PDA

View Full Version : SAS: Heroes of Steam and Sorcery(OOC)



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mordaenor
2011-10-03, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the OOC thread for our S.A.S. game. IC thread coming soon.

infoweasel
2011-10-06, 11:40 AM
So are we going to have a setting available soon? Doesn't have to be super-detailed, if we wanted to say 'London in 1904' or whatever that'd be fine by me.

Mordaenor
2011-10-06, 07:57 PM
Our game will start in 1911. The place will be the U.S. specifically Boston, MA. Any adjustments you want to make to you background to get you character there, feel free to do so.

Fovar
2011-10-06, 08:58 PM
Boston, 1911.

Alright. After Automobile, Before Mass Production. Got its subway. Catholic: the expression ''Banned in Boston'' is commonly used. One of the firsts automobiile production center at that time.

Okay, got it.

Pyrite
2011-10-07, 05:44 AM
I think I'll go with having been spotted in Denver before, as Professor. Sauren was using mining equipment from there to build his digging engine. We've moved to the east coast because the good Professor is now attempting to get his work on the subject in to scientific journals, and due to the fantastic nature of his claims he needs to be face to face with people in charge of such things to convince them.

Also building the digging engine nearly bankrupted him, and since Julia pointed out that living off of gemstones and metals provided by Enkida would lead to trouble with the IRS, he has had to resume teaching classes.

This has lead to the first sightings of the supposed 'Dragon of Denver' around the outskirts of Boston, mostly by transients, hikers, hunters, and nature-watchers. The tabloids print stories about him when they run out of scandal.

Mordaenor
2011-10-07, 11:56 AM
I think I'll go with having been spotted in Denver before, as Professor. Sauren was using mining equipment from there to build his digging engine. We've moved to the east coast because the good Professor is now attempting to get his work on the subject in to scientific journals, and due to the fantastic nature of his claims he needs to be face to face with people in charge of such things to convince them.

Also building the digging engine nearly bankrupted him, and since Julia pointed out that living off of gemstones and metals provided by Enkida would lead to trouble with the IRS, he has had to resume teaching classes.

This has lead to the first sightings of the supposed 'Dragon of Denver' around the outskirts of Boston, mostly by transients, hikers, hunters, and nature-watchers. The tabloids print stories about him when they run out of scandal.

Only the Boston Papers call him "The Dragon of Dorchester" :-)

Fovar
2011-10-07, 05:45 PM
A German Ambassy in Boston being unlikely at best, the Haartman family will go from diplomats to businessmen. With ties to the ambassy, and family ties to the emperor of Germany himself.

Meh, less risks involved, and more easily blackmailable.

And in 1911, there were already a bit more turmoil in Europe than in 1904. Sweet, more pressure on this "Wanted" status...

Pyrite
2011-10-07, 11:35 PM
Only the Boston Papers call him "The Dragon of Dorchester" :-)

Eh, I guess that's better than 'The Dragon of Dusseldorf" at least.

Fovar
2011-10-09, 12:26 PM
Awaiting the start of the game impatiently:

Creating other concepts meanwhile (for the fun of it):

- Anachromism, warrior of time
- Steel, the robot-protector from spaaaaaace
- Rawk, the Gargoyle of Boston
- Baelzebub, the White-Daemon
- Gaea, Nature Elemental
- Junior, Clockwork Automaton
- Bulk, the Minotaur

etc.

Mordaenor
2011-10-10, 08:23 AM
Awaiting the start of the game impatiently:

Creating other concepts meanwhile (for the fun of it):

- Anachromism, warrior of time
- Steel, the robot-protector from spaaaaaace
- Rawk, the Gargoyle of Boston
- Baelzebub, the White-Daemon
- Gaea, Nature Elemental
- Junior, Clockwork Automaton
- Bulk, the Minotaur

etc.

Fun, isn't it? I made an Earth Elemental hero once, a Powerhouse with Dynamic Powers(Earth) Think Toph from "Avatar" (including being blind) with the added benefit of being MADE of earth and therefor being able to affect himself with his own powers. ANYWAY....


We're off, first IC posted. A quick word, I am going to try to gather the party together as quickly as possible, but some characters may not be involved right away, due to how I'm going to draw things together.

I've sent everyone a PM with a quick note about where you are, I need everyone to post in greater detail of what you are doing/saying/thinking at this precise moment.

Let's do this.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12000041#post12000041

Mordaenor
2011-10-11, 09:48 AM
Okay, everyone Hearing and Spot checks. Enkida, also roll tremorsense. (In case you hadn't noticed there are no "hearing and spot" skills in SAS, so any such rolls are simply Int checks + bonuses for Heightened Sense/Awareness. As a house rule, I'll allow you to use Wis instead of Int if it is higher.)

Corw1n
2011-10-11, 10:19 AM
Rolling:

Hearing:
[roll0]

Spot:
[roll1]

Mordaenor
2011-10-11, 10:30 AM
A couple words about Advancment since I happen to be thinking about it right now. The SAS sourcebook is relatively silent on the matter, but I have the following house rules in play.

1) Even though some people have taken "Highly Trained" to start the game off at Level higher than 1, everyone still starts off at 0 XP. Thus your first level up will be the same regardless of what level you are actually starting at.

2) According to the rulebook, Mult-classing is free. I put it one condition: a class that is not in-line with your character concept needs to be justified, and I reserve the right to veto it. I will have to convinced why Enkida or the Shade might suddenly be taking a level in Psychic. Anyone can Multi- to the Adventurer class. The same applies to gaining new Attributes.

3) Anytime the PHB says you would gain a Feat or a Stat point, gain 1 extra Power Point. Spend it or save it for later.

4) The book says you can only take Highly Trained at Char Creation. I disagree. If you have 10PP's, and want to spend them to buy yourself an extra level, go ahead. However levels bought this way aren't eligible for the extra PP mentioned in step 3.

Fovar
2011-10-11, 06:20 PM
James Caswell

Spot Check
[roll0]

Listen Check
[roll1]

I'd go with an all around perception check like in 4th Ed. Especially if no skill exist.

Pyrite
2011-10-11, 07:35 PM
Found the guide to PBP games so I can use the diceroller

Pretty grateful for the wisdom houserule, since I'd assumed that was how it worked anyway and that's why Enkida has such a high wisdom.

Sight:
[roll0]
Hearing:
[roll1]
Tremorsense:
[roll2]

Fovar
2011-10-11, 08:47 PM
For the record, how often a day/week should we check/post?

Mordaenor
2011-10-11, 09:27 PM
Personally, I don't expect people to spend all day hanging out on these boards so once or twice a day seems reasonable to me.

Pyrite
2011-10-12, 01:16 AM
I am a bit uncertain about one thing: What is my tunneling speed per round with tunneling 5? I know it uses the medium progression table, but It's a bit confusing exactly what the midrange between 10 yards per hour and 500 miles per hour is.

I also have to admit that this power is quite a bit more advantageous in the 1900s, when the cities are not as much a network of buried power, fuel, and water lines.

Mordaenor
2011-10-12, 08:37 AM
I am a bit uncertain about one thing: What is my tunneling speed per round with tunneling 5? I know it uses the medium progression table, but It's a bit confusing exactly what the midrange between 10 yards per hour and 500 miles per hour is.

Looking at the Medium Progression chart on Page 32, you would find the starting value of 10 (which is Rank 3 on the Prog. Chart), and then count up 5 ranks. Tunnelling at Rank 10 is 1,000,000 Yards per Hour, which they approximate as 500 MPH for sake of simplicity. So for you, at Rank 5, you're at 1000 Yards per Hour.

Corw1n
2011-10-12, 09:00 AM
Looking at the Medium Progression chart on Page 32, you would find the starting value of 10 (which is Rank 3 on the Prog. Chart), and then count up 5 ranks. Tunnelling at Rank 10 is 1,000,000 Yards per Hour, which they approximate as 500 MPH for sake of simplicity. So for you, at Rank 5, you're at 1000 Yards per Hour.

What kind of magic allows you to burrow that fast!!! Can you make tunnels? :smallbiggrin: Because if you can, I vote we become the underground dwelling justic league :smallwink:

Mordaenor
2011-10-12, 09:14 AM
What kind of magic allows you to burrow that fast!!! Can you make tunnels? :smallbiggrin: Because if you can, I vote we become the underground dwelling justic league :smallwink:

It's actually not terribly fast. 1000 Yards per Hour is barely over half a mile. Most people can walk faster than that.

Corw1n
2011-10-12, 09:25 AM
Ah I missed the Rank 5 part, I was stuck on the Rank 10 500 MPH burrowing :smallredface:

Pyrite
2011-10-12, 04:16 PM
ugh, so a little over 1 yard a turn, assuming we've still got 6 second turns. That is less fast than I'd hoped. I guess it's realistic though. Is there any way I could be allowed to juggle a couple more points into that for 8 or 16 yards a turn?

Mordaenor
2011-10-12, 08:30 PM
Corw1n, are you using lethal force?

Fovar
2011-10-13, 12:48 PM
Will try to post once in the early morning and once in the evening every weekdays.

And at least once every saturday and sunday.

Mordaenor
2011-10-13, 01:03 PM
Fovar: Please make a Mechanics(Clockwork) check to determine how much you can figure out about the car.

Pyrite: Do you have any PP's left to spend? If you boost your Tunnelling to Rank 6, that's about 5000 Yards/hour, which I calculate to be about 8 Yards/Rounds. If you want to reduce something else let me know. It won't have affected game play to this point, so I'll allow a last minute change.
(That goes for everyone else too. Last chance to make a last minute change to your character.)

Corw1n
2011-10-13, 01:06 PM
Corw1n, are you using lethal force?

Argh, forgot to check this after my last post. No I am not using lethal force, I think I took off for that on my roll, if not then I meant too :smallmad:

Mordaenor
2011-10-13, 02:53 PM
Bully's Initiative: [roll0]

Corw1n
2011-10-13, 03:29 PM
Zhang's extra Defenses(that actually came in handy!) roll:

[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-13, 03:31 PM
A word about Defense: Since SAS treats defense as an Action, there may be times when you do not wish to take a Defense roll. But no where does it say what the DC is to hit a target who's not defending, so I play by the follwoing rule: The BASE DC to hit with a Melee Attack is 5. BASE DC to hit with a Ranged Attack is 10. (Distance modifies your Attack roll rather than the DC.)

Corw1n
2011-10-13, 03:40 PM
Oh yes, that was a Parry defense.

Mordaenor
2011-10-13, 03:49 PM
Bully's Defense Check [roll0]

Fovar
2011-10-13, 06:37 PM
In fact that isn't true. It says that defense is not passive (10+whatever modifiers) but instead active ( d20+whatever modifiers). This ensure that one's AC is not maximized thus rendering most attacks harmless.

This also allows for a critical hit on a defense roll.

From what I read, when one tries to hit an aware target, that target is offered a defense roll. On following attacks, there is a cumulative -2 penalty to the target's AC UNLESS that target has extra defenses.

The Extra Defense option is thus sub par: Extra ''attack'' rank 1 always devoted to ''Full Defense'' option is both more costly, versatile and effective.

A character with extra defenses rank 3 could avoid with full AC 4 attacks/round before taking any penalty. A character with extra attack 1 could avoid the first with +4 to AC / +2 AC / Base AC / -2 AC...

Now parry (effectively block) offers a bonus of +2 to the AC: It is easier to block than completely avoid a target. But you need something to block with. Force Fields with ''Shield only'' can be used, just as many objects designed or not to do so. The object absorbs damage. If that damage absorption is not enough, the item breacks (or shield diminishes) and the rest pass through. It is then absorbed by power absorption/armour/hit points, etc.

A Defense roll can be forfeited. If a thug would shoot me (and my 15 armor value) with a pistol, I might not choose to dodge in order to ready myself against the bazooka.

I'll post later with references to the rulebook. Correct me if need be.

Fovar
2011-10-13, 06:50 PM
Unaware targets goes by the original 3.5 Edition rule:

Flat-Footed Armor Class, no roll

And since armor do not add to Armor class, nor do magic items, that means everyone with no ''uncanny dodge'' has an effective 10 AC when flatfooted.

Your houserule is fine by me. High Initiative for the win!

EDIT: Partial Cover / Total Cover still gives a bonus to AC.
Partial Concealment / Total Concealment still gives a miss percentage roll.
This is what those ''Fighting/Shooting Blind" talents are for.

Fovar
2011-10-13, 07:12 PM
Gauge engine / Mechanic [roll0]
Sabotage (if applicable) / Mechanic [roll1]

EDIT: I suppose touching such High-Pressure mechanical equipments to be high DC (20-22). A failure may indicate that I wound myself or that the sabotage is not as subtle as I wished it to be.

This however is my point of view. Work your magic Mordaenor!

Fovar
2011-10-13, 10:04 PM
SilverAgeSentinel, p. 114

To successfully attack an opponent, the player (or GM for an NPC) must roll equal to or greater than the target's AC (...)

If the Attack check succeeds, the character is on target and will hit unless the opponent can defend against the attack. Refer to Defense checks, page 122, for more information. If the target fails the defense check or do not defend at all, he or she suffers the effects of the attack.(...)

(...) a natural dice of 20 is a critical success and cannot be negated by an opponent's defense.

So Attack vs. passive AC. If hit, active AC can be rolled.

p.122

To successfully defend, the player must roll equal to or greater than the attacker's modified attack roll. The character's defense roll (or Armour Class) is equal to 1d20 + the character's AC Modifier + any additional appropriate modifiers. Each character can attempt a defense only once against a particular attack (including grapples). A character may defend against more than one attack in a round, but with an appropriate penalty to each defense after the first.

Note: My previous statement about extra defense being less than optimal is false: A character having more than one attack per round must sacrifice EVERY ONE OF THEM to go Full Defense. The bonus is simply greater if he has more than 1 attack. In my case it would be +12 AC Bonus.

Note: My previous statement about block is correct. It offers a bonus on the dodge roll, but may not prevent every single point of damage. Useful for Endika as excess damage will probably bounce of its hide.

Note: The defense roll is made for the game to be less lethal. It offers a second chance to avoid an attack. As an opponent always have the choice either to try to dodge/parry/block, this may bog down a play by post game or offers an unfair advantage by being rolled before the decision is made.

A defense roll can be fumbled.

A defense roll is useless (unless it is a natural 20) if the attacker hits the passive AC by 10 or more.

EDIT: In the case of stoppable attacks, it should be rolled as it hits (unless it requires a reflex save). Otherwise, ennemies won't attempt to destroy it in mid-air if they know the attack missed in the first place!

Mordaenor
2011-10-13, 10:29 PM
P.22 has the passage that I'd been looking for and could never find. The base DC for a character who is not taking a defense roll.
"If the character is target of a successful attack (any attack check that is equal or greater than the target's base AC Modifier)" In other words they assume a roll of 0 if the character is not actively dodging, and Defense Combat skills don't apply. Hmmmm.... I think I might still like my house rule better.

Also do not confuse Parrying and Blocking. The game does distinguish between the two. A Parry is used to redirect Melee attacks. If successful the attack does no damage at all. A Block absorbs the attack, and the attack, if powerful enough, can still cause some damage. This is part of the justification for +2 on Block checks, greater risk of taking some damage, even if successful. Also, it's harder to Block because it requires something armored to Block WITH. Zhang is not going to Block an incoming gunshot with his bare hands.

Mordaenor
2011-10-13, 10:50 PM
Bullies Initiative [roll0]

Corw1n, roll Init

Fovar, another Perception check please.

Pyrite, Init from you too, in case you decide to take action.

Pyrite
2011-10-14, 01:17 AM
Pyrite, Init from you too, in case you decide to take action.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Unless these guys are total pushovers compared to Zhang, Enkida will probably be rushing in after round one. Basically if he loses any HP or gets knocked down.

Also, I've edited Enkida's character sheet, dropping 4 points of Con for that extra rank of tunneling. It's really important to the character concept that he can basically dive deep into the ground to get away from danger. Now he digs 9 feet a round (8.33 yards) and only has 118 hit points.

Mordaenor
2011-10-14, 07:22 AM
Now he digs 9 feet a round (8.33 yards) and only has 118 hit points.

Check your math there, P. 8 Yards = 24 Feet.

Fovar
2011-10-14, 08:59 AM
Fovar, another Perception check please.


[roll0]

Mmmmh, they don't want the local autorities to know about Project Clockwork? Car-jacking is more and more interesting. Would put them on the defensive without actually revealing myself.

What would be great is to hand it over to the American Government. Too risky right now. Would take me too far away from the "team".

What would be good is to make them think it is handed over to the American Government. To dump it in a river or something may be the best option.

Sabotaging the device may cause a lot of problems as a skilled mechanic in this type of work may be hard to find. Might cause a villain to show himself.

Blasted, Bloody Decision! How shall I take thee!

On a sidenote, where's our spellcaster?

Corw1n
2011-10-14, 09:04 AM
Initiative roll:
[roll0]


Zhang is not going to Block an incoming gunshot with his bare hands.

yet...:smallbiggrin:

Mordaenor
2011-10-14, 09:26 AM
On a sidenote, where's our spellcaster?

Good question. I sent him a PM to let him know I was planning on starting the game, but I'd work him in once he finished his background, and I had a clearer idea of where he was coming from and how to introduce him. (Given the few details he'd hinted at, it made sense he might be a step behind anyway). Aaaand, I haven't heard from him since.


And Pyrite, looks like you have first action this round.

Fovar
2011-10-14, 09:47 AM
And the result of my (awesome) spot check?

Pyrite
2011-10-14, 12:07 PM
I am at this point delaying. Enkida just cannot risk revealing himself if it turns out to be unnecessary. He's not going to act at least until after the bullies have.

Pyrite
2011-10-14, 10:00 PM
Stealth check:
[roll0]

Fovar
2011-10-15, 11:41 PM
So... no progress over the week-end?

Mordaenor
2011-10-16, 07:46 PM
Since Enkida is holding his action I was hoping Corw1n would have posted Zhang's by now. But perhaps he has not had computer access this weekend. I don't want James to get to far ahead of them, as it is part of how I plan to get the group together.

Mordaenor
2011-10-17, 02:18 PM
Ooookay... If its your turn to act, and do not give me aheads up that you will be out of contact for more than a few days, you have 48 hours to post. That should be plent of time. Corw1n, if you don't post by this evening, I have to assume your character is taking no action. I've been part of too may games that fell apart because one person did not post their action.

Fovar
2011-10-17, 06:13 PM
Ooookay... If its your turn to act, and do not give me aheads up that you will be out of contact for more than a few days, you have 48 hours to post. That should be plent of time. Corw1n, if you don't post by this evening, I have to assume your character is taking no action. I've been part of too may games that fell apart because one person did not post their action.

Amen to that.

Mordaenor
2011-10-17, 08:41 PM
Fovar: Are you aiming for the thug while he's setting the device or waiting for them both to get into the car before firing. Either way, make an initiative roll.

Pyrite
2011-10-18, 12:27 AM
A couple of questions:

Why do the bullies all have -9 attack penalties? That seems...odd...

Also, why isn't Zhang suffering from the Defending Against Multiple Attacks penalty on Pg 123?

Mordaenor
2011-10-18, 08:05 AM
Because I chose (this time) to treat as a combined attack.

Fovar
2011-10-18, 11:58 AM
Okay boys, on the count of three, we all hit 'im on the head!

On another topic, Initiative:
[roll0]

I was reloading as they deployed the device and began shooting as they started the engine, aiming for the new driver first.

And unless you say it will greatly help the flow of the story, I won't approach whatever device they intentionnaly left on the ground, as the proverbial shoebox in a dungeon room.

Mordaenor
2011-10-18, 12:22 PM
I was reloading as they deployed the device and began shooting as they started the engine, aiming for the new driver first.

And unless you say it will greatly help the flow of the story, I won't approach whatever device they intentionnaly left on the ground, as the proverbial shoebox in a dungeon room.

Ahh, but they don't leave it and drive off. Here's how the next few moments will play out, let me know when during this sequence of events you would most likely fire.

Thug 1 stands guard, while Thug 2 places device on the ground. It emits a low hum for several seconds. Thug 2 then retrieves it, they get in the car and drive off.

Still waiting for them to get in the car before shooting?

Edit: On a sidenote, so far, this game demonstrates perfectly all the reasons I should know better than to plan too much.

Corw1n
2011-10-18, 12:34 PM
Arrghh Sorry for not posting! I meant to get on and let everyone know why I was absent(online)

My wife and I were in and out of hospitals all weekend and yesterday to get the ball rolling on finding her a donor for a bone marrow transplant. Will post in the next few minutes.

Mordaenor
2011-10-18, 12:39 PM
Arrghh Sorry for not posting! I meant to get on and let everyone know why I was absent(online)

My wife and I were in and out of hospitals all weekend and yesterday to get the ball rolling on finding her a donor for a bone marrow transplant. Will post in the next few minutes.

Aaaand that sucks. Sorry to hear that Corw1n, hope everything is okay.

infoweasel
2011-10-18, 12:59 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that, Corw1n. I'll be praying for you and your wife. :smallsmile:

Corw1n
2011-10-18, 01:08 PM
Aaaand that sucks. Sorry to hear that Corw1n, hope everything is okay.


Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that, Corw1n. I'll be praying for you and your wife. :smallsmile:

Thank you both for your thoughts, they are very much appreciated. Hopefully after the next stay in the hospital, which is to give her a very large dose of antibiotics to boost her immune system, the next time we have to go will be the actual transplant. But that will take awhile to find a donor so we dont have to go back anytime soon(this is good and bad :smallsmile: )

Mordaenor
2011-10-18, 01:18 PM
Corw1n, are you actually pursuing the Vagabond to talk to him? Because I mentioned he ran as soon as Thingosaurus Rex showed up.

Corw1n
2011-10-18, 01:22 PM
O nevermind then, not sure how I missed that. Did the thugs grab their buddy who was knocked into a tree?

Mordaenor
2011-10-18, 01:30 PM
No, he's still lying on the ground.

Corw1n
2011-10-18, 02:22 PM
Ok i am going to edit my post to see if the thug is ok.

Pyrite
2011-10-18, 04:36 PM
Wish the best of luck to both of you, sorry I stole a bit of your glory there.

Fovar
2011-10-18, 07:55 PM
@InfoWeasel: Welcome back! We were worried about you! Can't wait to see you in action!

@Corw1n: Welcome back! We were worried about you! And were we aware of the reason you were gone, we would have prayed for her. At the very least she seems to have a wonderful husband.

@Mordaenor: Welcome back! We were... wait a minute. Seriously I have absolutely no idea what that device is, so I'll play "better safe than sorry". I chicken out. I won't shoot.

@Pyrite: Welcome back! Just making a running gag :smallwink:

EDIT: Again, for the sake of the story, I know forming a team with 4 strangers is very difficult, I'll tolerate a fair bit of railroading. otherwise I'll play extremely paranoid: Keep in mind that if I am discovered, my mother and three sisters are in grave danger.

Mordaenor
2011-10-18, 09:33 PM
BTW, the building isn't a bank. It's a residential building.

Fovar
2011-10-18, 09:54 PM
BTW, the building isn't a bank. It's a residential building.

Thought that much. And it wasn't money, but a plot hook. Part of the reason I didn't shoot.

Pyrite
2011-10-19, 12:34 AM
Since this hasn't come up before, for future reference can I get an idea of how big a crash or explosion it takes to blind me like that? Measured in pounds or tons of TNT would be good.

Also, is Dr. Sauren's house close enough that the explosion could have threatened it?

Fovar
2011-10-19, 07:21 AM
Sure, it is in the very center of the blast. :smallbiggrin:

Mordaenor
2011-10-19, 07:34 AM
Since this hasn't come up before, for future reference can I get an idea of how big a crash or explosion it takes to blind me like that? Measured in pounds or tons of TNT would be good.

Also, is Dr. Sauren's house close enough that the explosion could have threatened it?

No, you can't get an idea, without doing some testing. You weren't aware an explosion could do that.

Also, you can't be sure exactly where the blast originated from, since it knocked out your tremorsense to quickly, but judging by your other senses(sight, hearing) yeah, it probably originated pretty close to Dr. S's residence.

Mordaenor
2011-10-19, 09:24 AM
Just to give everyone a clearer visual: The building is not a "House". More like an apartment building about 4 or 5 stories tall.

infoweasel
2011-10-19, 12:49 PM
Perception roll for Sho:

[roll0]

Corw1n
2011-10-19, 12:57 PM
Perception roll to see if I can spot anybody in a window:
[rol]1d20+5[/roll]

Corw1n
2011-10-19, 12:59 PM
Let's try this again:

Perception roll to see if I can spot anybody in a window:
[roll0]

Pyrite
2011-10-19, 03:32 PM
Alright, I didn't think I'd get to use this crazy skill so early in the game, but here goes. Architecture skill roll to determine if the upper floors will carry Enkida's weight, or if he would make them collapse.
[roll0]

Corw1n
2011-10-19, 04:17 PM
Is there another building close enough for me to wall bounce up to the paralyzed with fear people?

Mordaenor
2011-10-19, 04:29 PM
Is there another building close enough for me to wall bounce up to the paralyzed with fear people?

Yeah, the buildings are packed pretty tightly together, certainly close enough to use Wall Bounce

Roll Dex if you want to try it.

Pyrite
2011-10-19, 06:49 PM
Does this building have a basement?

Corw1n
2011-10-19, 08:06 PM
Yeah, the buildings are packed pretty tightly together, certainly close enough to use Wall Bounce

Roll Dex if you want to try it.

Dex roll to bounce up the wall to the scared civilians:
[roll0]

*Edit: Goodness! Apparently my martial art is based in ninjutsu!

Fovar
2011-10-19, 09:53 PM
If a roll is really necessary for getting someone out, I will roll.

Otherwise I think this is a part for the narative. We meet at a time of crisis, bond over what seems to be a common ennemy. While my crazy Initiative bonus would make me leave way faster than the speed of talk, I chose for James to freeze a second and allow for a bit of conversation.

I will be much friendlier (although still shocked) when the Lizard-Like Devil, from the newspapers, proves he is able of speech.

Mordaenor
2011-10-19, 10:04 PM
Does this building have a basement?

It would be a fairly reasonable assumption that a four story building has a basement, but you can't know for sure just by looking at it.

Pyrite
2011-10-19, 10:23 PM
I could have climbed up the wall, but that also might have destabilized the building, as Enkida wall crawls Wolverine style.

Do I know what floor Dr Sauren and Julia live on? It would make sense for the 'thumper' to be in a spot in the basement, to send the vibrations more directly into the earth.

Corw1n
2011-10-20, 10:24 AM
So is that remark about it being really dangerous to go back up a way of saying don't go back up?

Mordaenor
2011-10-20, 10:28 AM
So is that remark about it being really dangerous to go back up a way of saying don't go back up?

I don't play those games. The remark is simply what your character observed. You choose to go back up or not.

Corw1n
2011-10-20, 10:36 AM
I don't play those games. The remark is simply what your character observed. You choose to go back up or not.

THANK YOU. I get so tired of mind games :smallbiggrin:

Mordaenor
2011-10-20, 10:55 AM
20. A good roll. But not quite good enough to make it up unscathed. You make it, but a section of wall collapses as you go. Take [roll0] damage, and make a Will check to not turn into Fury Incarnate.

Corw1n
2011-10-20, 12:02 PM
Oh dang, well here we goPlease don't go crazy on these poor people

Will Save vs Fury Incarnate(I like that title :smallbiggrin: )
[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-20, 02:51 PM
Oh dang, well here we goPlease don't go crazy on these poor people

Will Save vs Fury Incarnate(I like that title :smallbiggrin: )
[roll0]

Just made it. I'm not sure if we established it before, but I'm following a guideline of 14 + Damage taken for the Will DC to avoid turning turining into Fury Incarnate. However, I intend to have the DC scale up with your level, (I haven't decided the scale yet). While it will become easier to resist the change over time, it should always be a clear threat.

Corw1n
2011-10-20, 02:55 PM
Sounds good, and whew! :smallsmile:

Fovar
2011-10-20, 03:53 PM
Ahem, then, for a second rescue:


Dex Roll [roll0] to avoid being burned.

Acrobatic Roll [roll2] because there might be someone in a very bad position, like behind a part that collapsed.

Reflex Save [roll3] because another part may collapse.

Burglary Roll [roll4] in case there is a child behind a locked door...


Come on Roller!

EDIT: When I attempted to correct the post, I partly erased [roll1] for a whoppin score of 7 (already modified) on an eventual constitution check.

EDIT 2: Heh, seems you can summon it back from the dead!
EDIT 3: This is a test: [roll1][roll0][roll2][roll3][roll4]

Pyrite
2011-10-20, 04:30 PM
Is tremorsense still blinded? If not, can I get an idea of any movement still in the building?

Pyrite
2011-10-20, 05:32 PM
Also is there a chimney or other freestanding structure that will bear my weight but not have an effect on the stability of the building if I start climbing it? Or a non load-bearing wall?

Another Architecture roll!
[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-20, 07:09 PM
@Fovar: That Con check should actually be Fortitude, which bumps the roll to 11. No damage yet, although you'll be at a -1 penalty to Con/Str/Dex actions due to choking on.

@Pyrite: Your tremorsense is slowly returning. You can make a Perception check to detect movement, but you're operating at -8 on the check. To give you an idea of what it was like, imagine someone shining a REALLY bright flashlight in directly into your eyes, after you've been in nearly complete darkness. Also, if you are still in the basement during this action, make a Fort check with a +4 bonus. The Heat doesn't bother you due to your Adaptation, but the Smoke does. You don't see a wall that says to you "non-load bearing"

Pyrite
2011-10-20, 07:14 PM
@Pyrite: Your tremorsense is slowly returning. You can make a Perception check to detect movement, but you're operating at -8 on the check. To give you an idea of what it was like, imagine someone shining a REALLY bright flashlight in directly into your eyes, after you've been in nearly complete darkness. Also, if you are still in the basement during this action, make a Fort check with a +4 bonus. The Heat doesn't bother you due to your Adaptation, but the Smoke does. You don't see a wall that says to you "non-load bearing"

Tremorsense perception check: [roll0]

Fort Save: [roll1]

Edit: Wow I cannot roll for **** on anything that will help me save people.

Fovar
2011-10-20, 09:08 PM
@Fovar: That Con check should actually be Fortitude, which bumps the roll to 11. No damage yet, although you'll be at a -1 penalty to Con/Str/Dex actions due to choking on.


I stilled rolled a natural 1 on my burglary attempt!
MWAHAHAHA... wait.

Editing/posting.

Mordaenor
2011-10-21, 07:45 AM
@infow: Roll Power Usage to detect the Amulet

Fovar
2011-10-21, 09:50 AM
Here's those two Sports Checks for running home and bicycling back.
[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Fitting, as fatigue seems to kick in. The whole thing (even at my amazing run speed) should still take a few rounds. However, I don't believe the action here was clearly cut into rounds anyways :smallwink:.

Mordaenor
2011-10-21, 09:56 AM
EDIT: Fitting, as fatigue seems to kick in. The whole thing (even at my amazing run speed) should still take a few rounds. However, I don't believe the action here was clearly cut into rounds anyways :smallwink:.

Not precisely, but I am clocking how long certain actions take. Suffice to say you're out of the action for the moment, as you don't exactly live next door.

infoweasel
2011-10-21, 10:11 AM
Power Usage check:
[roll0]

Corw1n
2011-10-21, 10:23 AM
Are we assuming I made it out of the wall or should I roll an "Oh Crap!" save?

Mordaenor
2011-10-21, 10:53 AM
@Corw1n: You aren't stuck, but roll Reflex to avoid falling debris.

Corw1n
2011-10-21, 11:01 AM
Reflex save: [roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-21, 03:40 PM
@Corw1n: Good enough, you'll be fine.
@Pyrite: Take [roll0] Damage. And THAT'S what Rank 8 Armor is worth.

Corw1n
2011-10-21, 03:45 PM
@Corw1n: Good enough, you'll be fine.
@Pyrite: Take [roll0] Damage. And THAT'S what Rank 8 Armor is worth.

:smalleek:
....
Holy freaking crap.
Thats a lot of DR...

Pyrite
2011-10-21, 04:38 PM
:smalleek:
....
Holy freaking crap.
Thats a lot of DR...

Enkida is harder to hurt than a modern Abrams tank, by the stats in the book. He was pretty sure he'd survive the building falling on him.

Did he see anyone before it fell?

Fovar
2011-10-21, 05:06 PM
:smalleek:
....
Holy freaking crap.
Thats a lot of DR...

And that is why I feared having a character with less than 20 hp. Now when a villain will be able to harm Endika (because on top of 40 DR, there is also a ton of hit points), it'll be able to intantly kill some of us.

Had something similar in another system of super heroes. We played villains (not that it was relevant), and Mazda, a mutant whose survived a car crash by awakening to his powers by regenerating around it and manipulating the metal, was much harder to wound than the rest of the cast.

Result: Every foe we crossed had a huge amount of armor-piercing attacks. And that system didn't account for partial armor penetration, thus rendering part of his character completely useless for most of the game.

Endika will be a very efficient Powerhouse. I just hope we'll be just as efficient in our roles.

Fovar
2011-10-21, 05:12 PM
For those curious, I played a lich whose phylactery has been placed in an history museum. I resurected as a skeleton there.

My theme was culture shock with a huge flavor of Arcane Magic.

I carried Rune-Powered Spheres with an Imprisonment spell which I used to capture scientists and whatnots. Called 'em Pokéballs.

I also was shown an image of The Hulk so I could do an illusion of his to serve as a distraction. It attacked, yelling: "Ye should be fleeing the battlefield, lest ye destiny lies in the fiery pit of Hell!"

We also fought Captain America on African soil. He beated us only because we were rolling on the floor laughing after one of us called him Captain Africa.

Good Times.

Pyrite
2011-10-21, 06:17 PM
And that is why I feared having a character with less than 20 hp. Now when a villain will be able to harm Endika (because on top of 40 DR, there is also a ton of hit points), it'll be able to intantly kill some of us.
...
Endika will be a very efficient Powerhouse. I just hope we'll be just as efficient in our roles.

I really don't want to overshadow anyone. I've built a lot of limitations into Enkida that will keep me from being able to do much in a lot of situations, and his only viable ranged attack is to pick something up and throw it. I really hope his nigh-indestructible nature won't be a problem for the campaign.

Fovar
2011-10-21, 10:59 PM
I really don't want to overshadow anyone. I've built a lot of limitations into Enkida that will keep me from being able to do much in a lot of situations, and his only viable ranged attack is to pick something up and throw it. I really hope his nigh-indestructible nature won't be a problem for the campaign.

Really, I see it as a challenge. We have to step up our games. Overshadowing is not a character's but really a player's problem.

Besides, as far as we've gone, we've all had our uses. Many of our defects / perks / weaknesses have been used. I remain confident.

I guess I am just paranoid.

infoweasel
2011-10-23, 03:56 PM
What would be the appropriate power to represent magically lessening or hopefully putting out the remaining flames? Nullify? Assuming it's still on fire, not sure if the fireman have already gotten it and/or the collapse put out the fire from the displacement of oxygen...

Mordaenor
2011-10-24, 08:35 AM
What would be the appropriate power to represent magically lessening or hopefully putting out the remaining flames? Nullify? Assuming it's still on fire, not sure if the fireman have already gotten it and/or the collapse put out the fire from the displacement of oxygen...

Yeah, Nullify would be as appropiate as anything. The flames are already starting to diminish between the collapse, the rain (which is starting to disipate), and the fire brigade. Adding a Rank 4 "Nullify Flame" spell should put it out for good.

Edit: Of course, that would require you to drop one of your other spells.

infoweasel
2011-10-24, 01:02 PM
Occult to know about Enkida's species/etc:

[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-24, 01:15 PM
Occult to know about Enkida's species/etc:

[roll0]

Nothing definitive. You know you've come across stories of vicious, man-eating lizardfolk, but nothing verifiable. Certainly such creatures have not been seen in thousands of years.

Mordaenor
2011-10-25, 11:26 AM
Infow: Make a Intelligence to determine how authentic your disguise looks.

Corw1n: Make a Will Save to see through Sho's ruse, DC = Sho's Int Check.

infoweasel
2011-10-25, 11:33 AM
Intelligence Check:

[roll0]

infoweasel
2011-10-25, 11:36 AM
Well, crap. Natural one. Still, that's an 11...

Mordaenor
2011-10-25, 11:42 AM
Well, crap. Natural one. Still, that's an 11...

Apparently, "Vast knowledge of the Universe" does not include local police fashion. :smallbiggrin:

Mordaenor
2011-10-25, 12:10 PM
A word about Fortitude and Will saves in my games. I always consider these to be unconcious reactions, that take place without the character's knowledge. I mention this because if I ask for one, do NOT assume your character know he's made the check, unless I write something to that effect. Thus if (for example), Sho casts a spell to poison Enkida, and Enkida makes a successful Fortitude save, Enkida does not necessarily know someone tried to poison him, unless I say he felt something. So please don't have your character react if I call for a Save, unless I say something about it IC. Thank you. Obviously, Reflex saves are a different case.

Corw1n
2011-10-25, 03:15 PM
eek, sorry I will update the post I just made if I don't make the save:

[roll0]

*Edit: and I believe lol

Pyrite
2011-10-25, 04:13 PM
Perception check to find anyone else in there:

[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-26, 07:59 AM
Infow: Your spells have a Verbal component. (Restriction: Must be able to speak.) You can't cast a Mind Reading spell without it being fairly obvious that you are doing something. It also means that Corw1n has a chance to react.

Edit: In fact, Zhang and Sho should boht make Initiative checks.

Fovar
2011-10-26, 08:58 AM
"Zhang Sanfeng, you are in possession of something that does not belong you to you. The power of the amulet is beyond even the understanding your Master had of it. But first I must know, is that -" he gestures to the collapsed building - "-your doing? Did the beast gain control of you?"

:smallamused:All your mysterious artefacts are belongs to us!:smallamused:
Conflict makes for good stories... I wonder how such an introduction will turn out (especially since our DM called for an initiative roll.:smallbiggrin:)

What may not (or may) help is my character's extremely paranoid behavior. I might not appear as a fellow PC for a while. My intent however is to race back and tell the autorities, and maybe that «friggin', talkin' lizard», that the source of the event is a bomb and there might be two persons M.I.A. that are not in the rubbles.

I'll try and remain curious about the lizard. Offering help might be all that's required for me to be part of the group. However, I might remain paranoid and leave the Clockwork Arsenal at home.

Can't wait for our common ennemy to reveal itself.

Mordaenor
2011-10-26, 09:02 AM
:smallamused:All your mysterious artefacts are belongs to us!:smallamused:
Conflict makes for good stories... I wonder how such an introduction will turn out (especially since our DM called for an initiative roll.:smallbiggrin:)

What may not (or may) help is my character's extremely paranoid behavior. I might not appear as a fellow PC for a while. My intent however is to race back and tell the autorities, and maybe that «friggin', talkin' lizard», that the source of the event is a bomb and there might be two persons M.I.A. that are not in the rubbles.

I'll try and remain curious about the lizard. Offering help might be all that's required for me to be part of the group. However, I might remain paranoid and leave the Clockwork Arsenal at home.

Can't wait for our common ennemy to reveal itself.

Actually, Fovar, your decision to high-tail it out of there has given me an opportunity to give you more of a reason to team up, I'll be posting that later today. In the meantime, make a Will check. :smallbiggrin:

Corw1n
2011-10-26, 09:07 AM
So are we still rolling initiative?

Intitiative: [roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-26, 09:22 AM
If Sho wins Initiative, he casts the Mind Reading spell. If Zhang wins, he's aware that Sho is muttering some strange words, and probably has just enough presence of mind to recognize a spell of some sort and react first.

infoweasel
2011-10-26, 10:30 AM
Ah, right you are, thanks for reminding me! The chant would actually be in Mandarin also, something along the lines of 'O great soul that binds the universe, open this child's mind to me.

Also, while Zhang does have Mind Shield 1, unfortunately he gets no saving throw as the 'victim' must posses Mind Shield or Telepathy at ranks equal to the 'attacker.' Zhang would not be mentally aware of the telepathic connection, although I imagine the prayer/chant probably gives something away.

Initiative:
[roll0]

infoweasel
2011-10-26, 10:39 AM
Occult roll regarding amulet:
[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-26, 11:19 AM
Ah, right you are, thanks for reminding me! The chant would actually be in Mandarin also, something along the lines of 'O great soul that binds the universe, open this child's mind to me.

Also, while Zhang does have Mind Shield 1, unfortunately he gets no saving throw as the 'victim' must posses Mind Shield or Telepathy at ranks equal to the 'attacker.' Zhang would not be mentally aware of the telepathic connection, although I imagine the prayer/chant probably gives something away.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Yeah, it says in a few places that "Higher Rank automatically wins" but I don't like that ruling. I think weaker should always have a chance to beat stronger. That's how heroes are made. So, Mind Shield grants +1 to Zhang's Will Check, but Sho also gets to add Rank to his his Power Use check. Incidentally, that goes for any Power Check, it makes sense to me that a Rank 10 is better at something than a Rank 1, even if they have the same Ability score and Power Use rank. Zhang aslo has Block Power, at Rank 3, which imposes a -3 on Sho's Power check. The base DC to overcome Block Power is 15 I believe, based on Zhang's WIS score, but since his Will Check was higher, that doesn't matter (Sho has to beat one or the other, no need to roll against both.)

infoweasel
2011-10-26, 11:25 AM
Rolling Power Usage w/ -3 penalty:

[roll0]

Fovar
2011-10-26, 11:37 AM
Actually, Fovar, your decision to high-tail it out of there has given me an opportunity to give you more of a reason to team up, I'll be posting that later today. In the meantime, make a Will check. :smallbiggrin:

Heh, I am almost immune to everything you can dish out!

Totally unforeseen Will Save: [roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-26, 11:38 AM
Occult roll regarding amulet:
[roll0]

It is an Amulet that was once carried by a great warrior, who helped to seal the Twelve Generals of Hell, a group of powerful Demons who once broke through the boundaries of our dimension and sought to destroy the Earth some 3000 years ago. The Amulet itself is the door to a Pocket Dimension, where the Generals are now caged, hopefully for all time. The warrior left in in the safe keeping of the Wudang Monks, and it has been in their custody ever since. Many cults over the centuries have tried to gain control of it, but none have come close to succeeding. It is also believed that only a chosen few can even touch it without being utterly destroyed by its evil, but that may be a rumor made up by the Monks to ward off thieves, there is no recorded evidence of that.

Pyrite
2011-10-26, 01:54 PM
I've been thinking Enkida should take a level of skulker, what with all the sneaking around he seems to do.

Pyrite
2011-10-26, 02:36 PM
And speaking of which, in case I need it, a stealth roll:

[roll0]

Fovar
2011-10-26, 07:57 PM
I love how you took Higgins and made him an important NPC. The fact you asked for a Will Save suggest that:

A- He has some powers. If he does, will he remain an observer? A criminal background might help tip the balance either way, that depends on his motives. While I'm at it, is he human?

B- He is a super-awesome human being. He indeed learned that stuff the extraordinary (but still mundane) way. Then that Will Save might just have been how I kept my composure. He reads me like a book, still in a mundane and extraordinary way. The TV Show Heroes had one of those, Noah Bennett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=WAt2L3H8ieQ

Mordaenor
2011-10-26, 09:00 PM
I love how you took Higgins and made him an important NPC. The fact you asked for a Will Save suggest that:

A- He has some powers. If he does, will he remain an observer? A criminal background might help tip the balance either way, that depends on his motives. While I'm at it, is he human?

B- He is a super-awesome human being. He indeed learned that stuff the extraordinary (but still mundane) way. Then that Will Save might just have been how I kept my composure. He reads me like a book, still in a mundane and extraordinary way. The TV Show Heroes had one of those, Noah Bennett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=WAt2L3H8ieQ

Yeah, in case I didn't mention it, I reserve the right to take any NPC created as part of any background and make them "more than what they seemed at first" :smallwink:

Fovar
2011-10-27, 07:22 AM
Yeah, in case I didn't mention it, I reserve the right to take any NPC created as part of any background and make them "more than what they seemed at first" :smallwink:

I expect nothing less. That's a trick I do all the time as a DM. It allows to make things a bit more «personnal».

Mordaenor
2011-10-27, 01:18 PM
Fovar: Clockwork Bike, I'm picturing something that would fold-up and strap to your back, like a backpack. Is that what you had in in mind?

Fovar
2011-10-27, 08:36 PM
Fovar: Clockwork Bike, I'm picturing something that would fold-up and strap to your back, like a backpack. Is that what you had in in mind?

Fovar's bluff check [roll0]. I attempt to make believe the DM's good idea was mine all along, implied in fact.

"... yes. Exactly."

EDIT: Mmmmh pretty badass roll. What a waste.

Mordaenor
2011-10-27, 08:43 PM
Fovar's bluff check [roll0]. I attempt to make believe the DM's good idea was mine all along, implied in fact.

"... yes. Exactly."

EDIT: Mmmmh pretty badass roll. What a waste.

At some point I remember it being listed as "Folding Bike" Maybe that idea got dropped along the way, but I'm reviving it now. :-D

Pyrite
2011-10-28, 12:12 AM
So, the Shade is looking for Enkida. Did he hear the wailing?

Should we do a stealth Vs Perception opposed roll? I'll go ahead and preroll a stealth roll if we should: [roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-10-28, 07:59 AM
So, the Shade is looking for Enkida. Did he hear the wailing?

Should we do a stealth Vs Perception opposed roll? I'll go ahead and preroll a stealth roll if we should: [roll0]

Yeah, I was thinking about that wail. I don't think "wailing" is something one does when one is trying to use stealth, so disregard that roll. But I do think a Listen check from James, Zhang, and Sho is in order. DC: 14. I'm going to operate under the assumption that Enkida's wail is emitted at a certain pitch/quality that it could be mistaken for another, more commmon city noise, like a loud gust of wind through the city streets, or at least be covered up by it, so it does not IMMEDIATELY attract the attention of every bystander within a half mile.

Corw1n
2011-10-28, 09:19 AM
Listen would be a wisdom check right? Curse my focus on combat skills :smalltongue:

Listen Check:
[roll0]

Fovar
2011-10-28, 12:14 PM
Listen check:

[roll0]

Posted my reaction. Not 100% what I feel James would have done, but rather what he should do.

infoweasel
2011-10-28, 01:28 PM
Listen check for Sho:

[roll0]

infoweasel
2011-10-28, 01:49 PM
With that check, is that good enough to figure out the direction that wailing came from?

Pyrite
2011-10-28, 02:22 PM
Well, I may as well not let that stealth roll go to waste.

Mordaenor
2011-10-28, 04:09 PM
Fovar & Pyrite: I hate doing this, but I really need to intervene here.

1) Fovar's post: James shouting from the rooftops (or shouting in general) is a very good way to draw unwanted attention. Remember, there are Police in the area trying to determine the cause of the explosion. Is this really a course of action you want to take?

2) Pyrite: James heard Enkida wail, and is shouting back from the roof-tops, hoping you'll hear him. He's not standing right in front of you, or close to you, unless you are also on the roof-tops, which I don't see any record that that's where you are hiding.

Fovar
2011-10-28, 04:51 PM
Fovar & Pyrite: I hate doing this, but I really need to intervene here.

1) Fovar's post: James shouting from the rooftops (or shouting in general) is a very good way to draw unwanted attention. Remember, there are Police in the area trying to determine the cause of the explosion. Is this really a course of action you want to take?

2) Pyrite: James heard Enkida wail, and is shouting back from the roof-tops, hoping you'll hear him. He's not standing right in front of you, or close to you, unless you are also on the roof-tops, which I don't see any record that that's where you are hiding.

1) Yes it is what I want to do. An explosion and a friggin' huge lizard rushing in to save people is enough of a story. Besides, that speech with Higgins gave me some balls. Should the police interrupt us, I'll use my Flare Shot and close up in a more discreet manner.

Although The Shade has done criminal activities, I doubt it will be recognized on sight. On the other hand, being on a rooftop might be a dead giveaway.

And having the police try and capture me, it would reinforce the idea that I need to hide said identity.

2) Consider I have climbed down, for the sake of fluidity. As my intent was clearly to communicate with him, That's what I would have done anyway.

Or maybe Sobek decided to climb up. (Heh I have until he chooses to answer to call him Sobek, might as well take advantage of it. Sobek Sobek Sobek!)

Mordaenor
2011-10-28, 06:50 PM
1) Yes it is what I want to do. An explosion and a friggin' huge lizard rushing in to save people is enough of a story. Besides, that speech with Higgins gave me some balls. Should the police interrupt us, I'll use my Flare Shot and close up in a more discreet manner.

Although The Shade has done criminal activities, I doubt it will be recognized on sight. On the other hand, being on a rooftop might be a dead giveaway.

And having the police try and capture me, it would reinforce the idea that I need to hide said identity.

Okey dokey. Just want to make sure we are making a completely informed decision, having been part of too many groups which used the phrase, "My character wouldn't have done that if this had been clear to me."

Fovar
2011-10-28, 09:59 PM
Okey dokey. Just want to make sure we are making a completely informed decision, having been part of too many groups which used the phrase, "My character wouldn't have done that if this had been clear to me."

I appreciate the thought. In my case, I will live with the consequences of my acts. I mean, how dull would it be to speak ill of someone if there wasn't a chance for him to be coming by behind at that exact same moment?

I may, however, ask once in a while to describe the scene in details.
-Area
-Threats
-Actors
-Places/Items/Details of strategic importance (while supplying a spot check)

Although my action was maybe not as stealthy as it should have been, this whole scene was more like:
"I am your new ally and I offer you as a tribute this plot hook."
The sort of thing (Elan would have concurred) that had to take place even if it was not the brightest thing to do...

Another detail: I trust your judgement, Mord. I allow you to take minor actions in my stead to make the story more fluid. Like in this case, going back on street level to meet with Enkida. This could include looking something, picking up something, moving to someone, handing an object lying around to someone... things that could be implied and have no real effects on the outcome.

Finally, again for the sake of fluidity, should you roll in private for things we are not supposed to be aware of? Like those secret Will/Fort saves, "free" perception checks or the like.

Asking for a roll, waiting for us to roll it, then describing the results of the roll should be for things we conciously decide to do, isn't it? I mean, if you want us to be aware when a Will Save or Perception Check is rolled, instead of asking for it, roll it.

The same goes with initiative. By rolling it ahead of time, you can describe what happens that makes some people act before others.

That is my opinion.

Pyrite
2011-10-29, 12:55 AM
Wow... I should have looked at this earlier I guess. Ah well, if Fovar's not interested in trying to take back his actions then Enkida's response wouldn't change. And getting to the rooftops wouldn't exactly be impossible for him if that was the case, but I'd been operating under the idea that The Shade was in a nearby alley or something.

Also, I built my character with so many hitpoints and so much armor because I don't always intend for him to do the careful or smart thing. It would be very like him to blunder into a situation he doesn't understand.

Fovar
2011-10-29, 08:36 AM
Also, I built my character with so many hitpoints and so much armor because I don't always intend for him to do the careful or smart thing. It would be very like him to blunder into a situation he doesn't understand.

And that makes for awesome roleplaying in my humble opinion :smallbiggrin:

Fovar
2011-10-29, 10:02 AM
By the way, I edited my signature for everyone's convenience. I also salvaged the Background I've written in the recruitment thread and placed it in a Word Document in my signature.

You may want to do the same with important information there. Myself, I had difficulty to remember Kathe's name.

You know, for the fact she doesn't exist.

But she'll allways live in my Haart, man. :smalltongue:

Mordaenor
2011-10-29, 05:14 PM
Pyrite, roll Perception.

Pyrite
2011-10-29, 11:20 PM
Pyrite, roll Perception.

Perception: [roll0]
Tremorsense: [roll1]

Pyrite
2011-10-31, 06:43 AM
Um... It occurs to me that it's a bit odd to expect Enkida to hear a whispered message without the police hearing it, especially if you don't know where he is. (also, do they really not know where he is? I rolled terribly)

Well, whether I heard it or not won't really change my action.

Corw1n
2011-10-31, 08:58 AM
Eh, Zhang mostly said it on the off chance Enkida would be able to hear it. He really wasn't expecting any kind of response(except a nonvioloent one :smallwink: ) so Enkida not hearing it would be an acceptable risk. Zhang would have assumed the Zen sense would have brought him to Enkida, but as he was not readily apparent anywhere, then he must be hiding. Also, I thought the cops were walking towards us, not right next to us already when I whispered both statements.

Mordaenor
2011-10-31, 09:44 AM
Yeah, Enkida has his head buried in the sand. Definitely did NOT hear that message.

Fovar
2011-10-31, 10:51 PM
Charisma Roll: [roll0]

You do know my character can surpass easily your little attempts to perfectly logically foil my plan in a humane and realistic way?

(and that every time I bragged I rolled poorly)

Fovar
2011-10-31, 11:31 PM
12 is not that bad. A poor roll might have lead me to say:

"Well, not unless you learn how to handle a gun, sweet-pie!"

or

"Would you risk being kidnapped and our house blown off by explosives? Now you play along."

or

"WHY ARE YOU SO BITCHY? CAN'T YOU SEE I TRY TO SAVE YOUR LIFE? SHUT UP!"

or

"Let me show you what happened tonight farther down the street." I take two sock and put it on my hands to emulate puppets, then put a bucket of calcium hypochlorate in the background, as the house. "You come with us!" "NO!"

Then I hit one puppet with the other. it clearly falls uncouncious. The other puppet drags it around. "Now I must get rid of any evidence and/or witnesses." And with the "councious" puppet, I throw milk in the chlorine, causing an explosion. An explosion that could ironically start a fire.

or maybe not.

Mordaenor
2011-11-01, 07:58 AM
Wow. Apparently the board filters consider 'china.man' (without the period) to be vulgar language. wtf.[/I]

Actually, that doesn't surprise me, I believe many Chinese consider that a derogatory and insulting term.

In other news: Roll to Bluff the Policeman.

infoweasel
2011-11-01, 09:54 AM
I know, but this is early 20th century America we're talking about. Just keeping things in characters for 'Officer Croft.' What would the check for Bluff be? I don't see anything really like that under the Skills section.

Come to think of it, the Skills section of SaS is very strangely laid out. There's a lot of weird skills you don't see in any other games (Powerlifting, Domestic Sciences, Boating...) and then important skills like Bluff are just...missing. :smalltongue:

Fovar
2011-11-01, 10:49 AM
I know, but this is early 20th century America we're talking about. Just keeping things in characters for 'Officer Croft.' What would the check for Bluff be? I don't see anything really like that under the Skills section.

Come to think of it, the Skills section of SaS is very strangely laid out. There's a lot of weird skills you don't see in any other games (Powerlifting, Domestic Sciences, Boating...) and then important skills like Bluff are just...missing. :smalltongue:

Bluffing isn't an acrobatic use of the language and the truth?

If so it should TOTALLY be the Acrobatic skill.

That said, I would consider they didn't want Roleplaying to be a skill, or rather they don't want a skill level to get in the way of good roleplaying.

There is no diplomacy rule to move the target one more step toward friendly either. No appraise either.

What confuses me are the "Etiquette" "Writting" and "Intimidation" skills. Like they thought we would do a Peter Parker Rip-Off but wouldn't try to fast talk out of situations.

Mordaenor
2011-11-01, 12:44 PM
That said, I would consider they didn't want Roleplaying to be a skill, or rather they don't want a skill level to get in the way of good roleplaying.

There is no diplomacy rule to move the target one more step toward friendly either. No appraise either.

What confuses me are the "Etiquette" "Writting" and "Intimidation" skills. Like they thought we would do a Peter Parker Rip-Off but wouldn't try to fast talk out of situations.

I've often gone back and forth on the whole "Don't let die rolls get in the way of good RP-ing" myself, but my reasoning for ultimately going with Die Rolls is this. I may want to play a character who is suave, witty, and charismatic, but I (as a player) may in fact be none of those things. If the system doesn't require me personally to know how to parry a sword, build a bridge, or jump from a collapsing building safely, it should also not "require" I know the right thing to say/do to convince the Policeman that I'm not an escaped convict.

Also, as I mentioned before, SAS originally used an entirely different Mechanic, and I think some of the decisions for the d20 system might be a hold over from that. (I'm guessing, I've never actually seen the Tri-Stat rule book.)

That said, if you want a skill that is not listed, feel free to let me know (at level up, I'd rather not make char. sheet changes at this point, unlesss you feel REALLY strongly about it). The only skill not permitted is Listen/Spot, because those skills are covered by Attributes already.

So: infow, roll Charisma.

infoweasel
2011-11-01, 01:48 PM
Be nice, dice rolling program...

[roll0]

infoweasel
2011-11-01, 01:57 PM
...or not. :smalleek:

Pyrite
2011-11-01, 02:42 PM
So did I recognize Zhang from his 'vibration signature' earlier? Are they within line of sight of Enkida's hiding place, or behind buildings?

Mordaenor
2011-11-01, 08:21 PM
So did I recognize Zhang from his 'vibration signature' earlier? Are they within line of sight of Enkida's hiding place, or behind buildings?

Tunneling Rank 6. Enkida made his own hiding place. No line of sight, but Tremorsense is more reliable anyway, and works in all directions. That's how he ID'd Zhang.

Edit: In other news: I found the Bluff skill. It's listed as specialization of Performance Art:Fast Talking. Interesting.

Pyrite
2011-11-02, 04:14 AM
Enkida's going to keep hiding unless he notices them start fighting or something. I was asking about buildings between him and the cops to know if they'll instantly notice him if he pops out of the ground.

Mordaenor
2011-11-02, 07:47 AM
Ooooh. I see. Sure, we'll say tha Enkida had time to duck around the corner of a building before burying himself. However, digging through earth isn't something you can do quietly, they'd probably hear you if you tried to pop up where you were. On the other hand, you could probably tunnel to a different spot without being noticed.

Fovar
2011-11-02, 08:45 AM
Tunneling Rank 6. Enkida made his own hiding place. No line of sight, but Tremorsense is more reliable anyway, and works in all directions. That's how he ID'd Zhang.

Edit: In other news: I found the Bluff skill. It's listed as specialization of Performance Art:Fast Talking. Interesting.

Wait wait wait wait...

Performance Art: Fast Talking with Bluff specialization? Sounds to my like a form of hypnosis.

I want my ticket to see a show.

«The most FAMOUS fast-talker in the Region... acclamated by the thieves guild.»

«He never had to pay his dues to the guild... 5 stars.» - Trevor Blackshadow, Thieve's Guild's Master
«He got my 14 y-o daughter pregnant and convinced me it saved my life... 5 stars.» King Griffinheart
«I thought at first he was a burglar, but I understand the king of the lolipop guild had an urgent need of my robe of the archmagi. Touching performance! 4.5 stars.»
«Now, come to think of it, the chaotic evil bard of my last DnD 3.5 group was bluffing the paladin so good it actually gave us a morale bonus. 5 stars» Lidda Shadowalker, 12th level ranger

Mordaenor
2011-11-02, 09:00 AM
Wait wait wait wait...

Performance Art: Fast Talking with Bluff specialization? Sounds to my like a form of hypnosis.

I want my ticket to see a show.


Yeah, Fast Talking as a Performance Art. I can only guess at the reasoning behind that one. I think we'll go stick with my earlier ruling "If you want a skill not listed, feel free to add it." Actually, looking through the list, the vast majority of skills list Int as a base ability, or possible base, which may be a clue as to why they structured things the way they did.

infoweasel
2011-11-02, 11:02 AM
Well, then. Time to bust out the ol' Jedi Mind Trick.

Also, just some notes on the rolls that I'll be posting in a minute:

As per SaS page 61:
My roll vs them will be one roll for the group, using the group's highest modifier.
It's my Power Usage vs DC 10 + target's INT mod.
They then get a Will save (average of group) vs DC 10 + my INT mod +Power Usage Ranks (32 total).
At ranks 1 and 3, I get an additional +1 to my 'attack' roll. (+2 total)
At rank 2 and 4, they get a -1 to their save roll. ( -2 total)

Pyrite
2011-11-02, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Fast Talking as a Performance Art. I can only guess at the reasoning behind that one. I think we'll go stick with my earlier ruling "If you want a skill not listed, feel free to add it." Actually, looking through the list, the vast majority of skills list Int as a base ability, or possible base, which may be a clue as to why they structured things the way they did.

Yeah, it seems like they really wanted to stack things in favor of the high-int mastermind. Or maybe just didn't think about it much while transferring from a system where int was the only mental stat.

Mordaenor
2011-11-02, 03:02 PM
Yeah, it seems like they really wanted to stack things in favor of the high-int mastermind. Or maybe just didn't think about it much while transferring from a system where int was the only mental stat.

Mmm... I'm not so sure "Stacked in favor of" does it justice, because SAS is not a "Skill-based" system. Yes, it has Skills and they are certainly useful, but most encounters would be resolved through use of Attributes, at least that's the intention. It is afterall about Superheroes, and their Super Abilities. The one exception, is if you're playing a "Highly Skilled Normal" (like Batman) who would stays competitive by using his ingenuity, so you would expect that character to such a character to have a high Int.

Mordaenor
2011-11-03, 11:47 AM
Of curiosity: What Time Zone is everyone in and what times are you generally able to check in?

Corw1n
2011-11-03, 12:21 PM
Ugh, spent the past couple of days seeing various doctors at multiple hospitles. I will post momentarily.

I normally am online while at work, between 7:30am and 4:30pm in the American Central time zone.

Mordaenor
2011-11-03, 12:57 PM
Ugh, and again I say Ugh. Hopeing all is well for you Corw1n.

In other news: Regarding in-game time: Fovar, the process of going home, checking on family, talking to Molly, ang getting to the rendezvous point: About 25 minutes. Everyone else, the encounter with the Police: about 5 or 6 minutes. So depending on how things play out, Enkida & Co. might still arrive at the Chapel before the Shade does. We'll give them a chance to catch up before getting back to you.

Pyrite
2011-11-03, 03:27 PM
I'm in Pacific, and my schedules going to be changing pretty dramatically soon. I used to check the thread between 10 am and 1 pm, and reload it every few hours until 1-3 AM. Now I'll probably be checking at 6 am, probably again at noon-1, and then I'll keep an eye on it from 5-midnight or so.

Fovar
2011-11-03, 04:22 PM
Ugh, and again I say Ugh. Hopeing all is well for you Corw1n.

In other news: Regarding in-game time: Fovar, the process of going home, checking on family, talking to Molly, ang getting to the rendezvous point: About 25 minutes. Everyone else, the encounter with the Police: about 5 or 6 minutes. So depending on how things play out, Enkida & Co. might still arrive at the Chapel before the Shade does. We'll give them a chance to catch up before getting back to you.

Eastern time.

In game time: Well, y'know, the way it proceeds right now, I got a shorter "route" and post more frequently. I just have to, y'know, calm down.

We seldom make any progress during the weekend, and due to the extremely simple nature of my training program at school I have a lot of time to actually fool around.

(PS: I do so after my exercises while the rest of the class does so BEFORE. The fact that they don't focus on it at all when they finally comes to it makes that matter even worst, ugh.)

A solution would be to make time less realistic and more story driven. Even if it would take me more time, I use a "motorized" (somewhat) vehicule and perfectly know the city while Endika and his friends do not.

Either way, either another event interrupts (which would logically makes me late) or I take about one week and a half pause.

Pyrite
2011-11-03, 05:19 PM
Well, there is the fact that The Shade knows where he's going, and the three of us haven't been in Boston more than a day.

Though unless something else interrupts us, I don't think it'll take a week and a half to resolve our conversation and get over there, unless Sho has a lot of questions.

Mordaenor
2011-11-04, 12:03 PM
Actually, Pyrite, remember your Tremorsense has operates over 2 Miles. It would take a pretty good roll, depending on how far away he is, but you MIGHT be able to locate The Shade without knowing where King's Chapel is.

Pyrite
2011-11-04, 04:06 PM
Actually, Pyrite, remember your Tremorsense has operates over 2 Miles. It would take a pretty good roll, depending on how far away he is, but you MIGHT be able to locate The Shade without knowing where King's Chapel is.

I guess I'll give that a shot:

[roll0]

Also, I'll assume Sho stepped around the corner Enkida was still hiding behind while dropping his spell.

Fovar
2011-11-04, 04:44 PM
It would take a pretty good roll, depending on how far away he is, but you MIGHT be able to locate The Shade without knowing where King's Chapel is.

Now, I may (read: will) sound as someone who complains, but isn't tremorsense a tad too powerful?
We could litteraly cause Enkida to grid the neighborhoods until he recognizes the Professor and her daughter, with which he should be much more familiar than me anyways.

Shouldn't Tremorsense be used to track someone, like some form of radar? Shouldn't recognition be based on motion/transfer weight or something? Was it not supposed to foil hide attempts, thus disarming ambushes before they can be sprung and preventing foes from using escape plans based on visual misdirection?

With this level of precision, it shouldn't matter if the Professor and is daughter are tied up in the air, as long as somehow it connects to the floor.

I mean; 2 miles of "if you touch the ground I can instantly recognize and pinpoint you???" This is awesome! With this level of precision, you could tell someone is having a heart attack by the way you feel his heart pulse through the ground. The amount of data must be maddening.

"200 meters north, 25 meters east, 3 stories high, there's two kids jumping on a bed, one weighs about 25 kg, the other almost 30 kg. Seems like the two childs we cross in the market 3 days ago... but there's something, they're somewhat a lil tad lighter. I think they haven't finished their meals."

It's the equivalent of not only seeing 2 miles away, in every direction at the same time, with the same level of precision as 6 feets away, and being instantly aware of anything that approaches that radius that doesn't have concealment / cover (which, you have to admit, is much more likely than "not being somehow connected the ground"), but also being able to perform a visual diagnosis, have a very good idea of the sex, age, race, walking pattern, shape and being able to read its body language from that far.

In a world full of blind persons and without that blasted horizon.

On a sidenote, can't someone's tremor signature be mimicked, like some sort of bluff? (I suppose there would be a blind/deaf huge penalty if you have a lack of tremorsense, but nonetheless, it might become relevant.)

For that matter, just how hard it is for someone deaf to replicate one's voice?

And if a bluff is possible, how does Move Silently (or whatever) acts according to tremorsense?


PS: On a totally unrelated matter, my Clockwork bike, the clockwork car and unusual vehicles that have wildly varying mechanism from mundane source should emit differents "shockwaves" than mundane vehicules, tremorsense signatures could vary just like air-based sounds. This mean he could have a fairly good idea where the Chapel is (if not me precisely) with an average roll.

Mordaenor
2011-11-04, 05:30 PM
Sigh... ye of little faith.



We could litteraly cause Enkida to grid the neighborhoods until he recognizes the Professor and her daughter, with which he should be much more familiar than me anyways.

Yeah, you could try that.



With this level of precision, it shouldn't matter if the Professor and is daughter are tied up in the air, as long as somehow it connects to the floor.

I mean; 2 miles of "if you touch the ground I can instantly recognize and pinpoint you???" This is awesome! With this level of precision, you could tell someone is having a heart attack by the way you feel his heart pulse through the ground. The amount of data must be maddening.


Who said instant? I don't believe I've posted the results of Pyrite check yet.



It's the equivalent of not only seeing 2 miles away, in every direction at the same time, with the same level of precision as 6 feets away, and being instantly aware of anything that approaches that radius that doesn't have concealment / cover (which, you have to admit, is much more likely than "not being somehow connected the ground"), but also being able to perform a visual diagnosis, have a very good idea of the sex, age, race, walking pattern, shape and being able to read its body language from that far.


Are you not able to recognize people you met thirty minutes ago, Fovar? Or hear a familiar voice in a room crowded restaurant? Enkida senses are Superhuman but the effect is the same, over the Area PMV (Which is incidentally much harder the further from Enkida he is, hence the "pretty good roll" requirement.



PS: On a totally unrelated matter, my Clockwork bike, the clockwork car and unusual vehicles that have wildly varying mechanism from mundane source should emit differents "shockwaves" than mundane vehicules, tremorsense signatures could vary just like air-based sounds. This mean he could have a fairly good idea where the Chapel is (if not me precisely) with an average roll.

True, if he recognized the Bike or Car signatures. As it is, from him all it looks like is an unusual signature, but with out any reference he doesn't know what made it. The Shade wasn't riding his bike when he and Enkida met.

Ye of little faith.

Edit: Also, one could potentially use Disguise to try and fake one's tremor signature, but one would have to be familiar with how the sense works. Otherwise it is like trying to use make and costuming to look like someone else, when you're completely blind. Another Saurian might be able to do it.

Pyrite
2011-11-04, 06:16 PM
I always figured that two miles would be the extreme terminal distance, like seeing out to the horizon or hearing a gunshot from far away.

As for what sorts of things can foil it, I'd figure standing in a crowd, or near any kind of vibrating machinery, would conceal someone from Enkida. And stealth should work normally, with him maybe getting a +2 bonus if you don't know to conceal yourself from something that can detect vibrations.

And I've always roleplayed him having to stop and sort through the various signatures he gets to try to pick someone out of an area, which takes several minutes to do. He only usually keeps track of things within 50 yards or so, unless something is particularly 'loud'

If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm saurian.

Fovar
2011-11-04, 07:00 PM
But isn't tremorsense a tad too powerful?



Sigh... ye of little faith.

Are you not able to recognize people you met thirty minutes ago, Fovar? Or hear a familiar voice in a room crowded restaurant? Enkida senses are Superhuman but the effect is the same, over the Area PMV (Which is incidentally much harder the further from Enkida he is, hence the "pretty good roll" requirement.

True, if he recognized the Bike or Car signatures. As it is, from him all it looks like is an unusual signature, but with out any reference he doesn't know what made it. The Shade wasn't riding his bike when he and Enkida met.

Ye of little faith.

Edit: Also, one could potentially use Disguise to try and fake one's tremor signature, but one would have to be familiar with how the sense works. Otherwise it is like trying to use make and costuming to look like someone else, when you're completely blind. Another Saurian might be able to do it.

The SaS book clearly state that any rule in your way should be simply ignored. The DM is referee. End of discussion.

While I always offer background information or a detailed reasoning when I make an inquiry like: "Izzat 2 powerful?", the only goal of that reflexion is to raise that single point.

"Otherwise, it is like trying to use make and costuming to look like someone else, when you're completely blind" This means for me: technically possible using other senses albeit with a considerable penalty. A blind person sees well with his hands and colors catch heat at different levels.

People footsteps makes different noises. By mimicking the noise it makes you could fairly well mimic the impact your footsteps do through the ground. It's all a matter of weight, density and movement.

Although there are extensive rules changes, SaS constantly refers to the Player Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide and Monster Manual as being the base books. So here's the basic Tremorsense.

From the 3.5th edition on which d20 is based.

Tremorsense (Ex)
A creature with tremorsense is sensitive to vibrations in the ground and can automatically pinpoint the location of anything that is in contact with the ground and within range. If no straight path exists through the ground from the creature to those that it’s sensing, then the range defines the maximum distance of the shortest indirect path. It must itself be in contact with the ground, and the creatures must be moving. As long as the other creatures are taking physical actions, including casting spells with somatic components, they’re considered moving; they don’t have to move from place to place for a creature with tremorsense to detect them. Aquatic creatures with tremorsense can also sense the location of creatures moving through water. The ability’s range is specified in the creature’s descriptive text.


I just say that conventionnal senses put to the same degree of supernatural might (taste, sight, hearing, touch and smell) would be a lot less effective.

Nothing about identifying, tremor signature, or detecting non-moving living creatures. Normally, tremorsense-relying creatures are bigger/smaller than player characters: That's how they differentiate "allies" from "foes" in a regular encounter.

Now, does superhuman vision automatically comes with X-Rays or a natural ability to see through illusions or is that an additionnal power? I can't say, I don't have access to the pdf right now.

If so, my point is moot.

If not, well, being able to pinpoint a non-moving, not acting target would actually be a considerable improvement over the base power, let alone being able to identify an individual based on it's "tremor signature".

That's how I saw tremorsense at its point value. Now, Mord, you're the DM, if you want to make it anywhere close to omniscience, well, it's yours to do so. But, please, don't tell me I am of little faith because I expect the rules to be as written. Tell me instead this is the way you want it to be in this game and the fact for it to be particularly powerful is not an hindrance to the game.

Which is fine, but confusing. "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it" is a sure way to make followers doubt.

Fovar
2011-11-04, 07:02 PM
I always figured that two miles would be the extreme terminal distance, like seeing out to the horizon or hearing a gunshot from far away.

As for what sorts of things can foil it, I'd figure standing in a crowd, or near any kind of vibrating machinery, would conceal someone from Enkida. And stealth should work normally, with him maybe getting a +2 bonus if you don't know to conceal yourself from something that can detect vibrations.

And I've always roleplayed him having to stop and sort through the various signatures he gets to try to pick someone out of an area, which takes several minutes to do. He only usually keeps track of things within 50 yards or so, unless something is particularly 'loud'

If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm saurian.

I am perfectly comfortable with that definition of tremorsense.

A worm doesn't detect non-moving targets btw. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Worm-wise, with an engine running, even if the vehicule is stationary, it is moving.

Pyrite
2011-11-04, 07:38 PM
I am perfectly comfortable with that definition of tremorsense.

A worm doesn't detect non-moving targets btw. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Worm-wise, with an engine running, even if the vehicule is stationary, it is moving.

Your heart is a four-cylinder engine that keeps you running.

As for RAW, I bought what we're calling 'tremorsense' as a heightened senses extra sense, and then paid more points to heighten it further. The book does not assign a value to a power called 'tremorsense' specifically, and we've just been calling it that out of familiarity and convenience.

Fovar
2011-11-04, 07:42 PM
Then, there it is. Just for a moment, Enkida senses the stranger walking around, several blocks to the East. Then its gone. Perhaps he hookshoted to a higher perch. But there was no mistaking it, he was there.

*sigh*

I may have a problem. My apologies. I need to change of RL group. I developped a bit of a paranoid temper. Note the use of an euphemism.

For my defense, it was instant recognition. The only points of "outrage" was sensing non-moving targets and the fact it could not be fooled.

Which I was not the way you used it.

PS: Meh, "for my defense". I AM in need of a new gaming group.

Fovar
2011-11-04, 07:50 PM
Your heart is a four-cylinder engine that keeps you running.

As for RAW, I bought what we're calling 'tremorsense' as a heightened senses extra sense, and then paid more points to heighten it further. The book does not assign a value to a power called 'tremorsense' specifically, and we've just been calling it that out of familiarity and convenience.

And breathing is an action.
Proof: You are now breathing manually.

As for RAW: "If so, my point is moot."
This is the Dynamic Power rant all over again. A power in the gray area with PMVs. I zip it. *Fovar takes out his "The End is Nigh" sign. Now if you excuse me, I must go back to work.

Mordaenor
2011-11-05, 06:59 PM
Hey Pyrite.
Apart from being shocked and awed, is Enkida doing anything? Or is he going to simply continue on to his rendezvous with the masked stranger?

Pyrite
2011-11-05, 09:42 PM
Hey Pyrite.
Apart from being shocked and awed, is Enkida doing anything? Or is he going to simply continue on to his rendezvous with the masked stranger?

I was actually looking for any more information about a direction or location of the signal first.

If I don't have any idea about that, I'll continue to the meetup more hastily and with a dim sense of panic.

Mordaenor
2011-11-06, 09:25 AM
The signal originates roughly to the North East. While too far, and too brief away to pinpoint, tracking its direction is easy. You also know roughly how far away it was from you, approx. 2 miles, so you should be able to track its source within 100 yards, although the task would be easier if you could walk a straight line. City layout requires a zigzag path, which would increase the likelihood of losing your way.

Pyrite
2011-11-06, 02:57 PM
Well then, that's going to make things rather messy. At this point, Enkida's patience has just completely run out.

The tabloids are going to have a field day tomorrow. Sorry, Fovar, but it looks like I might not make the meet. And Enkida might be pushing The Shade's heist off the front page.

(Edit: And by the way, I've edited my IC post to reflect this.)

Mordaenor
2011-11-07, 09:13 AM
Okay. Corw1n and info. Pyrite just took off, what do you do?

infoweasel
2011-11-07, 12:19 PM
Sorry, be pretty sick over the weekend. Posted now tho.

Mordaenor
2011-11-07, 12:24 PM
Fovar: Roll Perception.

Fovar
2011-11-07, 12:29 PM
Perception:
[roll0]

EDIT: Mmmmh. Change of plans, no way to contact me and a REALLY poor roll to notice anything going on. Btw, Tuesday marks the week, Friday the week and a half.

I consider I'll win my bet if I do not post an active roll before friday. :smallwink:

Mordaenor
2011-11-07, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I realizaed as soon as I posted it, there was no point to that roll.

Mordaenor
2011-11-07, 12:58 PM
Has anyone noticed that occasionally, an error occurs while posting, and while the post DOES go through, the subscription page doesn't show you as the last poster? Not sure if I should delete the post and resend it in those cases or just let it be.

Fovar
2011-11-07, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I realizaed as soon as I posted it, there was no point to that roll.

(Dratz, there's no way I can make him join again, unless...)
"Well, you needed 3 to succeed! Congratz!"

Like you did here, a dice roll should never get in the way of good storytelling. Those with such a big effect are often the saves, perception, insight and maybe social rolls can really foil a DM's plans.

Had a GM, for Scion, a strange game where everyone play the offsprings of gods, who occasionnaly made us roll trapped Perception checks. Spotting the glowing basilisk eyes, or noticing the folder named "plan for world domination" containing the location of a deadly ambush (while the true document was in Sewer waste disposal whatever) was frustrating. Especially because I knew I rolled well and it caused us troubles. Drived the story forward though.

Would have been less frustrating if he made the roll in secret. A very perceptive character rolling very poorly might explain such fumbles. But here I am rambling on.

By the way, I have an Abysmal wisdom score (noticed?). My point is: I would'nt notice such a bug.

Mordaenor
2011-11-07, 09:34 PM
(Dratz, there's no way I can make him join again, unless...)
"Well, you needed 3 to succeed! Congratz!"

Like you did here, a dice roll should never get in the way of good storytelling. Those with such a big effect are often the saves, perception, insight and maybe social rolls can really foil a DM's plans.


I generally trust myself on being able to roll with the dice, and have valid/interesting consequences for if a given roll does or doesn't succeed. After all, one can't predict what actions players will take, so as a GM one is already forced to trust to luck. Its also one thing I like about PBP games. I don't have to have an instant response if someone does something unexpected, I can take an hour (or six) to figure it out. Here, I didn't have a contingency plan, you were going to have to see Enkida, if this party had any hope of coming together. As it is, if you'd roll well, you might have also seen Zhang and Sho following him, so the roll wasn't completely pointless.

Edit: Related to your action: Staying on the Bike will allow you to catch up/keep up with Enkida much more easily, but the noise it makes is also more likely to give away your position to him, if you get too close to him. Stealth is easier on foot and/or with the Hookshot, but keeping up with him would be harder, although not impossible for you, given your High Dex. So, what's your plan exactly for tailing Enkida?

Corw1n
2011-11-08, 03:01 PM
Hmmm, hey Mord, what are your thoughts on me adding a daily limit to the Zen Direction thing? And I use the points on the next level up? It is really cool, and can probably help out in a bind, but it is starting to feel like "Herp, i am lazy and don't want to work out a reasonable solution. I will let the DM control me for a bit" This is not a dig at you or anyone else playing at the moment, just my feelings on it the skill itself. This thought sprung from my realization that my first reaction to not knowing where to go is now "Spidey Sense Go!" instead of reacting to the story and environmental elements you have so gracefully provided.

Mordaenor
2011-11-08, 03:39 PM
Applying a Power Defect now to get extra BP at Level Up? Hmmm... I'll allow it if there are no objections from the table. Anyone else thought of a Defect that in retrospect they probably should have taken?

Which version of Limited Use were you thinking?

Corw1n
2011-11-08, 03:48 PM
I was thinking something like Limited to 1 or 2 times per day, showing how difficult it is to meditate that deeply. So deeply that the universe pulls you to where you need to be. Something like that.

Fovar
2011-11-08, 05:03 PM
Edit: Related to your action: Staying on the Bike will allow you to catch up/keep up with Enkida much more easily, but the noise it makes is also more likely to give away your position to him, if you get too close to him. Stealth is easier on foot and/or with the Hookshot, but keeping up with him would be harder, although not impossible for you, given your High Dex. So, what's your plan exactly for tailing Enkida?

Tailing in the shadows. Remain unseen and ready to step-in.

However, even with a bonus to Athletic, a bonus to Perception, and a penalty to stealth, the dices where REALLY one-sided.

Edit:
Dices: hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel

Mordaenor
2011-11-08, 07:37 PM
Perception: [roll0]
would zhang realize that enkida is heading towards the water?


No. While Zhang knows Boston is a port city, he is not familiar enough with the lay out the city to know that Enkida is headed towards the Harbor.

Mordaenor
2011-11-09, 09:46 AM
I was thinking something like Limited to 1 or 2 times per day, showing how difficult it is to meditate that deeply. So deeply that the universe pulls you to where you need to be. Something like that.

Let's say twice per day, as I think you've already used it twice today. That's 2 BPs to spend at Level Up

Corw1n
2011-11-09, 09:55 AM
Awesome, thanks!

Mordaenor
2011-11-09, 09:55 AM
Bringing up Heightened Senses (Sight) x2 (+8 bonus)
Should still have Zhang in my Invisibility range (100 yards)
Intelligence check to locate Enkida visually (if possible):


Invisibilty spell's duration is almost up, btw.

infoweasel
2011-11-09, 10:51 AM
As far as I can tell, Invisibility doesn't have a duration limit...it doesn't list Duration as a PMV, and explicitly does list 'Time limit' as a suggested restriction.

Mordaenor
2011-11-09, 10:55 AM
But Dynamic Powers does.

Edit: Always remember you are not using the attritute Invisibility, or Teleport, or Heightened Senses. You are using "Dynamic Powers" to mimic those effects, and are subject to the PMV's assigned to that Power, including duration. This allows you to do certain things that mimicked attribute normally could not, such as hitting multiple targets, applying the Area and Target PMVs to a Special Attack. But it also restricts you in certain ways, such as all you powers being subject to the Duration PMV.

infoweasel
2011-11-09, 11:06 AM
Ah, okay. Didn't think about it that way. Definitely will need to buy up its Duration PMV once I get some XP, then.

Re: Edit:

I didn't know you could do that! Sweet, thanks for the clarification. That means I could use Fly on multiple targets even though the Flight power itself doesn't have the Targets PMV available, etc. Gotcha.

Mordaenor
2011-11-09, 12:08 PM
Hey Info. You only need to list the Attribute and Rank of a spell when its relative strength might be called into question, mostly for combat related Atts, such as Armor, Force Field, or Special Attack, or for movement abilities where I need to know how fast you are going, such as Flight. Otherise, you can just say, "I'm casting Invisibility on myself and XYZ" or "I'm Teleporting the entire Party across the river"

infoweasel
2011-11-09, 03:50 PM
Hey Info. You only need to list the Attribute and Rank of a spell when its relative strength might be called into question, mostly for combat related Atts, such as Armor, Force Field, or Special Attack, or for movement abilities where I need to know how fast you are going, such as Flight. Otherise, you can just say, "I'm casting Invisibility on myself and XYZ" or "I'm Teleporting the entire Party across the river"

Will do going forward.

Mordaenor
2011-11-10, 11:18 AM
Listen checks from everyone else. Beat DC 17 (Fovar's stealth roll -5) to hear the clang of the Shade's Grapple Shot on the next building.

Fovar
2011-11-10, 11:44 AM
But Dynamic Powers does.

Edit: Always remember you are not using the attritute Invisibility, or Teleport, or Heightened Senses. You are using "Dynamic Powers" to mimic those effects, and are subject to the PMV's assigned to that Power, including duration. This allows you to do certain things that mimicked attribute normally could not, such as hitting multiple targets, applying the Area and Target PMVs to a Special Attack. But it also restricts you in certain ways, such as all you powers being subject to the Duration PMV.

Mmmmmh.

Actually re-casting the invisibility shouldn't be too much of a problem, wasn't like you'd need to make noise to...

Oh... that's right, you need to chant :smallbiggrin:

This makes for a pretty interesting character quirk. By the way, while active, is there a way to actually perceive the invisible person? Like a perception check (that no one has) or a Will Save when there's something obviously there, kindof disbelieving the invisibility?

Just gauging how useful could be "Blind Shot" Combat Technique.


As a sidenote, I need help:

I am starting, as the GM, a Shadowrun Game with RL friends, and I may need a little bit of input. The game happens in Montreal, UCAS (formerly in Canada) and the game MUST start on the "new" Champlain's bridge blowing up (at least partially), with one of the character proclaiming: "This time it ain't my fault". Kindof an imposed challenge, the game will firstly review the events that led there.

Usually I have quite a fertile imagination, using the 3Y technique but now, I'm stuck with a blank page.
- If the players are not responsible while being protagonists, I expect it to be a thoroughly planified trap.
- Blowing a bridge demands preparations, and is rather an extreme method. So I suspect this was not done simply to eliminate the PCs. This is more on the scale of Act of War.
- Being on that Bridge implies the characters are using a vehicule.

The party as it is:
- A socially/battle inept Dwarven Hacker
- A ex-corporate agility-based Elven Assassin
- A Troll, a slow but powerful melee monster easily led
- A Human Mage/Face with a shadowy background
- A Human Rigger team-player with a tendancy for practical pranks
- And, PROBABLY, an Orc Gun-Bunny/Street Samurai that looks at the augments list like a child looking in a toy magazine.

infoweasel
2011-11-10, 11:57 AM
Remember, 'Invisibility' can apply to more than just sight. Right now the group is hidden from both prying eyes -and- ears.

On an unrelated note...

Perception check: [roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-11-10, 12:07 PM
Mmmmmh.

Actually re-casting the invisibility shouldn't be too much of a problem, wasn't like you'd need to make noise to...

Oh... that's right, you need to chant :smallbiggrin:

This makes for a pretty interesting character quirk. By the way, while active, is there a way to actually perceive the invisible person? Like a perception check (that no one has) or a Will Save when there's something obviously there, kindof disbelieving the invisibility?

Just gauging how useful could be "Blind Shot" Combat Technique.


Yeah, generally renewing a spell that's expired won't be difficult, but it does mean you need to plan for things. An Invisibility spell that expires in the middle of a group of Thugs could present a problem.

As far as detection, it depends on how powerful the spell. The spell would be subject to the same limits as the attribute it Mimics. Each rank masks the target from one detection method (sight, hearing, touch, smell, random sixth sense, etc..) I'll need to re-check the Blind Shot wording (can't access the book at the moment), but I would guess it is not likely to work on a target someone with Invisibity of Rank 3 or better.

Fovar
2011-11-10, 12:23 PM
Remember, 'Invisibility' can apply to more than just sight. Right now the group is hidden from both prying eyes -and- ears.

On an unrelated note...

Perception check: [roll0]

Daaaamn is Dynamic Powers powerful. Here's an invisible pit of lava! (Because the PMV target can let affect a certain weight of matter)

I choose to be "invisible" to taste, touch and smell. (not sight nor hearing)
Boooh! Imma ghost!

Blind Shot clearly stipulates there must be one way or the other you can detect the target before shooting. If I do not hear / see / touch / taste (what?) / smell / or detect via sixth sense his location, I can't benefit from it.

My best bet would be to use oil/glue/paint to... paint... the target. If the "paint" doesn't become invisible that is

Fovar
2011-11-10, 02:12 PM
Mmmmh. I suggest you guys read Power vs. Power, p.131 and Dynamic Powers vs. Normal Powers, p.132.

From my interpretation of the rules, Invisibility could be counteracted (negated) by a power (or powers) of equal / superior total ranks that could logically foil it.
Question is: Does invisible characters leaves footprints? Do the space they occupy in water appears empty, like very weird bubbles?

In my humble opinion, Invisibility could be countered by:
Nullify (Drain), Creation (colored gas, aim for empty spots?), Dynamic Powers (heheh), Environmental Influence, Gadgets (specifically used toward detection), Heightened Senses / Awareness, Plant Control, Sixth Sense, some specifically tailored Special Attacks (usually areas), Swarm, Telepathy, Transmutation (replace a component of the air by a non-toxic, colored equivalent).

Some would need to be aimed, thus requiring a cue before they could be aimed, like Nullify (Drain), Plant Control, Swarm, Environmental Influence... where others could work passively, like a special attack in the form of an Aura, Sixth Sense, Telepathy, Heightened Sense

Note: I got none of those :smalleek:

Mordaenor
2011-11-10, 02:45 PM
Question is: Does invisible characters leaves footprints? Do the space they occupy in water appears empty, like very weird bubbles?
Yes to both.



In my humble opinion, Invisibility could be countered by:
Nullify (Drain), Creation (colored gas, aim for empty spots?), Dynamic Powers (heheh), Environmental Influence, Gadgets (specifically used toward detection), Heightened Senses / Awareness, Plant Control, Sixth Sense, some specifically tailored Special Attacks (usually areas), Swarm, Telepathy, Transmutation (replace a component of the air by a non-toxic, colored equivalent).

Correct. Any of these would be viable counter measures, plus any else one could think of.

Also, I checked Blind Shooting. You need to be able to detect the target in some way other than sight in order to use it, hearing would be the norm. You don't need to know exactly where the target, is but you do need to detect his presence.

infoweasel
2011-11-10, 06:01 PM
@Foavar: Yeah, Invisibility can cover more than one sense or type of detection, but the creative/intelligent character will come up with a way of figuring something out. Like you said, gas, water, other types of senses, etc.

On that note, @Mord:
I as the player was unaware of the way Dynamic Powers' PMVs factored into Duration and other PMVs that are non-applicable to specific power.
Should I make an INT check or something for Sho to realize that his spell is about to run out? Don't want to metagame, but at the same time I would have to imagine that's something a powerful sorceror would know about.

Mordaenor
2011-11-10, 07:59 PM
On that note, @Mord:
I as the player was unaware of the way Dynamic Powers' PMVs factored into Duration and other PMVs that are non-applicable to specific power.
Should I make an INT check or something for Sho to realize that his spell is about to run out? Don't want to metagame, but at the same time I would have to imagine that's something a powerful sorceror would know about.

Does Sho know his own limitations? Yes.

Pyrite
2011-11-11, 03:13 AM
Hearing perception check: [roll0]

Tremorsense perception check (if applicable): [roll1]

Just as a note, I'll probably roll for Tremorsense whenever I get a perception check that doesn't specify a sense, or that I think it vaguely could be applicable to. Feel free to disregard those rolls whenever you deem necessary.




I am starting, as the GM, a Shadowrun Game with RL friends, and I may need a little bit of input. The game happens in Montreal, UCAS (formerly in Canada) and the game MUST start on the "new" Champlain's bridge blowing up (at least partially), with one of the character proclaiming: "This time it ain't my fault". Kindof an imposed challenge, the game will firstly review the events that led there.

Usually I have quite a fertile imagination, using the 3Y technique but now, I'm stuck with a blank page.
- If the players are not responsible while being protagonists, I expect it to be a thoroughly planified trap.
- Blowing a bridge demands preparations, and is rather an extreme method. So I suspect this was not done simply to eliminate the PCs. This is more on the scale of Act of War.
- Being on that Bridge implies the characters are using a vehicule.

The party as it is:
- A socially/battle inept Dwarven Hacker
- A ex-corporate agility-based Elven Assassin
- A Troll, a slow but powerful melee monster easily led
- A Human Mage/Face with a shadowy background
- A Human Rigger team-player with a tendancy for practical pranks
- And, PROBABLY, an Orc Gun-Bunny/Street Samurai that looks at the augments list like a child looking in a toy magazine.

Hey, here's an escape clause to that ending if the players all end up getting captured: It could end up being a prison transport, the bridge being destroyed to either secure their escape by their allies, or to rescue someone else on the transport with them, the rescuing organization either leaving the criminals to fend for themselves or impressing them into service.

I know it's basically the opening to GTA 3, but theft is the greatest form of flattery.

Imitation. I meant imitation.

Mordaenor
2011-11-11, 09:00 AM
Hearing perception check: [roll0]

Tremorsense perception check (if applicable): [roll1]

Just as a note, I'll probably roll for Tremorsense whenever I get a perception check that doesn't specify a sense, or that I think it vaguely could be applicable to. Feel free to disregard those rolls whenever you deem necessary.


I'm going to rule that you don't notice him. While the Tremorsign CAN transmit from the top of Building A, down the walls to the ground, and then back up to the top of Building B, by that point its not noticeable enough to draw your attention, especially because your focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Infow: Sho hears a dull "Thud" from the next building. Go ahead and post what you immediate reaction would be.

Edit: The ruling I've been trying to go by is that your Tremorsense works best when both you and the signal you are sensing are both standing on Solid Ground (Or at least on the same surface). If one of you is not, it becomes "fuzzier", if both are not, even worse.

Mordaenor
2011-11-11, 11:15 AM
Info: In case you are wondering: yes, Sho is aware the Inv. spell wore off. Enkida and Zhang however might not be.

Mordaenor
2011-11-11, 01:44 PM
So, something's been bothering me for a while, and I think I've found a solution. Unfortunately, infow, the solution is going to impact Sho, more than any other character.

The maximum ranks for a given skill = Level + Ability Mod. + 3. So a character with an Intelligence of 30 could concievably have the Languages skill at Rank 14 at level 1.

COMBAT skills don't benefit from this, as they are not considered to have relevant abilities. So Max Ranks for my Gun skill at level 1 is 4. Add to this, the fact that Combat skills cost triple.

Not a problem so far. Apples to Apples, you use combat and non-combat skills in different situations, so for the most part opposed roles are not likely to be out of balance.

Except "Power Usage" is classified non-combat. Anyone see the potential imbalance here?

So here's my solution: Anytime you use a non-combat Power Attribute as an attack: only apply half your skill rank to the check.

I try not too obsess to much over "Game Balance" because I think it more important to just play the game and have fun. As Fovar mentioned earlier, perfect balance is nearly impossible anyway. But this one's been bugging me, so we're going to attempt this as a fix. We'll see how it looks and if we need to re-evaluate it, we will.

Fovar
2011-11-11, 04:05 PM
The maximum ranks for a given skill = Level + Ability Mod. + 3. So a character with an Intelligence of 30 could concievably have the Languages skill at Rank 14 at level 1.

COMBAT skills don't benefit from this, as they are not considered to have relevant abilities. So Max Ranks for my Gun skill at level 1 is 4. Add to this, the fact that Combat skills cost triple.

Except "Power Usage" is classified non-combat. Anyone see the potential imbalance here?

So here's my solution: Anytime you use a non-combat Power Attribute as an attack: only apply half your skill rank to the check.


To notice the imbalance, I'd have to know which powers actually need a "Power Usage" roll...

But yeah, I see the potential. Between 3.5 and 4th eds, Wizards have released a Star Wars Edition. Force Powers used a skill that could easily be maxed using skill focuses and the like, which meant a properly built Jedi/Sith could "cast" with little to no chance of resisting.

The most ridiculous part were those where additionnal effects were relevant of the Use the Force Skill result ONLY. Either the spell failed completely or it was always full damage. We houseruled tresholds based on (Opponent Will, Opponent Will+3, Opponent Will +6)

RAWs were very unbalancing. And frustrating for those who likes non-jedi roles.

infoweasel
2011-11-11, 04:14 PM
Sounds fair to me.

Fovar
2011-11-11, 04:29 PM
Regarding my IC post:

Replace "my instincts" by "the not-so-subtle message the forum's roller told me".

Edit:
Dices: hide yourself in a barrel hide yourself in a barrel ...

Mordaenor
2011-11-13, 06:16 PM
Heightened Senses: Echolocation/Sonar, attempting to locate wherever the signal Enkida mentioned is coming from based on his description.

Not sure what roll would be appropriate here...you tell me, Mord.


No, I don't think I'm going to allow this one. While you can use magic to improve your own senses, without ever having seen/heard/touched/whatever the device, you have not a clue what it is you are looking for. Also, I'm going to rule that your character can't duplicate a sensory mode that your aren't familiar with, and unless your character was once a scientist, I don't think you would be familiar with the concept of bouncing sound off an object to determine its location. Nor can you duplicate Enkida's Tremorsense.

infoweasel
2011-11-13, 06:37 PM
Fair enough. How about the 'life sense' I described before? I can search about 100 yards at a time in a 10 mile radius, and I imagine human life signs stand out from fish and other sea life.

Mordaenor
2011-11-13, 08:32 PM
Fair enough. How about the 'life sense' I described before? I can search about 100 yards at a time in a 10 mile radius, and I imagine human life signs stand out from fish and other sea life.

I'll allow that, but each 100 Yard Area requires a recasting, as you need to target a new "Focal Point" each time. You have no casting limit, but such a search will take time. Roll Power Use, to see if you get anything.

infoweasel
2011-11-13, 08:35 PM
Power Usage: Dynamic Powers

[roll0]

Mordaenor
2011-11-13, 09:25 PM
Fovar: Roll City Knowledge

Fovar
2011-11-14, 09:14 AM
City Knowledge:
[roll0]

Pyrite
2011-11-15, 09:27 PM
Uh... Fovar I would think the implication would be that they had taken the subway tunnel and the device had gone off halfway there, not that our enemies dug a new tunnel under the bay in which to bury it.

Fovar
2011-11-15, 10:49 PM
Uh... Fovar I would think the implication would be that they had taken the subway tunnel and the device had gone off halfway there, not that our enemies dug a new tunnel under the bay in which to bury it.

Shhhh... awaiting the results of my roll.

(was the tunnel built then?)

Edit: I may be mistaken, but the first was built in 1934. As soon as Mord post the result of my roll I may have to modify my post. I'd love to think, however, that the tunnel is being built with clockwork technology.

I mean; that a villain's base will be salvaged to build a path underwater.

Pyrite
2011-11-15, 11:10 PM
Shhhh... awaiting the results of my roll.

(was the tunnel built then?)

Edit: I may be mistaken, but the first was built in 1934. As soon as Mord post the result of my roll I may have to modify my post. I'd love to think, however, that the tunnel is being built with clockwork technology.

I mean; that a villain's base will be salvaged to build a path underwater.

Did you miss this post?


From the Shade's perspective, all he sees is the strange man close his eyes and stand perfectly still. Nothing particularly impressive about that. He looks out in the direction, of the Harbor, indicated by Enkida. Under the water... James could be mistaken, but doesn't the new subway tunnel connecting to East Boston run right through that section of the Harbor?

Mordaenor
2011-11-15, 11:19 PM
Shhhh... awaiting the results of my roll.

(was the tunnel built then?)

Edit: I may be mistaken, but the first was built in 1934. As soon as Mord post the result of my roll I may have to modify my post. I'd love to think, however, that the tunnel is being built with clockwork technology.

I mean; that a villain's base will be salvaged to build a path underwater.

Subway tunnel connecting East Boston to the rest of the city was built in 1904. First underwater subway tunnel in the world. Sorry, I thought I made that clear by my IC posting.


He looks out in the direction, of the Harbor, indicated by Enkida. Under the water... James could be mistaken, but doesn't the new subway tunnel connecting to East Boston run right through that section of the Harbor?

Hmmm... now I read what I wrote it could be interpreted as "currently being built" Sorry if I wasn't clear on that one.


Edit: Which DOESN'T mean the tunnel wasn't built using clockwork tech, but it IS finished by this point, and has been operating for a few years.

Fovar
2011-11-16, 05:19 PM
Did you miss this post?

Yes. Yes I did, correcting my post.

Mordaenor
2011-11-16, 08:18 PM
Fovar, not sure if you are deliberately playing James as mixed up, but Zhang is the Martial Artist. Sho is the Mystic. (Who never actually introduced himself in the IC thread, infow, but we can assume he did for sake of game flow.)

Edit: And to answer the Shade's question, infoweasel, teleporting into a location you can't see and have never been isn't recommended. Could end up at the bottom of the Harbor, and that would end this game real quickly.

Fovar
2011-11-17, 06:13 PM
Fovar, not sure if you are deliberately playing James as mixed up, but Zhang is the Martial Artist. Sho is the Mystic. (Who never actually introduced himself in the IC thread, infow, but we can assume he did for sake of game flow.)

Edit: And to answer the Shade's question, infoweasel, teleporting into a location you can't see and have never been isn't recommended. Could end up at the bottom of the Harbor, and that would end this game real quickly.

Not intended deliberately, but let's pretend I was.

I mean, no offense intended of course, asian guys all seems alike, right?

"This is awkward; but which one of you is "Zhang" again?"

infoweasel
2011-11-17, 06:26 PM
Just as a reminder, Sho is quite Caucasian. Wearing a suit coat of the day (referenced in an earlier post with links and all), the only vaguely Asian thing about him are the clasp of his cloak and the symbol on its back, which also has a vaguely Masonic thing going on with the All-Seeing Eye set within the outline of the same kind of flower as his clasp.
I'll edit this later with a link to the post/quote of its contents as a reminder.

Fovar
2011-11-17, 06:47 PM
Awright... correcting IC.

Mordaenor
2011-11-17, 09:06 PM
Speaking of Zhang, has Corw1n gone MIA again? Haven't seen him post in a few days.

Pyrite
2011-11-18, 03:35 AM
Speaking of Zhang, has Corw1n gone MIA again? Haven't seen him post in a few days.

I can roll on and assume his answer is agreeable, letting him fill in later, if you'd prefer.

Corw1n
2011-11-18, 10:37 AM
Sorry, just posted, frikkin hospitals. However that should be the last time until the wife needs/doesn't need a transplant. The infusion she got seems to be helping and 1/6th of the people who get the infusion end up not needing a transplant. So here's hoping for a rolled critical :smallwink: