people trying to cyber in Pre-Searing in public chat and rarely some players acting superior just because they're not noobs. I've been playing since 07 I think, when Factions came out and I remember usually receving help when I asked and now I always answer questions of less experienced players, occasionally piggybacking ultra-new players for an hour to teach them the ropes.

For me though, I have lost interest because I've logged 3000+ hours (somehow :smalleek:), about 1200 on my main and I only have Hall of Monuments left to do, the majority of my remaining points being PvP based or just having to money to pay for it (which I don't have enough for)

:edit: Also your avatar is the picture for the luxon version of avatar of holy might, unless they changed it. I hope you bake your cookies large :smallwink: And I hope I do actually remember to save myself the embarassment...