PDA

View Full Version : Don't Attack Me!

DJ_Lycos
2011-10-04, 12:29 AM
I've been working up a mostly non-combat support type character for a pathfinder setting and I was wondering if there was a feat or some way to lessen the chance of being attacked by the enemy? Something maybe reverse of the feats Goad and Antagonize.

Safety Sword
2011-10-04, 12:32 AM
I've been working up a mostly non-combat support type character for a pathfinder setting and I was wondering if there was a feat or some way to lessen the chance of being attacked by the enemy? Something maybe reverse of the feats Goad and Antagonize.

Early on in your adventuring career you can probably get by with Sanctuary (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm) :smallcool:

deuxhero
2011-10-04, 01:10 AM
Try Stealth.

erikun
2011-10-04, 01:13 AM
Being invisible is nice.

Mastikator
2011-10-04, 01:16 AM
Don't look threatening.

BobVosh
2011-10-04, 01:34 AM
Diplomancy them.
Cry when they come close.
Bake banana bread, give it to them so they aren't hungry.
Take leadership, have them goad stuff :P

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-04, 01:36 AM
I wonder how well Vow of Peace/Nonviolence would transfer to Pathfinder?

Hirax
2011-10-04, 01:44 AM
Apostle of peace isn't a bad option if you can transfer it to PF. At level 2 they get a touch attack calm emotions that doesn't grant a save.

deuxhero
2011-10-04, 02:09 AM
Oh, reminding the enemies the caster is their first priority works (sort of...)

darkbuu_1
2011-10-04, 04:32 AM
There is a feat in the Players handbook 2 called Fade into Violence, it makes people want to hit your friends that are close by.

Getting it is easy enough, using it is a bit harder. You need nothing in your hands, light to no armour, not attacked yet and the guy has to be threatening you and one of your friends, then you can make an immediate bluff check on them.

Person_Man
2011-10-04, 12:16 PM
My suggestions:

Medal of Gallantry: +2 unnamed bonus Diplomacy, -2 Bluff, and Sanctuary 3 times per day as a Swift Action. The DC is pretty laughable, but Swift Action Sanctuary is still helpful at low levels. Comp Adventurer pg 134.

Combat Medic: This prestige class can add a "Healing Kicker" to any Conjuration (Healing) spell that you cast on an ally (which includes you, just as any Bard or aura effect that targets allies include you) PrC Level + Wisdom bonus times per day. The first level Kicker adds Sanctuary, with a Will Save DC of 15 + PrC level + Wisdom bonus to overcome (which is moderately difficult, especially for big/dumb Magical Beasts, Animals, Monstrous Humanoids, etc, and can be further modified with debuffs). Find a Swift Action Conjuration (Healing) spell somewhere, and cast it on yourself as needed. The PrC also fully progresses casting, but sadly requires Dodge and Combat Casting (which a nice DM will hand wave away). Heroes of Battle.

Hide in Plain Sight: To quote the SRD, "you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action." You can pick up Hide in Plain Site dozens of ways. The quickest way is 1 level of Warlock or Dragonfire Adept with the Darkness Invocation and the Adept of Darkness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352) feat from Drow of the Underdark, but there are many others (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=662842). If you're a caster or similar build that uses Standard Actions every round, just cast then Move and Hide every round. If not, then look into your Free and/or Swift Action movement options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

Mobile Spellcasting: If a spell is a Standard Action, you can make a Concentration check to move as part of the same action. Helpful if you want to cast Full Round Action spells like Summons while still Move/Hiding. Comp Adventurer pg 111.

Winged Warrior: As a Move Action you can create a hemisphere of concealment (for those in the cloud) and total concealment (for those trying to look into the cloud) around you. Cast a spell or whatever as Standard Action spell, use Mobile Spellcasting feat to move away from your enemies, and then use your Move Action to activate this feat and prevent any chance of a counter attack. Races of the Wild pg 153.

Dantalion: Requires 10 levels of Binder (and/or Binder PrC), or 8 levels and the Improved Binder feat. Grants a bonus to all Knowledge checks, Read Thoughts, Thought Travel (minor teleportation), and the Awe of Dantalion ability. Awe of Dantalion is a Move Action ability which prevents anyone from taking any hostile action against you for one round. It can only be used once every 5 rounds, but there is No Saving Throw – it just happens. The Scion of Dantalion prestige class greatly improves this vestige, and gives you two Save or Lose effects. Tome of Magic.

Zagon vestige: Requires 12 levels of Binder (and/or Binder PrC), or 10 levels and the Improved Binder feat. Grants Improved Grapple, Scent, Constrict, Snake Bane, and Aversion once every 5 rounds. Aversion is basically Antipathy (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Antipathy), an uber spell, except it only takes a Standard Action to activate, and only forces your enemy to move away from snakes (which you can create yourself with the Haures or Zceryll vestiges). Tome of Magic.

Flyby Attack + Ethereal: I think this is a cop out, but it's a fairly well known combo. Get natural flight. (Raptorian, Dragonborn, feats, whatever). Take the Flyby Attack feat. Then find a way to move through walls, such as any spell or effect which makes you Ethereal or Incorporeal - you can even do it with 2 Feats at 12th level: Shape Soulmeld (Phase Cloak) + Open Chakra (Shoulders). Fly toward enemy (through walls if needed), use a Standard Action spell/effect, fly away from enemy (through walls if at all possible). If enemies do not have line of sight to your square, they cannot target it. I've also seen variants of this with Burrow abilities.

Thiramon
2011-10-04, 01:18 PM
Be a devil. Or sell your soul. A nice DM works, too. ;)

Mark of Nessus (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1857-mark-of-nessus.html)

Gotta love that feat. :smallamused:

13ones
2011-10-04, 02:32 PM
I suggest rolling a 'support' rogue. Lots of points in Dex and then more into Stealth, Bluff, Diplomacy and then acrobatics. Become a sniper, take shadow dancer. Stealth anywhere, sneak attack, stealth again, repeat. They can't attack what they can't see.

DJ_Lycos
2011-10-04, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions...I've been reading up on the ones given to get a better idea of how I want to go about this.

Arbane
2011-10-04, 07:04 PM
Miserable Pity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/miserable-pity) spell?