PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - odd combination.

Dr_S
2011-10-03, 08:25 PM
So I mentioned in a thread recently that I was playing a blind character and we finally got to the point in our campaign where we are replacing our commoner levels with class levels.

I've decided to take 3 levels (maybe 4) of the synthesist variant of the summoner class (as described by that link)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist
as when I merge with my eidelon I can see using his senses.

I was wondering if I took a level of this rogue variant "investigator" http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/investigator

if my 1 sneak attack dice would apply when I attack while merged with my eidelon. It can't when I'm not since in pathfinder the rule specifically states that to sneak attack I have to be able to see my opponent.

On the one hand I am supposed to use his physical stats, even if mine are better (I have higher dex for example) and his base attack bonus, however I retain all my mental stats instead of his so I should know how to perform a sneak attack.

Doorhandle
2011-10-03, 08:37 PM
I'd give you that, provided the target was still flatfooted.

Of course, it dose raise the question of how you lean sneak attack while blind in the first place...

Eldest
2011-10-03, 08:40 PM
He used touch. And learned Uncanny Dodge quickly, for those times when he touched the wrong place trying to sneak attack.

Dr_S
2011-10-03, 08:52 PM
I'd give you that, provided the target was still flatfooted.

Of course, it dose raise the question of how you lean sneak attack while blind in the first place...

if my first level is synthesist I could learn some of my sneakery while merged with my eidelon.

As I've been playing him during our commoner levels the investigator level is easier to explain through RP than the synthesist... the synthesist levels are because I've literally been useless in every combat so far and thank god my DM runs a very balanced combat/social encounters type of game where I've managed to be one of the more useful members of the party so far.

**Edit: Also thanks for the answer, a lot of Synthesist aspects are written in a very ambiguous way because they didn't really account for all the ways in which synthesists would differ from normal summoners.**

panaikhan
2011-10-04, 07:17 AM
I play a Synthesist, and I see no problem with your interpretation.
Not playing a Rogue very often (and never having played an anthropormorphic Rogue) I can't remember if you can sneak attack with natural weapons.
If you can, well: tail, tail stinger, reach, poison attack :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2011-10-04, 07:35 AM
I play a Synthesist, and I see no problem with your interpretation.
Not playing a Rogue very often (and never having played an anthropormorphic Rogue) I can't remember if you can sneak attack with natural weapons.
If you can, well: tail, tail stinger, reach, poison attack :smalltongue:

Only splash weapons are exemption from sneak Attack (so no bombing sneak attack if you were an alchemist).

Larpus
2011-10-04, 08:07 AM
if my first level is synthesist I could learn some of my sneakery while merged with my eidelon.

As I've been playing him during our commoner levels the investigator level is easier to explain through RP than the synthesist... the synthesist levels are because I've literally been useless in every combat so far and thank god my DM runs a very balanced combat/social encounters type of game where I've managed to be one of the more useful members of the party so far.

**Edit: Also thanks for the answer, a lot of Synthesist aspects are written in a very ambiguous way because they didn't really account for all the ways in which synthesists would differ from normal summoners.**
Btw, if you can, find some way to grab Blindsight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Blindsight-and-Blindsense), it's a (monster) special ability, so it'll be tricky to get and you'll most likely need DM approval (don't think there's a blindsight-granting item in PF as of now). Still, if you do get it most of your problems go away since enemies inside your blindsight area are considered as if you weren't blind.

Also, if you can get it as a feat, racial feature or something (even if it's just a mere 5 or 10 ft), it helps you explain how in hell you sneak attack.

Dr_S
2011-10-04, 11:43 AM
Btw, if you can, find some way to grab Blindsight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Blindsight-and-Blindsense), it's a (monster) special ability, so it'll be tricky to get and you'll most likely need DM approval (don't think there's a blindsight-granting item in PF as of now). Still, if you do get it most of your problems go away since enemies inside your blindsight area are considered as if you weren't blind.

Also, if you can get it as a feat, racial feature or something (even if it's just a mere 5 or 10 ft), it helps you explain how in hell you sneak attack.

Best I could find were a couple classes where I got blindsense by level 10, and Blindsight available at a level higher than we're going to reach (15 for Oracles taking foggy vision curse, 18+ for summoners using evolution points and greater aspect.) However for a level 4, merging with my eidelon is an effective enough way to gain his senses so as long as I am either prepared or can stall for a minute before combat is initiated (probably not always an option but still) I'll be able to summon up and merge.

CTrees
2011-10-04, 12:43 PM
Four levels of Summoner gets you second level spells. Summon Eidolon and Lesser Evolution Surge are both quite useful, as are staples like Haste and Invisibility. A fifth level gets you energy attacks and permanent flight, as well as an extra HD, BAB, etc.

As to rogue levels... Synth4(or 5)/Rouge1/Assassin1, while not high op, is an interesting and unusual entry into Arcane Trickster, if you like that PrC. You really rather want to get permission to use fractional BAB, though.

Dr_S
2011-10-04, 02:45 PM
That definitely is an interesting way to look at it. How much would the not receiving Evolution points or Eidolon HD hurt me though as an Arcane Trickster?

I'm not really looking for high OP, I'm a newish player, and we have 2 players with as much or less play experience than me and only one experienced player in the group, so this won't be a high optimization kind of group, and so "good enough" combat wise and "good enough" social/non-combat encounters wise is more than good enough for me.

CTrees
2011-10-04, 04:57 PM
A normal Summoner would be hurt, drastically. However, Synthesist is very dippable, now that the FAQ clarified that even when merged, it gets the BAB contribution of other classes. So, your spellcasting is a little reduced/limited (but what you get is at reduced spell levels, which is quite nice), but you get a stronger chassis, less dependence on physical stats period (as yours don't count), and some very fun options, which, with Lesser Evolution Surge, you can swap as needed (going underwater? Get gills or a swim speed. Fighting a dragon? Give yourself immunity to it's element. Need to make a skill check? Get +8 to it by gaining Skilled temporarily)

I think I'd still prefer Wiz3/Rog3, but with this, you're not entering late, and it's very different (pretending to be a naga works well, for the high dex).