PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Washington

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-03, 09:59 PM
Honestly, I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to have the biblical flood of Noah's day coming down all day, every day, after some actual sun and warmth over the summer, it's almost reassuring to be completely waterlogged the instant you step out the door. Reminds you you live in the beautiful pacific northwest.
Sigh... nine more months until summer.

Gadora
2011-10-04, 02:00 AM
I'm just glad we don't have to look at the sun much for a while- the sky being bright like that can't be natural.

Out of curiosity, have you ever crossed the mountains and spent time in eastern Washington? It's got an entirely different climate.

Keld Denar
2011-10-04, 02:08 AM
There is no world beyond the barrier mountains. Whatever the country folk of Sultan or Goldbar tell you, they are just crazy old legends.

Fair well sun, see you again in 9 months!

Castaras
2011-10-04, 02:47 AM
...Is this fog or something in Washington, then? :smallconfused: *doesn't know much about the US*

MoonCat
2011-10-04, 09:13 AM
Western Forks and LaPush and places get twelve and a half feet of rain a tear, while in the east there's foothills and deserts and stuff. I live in western WA, but in the rainshadow, so I get 12 inches of rain a year while still being in the western half.

Eldan
2011-10-04, 09:32 AM
...Is this fog or something in Washington, then? :smallconfused: *doesn't know much about the US*

Well, the climate is known as Temperate Rainforest. It basically just rains all year. Looks beautiful on pictures, though.

Lord Raziere
2011-10-04, 09:47 AM
Eh, its just always cloudy to me, with some patches of rain and sun in between, here.

MoonCat
2011-10-04, 04:57 PM
Rain is incredibly rare here. It's cloudy often, except in summer, but hardly ever rain.

arguskos
2011-10-04, 06:22 PM
I love how people complain about Washington's rain, but when I actually checked how often it rains in Seattle, it turned out to be comparable to Columbus (my hometown), and it doesn't rain constantly here or anything. :smalltongue:

Now, this was several years ago, though I kinda doubt the rainfall ramped up significantly in the last few years.

Keld Denar
2011-10-04, 06:55 PM
Its a little sneaky. It doesn't rain that MUCH here, but it does rain often. And when it rains, its generally the whole day. Its a constant misting, if you will. The skys are always cloudy, and you often feel damp while outside, even when its not actively raining. Kinda like cold humidity.

arguskos
2011-10-04, 07:05 PM
Its a little sneaky. It doesn't rain that MUCH here, but it does rain often. And when it rains, its generally the whole day. Its a constant misting, if you will. The skys are always cloudy, and you often feel damp while outside, even when its not actively raining. Kinda like cold humidity.
See, that's basically Columbus (it's either wet as hell or sunny here, with basically no in-between), and no one goes "man, Columbus has so much damn rain".

I'm just confused why it's Washington that gets the attention as the (seemingly) wettest place on earth. How'd that even start?

MoonCat
2011-10-04, 11:09 PM
Yeah. It's constantly wet here in the rainshadow, but no rain, or very rarely. Is Seattle in the rainshadow? I'm not sure.

Kjata
2011-10-07, 03:45 AM
See, that's basically Columbus (it's either wet as hell or sunny here, with basically no in-between), and no one goes "man, Columbus has so much damn rain".

I'm just confused why it's Washington that gets the attention as the (seemingly) wettest place on earth. How'd that even start?

Probably because (I live like 15 miles from seattle) that if you drive a hundred or so miles east, you end up in a goddamn desert. Seriously, here it is green year round, while there it is brown.

Also, i love he weather here, but hate the government. I won't go into why though, per forum rules.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-07, 02:28 PM
Living in a part of the world with similar weather just north of you guys and having lived in colder parts of the hemisphere, I think I'll take rain over month after month of snow.

ORione
2011-10-07, 11:35 PM
I am also happy that the weather's cooling down and getting wet. Concrete just doesn't look right when it's dry.

MoonCat
2011-10-08, 01:27 AM
Going to Seattle tomorrow, by the way.

Elm11
2011-10-08, 01:47 AM
I come from Australia. I've heard plenty about this mysterious, possibly mythological phenomenon you speak of; this rain rubbish. Frankly, we don't have time for old Wives tales of water falling from the sky. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to suck the moisture out of some gum leaves.

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-08, 10:11 AM
I am also happy that the weather's cooling down and getting wet. Concrete just doesn't look right when it's dry.

Dry? What is this... dry you speak of? I am not familiar with that term.

Gadora
2011-10-08, 10:43 AM

You know... It's what it's like after you've been inside for a while.

ORione
2011-10-08, 11:11 AM

It's odd. I have a bunch of relatives in Arizona, so I often go there for the holidays. If you go there, you'll understand what "dry" means.

Yora
2011-10-08, 01:50 PM
Honestly, I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to have the biblical flood of Noah's day coming down all day, every day, after some actual sun and warmth over the summer, it's almost reassuring to be completely waterlogged the instant you step out the door. Reminds you you live in the beautiful pacific northwest.
Sigh... nine more months until summer.
South-eastern North Sea coast here. I can completely relate to you. :smallbiggrin:

Though England, Scottland, and Western Norway are also not known for their fair weather either.

Asta Kask
2011-10-08, 02:02 PM
They say that the weather forecast has a special mention if it won't be raining in Bergen (Norway). But I doubt it.

Nix Nihila
2011-10-08, 02:12 PM
They say that the weather forecast has a special mention if it won't be raining in Bergen (Norway). But I doubt it.

I was in Bergen over the summer (admittedly only for a few days). I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did. OK, I would be surprised, but only a little. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-08, 02:12 PM
I love is the smell after rain, when the sun comes out and all the dissolved aromas of all the flowers, leaves and trees evaporate and suffuse the air with their aromatic pungency.
It's heady stuff sometimes.

Asta Kask
2011-10-08, 02:19 PM
I love is the smell after rain, when the sun comes out and all the dissolved aromas of all the flowers, leaves and trees evaporate and suffuse the air with their aromatic pungency.
It's heady stuff sometimes.

You mean the rain stops where you live? :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-08, 02:23 PM
You mean the rain stops where you live? :smallconfused:
Yep, Vancouver Island, my <descriptor redacted/>!::smalltongue:

Yora
2011-10-08, 02:23 PM

That would be a rumor. When does it ever stop raining in Bergen? :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2011-10-08, 02:27 PM
From Wikipedia:

Rain fell every day between 29 October 2006 and 21 January 2007, 85 consecutive days.[

Ok, it's not quite that bad but three months with only rain?

Yora
2011-10-08, 04:00 PM
A bit of rain every day isn't that bad. But I remember one day we had rain all day! I woke up a couple of times during the night, and it was raining each time. The nxt day, it continuously rained until I got to sleep at 2 in the night.

ORione
2011-10-08, 11:33 PM
My mother has suggested that Zeus or whoever controls the weather makes it rain here to discourage tourists from moving here. I mean, the Seattle area is awesome enough that most people who come here would want to stay if they didn't have a problem with rain.

Fun fact: when Lewis and Clark got to the Pacific Northwest they declared it uninhabitable because it rained too much. I actually do see where they're coming from. Every summer my family goes camping at Mt. Rainier. One time it rained, and I must say: sleeping in a not-completely-waterproof tent while it rains is a miserable experience.

golentan
2011-10-08, 11:53 PM
You lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky little so and sos.

I like temperate, damp weather. But no, I live in a technical desert. :smallsigh:

At least we get good cloud cover here, and the temperature's not too hot. But I've been dreaming of the Pacific Northwest for more'n a decade now, with no prospect of ever getting to move there.

MoonCat
2011-10-09, 01:09 AM
You lucky lucky lucky lucky damp lucky lucky wet lucky soaked little so and sos.

Fixed that for you. :smallamused::smalltongue::smallcool:

starwoof
2011-10-09, 01:11 AM
Finally! The sun is gone! Its socks and sandals season! WOO!

Out of curiosity, have you ever crossed the mountains and spent time in eastern Washington? It's got an entirely different climate.

An entirely crappy 100% of the time climate.

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-09, 02:11 AM
A bit of rain every day isn't that bad. But I remember one day we had rain all day! I woke up a couple of times during the night, and it was raining each time. The nxt day, it continuously rained until I got to sleep at 2 in the night.

It rained for two days once? Wow, you have have it tough! Here I thought having a week and a half of straight rain was bad, but no, I give it up to you, the Rain King, and your incredible two whole days!
:smalltongue:

golentan
2011-10-09, 12:26 PM
Fixed that for you. :smallamused::smalltongue::smallcool:

I thought that's what I said. :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-10-09, 02:34 PM
I think we need to place Texas next to Bergen.

MoonCat
2011-10-09, 03:16 PM
I thought that's what I said. :smalltongue:

Ah, but just because I kept in the opinion means that I think it's true. I just peppered you opinion with FACTS.

Gadora
2011-10-10, 01:11 AM
An entirely crappy 100% of the time climate.

My mother grew up in eastern Washington. The town she grew up in would apparently just about shut down every so often, due to dust storms.

I'm not saying that they've got great weather over there, just trying to say that painting the whole state as being rainy isn't at all accurate.

KoboldRevenge
2011-10-10, 10:31 AM
@An Enemy Spy

You just got to enjoy the time you have with your yellow friend. But I am afraid that your location may be incorrect if you look at mine.

(Bellingham Represent!:smallbiggrin:)

ORione
2011-10-10, 11:46 AM
My mother grew up in eastern Washington. The town she grew up in would apparently just about shut down every so often, due to dust storms.

I'm not saying that they've got great weather over there, just trying to say that painting the whole state as being rainy isn't at all accurate.

We aren't saying Eastern Washington is rainy. In fact, I think Eastern Washington not being rainy was starwoof's point.

How does talking about dust storms support the conclusion that Eastern Washington does not have crappy weather?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-10, 05:50 PM
Sometimes rain can be nice. I grew up in mobile homes and trailer parks, so the sound of heavy rain on a tin roof puts me to sleep; it's a cosy, familiar sound.

Gadora
2011-10-10, 10:09 PM
We aren't saying Eastern Washington is rainy. In fact, I think Eastern Washington not being rainy was starwoof's point.

How does talking about dust storms support the conclusion that Eastern Washington does not have crappy weather?

Let me explain the motivations behind my posting about the eastern half of our fair state.

The OP took something that applies to only western Washington and talked about it as if it applied to the entire state. This is something that really ticks off quite a few people in eastern Washington, so I just wanted to throw out there that, yes, we know eastern Washington exists. For any people not familiar with Washington (I don't expect, for example, an Australian to know off-hand that there's a pretty sharp divide in this state's climate)1 I just wanted to point out that there is a difference.

I didn't mean to imply that I think they've got a nice climate- in fact I think quite the opposite, but I didn't want to come right out and say that- but I seem to have done my usual stellar2 job of communicating what I meant to communicate.

1Heck, I wouldn't expect someone on the east coast to know this.

2 Sarcasm.

ORione
2011-10-10, 10:19 PM
Let me explain the motivations behind my posting about the eastern half of our fair state.

The OP took something that applies to only western Washington and talked about it as if it applied to the entire state.

Western Washington does not have a crappy climate.

No offense intended. Eastern Washington really is very different from Western Washington; the split between Washington and Oregon should have been made vertically instead of horizontally.

I just felt regional pride and wanted to object to your implication that Western Washington has crappy weather.

Xondoure
2011-10-10, 10:24 PM
Ah rain, my old friend. Welcome back. Its so nice to see you I feel like we've barely talked. Please do tell about your long trip these past summer months? Oh really that sounds fascinating! I wish I could come. Whats that? You want to stay for the night? Sure no problem I'll roll out a futon. Oh the week too? Well as long as you're gone by- its looking like a month? Now I don't mean to be rude but shouldn't you find your own place? Its not like you pay rent or anything. But with the housing market as it is I guess I can make an exception. Oh, whats that? Itll probably be till next summer while you finish your degree? What degree? Hanging around too longology? No, no I'm sorry I didn't mean that. Really. Here you can have my bed tonight alright? See you in the morning.

So yeah, the good weathers gone south. On the plus side at least the passes get snow.

Gadora
2011-10-10, 10:29 PM
Western Washington does not have a crappy climate.

No offense intended. Eastern Washington really is very different from Western Washington; the split between Washington and Oregon should have been made vertically instead of horizontally.

I just felt regional pride and wanted to object to your implication that Western Washington has crappy weather.

Okay, I'm really confused now. When did I say anything that implied I thought that?:smallconfused: I love the climate here! (Did I imply that I was in eastern Washington? If so, sorry, I didn't mean to; I'm in the western half.)

Seriously, please point out to me where I said we had a crappy climate. I know I'm not all that great at communicating what I mean to say, and having an example of that pointed out to me will hopefully help me work through that.

ORione
2011-10-10, 10:46 PM
Okay, I'm really confused now. When did I say anything that implied I thought that?:smallconfused:

starwoof said that Eastern Washington had crappy weather. You thought (at least, that's how I interpreted your post) he meant that Eastern Washington had the same weather as Western Washington. Thus I thought that you thought that Western Washington had crappy weather.

I suppose it was a misunderstanding.

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-11, 12:26 AM

The OP took something that applies to only western Washington and talked about it as if it applied to the entire state. This is something that really ticks off quite a few people in eastern Washington, so I just wanted to throw out there that, yes, we know eastern Washington exists. For any people not familiar with Washington (I don't expect, for example, an Australian to know off-hand that there's a pretty sharp divide in this state's climate)1 I just wanted to point out that there is a difference.

I apologize profusely for my insensitive, inexcusable and downright shameful remarks. I should have titled this thread, "Gotta Love Gig Harbor, Pierce County, Western Washington, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe: Latitude: 47.3790 N - Longitude: -122.6426 W."
That way, I could have avoided any confusion.

Gadora
2011-10-11, 01:21 AM
I apologize profusely for my insensitive, inexcusable and downright shameful remarks. I should have titled this thread, "Gotta Love Gig Harbor, Pierce County, Western Washington, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe: Latitude: 47.3790 N - Longitude: -122.6426 W."
That way, I could have avoided any confusion.

:smallsigh: I've gone and put my foot in my mouth again, haven't I? Sorry, I'll just go back to lurking.

starwoof
2011-10-11, 04:31 AM
Yeah my point was argued nicely by ORione. Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

Its actually raining right now. I forgot what rain sounded like...

Keld Denar
2011-10-11, 06:55 PM
We had sunshine today, a bit further north. Never mind the fact that it was STILL raining while the sun was shining.

Western Washington, where it even rains on sunny days.

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-11, 07:08 PM
We had sunshine today, a bit further north. Never mind the fact that it was STILL raining while the sun was shining.

Western Washington, where it even rains on sunny days.

And not just sprinkles either. It was bright, sunny, and coming down in sheets.

MoonCat
2011-10-11, 11:25 PM
Fooooooooooooooooooog. Even heard a ferry foghorn, which I hadn't heard in a bit.

Keld Denar
2011-10-12, 12:18 AM
My boss told me that the most afraid he had ever been in his adult life was on a 24' fishing boat in the middle of the Sound and hearing a ferry fog horn. It doesn't matter who you are, that ferry has the right-of-way...and for a darn good reason!