PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Hitsquad - Ala Seven Samurai

kkortekaas
2011-10-03, 06:24 PM
So my idiot group decided to take out a notable dwarven merchant, and have since fled their city. I've got an idea to send a dwarven hitsquad after them made up of essentially the Seven Samuari...

Anyone able to help me out fleshing this out?

unosarta
2011-10-03, 06:30 PM
So my idiot group decided to take out a notable dwarven merchant, and have since fled their city. I've got an idea to send a dwarven hitsquad after them made up of essentially the Seven Samuari...

Having seven Warblades, each of a single discipline, Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, Setting Sun, White Raven, and Desert Wind (with the Disciplines that Warblades don't get switched out for unnecessary) would be really cool, with each Warblade focusing on their Discipline, using discipline feats, weapons, only maneuvers of those Disciplines.

If you are talking about 3.5, of course. If not, having them sort of more based on different diamonds could be interesting. Like, play up their connection to stones, and have Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby, Bloodstone, Garnet, Jade, and Kyanite.

Kaun
2011-10-03, 06:36 PM
hmm, what system?

You could have the Rock solid defender type meat shield.

The mad axe swinging berserker type

On with a tooled up quick firing heavy Xbow.

The demolitions/explosive engineer.

The scout tracker who strikes from the shadows.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-03, 06:54 PM

Weird because only 5 of them actually were combat worthy.

Kambei Shimada
The leader of the group and the first "recruited" by the villagers, he is a wise but war-weary soldier.
Marshall or Warblade with White Raven Tactics or Dragan Shaman

Katsushirō Okamoto
A young untested warrior. He comes from an aristocratic family and wants to be Kambei's disciple.
Paragnostic Champion (idealizing the leader) Prc. Warblade or Fighter or any
warrior
Gorōbei Katayama
He is recruited by Kambei and is a skilled archer, he acts as the second in command and helps create the master plan for the village's defense.
Archer/2ndary strategiest: could be a Ranger,

Shichirōji
He was once Kambei's lieutenant. Kambei meets him by chance in the town and he resumes this role.
No idea.

Heihachi Hayashida
Recruited by Gorōbei. An amiable though less-skilled fighter. His charm and wit maintain his comrades' good cheer in the face of adversity.
Buffer/Bard. He inspires team and keeps morale up.

Kyūzō
He initially declined an offer by Kambei to join the group, though he later changes his mind. A serious, stone-faced samurai and a supremely skilled swordsman; Katsushirō is in awe of him.
Deadly swordsman.

Kikuchiyo
A would-be samurai (right down to the false noble birth certificate) who eventually proves his worth. He is mercurial and temperamental. He identifies with the villagers and their plight.
Factotum or any guy trying to prove self.

kkortekaas
2011-10-04, 07:52 AM
hmm, what system?

You could have the Rock solid defender type meat shield.

The mad axe swinging berserker type

On with a tooled up quick firing heavy Xbow.

The demolitions/explosive engineer.

The scout tracker who strikes from the shadows.

I'm using a derivation of the Iron Heroes system (so 3.5 ish) I could work with what is outlined above

Ursus the Grim
2011-10-04, 07:58 AM
Weird because only 5 of them actually were combat worthy.

Heh. This exactly. I feel like the other suggestions are made without actually considering the source material.

I feel like the Seven Samurai being adopted for a hit squad is kinda against the spirit of it, myself. The whole point was that they were defending the peasants against superior odds. If you're trying to emulate their personalities, I can't see them signing up for a hit squad. So in what way do you want them to be the "Seven Samurai"?

Now, if you really want them to start running, stat up Sanjuro and do him justice. :smallwink:

kkortekaas
2011-10-04, 09:45 AM
I guess your right, it would be outside the spirit of the material.

The Reverend
2011-10-04, 03:41 PM
Try something more reservoir dogs. "This is Mr. bronze that's, Mr. Copper, Mr Iron, Mr. Tin, Mr. Steel, over there is Mr. Nickel and I'm Mr. Cobalt and we're here to make an example out of youse for killing our beloved boss."

Yeah that would pretty effing scary, seven pissed off dwarves in black armor.

Tiki Snakes
2011-10-04, 03:55 PM
Try something more reservoir dogs. "This is Mr. bronze that's, Mr. Copper, Mr Iron, Mr. Tin, Mr. Steel, over there is Mr. Nickel and I'm Mr. Cobalt and we're here to make an example out of youse for killing our beloved boss."

"Hey, why am I Mr. Tin?"
"Because you're a [Lawn Ornament]."
"Why can't we pick our own metals?"
"No way, no way. Tried it once, doesn't work. You got four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Adamantine, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Tin. Be thankful you're not Mr. Aluminium."
That's an angle that has potential.

Mono Vertigo
2011-10-04, 04:48 PM
I don't know about your original idea, kkortekaas, but Reservoir Dwarves needs to be done. Somewhere. Sometime.

Mikeavelli
2011-10-04, 05:02 PM

This is the stuff legends are made of.

Noedig
2011-10-05, 12:16 AM
Have Mr. Iron be the Mr. Blonde analogue. Rob bank, slay civilians, acquire beer, return to hideout.

kkortekaas
2011-10-05, 07:22 AM
Oh hot damn, that's the idea!.

Thematically, all armored, with perhaps coloured capes?

The Reverend
2011-10-05, 08:09 AM
You can never go wrong with a Tarantino crossover is my rule.

kkortekaas
2011-10-05, 08:39 AM
Now I'm going to need to watch the movie this weekend to get some characteristics down

Daftendirekt
2011-10-05, 01:42 PM
You can never go wrong with a Tarantino crossover is my rule.

Why do 7 dwarves when you can do 88, and all of them insane? :smallbiggrin:

kkortekaas
2011-10-05, 02:12 PM
Because 7 is way less work then 88?

GungHo
2011-10-05, 03:58 PM
What, you don't like doing 10 hours of work that your players destroy within 30 minutes? What kind of GM are you?

The Reverend
2011-10-05, 06:10 PM
Hmm no just do the same dwarf 85 times. Then three original dwarves. Would be better for maybe githyanki, hobs, or maybe gobs.

I think Reservoir Dwarves has a better ring. Great title for the session too, if you do that kind of thing.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-06, 01:27 AM
Hmm no just do the same dwarf 85 times. Then three original dwarves.

Srsly. Most of the Crazy 88 were just mooks. Only a few that stood out: the three that attacked all at once, Gogo, and that kid that she just sent running out.

The Reverend
2011-10-06, 05:35 AM
If it is 4E just make em minions boom. One hit dead.

kkortekaas
2011-10-06, 07:27 AM
I'm going the Resevoir Dogs route, it's awesomesauce.

Cerlis
2011-10-06, 07:52 AM
to bad, you could go Evil seven samurai. as in take each samurai and figure out what he would be like if evil, and if thats not possible what his opposite would be.

For instance the cold super skilled samurai, you might have a plucky happy go lucky Harley Quinn esc character.

Nothing says lame like getting your ass kicked by a guy whos making jokes while he does it.

cattoy
2011-10-07, 12:30 AM
Kikuchiyo just has to be a short, hairy human who wants desperately to be a dwarf.

Fortuna
2011-10-08, 05:55 AM
If you do name them after metals, remember that they need to have telepathy, as well as abilities vaguely suited to the metal in question. They should also be generally mysterious, and mention disasters that they had a hand in causing (impressed-ness for the reference).

Gabe the Bard
2011-10-09, 09:23 AM
Don't forget to show them this picture:

http://132.209.40.23/w4/campagne/images/WotC_Art_Galleries/Complete_Warrior/Dwarf_Samurai.jpg

Cieyrin
2011-10-09, 09:30 AM
Don't forget to show them this picture:

http://132.209.40.23/w4/campagne/images/WotC_Art_Galleries/Complete_Warrior/Dwarf_Samurai.jpg

As long as they aren't actually that class, they should actually be effective at being a threat. At least if they aren't all going to be fearmongers, anyways.

Hazzardevil
2011-10-09, 03:45 PM
As long as they aren't actually that class, they should actually be effective at being a threat. At least if they aren't all going to be fearmongers, anyways.

Did anyone else just think throw 7 of Shneekys samurai build at a group players, that would utterly destroy the entire party by panicking everyone who isn't fear immune and ganging up on anyone who is.

Tiki Snakes
2011-10-09, 05:54 PM
If you do name them after metals, remember that they need to have telepathy, as well as abilities vaguely suited to the metal in question. They should also be generally mysterious, and mention disasters that they had a hand in causing (impressed-ness for the reference).

Hey... :smallconfused:
Did you just make a Sapphire and Steel reference? Did that just happen?

Cieyrin
2011-10-09, 06:04 PM
Did anyone else just think throw 7 of Shneekys samurai build at a group players, that would utterly destroy the entire party by panicking everyone who isn't fear immune and ganging up on anyone who is.

See, you only need 1 to make it work, there really isn't a need to stack since there's only so much fear that can brought on. Once they're panicked and cowering, there's no mechanical benefit to intimidating further.

Fortuna
2011-10-09, 07:53 PM
Hey... :smallconfused:
Did you just make a Sapphire and Steel reference? Did that just happen?

Impressed-ness ensues!