PDA

View Full Version : Minor layout additions: Top and End of page links

Rawhide
2011-10-04, 12:00 AM
I don't know if I really need to make a whole thread about this, but many of you won't notice such a minor change which I've found to be very useful.

The end of the page can be a fair bit down and contains important information such as "Posting Rules", the date and time, Contact Us and Archive links, etc. (not to mention important moderator links). Now it's even easier to get there.

There's always been a link at the end of the page to take you to the top, now there's a corresponding link at the top of the page to take you to the end.

---

In addition, there is now a Top and an End of page link at the top of every post. Clicking either will take you to the top or end of the page. Clicking both simultaneously will take you to the top end.

Neftren
2011-10-04, 11:10 AM
So, two quick layout questions.

1) Is there a way to permanently "Hide Sidebar" instead of the current "Temporarily Hide Sidebar" while on the forums?

2) Is there a way to add a "Back to Top" button on each post?

Rawhide
2011-10-04, 11:14 AM
So, two quick layout questions.

1) Is there a way to permanently "Hide Sidebar" instead of the current "Temporarily Hide Sidebar" while on the forums?

1) No. Reasons for that are covered in the thread for that specific feature.

2) Not presently. But it is a feature I will keep in mind.

Rawhide
2011-10-05, 06:00 AM

This, and an End of page link, has now been added to the top of every post.

Sanguine
2011-10-05, 06:06 AM

Thanks Rawhide, that's really useful.

Jimorian
2011-10-05, 07:31 AM
In addition, there is now a Top and an End of page link at the top of every post. Clicking either will take you to the top or end of the page. Clicking both simultaneously will take you to the top end.

A man who understands the importance of error trapping. :smalltongue:

Neftren
2011-10-05, 09:25 AM

Rawhide, you're awesome. I will give you a million little ponies to celebrate this momentous occasion! Okay, if I had a million little ponies, but you get the idea.

You just made my life so much easier when browsing on my phone. :d

Rockphed
2011-10-05, 11:06 AM

Wow, that is, in my opinion, much more useful than the end and top buttons at the bottom and top of the page. It will probably take a while to get used to them though. I almost clicked both of them while trying to quote this post.:smallredface:

Icewalker
2011-10-05, 11:50 AM
Ooh, handy!

Experimentation has determined that middle click (to open new tab) on these buttons just functions like you clicked on em normally, taking to the bottom or top of the page. Although, right click: open in new tab works. (I feel that in many cases, you'll want to go check something like say in the first post without losing your place, so this maybe relevant, at least to me).

Spartacus
2011-10-07, 01:57 AM
On my Firefox, mouse3 opens a new tab that goes to the top/bottom.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-07, 05:10 AM
Lots of new fancy stuff lately, is it boring at work Rawhide? :smalltongue:

These are some very helpful features, thanks a lot!

horngeek
2011-10-07, 09:21 AM

...I just have to know...

How do you even do this?

Rawhide
2011-10-07, 10:38 AM
...I just have to know...

How do you even do this?

You can't. That's why no one can prove my statement incorrect.

Douglas
2011-10-07, 12:22 PM
Touch screens with multitouch.:smallbiggrin:

Even those would probably interpret it as clicking on one and then the other, though.

Keld Denar
2011-10-07, 09:29 PM
After having spent the day trolling this forum, I must say, I DO greatly approve of the new "top" and "end" buttons. Thank you very much!

Zherog
2011-10-07, 10:33 PM
But... trolling is against the rules...

;)

Rawhide
2011-10-07, 10:37 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/4/29/128855424907812609.jpg