PDA

View Full Version : Skinsend Practical Uses? [PF]

Angry Bob
2011-10-03, 08:24 PM
So, I'm playing a witch in a Pathfinder campaign. I took skinsend because it was a cool spell and I figured the library of the order of light would not have access to it and burn me at the stake if I asked for a scroll of it, and I'm not getting the Coven hex until later, which the DM has told me would make locating trading spells with other witches possible.

For those unfamiliar, you rip your skin off and drive it around for certain bonuses, mostly squeezing into places. It's from Ultimate Magic.

It has some pretty good uses as far as creeping people out(Marionette possession a sleeping target, wake up, cast skinsend, do a little dance in front of them, then cast vomit swarm for effect), but I'm wondering if it has any practical uses other than that.

tl;dr: Skinsend, what is it good for?

Curious
2011-10-03, 08:28 PM
I believe somebody worked out some method of using skinsend along with Clone to basically become untouchable, while still being completely combat effective. Can't remember where though.

Doorhandle
2011-10-03, 08:35 PM
Blech, I always thought it was an impractical spell, as it left you with in vulnerability of magic jar with less of the bonuses.

Could be useful for stealth though... Have someone roll up your skin in a bag, then enter the building. If anyone asks, get the carrier to tell them you were flayed by a kyton and he's taking the skin back for resurrection. then simply place the bag in the room, and roll yourself out when it's time to kill the king...

Could also be useful if you need to be thrown somewhere high as your skin would be about 50% lighter, but aside form that i have no idea.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-03, 08:41 PM
Skinsend is ridiculously good and should have never been put in the game.

Let me quote the relevant text, bolding the important parts.

Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

You cause your own skin to peel off your body and animate as a magical creature you control. You may project your consciousness to your animated skin or return it to your actual body as a standard action. When your consciousness is in your body, you are helpless (except for transferring your will to your skin, or dismissing the spell).

Your possessed skin is identical to you in all ways, except the following: It has only half the number of hit points you had at the time you cast the spell, and cannot be healed above this maximum; construct type, traits, and immunities; Str 3, Con —; DR 10/piercing or slashing; and compression (as the universal monster ability). Your skin can take any actions you could normally take in your own body (such as to fight or cast spells).

You know the 3.5 thing where a Wizard is always off the on the Astral, adventuring through astral projection and can't actually be harmed? This is that, but creepier, somewhat crappier, and as a 2nd-level spell.

Yeah, so basically, no. If you're not using it break the game, good on you, but be warned that it can.

Angry Bob
2011-10-03, 09:04 PM
If I'm reading this properly, you don't get your con to HP because you don't have one anymore, or do you add something else? Or do you do exactly what the spell says and use half your normal HP as your skin's HP?

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-03, 09:09 PM
It has only half the number of hit points you had at the time you cast the spell

So half your normal hit points with your Con bonus included, yes. But in return, you get the full suite of Construct immunities, which are incredibly good.

Angry Bob
2011-10-03, 09:13 PM
So half your normal hit points with your Con bonus included, yes. But in return, you get the full suite of Construct immunities, which are incredibly good.

Right. Half at the time I cast is good, since 18 con. It would kind of suck to lose that, even with the construct immunities.

Wings of Peace
2011-10-03, 09:13 PM

Don't forget that by raw temp hp increases the actual hp of your skin golem.

Angry Bob
2011-10-03, 09:14 PM
Don't forget that by raw temp hp increases the actual hp of your skin golem.

That is a very good thing. Quick list of sources of temp HP available to witch?

Starbuck_II
2011-10-03, 09:22 PM
Skinsend is ridiculously good and should have never been put in the game.

Let me quote the relevant text, bolding the important parts.

You know the 3.5 thing where a Wizard is always off the on the Astral, adventuring through astral projection and can't actually be harmed? This is that, but creepier, somewhat crappier, and as a 2nd-level spell.

Yeah, so basically, no. If you're not using it break the game, good on you, but be warned that it can.

Except for this line:
If your body or skin is slain with your consciousness in it, the spell ends and you are instantly killed.

So unless you abandon your skin (move consciousness back to body), you die if it dies. Even when your skin is reunited with your body: you only get 1/2 the amount the body had originally (damaged skin lowers this further). Meaning you just lost 1/2 your life to cast the spell.

If Skin dies (and you are in body conscious): you needed Regenerate or Heal to be able to heal you above 0 hp. And note you are helpless without skin apparently. You can still act but anyone can coup de Grace you any time they want :smalleek:

Big Fau
2011-10-03, 09:39 PM
Except for this line:
If your body or skin is slain with your consciousness in it, the spell ends and you are instantly killed.

So unless you abandon your skin (move consciousness back to body), you die if it dies. Even when your skin is reunited with your body: you only get 1/2 the amount the body had originally (damaged skin lowers this further). Meaning you just lost 1/2 your life to cast the spell.

If Skin dies (and you are in body conscious): you needed Regenerate or Heal to be able to heal you above 0 hp. And note you are helpless without skin apparently. You can still act but anyone can coup de Grace you any time they want :smalleek:

So about what you should expect from a 2nd level version of Astral Projection.

Wings of Peace
2011-10-03, 09:57 PM
So about what you should expect from a 2nd level version of Astral Projection.

Is there a range limit on telepathy with our familiar? Because if we could just have our familiar ready with a ring of regeneration or something we wouldn't need to worry about the skin coming back.