PDA

View Full Version : The book of Crafting

Chained Birds
2011-10-03, 07:27 PM
Greetings fellow gamers of varying optimization levels.
I call upon any/every 3.5 magic/psionic item crafter to aid me in developing many magical/psionic items for various levels of crafting.
From a young spellcaster/psion/artificer's first incredibly useful infinitely-spewing Magi-gun / Psych-gun; to the epic time-traveling police box every Time Lord can't wait to take for a spin. So, anyone got any charished formula they'd like to show off.

Just show us the name, the formula for making it (spells, powers, feats, etc), what is the best level / the lowest level you can make it at, and finally, the most impotant part, what does it do and how many times can it do that. We'll use the DMG's WBL for determing gp, and we'll assume the creater has enough exp to create at least 1 of that item [minimum half exp required to obtain next level].
As I'm a bit of a newbe when it comes to the creation of personal items, I unfortunately have nothing to add at the moment, but do plan to show my own ideas later on if inspired.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-03, 07:39 PM
One simple recipie I find useful:

Uslotted Healing "belt" (MIC 110)

Requires:

Craft Wonderous Item, Cure Moderate Wounds, DM willing to let you craft unslotted versions of specific items.

Market Price (using DMG "unslotted item = x2 price modifier) 1,500 gp

Cost to Create: 750 gp, 60 Xp.

Abilities: As per the standard Healing Belt, not listed here as item is not OGL.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-04, 10:18 AM
I guess OP is asking for unique original items, but I personally have always had good success finding a weird / only situationally useful item and changing its form / usage.

I will update this to include several proper examples later, but i'm away from my character notes at the moment so I can't think of most of them right now...

A Traveller's cloak, for example, doubled in cost to be a pouch a player could use. three or four good utility options and in no slot for that little? STEAL!

My artificer had a great gimmick of travelling around, under the guise of being an illusionist entertainer;

A wand of presdigitation, a small-animal version of a bag of tricks turned into a magician's hat to pull out small animals like mice and doves, using a magic-infused deck of cards with that spell from complete scoundrel to 'cheat' the right card into place when needed, using a cheaper form of floating disk to levitate her assistant, even that kobold's version of a portable hole as the trick floor in a box-stuffed-full-of-swords act.

An Ethereal Filtcher stealing / planting things off the audiance is a little more suspect but worked to good effect.

And my absolute favorite transportation vehicle ever, a halfling-sized carriage with a trick door that was actually just a cover for another surface, constant phantom steeds, and a portable hole (or two!) with a bottle of endless air so that the clowns could all pop out.

a few cross-class ranks in sleight of hand, bluff, and perform pretty much sealed the deal. XP worries? well, that's what adventuring is for! (especially when the community you visit is besieged by ogres, pays you to kill them, and then pays you EXTRA due to the show you put on after they're gone!)

of course, in combat, there were dust eggshell grenades enchanted with the ranged property to almost never miss and crafted with the "long range" property from dragon 358 to have a range of roughly 25 foot, no miss chance and no save, fleshgrinding projectile weapons (preferably from a splitting weapon), Tesselated mithril armor to technically be a light-armor fullplate for true iron-man shennanigans, with +2 or +3 AC above full plate's standard form, +3 to normal dex mod choke point, -20% to ACF, and only weighing about 30% of normal weight (good grief!).

On the joys of Thinaun, the anti-plot-armor material:
Clerics who keep a thinaum weapon or two around can make a KILLING by selling resurrections, as they can perform them for only half the normal cost and still charge full price. it just means murdering the person to be raised WITH that weapon.
But combine that with....

If I ever made an assassin, all their "ensure this person STAYS dead" kills would be made with cheap magic Thinaun projectiles, as it automatically traps the soul of the last person killed and ENSURES they will not be raised by anything short of a wish, miracle or better (the magic means the projectile doesn't break, and even better, true ressurection afair is not enough unless you have the weapon to supply the soul) while also ensuring that, you know, YOU can raise them if they paid you enough or if you later find out you need them for some purpose. All you need to do is some way of collecting the projectile, or instead crafting single-use RETURNING throwing weapons that kill the target, but this gets VERY expensive as you're paying full price for one soul-storing weapon, rather than for fifty projectiles of the same.

There's also something to be said for keeping a chunk of the stuff on you: see if you can get DM permission (if it's not you) to have it automatically suck up your soul as long as it's touching you, ESPECIALLY if other things have the oppertunity to destroy or trap your soul.

Where this gets a little whiffy is in having a Thinaun item contingency'd to collect your soul when you die...for a half-cost ressurection later.

Where this gets VERY whiffy is having the contingency also resurrect you, for half cost.

Where this will get a DMG thrown at you is having this item be a spell clock that radiates magic as normal, functions as a very attractive time-peice, and uses the clock as a countdown for half-cost ressurecting you a week or two after you die... and it's not even on your person.

Where you will get BURIED in books is having that spell clock automatically sound a bell or Alarm spell to inform someone else to perform the ressurection for you, again at half cost, possible in a bank or vault along with other Thinaun alarm clocks..
or being the person who makes these things, attunes them to a client for outrages prices, and ensures they are raised later.

Wizards and Clerics can do this for cheaper, but ensuring every bard, fighter, paladin and filthy rich NPC can be raised regardless of time, distance, method of execution short of a wish?

Damn right you'll be busy. and raking in the money.
(Until the inevitables come knocking on the door...)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-04, 12:24 PM
/snip

I thought Inevitables didn't bother with people who used reviving spells as it "wasn't their time" (Read: DM didn't want them dead yet)? And your not cheating death any more than any other adventurer just doing so in a more economical, logical, and 'safer' fashion. Safer of course being relative to banking on dieing.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-04, 03:02 PM
I thought Inevitables didn't bother with people who used reviving spells as it "wasn't their time" (Read: DM didn't want them dead yet)? And your not cheating death any more than any other adventurer just doing so in a more economical, logical, and 'safer' fashion. Safer of course being relative to banking on dieing.

Ah, maybe you're right with that. It's been a good while since I read the inevitable entries....

practical advice to artificers in an 'adult' setting with a DM who likes to spring things on you if you don't specifically prepare for it:
Remember a masterwork contraceptive can be enchanted and thus immune to normal breaking....
Spend a bit more and you can have a "presdigitation" activation on it for cleaning it, making it hot, cold, flavoring it.... making it shoot a 6-inch line of fire that does one point of damage.....:smalleek:
The only thing you'll have to consider is if it counts as a masterwork tool, and thus gives you some sort of +2 bonus, or if it's a protective peice of equipment, considered armor or a shield and thus actually gives you an AC bonus :smallconfused:.

Moving on. *ahem*

That travel pouch I mentioned? 1,200 GP, from the magic of Faerun book.
You'll need to be at least level 3 artificer or caster level 5, possess the craft wonderous items feat and able to UMD 21 / cast three level 1 spells: enlarge, endure elements, and create food and water.
Any artificer worth their salt (read: has the necessary feats) can craft this for 900GP, 72XP and two days worth of effort. well within WBL.
(A non-artificer / feat starved crafter can make it for the original 1,200, three days worth of work and 96 XP, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY more WBL at level 3.)

EDIT: I can't find whether or not the item in question is OGL, removing the exact abilities until I can verify it.
The pouch will provide the exact same benefits as the Travel cloak in that book.

Now, since technically we're removing the cloak slot, we lose some functionality, but honestly I would say you could still KEEP it as a cloak in this form and gain those benefits, you just also have the ability to wear another cloak with it.

Eternal Wand of Rope Trick:
Never worry about mundane ambushes at night ever again!
Required stuff: spellcraft DC 16, create wand, ability to cast or UMD Rope Trick (22 DC), caster level 8 to last all night.
Cost to make: 2,210 GP (or 1,657 gold, 50 silver with the right feat)
XP: 176 (137)
Time: 3 days (4 days)
wait, what?
the chart in the magic item compendium for creative these things lists a 2nd level spell wand as taking 3 days to make. the market price is 4,420 GP, which by all rights takes 5 days to make. Ergo, the table is incorrect, a standard eternal wand of this level takes 5 days, the 25% faster version, 4 days.

I wanna make a baby!

No, not something you say to your significant other / a really attractive npc:
Since everything in existance that requires crafting needs an expenditure of XP to produce, there's a line of thinking that suggests you can craft a living being by expending the correct amounts.
How much does it take?
We'll take a base-line level 2 player character, as before that, the amount of EXP can vary anywhere between 0 and 999.
so, 1,000 XP to make a 2nd level character?
that means it takes 25,000 GP market base value to make, has a raw materials cost of 12,500 GP and takes the better part of one month to create.
exactly what you get at the end is open to debate, when arguably there's far cheaper alternatives for creating life.
Exactly what feats and spells you'll need, I have no idea.
But at level 3, WBL is enough to afford the construction cost of a level 2 character - wait a minute.
Level 3, you can make a level 2 character?
Oh my god, it's the leadership feat's big brother! parental leadership!

Zonugal
2011-10-04, 03:40 PM
I put this together a while ago for a planar-based campaign which takes a lot of inspiration from Star Trek, Chronicles of Riddick, Farscape and Warhammer 40k.

So far I've been working on weapons within the setting. This is what I have (arcane spells from mainly Spell Compendium with re-flavoring).

Technology

Weaponry
Plasma Pistol ($225 gp)
A pistol-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the pistol begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint green light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the pistol releases a blast of plasma energy towards its newest victim.
Plasma Pistol: (1d3 acid; x2; 25 ft.; plasma pistol: saving throw non- spell resistance none)

Plasma Rifle ($450 gp)
A rifle-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the rifle begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint green light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the rifle releases a blast of plasma energy towards its newest victim.
Plasma Pistol: (1d8 acid; x2; 25 ft.; plasma pistol: saving throw none-spell resistance none)

Flame Burster ($450 gp)
A pump-action object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the burster begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint orange light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the burster releases a fiery cone fifteen feet towards anything in front of it, be it objects or people.
Flame Burster: (1d4 fire; x2; 15 ft. cone-shaped burst; flame burster: saving throw reflex for half-spell resistance yes)

Cyro-Launcher ($450 gp)
A rifle-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the rifle begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint blue light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the rifle releases a shard of irce towards its newest victim. Should the shard miss the initial target it explodes injuring anyone in a five foot radius (dealing 1 point of cold damage).
Cyro-Launcher: (1d4 cold; x2; 25 ft.; cryo-launcher: saving throw reflex for half-spell resistance yes)

Mini-Rail Cannon ($450 gp)
A cannon-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the cannon begins to pulsate with energy, releasing a faint hum equivalent to a small bell. When the trigger is pressed the cannon releases a blast of concentrated force towards its newest victim, instantly hitting them (only total concealment & total cover save the target). Because the Mini-Rail Cannon is so focused upon destroying a creature’s biology it does nothing against inanimate objects.
Mini-Rail Cannon: (1d4+1 force; 110 ft.; mini-rail cannon: saving throw none-spell resistance yes)

Stationary Weaponry
Rail Cannon ($1,500 gp)
A large, stationary cannon-like machine, with a five-foot radius, constructed out of a protective iron casing and possessing an iron chair for the user the Rail Cannon is a hefty instrument of destruction. Upon being activated through the on-board safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the cannon begins to pulsate with energy, releasing a faint hum equivalent to a small bell. When the trigger is pressed the cannon releases blasts of concentrated force towards its newest victim, instantly hitting them (only total concealment & total cover save the target). In addition after hitting its target the Rail Cannon user can command the blasts to ricochet towards three additional targets within 30 ft. immediately hitting them like-wise (only one blast can be ricocheted towards one additional target, thus dealing 1d4+1 force damage). Because the Mini-Rail Cannon is so focused upon destroying a creature’s biology it does nothing against inanimate objects.
Rail Cannon: (3d4+3 force; 640 ft.; rail cannon: Saving throw none- spell resistance yes)

Turbine Cannon ($4,000 gp)
A large, stationary cannon-like machine, with a five-foot radius, constructed out of a protective iron casing and possessing an iron chair for the user the Turbine Cannon is a hefty instrument of destruction. Upon being activated through the on-board safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the cannon begins to pulsate with energy, releasing a large crackle equivalent to a thunder storm. When the trigger is pressed the cannon releases a concentrated blast of wind energy up hitting everything within a 120ft line (spell resistance does apply). Those hit suffer 10d6 points of damage (reflex save for half) with larger creatures taking half damage. Those who should fail their reflex saves are additionally hurled backwards (treat this as a bull rush attack made with a +12 on the Strength check. The blast always moves backwards with its opponent to push that target back the full distance allowed, and (unlike a normal bull rush) you can exceed your normal movement limit with a sufficiently high check result. Airborn creatures are treated as if they were one size category smaller for the purposes of resisting the bull rush. If the damage caused to an imposing barrier by the blast shatters or breaks through it, the turbine blast can continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s radius permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.
Turbine Cannon: (10d10; 120 ft. line; turbine cannon: Saving throw reflex for half- spell resistance yes)

Bombardments
Central Nervous Chemical Toxin ($200 gp)
Once detonated through destruction (typically from falling a great distance) this iron-cad device (hardness 1; hit points 10) unleashes a bank of poisonous nerve gas filling a radius of 20 ft. wide up to 20ft. high. For five rounds those within the heavy mist must make a fortitude save or contract the disease none as the Shakes (DMG 292) which strikes immediately without incubation period. A creature inflicted with such a disease takes 1d8 points of Dexterity damage immediately, and each day that the disease persists, it must make a DC 13 Fortitude save or take another 1d8 points of Dexterity damage. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target). The mist obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. The mist moves away from its initial destination at a rate of 10ft. per round, rolling along the surface of the ground or water. Because the vapors are heavier than air, they sink to the lowest level of the surface over which they move, pouring down sinkhole openings, and even down through minute cracks. The mist can not penetrate liquids, nor can be it cast underwater. A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the mist in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the mist in 1 round.

Sonic Dismantler ($200 gp)
Once detonated through destruction (typically from falling a great distance) this iron-cad device (hardness 1; hit points 10) unleashes a violent volume of noise within a 20ft. radius spread that sets off three effects. First, all creatures in the area must make Will saves to avoid being stunned for 1 round. Second, the creatures must make Fortitude saves or be deafened for 1 minute. Third, they must make Reflex saves or fall prone. Creatures that cannot hear are not stunned, but might still fall prone.

Nature’s Bane ($200 gp)
Once detonated through destruction (typically from falling a great distance) this iron-cad device (hardness 1; hit points 10) unleashes a terrifying sight of death & decay. Within a 10ft.-line every fey, vermin, plants and plant creatures, and animals caught in the area take 3d10 points of negative energy (Reflex save for half and spell resistance counts).

The Caster Gun & Accessories
http://rpggamer.org/uploaded_images/CasterAndShells.jpg

Caster Gun ($220)
A pistol-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the pistol’s side section opens up awaiting ammunition placement (do so takes a full-round action). When the trigger is pressed the pistol releases its ammunition bolt screaming towards its newest victim.
Caster Gun: (-- dependent on ammunition; 110 ft.; caster gun: saving throw non- spell resistance none)

Caster Gun Ammo Pouches
Stone Pouch ($440): Any stones, which can be no larger than sling bullets, placed into this small belt pouch are immediately transmuted (through a variety of levels & switches, requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) so that they strike with great force when thrown or slung. If hurled, they have a range increment of 20 feet. If slung, treat them as sling bullets (range increment 50 feet). The spell gives them a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. The user of the stones makes a normal ranged attack. Each stone that hits deals 1d6+1 points of damage (including the spell’s enhancement bonus), or 2d6+2 points against undead. Will-based saving throw (harmless, objects), spell resistance applies (harmless, objects)
Gems Pouch ($3,500): Any gems (at least costing $1 gp), which can be no larger than sling bullets, placed into this small belt pouch are immediately transmuted (through a variety of levels & switches, requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) so that they strike with great force when thrown. If hurled, they have a range increment of 60 feet. Each gem explodes in a five-foot radius dealing 2d8 points of force damage. Reflex-based saving throw (save for half), spell resistance applies.

Caster Gun Ammunition
Stone: 1d6+1 (or 2d6+2 against undead); x2; 110ft.; stone)
Gem (1 gp): 2d8 force; x2; 110ft.; 5-foot radius; gem)

Specialized Ammunition
Grease Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a ten foot squared-area magical slime immediately covers the floor for one round. Any creature in the area must make a successful Reflex save or fall. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details). A Grease Shell may also be targeted towards a specific individual or object. Material objects not in use are always affected by this ammunition, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw fails, the creature immediately drops the item. A creature wearing greased armor or clothing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin. Reflex-based saving throw, no spell resistance.
Spark Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a creature or object a surge of electricity explodes dealing 1d8 points of electrical damage. No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Slumber Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a ten foot squared-area magical dust immediately explodes into the air causing a magical slumber to come upon any creature with four or less hit die for one minute. Sleeping creatures are considered helpless. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action). Saving throw will negates, spell resistance applies.
Scatter Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a collection of little, unsecured items they fly away in all directions simultaneously hitting everything within a ten foot radius. Such a spray causes damage dependent on the material. For fairly hard or sharp (such as stones, sling bullets, coins, glass, ect.) creatures in the burst take 1d8 damage (a successful reflex save negates this damage). Eggs, fruit, and other soft objects can be used, but the damage then dealt is nonlethal damage. Reflex-based saving throw, no spell resistance.
Vapor Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting any object or creature the surround radius around them, up to 20ft., immedaitly fills up with a misty vapor for one minute. It is stationary once created. The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target). No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Entangle Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting any object or creature the surrounding plant life in an area, up to a 40ft. radius spread, comes alive for one minute. Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those that enter the area, holding them fast and causing them to become entangled. The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement. Partial reflex saving throw, no spell resistance.
Fog Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any object or creature the surrounding radius around them, up to 20ft., immediately fills up with a bank of fog for up to 30 minutes. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target). No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Glitter Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting a ten foot squared-area a cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for 3 rounds. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades. Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Hide checks. Will-based saving throw (for the blinding), no spell resistance.
Swarm Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any objet or creature a swarm of bats, rats, or spiders (your choice) are immediately summoned for two rounds, which attacks all other creatures within its area. (You may summon the swarm so that it shares the area of other creatures.) If no living creatures are within its area, the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can. The shooter has no control over its target or direction of travel. No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Monster Aid I Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any five foot square a creature is immediately summoned to its place for three rounds. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. If summoning more than one creature, they can not be more than 30ft apart. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions. A summoned creature cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them. The creatures available are: Celestial Giant Bombardier Beetle, Celestial Eagle, Lemure (devil), Fiendish wolf, Large Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, Medium Fiendish Monstrous Scorpion, 1d3 Celestial Dogs, 1d3 Celestial Giant Fire Beetles, 1d3 Celestial Badgers, 1d3 Fiendish Dire Rats or 1d3 Medium Fiendish Monstrous Centipedes.
Nature’s Aid I Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any five foot square an animal is immediately summoned to its place for three rounds. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. If summoning more than one animal, they can not be more than 30ft apart. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the animal, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions. An animal cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Animals cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them. The animals available are: Black Bear, Crocodile, Dire Badger, Small Elemental (Any), Hippogriff, 1d3 Eagles, 1d3 Monkeys or 1d3 Wolves.