PDA

View Full Version : How long to set up a trap?

Adamaro
2011-10-04, 04:46 AM
Is it anywhere specified how long it takes for a character to prepare a trap? There are prices for traps but I did not find setup time.

For an example, how long would it take for a kobold rogue to prepare a single CR1 trap?

tnx

Adamaro
2011-10-05, 03:34 AM
Holy heck! No one?

Feytalist
2011-10-05, 03:52 AM
I would think it follows normal crafting rules, laid out in the PHB.

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm):

To determine how much time and money it takes to make an item, follow these steps.

1. Find the item’s price. Put the price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp).
2. Find the DC from the table below.
3. Pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.
4. Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total reaches the price of the item in silver pieces.

Edit: Wait, hang on, you said prepare. In most cases I think crafting a trap would equal preparing the trap. Think of a pit trap. You have to actually dig the hole, and you can't really set it up somewhere else. So I think the above still holds. But for something like a bear trap... Dunno, full-round action? The combat trapsmith (PrC in CScoundrel) sets his traps as a full-round action. But those traps are noticeably weaker than a real crafted trap.

Amiel
2011-10-05, 03:54 AM
Traps are forever, when you set up a trap, you make a commitment.