PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Big Bad?

NineThePuma
2011-10-03, 05:15 PM
So, I managed to build a plot (out of a mook that Cadian_9th threw at me) and I've got most of the pieces. However, I'm not familiar with every type of dragon in the game, so I'm turning to the playground.

I need a Dragon that is Evil. They must be viable in combat. And I would prefer if they were extraplanar. They must also have the balls to steal secrets from the Platinum Dragon.

Cad recommended the Tartarian Dragon.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-03, 05:37 PM
I always liked the Shadow Dragon -I believe it is from Forgotten Realms.

As for size of its balls, I would say that comes down to the individual dragon...

Keld Denar
2011-10-03, 05:44 PM
Agreed. Shadow Dragons are pretty badass, on top of being Extraplanar IIRC (being natives of the Plane of Shadows, their existance on the Prime is unnatural).

Are you exactly looking for a dargon? Or can something simply be dargony?

Zagaroth
2011-10-03, 05:55 PM
they are not technically extraplanar, they simply have strong ties tot he Shadow Plane.

OTOH, they are terribly sneaky,nasty evil dragon (I love 'em) with a thing for undeath.

Hrrm. class-swap racial sorc spell casting for Dread Necro spell casting. Then add actual levels in DN for class abilities. HUGE charisma for lots of Rebuke Undead.

if you want to keep things heavily shadow themed, make sure there are lots of Shadow Mastiffs around to harass and pack-hunt the party at the right time, and let him have made a few bargains with some Shadow Demons.

If playing in the realms, might throw in a connection to Shar, and take Shadow Weave caster.

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-03, 05:55 PM
Pyroclastic Dragon is pretty neat too.

The Rust Dragon is the most evil from a meta point though. :smallamused:

But any dragon can be evil, especially in settings like Eberron where color coding is not always reliable. It could even be something unique or nonstandard, like a corrupted/possessed gold dragon or a half-fiend or something.

NineThePuma
2011-10-03, 06:05 PM
Ooh, Shadow Dragons...

The idea here is that the dragon had the balls to steal the specifics of the Dragonborn Ritual, and (having completed the Draconic Ascendant PrC) is making a bid toward being more than a foot note on the pages of history. The Mooks that he has an insane Artificer making come out of the process as Stony Dragonborn Warforged.

I could mix Undead in, and it would be AWESOME. Combine with the Artificer being some sort of Horde Master in and of himself...

Anyways, the Dragon is kind of a Man Behind The Man, so it just needs to have a penchant for subtlty and Shadow Dragons can do that fairly well. (Actually, initially he was a Half Fiend Dracolich of some kind, but then I got side tracked with Hellfire Wyrms)

Runestar
2011-10-03, 07:14 PM
I like pyroclastic dragons, they are like red dragons without spellcasting, hence the much lower cr. :smallbiggrin:

All dragons are pretty viable in combat, if you ask me. :smallamused:

Greymane
2011-10-03, 07:49 PM
I like pyroclastic dragons, they are like red dragons without spellcasting, hence the much lower cr. :smallbiggrin:

All dragons are pretty viable in combat, if you ask me. :smallamused:

You're forgetting the best part! Their breath weapons disintegrate people! And it's not a death effect! :smallamused:

Runestar
2011-10-03, 09:19 PM
What cr range are you looking at? Using non-associated rules, dragon ascendent would be +6cr already, and the base dragon would have to be rather powerful just to qualify.

Otherwise, you could always just slap on the quasi-deity template, though there isn't a listed cr for it (I personally peg it at ~+2cr).

Alternatively, a renegade silver or gold dragon? Dragons of eberron has a silver dragon with lvs in hidecarved dragon.

Seethyr
2011-10-04, 10:07 PM
Have you heard of Blithen? He's certainly got the personality and intellect to foil the Platinum Dragon.

Blithen of Many Names (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20040123d)

Kol Korran
2011-10-04, 11:04 PM
a suggestion that might make shadow dragons even creepier, and more powerful- make it a ghostly dragon (template in the Draconmicion) other than usual ghostly stuff, it gets a special breath, that reduces all physical stats by the dragon's age category. and i think it was drain, though i'm not sure. usable only 3/ day, but do you really need more? i'm about to try one in my next meeting. i can tell you how it went if you want.

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-04, 11:47 PM
Have you heard of Blithen? He's certainly got the personality and intellect to foil the Platinum Dragon.

Blithen of Many Names (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20040123d)

How could I have forgotten about the Obsidian Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b)? They're even extraplanar. And no doubt one could do a lot of crazy stuff with a Genesis PLA. You'll need to make some adjustments for the 3.0-3.5 conversion though.