PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Spellcaster without Unseen Seer

Laniius
2011-10-03, 07:59 PM
My DM is not allowing Complete Mage, so I can't be an Unseen Seer. So I figured I'd try the following build (epic game, level 24)

Spellthief 1/Wizard 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 10/Human Paragon 3.

I put spellthief in level 1 for able learner, and I took the master spellthief feat so that my arcane caster levels stack with spellthief levels for stealing spells and caster level. I put Human Paragon last to maximize the amount of skill points I get with it. Is this class build the best option I have to maximize both sneak attack and spells without using Unseen Seer (I realize that Spellwarp Sniper doesn't gain sneak attack, but Sudden Raystrike stacks). I want to be somewhat of a skillmonkey as well, but Beguiler doesn't have enough offensive spells for my tastes, and I never was able to use enchantment or illusion effectively. Any ideas?

OracleofSilence
2011-10-03, 08:08 PM
Why is your DM allowing Complete Adventurer but not Complete Mage?

But ore to the point, it seem viable, if perhaps a little single purpose

Longcat
2011-10-03, 08:10 PM
Does your DM allow Races of Stone? If so, go BeguilerX/Mindbender1/Shadowcraft Mage5

OracleofSilence
2011-10-03, 08:13 PM
Maybe consider taking Shadowcaster 1st in that build, since its first level will give three good feats for you, and will only steal 1 beguiler level.

Laniius
2011-10-04, 05:38 PM
Why is your DM allowing Complete Adventurer but not Complete Mage?

But ore to the point, it seem viable, if perhaps a little single purpose

Because he sees it and Complete Divine as overpowered, or something. I don't know. He has access to all of them. I've decided that it is a waste of time arguing. My goal is single purpose, sniping things with sneak attack. I was actually considering straight rogue or scout, but figured since we're going to epic, spellcasting = good. Beguiler was going through my mind as well, but as I said before I'm not imaginative enough to use enchantments and illusions well in combat; and my party doesn't have the patience for a sneaky type character - or maybe I just don't play one well enough for them to have patience with it - so the spells are so I can make myself useful.

Laniius
2011-10-04, 05:51 PM
Does your DM allow Races of Stone? If so, go BeguilerX/Mindbender1/Shadowcraft Mage5

Limited to 2 prestige classes. So I'm using Spellwarp Sniper and either Arcane Trickster or Shadowcraft Mage if he allows it. The rest will be either wizard or beguiler, with one level of spellthief.