PDA

View Full Version : Don't rest your head: A horror game

Mindartis
2011-10-03, 06:55 PM
So, me and my group have been thinking about trying the game Don't Rest Your Head. Does any Playgrounder know anything about this game, or has played it? We really like the horror/survival games, and this one looks really cool.

Xefas
2011-10-03, 07:08 PM
The last thread about this game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204329) has a lot of information (some from me) that might be helpful to you.

I don't really feel like reiterating everything from that thread so just, in summary: "It's good. Play it."

Mindartis
2011-10-03, 07:43 PM
Didn't see the thread. Thanks for the link.

Xefas
2011-10-03, 09:09 PM
Didn't see the thread. Thanks for the link.

Well, it's over three months old and in a different subforum. Kinda understandable. Anyway, if you have any other questions or concerns that the previous thread doesn't touch on, I have some experience with the game and would be happy to answer.

Just, post the questions here and not in that older thread - I think it would be thread necromancy at this point.

Mindartis
2011-10-03, 09:26 PM
Coolio. Anywho, all I was wondering was how the game flowed. You said that the kinda unfolded on itself, but does it flow smoothly, or does one need to take time and practice a bit before really getting the hang of it?

Xefas
2011-10-03, 10:01 PM
When I played it for the first time, no one in the group had ever played it before, and it went very smoothly. The mechanics are fairly simple and straightforward, and if everyone reads the book (it's a pretty short read; not that big of an imposition), you shouldn't have any problems or need to do a test run or anything.

The conflict mechanics might seem a bit weird and quirky the first time or two, but just trust what the book says and it'll eventually "click" for everyone and begin to flow naturally. Don't Rest Your Head is known for being a good game for very short campaigns, and part of the reason is because it's easy to pick up with little prep or setup time.

Kallisti
2011-10-04, 06:00 PM
Best gaming session I ever ran was DRYH. It's a fantastic system.

Also I sort of BSed half the rules and nobody noticed--after all, I didn't want to break the flow of the session by looking up rules. I think that's a compliment to the system, that having read through the book I could wing it without it being disruptive. As long as you know the core mechanics off the top of your head (easy, since there's not a lot of them), it runs incredibly smoothly.

Plus it's just a great, high-tension system for horror.

Word of caution, though--if the players stop caring if something bad happens to their characters, the game will implode hard, because it's a brutal system that can go supernova fast if everyone throws all the madness dice.

Mindartis
2011-10-04, 09:01 PM
Plus it's just a great, high-tension system for horror.
That's what I've heard. I'm willing to invest the 20 dollars into it. Seems really intense.

Word of caution, though--if the players stop caring if something bad happens to their characters, the game will implode hard, because it's a brutal system that can go supernova fast if everyone throws all the madness dice.So, make sure the PC's understand it's brutal? Or just warn them against throwing all the madness die?

The conflict mechanics might seem a bit weird and quirky the first time or two, but just trust what the book says and it'll eventually "click" for everyone and begin to flow naturally.I'm thinking about running a few test games with our other DM to get the feel of it, is that a good decision?

Shadowknight12
2011-10-04, 09:15 PM
So, make sure the PC's understand it's brutal? Or just warn them against throwing all the madness die?

That's the exact opposite of what he meant. What he means is "don't go overboard with the angst and darkness, don't fatigue the players, or they'll stop caring what happens to their characters." This is a given that goes for ALL horror games, and it goes incredibly unnoticed by most GMs. The most important part of a horror game is the balance between darkness and light. The only reason we fear the darkness and what's in it is because we surround ourselves with light. We embrace the light, we need the light; and its absence (plus the things that live in this absence, the things that are not like us, because they do not need the light) frightens us.

This is a metaphor for "don't drown your players with too much grimdarkness or they'll stop caring."

I'm thinking about running a few test games with our other DM to get the feel of it, is that a good decision?

That's what I'll be doing when I get a chance. I don't usually GM blindly.

Mindartis
2011-10-04, 11:48 PM
"don't drown your players with too much grimdarkness or they'll stop caring."
Ahh. You're right, I never really thought of that.