PDA

View Full Version : When a horny dude meets a girl (Spoilers are probable)

jjpickar
2011-10-02, 07:49 PM
That came out wrong:smallconfused::smalltongue:

Lets talk about the Ico and Shadow of Colossus Collection on the PS3. I just got the game last week and I just beat Ico. I haven't started playing Shadow yet but I had wanted to play them chronologically.

I'd always wanted to play Ico and Shadow but unfortunately never got around to buying a PS2. So I can't tell you how overjoyed I was when I hear about the collection.

After beating Ico, I can say I was pleasantly surprised. It took me less than ten hours, the camera was a bit ornery, and the control inputs felt a little floaty but the rest of it was pretty sweet. I like the minimalist approach to everything; there isn't even a HUD! Plus there's a real feeling of accomplishment of turning a little boy with a stick into a bonafide hero. The limited exposition was also very appreciated; you are only told enough to get the basic outline of the story and they give you the freedom and dignity to fill in the blanks. The part where Yorda's evil shadow mom/thing shows up when the gate closess feels like a veritable info dump.

One little issue did come up that caused me to go to game faqs:The version on the collection is the European version of the game and not the American version that most of the faqs assume. There is a part after the waterfall room where Ico must traverse a room by climbing on some pipes to get through a window. This is the same room where one finds the secret mace. In the European version the pipes don't lead to the window but rather to a switch that activates a piston that allows Ico to jump to the window. Not being very good at timing my jumps, I became so frustrated that I went to Gamefaqs to confirm that what I was doing was correct. (This is the only time I got any hints for the game. If ugured everything else out on my own.) Imagine my surprise when every faq I read made no mention of either switch or piston and just said to climb along the the pipes. Nonplussed I went to a youtube lets play. Needless to say it was also of the American version and I nearly fell out of the chair when I saw that THERE WERE PIPES BUT NO SWITCH!!! I eventually figured it out but I felt I had stepped into the gaming version of the twilight zone.

Another thing I liked but must spoiler:The ending was really sweet. I had already had Shadow's ending spoilered and was expecting something equally bleak and the beach scene came as a very pleasant surprise.

I want a save couch.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-02, 07:57 PM
Ico's ending will remain one of the most emotional moments for me in video games ever. DAT SONG helps a lot.
Also, the final scene is even happier in New Game+, where you can find and grab a watermelon and then when Ico finds Yorda, you can see them sharing it.

I don't think if the ending of SotC is so bleak.
Wander has been reduced to an infant, but both Momo and Argo are alive. And since it's heavily implied that the horned boys are Wander's descendants, it's pretty safe to assume that all of them survived and lived in the Forbidden Land peacefully.