PDA

View Full Version : The Scoundrel (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-10-04, 06:45 AM
The Scoundrel

http://old.enworld.org/Pozas/Pictures/Oddballs/human_rogue.jpg

HD: d8
Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble. Use Magic Device, Use Rope
Skill Points: 8 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Archetype, Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Lesser Archetype Power

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Underhanded Tactics, Sneak Attack +2d6

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Moderate Archetype Power

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Critical Strike, Sneak Attack +3d6

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Greater Archetype Power, Close Shave[/table]

Proficiencies: The scoundrel is proficient with light armor and bucklers. He is proficient with simple weapons, the rapier, the longsword, the shortbow, the short sword, the sap, and the hand crossbow.

Archetype: At 1st level, the scoundrel chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the list. Once made, this choice is final.

Sneak Attack: If the scoundrel can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The scoundrel’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the scoundrel flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two scoundrel levels thereafter. Should the scoundrel score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, the scoundrel can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty. The scoundrel may sneak attack non-living creatures, ones without discernible anatomies, or ones immune to critical hits, but his sneak attack damage is halved while doing so. The scoundrel must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. The scoundrel cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Trapfinding: The scoundrel can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. The scoundrel can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap typically has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. A scoundrel who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his allies) without disarming it.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, the scoundrel gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Underhanded Tactics: At 3rd level, the scoundrel gains a +4 to attacks made while flanking, instead of +2. The scoundrel also gains Evasion and Uncanny Dodge.

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, the scoundrel gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Critical Strike: At 5th level, if the scoundrel successfully sneak attacks an opponent who is completely unaware of his presence, the sneak attack damage is maximized. In addition, the scoundrel may choose to reduce its sneak attack dice when successfully connects with an attack - for every dice he chooses to give up, he inflicts a bleeding wound against his opponent that deals two damage a round for three rounds. These wounds stack up to three times.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, the scoundrel gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Close Shave: At 6th level, three times per day, the scoundrel may immediately choose to negate an attack that would otherwise have brought him to 0 or negative hit points, as if the attack had missed. He may then immediately take a standard action.

Archetypes:

Cutthroat
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/tob_gallery/99696.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A cutthroat gains the ability to initiate maneuvers as a swordsage of two-thirds his level. His maneuver progression (both known and readied) and his recovery mechanics are identical to the swordsage. The disciplines available to him are Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw, and one of the following: Black Lotus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217619), Coin's Edge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75548), Dancing Leaf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85614), Desert Wind, Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816), or Scarlet Rose (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7232363).
Moderate Archetype Power: A cutthroat may perform a coup de grace as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Greater Archetype Power: A cutthroat gains the Death Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm#deathAttack) ability.

Phantom
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sharn_gallery/84577.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A phantom may move at full speed without penalty when hiding and may take 10 on Hide and Move Silently checks, even if stressed or endangered.
Moderate Archetype Power: If a phantom is completely unobserved (allies excluded), he may become invisible for a number of rounds equal to his class level as a full round action. The invisibility ends if the phantom attacks any creature. This is a supernatural ability.
Greater Archetype Power: A phantom gains permanent 20% concealment and may hide in plain sight as long as there is a shadow within ten feet, excepting his own shadow.

Silencer
http://joshjarman.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/pzo1110-assassin.jpg?w=420&h=567

Lesser Archetype Power: A silencer is trained in the use of poison and never risks poisoning himself when applying it to a weapon. He may also apply poison as a swift action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity for doing so.
Moderate Archetype Power: The DC of any poison used by a silencer is increased by 2, and each application of poison lasts for two hits rather than being used up after one. In addition, he may force an opponent to reroll a save against one of his poisons once per encounter - he may do this after the result of the first roll is announced, but must abide by the result of the second.
Greater Archetype Power: A silencer becomes immune to poison, and may now overcome an opponent immunity to poison to a certain degree - against all opponents immune to poison, a silencer's poisons still apply, but only with half of their effect and with a -4 penalty to their DC. If the poison causes unconsciousness, it only causes the dazed condition instead against an opponent immune to poison.

Thief-Acrobat
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compscoundrel_gallery/102089.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A thief-acrobat gains a bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks equal to his class level. He also gains a base climb speed of 30 feet and need only move ten feet to get a running start.
Moderate Archetype Power: A thief-acrobat may take ten on all Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, even if stressed or endangered. He now no longer needs a running start when jumping, and may ignore falling damage of up to 60 feet.
Greater Archetype Power: A thief-acrobat does not provoke attacks of opportunity for moving through an opponent's threatened area, and gains Improved Evasion.

Umbral Scion
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToMagic_Gallery/96082.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: An umbral scion may use Shadow Magic fundamentals and mysteries as a shadowcaster of his level. He does not suffer arcane failure for casting while wearing light armor.
Moderate Archetype Power: An umbral scion gains bonus mysteries per day for having a high Intelligence score.
Greater Archetype Power: An umbral scion may choose one 4th-level mystery, and may cast it a single time per day.

Hanuman
2011-10-04, 01:01 PM
Haha, first thing I thought when I saw this on the list was "Scoundrel"? That sounds BALLSY to post here.

But it looks like you're re-doing content so established prestige flavors are redone as base classes?

gkathellar
2011-10-04, 04:05 PM
The assassin should really get an ability allowing him to bypass immunity to poison, and I sort of feel like Critical Strike should just be part of the Sneak Attack feature for roughly identical reasons. Otherwise, you run into the old rogue problem of, "and in this fight, you don't get to use your class features."

Lord Ruby34
2011-10-04, 04:16 PM
It doesn't say what the scoundrel's sneak attack damage actually is.

gkathellar
2011-10-04, 04:30 PM
It doesn't, but Critical Strike wouldn't exist if it were going to work on everybody, so it's safe to assume that the plan was for that to remain the same. I'm saying that should change.

Gnorman
2011-10-04, 04:56 PM
Haha, first thing I thought when I saw this on the list was "Scoundrel"? That sounds BALLSY to post here.

But it looks like you're re-doing content so established prestige flavors are redone as base classes?

Wha?

This is my E6 version of the rogue, basically.

The assassin should really get an ability allowing him to bypass immunity to poison, and I sort of feel like Critical Strike should just be part of the Sneak Attack feature for roughly identical reasons. Otherwise, you run into the old rogue problem of, "and in this fight, you don't get to use your class features."

I think that bypassing immunity to poison is a bit too powerful for an E6 game, but I will consider it. As for the second bit, you're right, I hate that too, and I will include it as part of the base Sneak Attack.

gkathellar
2011-10-04, 05:05 PM
I think that bypassing immunity to poison is a bit too powerful for an E6 game, but I will consider it.

What about downgrading the immunity to resistance? Maybe immune targets could halve the effects of poison, or gain a bonus to saves.

Gnorman
2011-10-04, 05:13 PM
What about downgrading the immunity to resistance? Maybe immune targets could halve the effects of poison, or gain a bonus to saves.

The halving effect is, coincidentally enough, what I just changed it to about ten minutes ago.

Ziegander
2011-10-04, 06:05 PM
The halving effect is, coincidentally enough, what I just changed it to about ten minutes ago.

I suggest giving the poison immunes a fat bonus to saves against the poisons as well, especially because many of the creatures that are immune to poisons have crappy fort saves and would become oddly easier to affect with poison than a lot of creatures, albeit to a lesser degree. I think a +5 bonus works.

Eldest
2011-10-04, 06:46 PM
Trapfinding is listed in the chart but not the text. Just a heads up.
Also, interesting note: the assassin prestige class can be entered at sixth level. And their Death Attack actually seems like it may work then.

Gnorman
2011-10-04, 08:10 PM
Trapfinding is listed in the chart but not the text.

This is because the class is still "in progress," meaning I haven't finished filling everything out yet. I know this, and am working on it.

Eldest
2011-10-04, 09:09 PM
Sorry, wasn't meaning to be a pest.

Gnorman
2011-10-05, 01:20 AM
Sorry, wasn't meaning to be a pest.

No offense intended, don't worry. I do appreciate the input, and I will get right on adding that in.

Eldest
2011-10-05, 07:15 AM
Maybe for the Close Shave power, give them the chance to do something else if they are not eligable for a hide check where they end up. Not sure what, though.

Gnorman
2011-10-06, 04:26 AM
All filled in and ready for serious review. The Con Artist (which should be a bard thing, I think) has been changed to the Phantom, a pseudo-supernatural shadow dancer style archetype for stealthy scoundrels.

Eldest
2011-10-06, 06:25 AM
For the Phantom...
Moderate- Does the completely unobserved mean your allies can't see you as well?
Greater- I'll get back to this once I know the rules for hiding and concealment.

On a completely unrelated note, where did you get the scoundrel picture from (at the top)? I've been trying to find a reference to use when making my own custom avatar, and that one seems perfect.

Gnorman
2011-10-06, 06:30 AM
For the Phantom...
Moderate- Does the completely unobserved mean your allies can't see you as well?
Greater- I'll get back to this once I know the rules for hiding and concealment.

On a completely unrelated note, where did you get the scoundrel picture from (at the top)? I've been trying to find a reference to use when making my own custom avatar, and that one seems perfect.

The moderate level was... um... my inspiration for it was Kel Mitchell's character from Mystery Men. So yeah. I don't want to start killing catgirls, but assume that you can use it when being observed by allies, because otherwise it'd be just silly. Like Kel Mitchell's character in Mystery Men.

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 07:07 AM
Cool stuff. Thief-acrobat still looks a little lackluster compared with the other two, but I may be undervaluing its distinct role.

Gnorman
2011-10-08, 06:53 AM
Cool stuff. Thief-acrobat still looks a little lackluster compared with the other two, but I may be undervaluing its distinct role.

It shines less in combat but I think the utility makes up for it - if there's a noticeable power gap, though, I can always throw a couple of bones its way.