PDA

View Full Version : Spell identification, help thread.

NOhara24
2011-10-03, 10:06 PM
A friend of mine in a current game, mentioned a spell he found, but he wont tell me what it is. He's only told me what it's effects are.

Apparently it gives a bonus to STR, DEX & CON, and gives a bonus to AC, but forbids the use of armor as long as it's in effect. Any thoughts?

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-05, 07:23 AM
Nothing immediately springs to mind; any other information?

the character's class? whether this is arcane or divine magic? what level the character is, at least, if not the level of the spell? there's hundreds to go through without narrowing it down or without knowing the spell off-hand.

Jack_Simth
2011-10-05, 07:27 AM
My initial response would be "Polymorph", but that's too easy of an answer.

Diarmuid
2011-10-05, 10:51 AM
What are the book limitations of the game? Have any other caster use Spellcraft the next time he casts it.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-05, 12:58 PM
Well, the spell animalistic power gives boosts to those ability scores, nothing about armor restiction, though.

Ashram
2011-10-05, 01:34 PM
Could be homebrew, and we're misinterpreting the term "found". Is the DM allowing spell research?

erikun
2011-10-05, 01:37 PM
I think there is a psionic power that sprouts wings out of your back, making it difficult to wear traditional armor.

However, I think you will be best at just asking the player what the spell is and where it came from. Especially in regards to specifics of the spell (can it target unwilling opponents?) you would be better at getting it from the source than asking us if anyone has heard of it.

CTrees
2011-10-05, 02:06 PM
My guess is either Polymorph (I could see a certain sort of person thinking he was clever for being secretive about something "so obvious, man!"), or 3rd party.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-05, 02:14 PM
Another possibility: What about a combo between a barbarian rage and feral trance (a class ability of fist of the forest)? Not a spell, but it would iirc give str, dex, and con bonuses and would also prevent armor use.

EDIT: Possibly using the whirling frenzy varriant of barbarian rage.

hangedman1984
2011-10-05, 02:32 PM
I'm assuming you are another player and not the dm, cuz otherwise he wouldn't really have the option of not telling you what it was if you asked

gbprime
2011-10-05, 03:35 PM
A friend of mine in a current game, mentioned a spell he found, but he wont tell me what it is. He's only told me what it's effects are.

Apparently it gives a bonus to STR, DEX & CON, and gives a bonus to AC, but forbids the use of armor as long as it's in effect. Any thoughts?

Could he be misreading the "Bite of the Were-" series of spells from Spell Compendium?

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-05, 03:49 PM
Yeah, my thought was similar to gbprime's - perhaps he is misreading the "Bite of the..." spells, or possibly even Transformation, which gives +4 Str/Dex/Con, +4 AC, and some other minor bonuses, but you can't cast spells.

Baldin
2011-10-05, 04:00 PM
The spell Dragonic might (lvl 4 paladin or 5 wiz/sorc) in Spell compendium does give +4 enchant bonus on str con and cha and +4 enchantment bonus on natural armor though nothing about no use or armor

marcielle
2011-10-05, 04:30 PM
Body of WAR from Spell Compendium? Turns you into a WARFORGED TITAN(basically, a Gundam that can't fly). Was he unable to cast afterwards? If so, this was likely it.

IIRC level 7 Wiz/Sorc.