PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Pathfinder Wizard Help!

Sunken Valley
2011-10-04, 11:18 AM
I'm making a wizard for a pathfinder game. It is set in the warhammer fantasy world. I have built my wizard purely through core (although APG is allowed), I've got the skills, feats and owl. But I'm trying to pick the school. Which school is the best? I'm leaning towards conjuration cause nobody else does that. Rest of Party is Paladin, Alchemist, Monk, Bard, Inquisitor and Fighter. Which school do I pick?

Also, more importantly, which schools do I limit? I'm thinking abjuration and necromancy (both only have two or three decent spells). But what would you say?

Flickerdart
2011-10-04, 11:25 AM
You can never go wrong with Conjuration. Not even then.

grarrrg
2011-10-04, 11:42 AM
Pathfinder you say?

BANRESTRICT DIVINATION!!

Because you can.:smallcool:

rwald
2011-10-04, 11:59 PM
Pathfinder you say?

BANRESTRICT DIVINATION!!

Because you can.:smallcool:

That's what I thought, when I built my Conjuration wizard. You know what spell is Divination now? Detect Magic. And you don't get opposition-school cantrips in your spellbook for free. So until you can find someone to let you copy from, you're going to be the only wizard who can't tell when magic is being used. Even then, preparing it will mean just 3 cantrips total (since nothing adds to cantrips memorized). I'm looking forward to 9th Level when I can take Opposition Research.

Eric Tolle
2011-10-05, 12:58 AM
Conjuration is an awesomely useful school, so you're on the right track. As for the schools to limit, Evocation would be a good one, since post 3.0 it's usefulness is limited. Being that the choice is really, do you want to be able to deal with the undead the gm will throw at you? Or do you want to charm the crowds of people who will want to hang you simply for being a wizard?

Eldariel
2011-10-05, 01:16 AM
Divination is godlike. Don't touch it. Abuse it. Now, schools to ban: Evocation & Enchantment are very good picks. Necromancy is an option too since many of the better Necromancies are nerfed in PF and you can use two slots to prepare False Lives later.