PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Split Ray

PotatoNinja
2011-10-03, 10:23 PM
Pretty simple question, I'm making an encounter for my campaign, and i have a ray shooting psion. When he manifests this metapsionic power, does he pay for two rays (with the +2 cost in points to each one) or does he pay the point cost once, and then simply add 2 more points, and gain two rays?:smallredface:

I know this feat is not usually optimized, as a maximize can do better, but i'm not looking for optimization :smallbiggrin:

Sorry to pester the playground with such a basic question, but i'm having trouble reading the expanded psionic book and finding a clear answer. (also reading 6 chapters in a national security textbook, wooooo behind in reading!)

PN

Big Fau
2011-10-03, 10:34 PM
Pretty simple question, I'm making an encounter for my campaign, and i have a ray shooting psion. When he manifests this metapsionic power, does he pay for two rays (with the +2 cost in points to each one) or does he pay the point cost once, and then simply add 2 more points, and gain two rays?:smallredface:

I know this feat is not usually optimized, as a maximize can do better, but i'm not looking for optimization :smallbiggrin:

Sorry to pester the playground with such a basic question, but i'm having trouble reading the expanded psionic book and finding a clear answer. (also reading 6 chapters in a national security textbook, wooooo behind in reading!)

PN

Just once. You only pay for the feat itself.

Edit: And Split Ray is better than Maximize. Maximize is usually regarded as the worst Metamagic feat you can use on a Blasting ability, since Empower costs considerably less. In the case of Split Ray, you are doing 100% more damage (with variable damage amounts).

Keld Denar
2011-10-03, 11:04 PM
Split Ray is normally a +2 metamagic. Each +1 spell level generally equals +2 PP. So Psionic Split Ray should cost +4 PP.

Also, for most rays, Split Ray is generally a better deal than Maximize. Double dice is often slightly higher average damage. Take Enervation, for example. 1d4 averages 2.5. Maximized Enervation is 4. Split Enervation is 5. Also, Split Enervation has a higher maximum, if you get lucky with the dice.

Psyren
2011-10-03, 11:13 PM
Not to mention you can choose to aim at different targets (for the times you would want to do that.)

tyckspoon
2011-10-03, 11:16 PM
Split Ray is normally a +2 metamagic. Each +1 spell level generally equals +2 PP. So Psionic Split Ray should cost +4 PP.

Almost all the Psionic feats cost 2 PP less than a straight conversion from spell levels would suggest; it appears to be a discount for the additional cost of expending psionic focus to activate the feats.

Not to mention you can choose to aim at different targets (for the times you would want to do that.)

Psionic Split Ray actually requires this, unlike the standard spell metamagic version. It's still a really efficient metamagic, but it's a much more niche application.

Psyren
2011-10-03, 11:18 PM
Psionic Split Ray actually requires this, unlike the standard spell metamagic version. It's still a really efficient metamagic, but it's a much more niche application.

This was fixed in Pathfinder, explicitly letting you choose to aim both rays at the same target.

Did I mention how much I love those guys? :smallbiggrin:

PotatoNinja
2011-10-03, 11:36 PM
AH, thank you playground for the expedient replies, as always. It took me a second to realize, but in my studying stupor, i had forgotten simple etiquette, and this should have been posted under the Q&A sticky :smallredface:

Thanks for the explanation again, i guess i had been misinformed about maximize being slightly better. I feel silly, but it's better to be informed now than later i suppose.