PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing about the orb of annihilation.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-03, 05:49 PM
Well, I was looking through artifacts on the SRD for various reasons, and I came across the sphere of annihilation. Then, I noticed something funny.

A sphere of annihilation is a globe of absolute blackness, a ball of nothingness 2 feet in diameter. The object is actually a hole in the continuity of the multiverse.

Now, look closer at that second sentence.

The object is actually a hole in the continuity of the multiverse.

One last time.

a hole in continuity.

The Sphere of Annihilation is apparently a plot hole.

Safety Sword
2011-10-03, 06:05 PM
The Sphere of Annihilation is apparently a plot hole.

I've heard it called much worse names than that...

NineThePuma
2011-10-03, 06:24 PM
Gives a new meaning to the term plot hole.

Actually, now I want to write a fic where, whenever something happens that causes a plot hole, whoever noticed in character gets sucked up by a sphere of annihilation.

panaikhan
2011-10-04, 07:29 AM
Our GM once gave out a sword with a micronized orb of annihilation bound to it's tip.
The weapon killed / destroyed the first 'medium or smaller' thing it struck every round. Large things lost 1/2 their HP, Huge things 1/3, etc etc or took 6D6, whichever was greater. Subsequent attacks were as a +3 Longsword.

The Downside? wielding the weapon did a point of Con damage per round of combat, and it couldn't be sheathed.

lesser_minion
2011-10-04, 07:48 AM
I hate to point this out, but 'continuity (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/continuity)' means plenty of things outside of fiction.