PDA

View Full Version : The Teddy Bear (Race, 3.5e, PEACH)

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-04, 01:41 PM
I stumbled across the demotivational thread, and I was bored. So I decided to homebrew.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/316169_195791780488129_152301921503782_471041_1483 075_n.jpg
Flee monster! Back! Back under the bed!
A Teddy Bear protecting his owner

Type: Living Construct

Ages: A Teddy Bear has no maximum age, however it is considered middle aged once it becomes 150 years old.

Size: Every Teddy Bear is created from a standard child's teddy bear. Perhaps it was a rich noble who wanted a novel toy for his child or a wizard learning to create living constructs. Whatever the reason, Teddy Bears are Tiny creatures because of it. They are about 1½ feet tall and weigh ½-2 lbs.

Languages: Common and one bonus Non-Secret language

Bonus languages: Any Non-secret

Speed: 20 feet base land speed

Names: Teddy Bears are most commonly given to young children. As such, they are likely to name them things such as Old Bear or Bramwell Brown.

Appearance: Teddy Bears are made of material and fluff; the material can be felt or fur of various colours ranging from brown to orange to green to red. The fluff is often cheap down or ragged wool. They also tend to look like bears.

Racial features: -4 to Strength, +2 to Dexterity. Teddy Bears are cute, but very weak, they also tend to dodge a little better than most.

Teddy Bears are Tiny creatures and thus gain the following effects: +2 size AC, +2 size attack bonus, +8 size modifier to hide, -8 size modifier to grapple, uses Tiny weapons, and its carrying capacity is ¼ of a Medium creature.

Racial Skills: +2 to Climb,Jump and Diplomacy checks, Intimidate and Disguise are always considered class skills.

Special Abilities: +2 vs Fear/Charm effects, DR 2/Piercing and slashing attacks.

Attacks of Opportunity are not provoked against the Teddy Bear when it moves into the same square as a monster. Distracting actions, however, still provoke AoO.

Guardian Of The Night (Su): When fighting against nocturnal creatures or creatures that live Underground, the teddy bear gains the following:

Any weapons wielded by the Teddy Bear deal damage as though they were one size category larger.
The weapons count as Silver or Good (Player's choice at the start of combat) for overcoming damage resistance. If the weapon is already silver or Good, this effect is ignored. This ability is usable once per day.
The Teddy Bear threatens adjacent squares as though it had a 5-foot reach.
Attacks of Opportunity are not provoked against the Teddy Bear via moving into or out of a threatened square. Distracting actions, however, still provoke AoO.
For 1d4 rounds, the Teddy bear is hasted as per the spell. After combat ends, the teddy bear is Fatigued for 10 minutes. If the teddy bear starts combat as Fatigued, the teddy bear becomes Exhausted for the same amount of time instead. This effect occurs even though a Teddy Bear is normally immune to fatigue/exhaustion. This ability is useable 3 times per day.
The Teddy Bear gains a +2 Insight bonus to Intimidate vs. the aforementioned monsters and takes no penalty for being smaller than the monsters.

Just A Harmless Child's Toy (Ex): A Teddy Bear can trick unknowing people into thinking it is a harmless child's toy. This only works on people without any form of "life" detection. If used before combat, this can be used to initiate a surprise round. This is useless in combat and against anyone who knows that the Teddy Bear is a Living Construct. Teddy bears gain a +8 Circumstance bonus to Disguise to pass themselves off as a harmless toy.

Stay away, monster! (Su): When a monster that the Teddy Bear can see is going to attack a child, it can force the monster to make a Will save (10 + ½ the Teddy Bear's HD + Teddy Bear's Charisma modifier). If the monster fails, it must attack the Teddy Bear.

Low-light Vision (Ex): The Teddy Bear gets low-light vision as per the elf ability.

Darkvision (Ex): The Teddy Bear gets darkvision to 30 feet, as per the half-orc ability.

Stuffed (Ex): Once per day, a successful Craft (Textiles) or Profession (Seamstress) or Profession (Tailor) skill can be used to repair 2 points per level of damage to the Teddy Bear (DC 10). All that is required are the proper materials: needle, thread, and appropriate stuffing material such as wool or straw. Multiple uses do not stack and the teddy bear gains no benefit from them. Any extra hit points gained in this manner are lost. This ability can also be used to reatach limbs or even the head, even if he has been healed via this ability all ready.

Climate Tolerant (Ex): Teddy bears suffer little harm from environmental extremes of heat or cold. They do not have to make Fortitude saves in extreme environments between –20° and 140° F (severe cold to severe heat). This ability does not provide any protection from fire or cold damage. This ability counts as if a teddy bear had the Cold Endurance feat for purposes of fulfilling prerequisites for other feats or prestige classes.

Improvised Weapons: "Toy" weapons/shields do not count as improvised weapons in the hands of a Teddy Bear.

Religion: Teddy Bears tend not to worship any gods (except the Great Madame Alexander or The God Steiff).

Favoured class: Knight

Morph Bark
2011-10-04, 01:46 PM
Instead of Tiny, to make them viable you could make them Small with Slight Build (saw Guardian of the Night just now). Also, why the uneven, 3.0 style of +3 and -3? And why no Dex bonus?

The magic/silver choice would be better as a 1/day thing, else it is too useful and thus too strong for LA+0.

Land speed 10 ft means it will get owned in a way it does not want to be owned as per usual really quickly.

Fisticuffs
2011-10-04, 02:00 PM
And why no Dex bonus? The magic/silver choice would be better as a 1/day thing, else it is too useful and thus too strong for LA+0.
Land speed 10 ft means it will get owned in a way it does not want to be owned as per usual really quickly.

Agreed could use some Dex.
Unless I read it wrong the silver/magic thing is ignored if you posses a magic weapon, so I don't think it's that overpowered.
What about a speed burst ability?

What about an ability that makes monsters focus on the Teddy instead of children?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-04, 02:21 PM
Instead of Tiny, to make them viable you could make them Small with Slight Build (saw Guardian of the Night just now).

Fluffed why that is and added a new ability to make up for it

Also, why the uneven, 3.0 style of +3 and -3? And why no Dex bonus?

No PC race is tiny so I had to improvise.

The magic/silver choice would be better as a 1/day thing, else it is too useful and thus too strong for LA+0.

Changed it to 1.5X Charisma modifier. It is also only useable against creatures that live/hunt in the dark.

Bumped that up to 20

Agreed could use some Dex.

Added.

Unless I read it wrong the silver/magic thing is ignored if you posses a magic weapon, so I don't think it's that overpowered.

Correct, but I changed it to 1.5X Char Mod, just to be safe.

What about a speed burst ability?

What about an ability that makes monsters focus on the Teddy instead of children?

Added.

Morph Bark
2011-10-04, 02:31 PM
No PC race is tiny so I had to improvise.

Kobolds are Small and have Slight Build (due to Web Enhancement). -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. If you combine that with Warforged modifiers due to living construct-ness, that'd be -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha. Since you want Teddy Bears to not have negative Cha, make it +2 Cha instead. The way you have it now is fine though.

In the end, I think this is a LA+2 race though, especially since it's already Tiny, but still threatens and has reach. It doesn't get AoO against it, making Tumble unnecessary to take for most of its purposes, Intimidation bonus as if Large (effectively giving it a bonus of +12 compared to like-sized creatures) and the magic/silver ability.

Stay away, monster! should require a check of some sorts.

What is the teddy bear's "BLS"?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-04, 02:43 PM
Kobolds are Small and have Slight Build (due to Web Enhancement). -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. If you combine that with Warforged modifiers due to living construct-ness, that'd be -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha. Since you want Teddy Bears to not have negative Cha, make it +2 Cha instead. The way you have it now is fine though.
Thanks, good to know, but I think I will keep it as is.

In the end, I think this is a LA+2 race though, especially since it's already Tiny, but still threatens and has reach. It doesn't get AoO against it, making Tumble unnecessary to take for most of its purposes, Intimidation bonus as if Large (effectively giving it a bonus of +12 compared to like-sized creatures) and the magic/silver ability.

Don't forget that this only effects a specific type of monster, aside from the speed burst, and is only effective against the monster. I.e, if the Teddy Bear was fighting a Vampire and an Ogre, only the speed increase would be effective on the Ogre. On the Vampire, however, all of the other effects, such as silver, intimidate bonus, weapon damage bonus would come into effect. Like wise the threatening part, if the Vampire entered the square next to the Teddy Bear, it would be threatened. If the Ogre were to enter the same square, provoking an AoO against the Vampire, it wouldn't be threatened.

Stay away, monster! should require a check of some sorts.

Opposed Will save Vs Teddy Bear's intimidation check?

What is the teddy Bear's "BLS"?
An acronym for "Base land speed". I'm tired, and it's easier to put down.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-04, 03:07 PM
I...will be watching this thread with great interest. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Is there anyway to mitigate that -4 Strength down to -2?

I mean, I know they're tiny and all but they're already going to have a crap carrying capacity as is.

Morph Bark
2011-10-04, 03:46 PM
I mean, I know they're tiny and all but they're already going to have a crap carrying capacity as is.

x1/2 that of a Medium charrie with the same Str score, while all items will weigh x1/4 that of Medium items.

While this means the carrying capacity of Small or smaller charries is less than a Medium's, this still means that they can carry more relatively to a Medium.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-04, 04:01 PM
Here's a little writeup as I see it.

Construct (Living Construct)
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Small: As a Small creature, a teddy bear gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Teddy Bears base land speed is 20 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A teddy bear can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Darkvision: Teddy bears can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
Slight Build: The physical stature of teddy bears lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a teddy bear is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the teddy bear is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A teddy bear is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A teddy bear can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a teddy bear remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
Climate Tolerant (Ex): Teddy bears suffer little harm from environmental extremes of heat or cold. They do not have to make Fortitude saves in extreme environments between –20° and 140° F (severe cold to severe heat). This ability does not provide any protection from fire or cold damage. This ability counts as if a teddy bear had the Cold Endurance feat for purposes of fulfilling prerequisites for other feats or prestige classes.
Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a teddy bear, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Diplomacy and Jump checks.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear and charm spells and effects.
Damage reduction 2/piercing or slashing. Teddy bears are somewhat plush and malleable.
Guardian Of The Night (Su): To select a creature as its charge, a teddy bear must remain adjacent to it for 4 consecutive hours. A teddy bear may only have one charge at a time and will serve that charge until he or she willingly "releases the teddy bear from service". As long as a teddy bear remains in control of its own actions and serves a surviving charge, it gains the following benefits.

-- A teddy bear's base land speed increases by 10 feet when moving towards its charge.
-- When its charge is within 120 ft, the teddy bear gains a +2 bonus to Strength and Intimidate skill checks, and the weapons it uses in melee count as silver, cold iron and magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Automatic Languages: Common, and any one other (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Bonus Languages: Gnome, Dwarven, Goblin, Elven, Gnoll, Orc, Halfing.
Favored Class: Knight. A multiclass teddy bear's Knight class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Teddy Bears age according to the following progression:

Adult @ 0 // Middle Aged @ 150 // Old ---- // Venerable ---- // Maximum Age ----

-------------------------------------

Living Construct subtype

A living construct is a new subtype of construct, a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Living constructs combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures, as detailed below.

Features: A living construct derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: A living construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).

Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.
Unlike other constructs, a living construct does not have low-light vision or darkvision.
Unlike other constructs, a living construct is not immune to mind-influencing effects.
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain.
A living construct cannot heal damage naturally.
Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action.
Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct.
A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
Can be raised or resurrected.
Does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-04, 06:24 PM
x1/2 that of a Medium charrie with the same Str score, while all items will weigh x1/4 that of Medium items.

While this means the carrying capacity of Small or smaller charries is less than a Medium's, this still means that they can carry more relatively to a Medium.

But that doesn't apply to loot for an adventuring Teddy though. A Full-plate set of armor weighs the same for Bob the Half-Orc as it would for Paddington.

@Andion: While that is a very nice write-up, it was the Guardian features that sold me on Sgt. Cookie's rendition.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-04, 07:30 PM
I...will be watching this thread with great interest. :smallbiggrin:

Hopefully you will enjoy it.:smallamused:

Edit: Is there anyway to mitigate that -4 Strength down to -2?

Sure there is, don't dump strength.

@Andion:

I won't quote the whole thing, but there are a few things I will say:

Size: A Teddy Bear is better off as a Tiny creature, it simply makes more sense fluff-wise. Slight build doesn't really work for me in "reducing" the size.

Vision(s): Can't believe I didn't think of that. Fighting creatures of the dark and all. I halved the dark vision distance though.

Climate: I just did a straight copypasta, so thanks for that.

Light fort-damage reduction: Don't really make sense fluff wise.

Languages: Decided to add the bonus part. Seemed like it would make sense.

Favoured class: Knight works much better fluff wise.

Edits: Craft (Textiles) can be used to repair the Teddy Bear, Stay away, monster! now has a check.

Morph Bark
2011-10-05, 02:05 AM
But that doesn't apply to loot for an adventuring Teddy though. A Full-plate set of armor weighs the same for Bob the Half-Orc as it would for Paddington.

Why would it apply to non-adventuring Teddies, but not to adventuring ones? :smallconfused:

Debihuman
2011-10-05, 04:02 AM

Not true. See the footnote in the armor chart. They cost the same but armor fitted for Small characters weighs half as much, and armor fitted for Large characters weighs twice as much.

Debby

Hanuman
2011-10-05, 05:07 AM
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5130/exiledteddy.jpg

Gratis of the Flowdancer Project.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-05, 05:39 AM
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5130/exiledteddy.jpg

Gratis of the Flowdancer Project.

I thank you for that, but for me it looses much of it's original flavour, no pun intended. The small size/slight build thing doesn't really work that well, I don't really think that something smaller than your knee should be able to wield the same weapon as a gnome or halfling. They are about three feet tall, the Teddy Bear is half that at most.

If people want me to I will restore the darkvision to 60'. It does seem to be the general consensus.

I don't really understand how light fortification works for the Teddy Bear. If it is due to the small size, then it would make sense. If ther was something else in mind, please let me know.

I understand the piercing "resistance", it wouldn't really hurt a being made of felt and fluff. Slashing however, that probably would not work out so well. It is only material, after all.

I might keep the +2 parts, it does make a more sense now that I have had some sleep.

Paladin class does not work all that well, Knight fits the "Protector" role much better.

I like the fluff, a lot. Perhaps an "Exiled" Teddy could be a subtype of Teddy Bear?

Andion Isurand
2011-10-05, 06:00 AM
Actually, the DR is overcome by piercing or slashing...
...it only reduces the damage sustained by bludgeoning weapons.

Light Fortification is a trait shared by Warforged and represents a lack of internal organs... and although I believe a Teddy Bear would have fewer internal parts and mechanisms than a Warforged... I wanted to keep the LA down.

Climate Tolerant was taken verbatim from the Neanderthal race (Frostburn), and I believe it should be more common among living constructs who should not be as sensitive as living creatures to the effects of temperature.

The bonus to Climb and Jump helps the teddy get back up on the bed after the mayhem.

The bonus against Fear and Charm helps the teddy stay loyal to its charge.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-05, 07:59 AM
Actually, the DR is overcome by piercing or slashing...
...it only reduces the damage sustained by bludgeoning weapons.

That makes sense... I think. Could you explain it a little more please? Or at least tell me which book it is in?

Light Fortification is a trait shared by Warforged and represents a lack of internal organs... and although I believe a Teddy Bear would have fewer internal parts and mechanisms than a Warforged... I wanted to keep the LA down.

While that may be true, it would take as much effort to slice off a Teddy Bear's arm as it would a normal, mundane one. So I don't think it would work that well.

Climate Tolerant was taken verbatim from the Neanderthal race (Frostburn), and I believe it should be more common among living constructs who should not be as sensitive as living creatures to the effects of temperature.

Makes sense for a Teddy Bear's fluff too, it's insides are, after all, fluff.

The bonus to Climb and Jump helps the teddy get back up on the bed after the mayhem.

The bonus against Fear and Charm helps the teddy stay loyal to its charge.

Both true, and are both added.

Anyone got anything to say about the Craft (Textiles) to heal the Teddy Bear?

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-05, 10:07 AM
Not true. See the footnote in the armor chart. They cost the same but armor fitted for Small characters weighs half as much, and armor fitted for Large characters weighs twice as much.

Debby

Emphasis mine.

Only Magic items resize for their owners.

A set of mundane, Full-plate armor meant for a medium creature weighs 50 lbs no matter what your size category is.

Debihuman
2011-10-05, 02:59 PM
A set of mundane, Full-plate armor meant for a Medium creature weighs 50 lbs no matter what your size category is. Considering the severely limited carrying capacity, it would be asinine to expect the teddy bear to lug it around.

A Tiny creature with a -2 penalty to Str isn't the one to carry the loot. Are they still Tiny or have they been resized to Small?

Debby

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-05, 03:03 PM
Considering the severely limited carrying capacity, it would be asinine to expect the teddy bear to lug it around.

A Tiny creature with a -2 penalty to Str isn't the one to carry the loot.

Debby

Which is why I'm non-directly pointing out why Tiny as a size, mixed with a strength penalty, can balance itself out.

A PC Teddy Bear would have to rely on expensive gear (bag of holding, portable hole, etc.), labor with an upkeep (donkey, hireling, effigy, etc.) or very kind and honest party mates in order to even function as a normal PC.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-05, 03:26 PM
@Debby: First post is most up-to-date. So yeah. Tiny and -4 penalty.

@Bendraesar: I can understand your point. Bump up carrying capacity to 4/10of medium?

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-05, 03:35 PM
@Debby: First post is most up-to-date. So yeah. Tiny and -4 penalty.

@Bendraesar: I can understand your point. Bump up carrying capacity to 4/10of medium?

Oh, no no, I was just trying to illustrate the balancing points of the Teddy's size by using a facade of someone who had a problem with the negatives when it comes to loot.

Hanuman
2011-10-05, 05:35 PM
I thank you for that, but for me it looses much of it's original flavour, no pun intended. The small size/slight build thing doesn't really work that well, I don't really think that something smaller than your knee should be able to wield the same weapon as a gnome or halfling. They are about three feet tall, the Teddy Bear is half that at most.

If people want me to I will restore the darkvision to 60'. It does seem to be the general consensus.

I don't really understand how light fortification works for the Teddy Bear. If it is due to the small size, then it would make sense. If ther was something else in mind, please let me know.

I understand the piercing "resistance", it wouldn't really hurt a being made of felt and fluff. Slashing however, that probably would not work out so well. It is only material, after all.

I might keep the +2 parts, it does make a more sense now that I have had some sleep.

Paladin class does not work all that well, Knight fits the "Protector" role much better.

I like the fluff, a lot. Perhaps an "Exiled" Teddy could be a subtype of Teddy Bear?

I don't put favored class that's not core in my pages, it's homebrew so you should be asking your DM anyway and can get any class you want. But that does bring to question what teddy bears special mounts are...

Yitzi
2011-10-05, 06:17 PM
Which is why I'm non-directly pointing out why Tiny as a size, mixed with a strength penalty, can balance itself out.

A PC Teddy Bear would have to rely on expensive gear (bag of holding, portable hole, etc.), labor with an upkeep (donkey, hireling, effigy, etc.) or very kind and honest party mates in order to even function as a normal PC.

I don't really think that having the strongest party members carry the loot requires them to be all that kind and honest.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-05, 09:50 PM
You know, aside from being cute, I don't think teddy bears should gain the +2 bonus to Charisma, given all the immunities they enjoy as a living construct.

Even though -4 Str, +2 Dex equals -2 overall...
the Warforged get +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 cha...
and that equals -2 overall

Perhaps they can get a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy to reflect their cuteness.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-05, 10:30 PM
I don't really think that having the strongest party members carry the loot requires them to be all that kind and honest.

When that party member is completely in their right to charge a service fee?

Yitzi
2011-10-06, 04:48 AM
When that party member is completely in their right to charge a service fee?

And then the rogue will charge a service fee for trapfinding and picking locks, the wizard will charge a fee for spellcasting, etc. etc.

In a party, everyone does what they're best at without fees. And that includes carrying party loot. (Not individually owned things, but why would a teddy bear need non-teddy-bear-sized items?)

Debihuman
2011-10-06, 05:02 AM
Working on the OP's ideas here's more of what these abilities do:

Type: Living Construct

Ages: A Teddy Bear has no maximum age, however it is considered middle aged once it becomes 150 years old.

Size: Every Teddy Bear is created from a standard child's teddy bear. Perhaps it was a rich noble who wanted a novel toy for his child or a wizard learning to create living constructs. Whatever the reason, Teddy Bears are Tiny creatures because of it. They are about 1½ feet tall and weigh ½-2 lbs.

Languages: Common and one bonus Non-Secret language

Bonus languages: Any Non-secret

Speed: 20 feet base land speed

Names: Teddy Bears are most commonly given to young children. As such, they are likely to name them things such as Old Bear or Bramwell Brown.

Appearance: Teddy Bears are made of material and fluff; the material can be felt or fur of various colours ranging from brown to orange to green to red. The fluff is often cheap down or ragged wool. They also tend to look like bears.

Racial features: +2 to Charisma, -4 to Strength, +2 to Dexterity. Teddy Bears are cute, but very weak, they also tend to dodge a little better than most.

Teddy Bears are Tiny creatures and thus gain the following effects: +2 size AC, +2 size attack bonus, +8 size modifier to hide, -8 size modifier to grapple, uses Tiny weapons, and its carrying capacity is ¼ of a Medium creature.

Racial Skills: +2 to Climb/Jump checks

Special Abilities: +2 vs Fear/Charm effects, DR 2/Piercing and slashing attacks.

Attacks of Opportunity are not provoked against the Teddy Bear when it moves into the same square as a monster. Distracting actions, however, still provoke AoO.

Guardian Of The Night (Su): When fighting against nocturnal creatures or those that live in low light or dark conditions or against those that hunt in them the Teddy Bear gains the following effects, but ONLY usable against those creatures:

Any weapons wielded by the Teddy Bear deal damage as though they were one size category larger.
The weapons counts as Silver OR Magic (Player's choice on combat start.
1.5X Charisma modifier/day, rounded down) for overcoming damage resistance. If the weapon is already magic or silver this effect is ignored. This ability is usable once per day.
The Teddy Bear threatens squares as though it were a Medium sized creature.
Attacks of Opportunity are not provoked against the Teddy Bear via moving into or out of a threatened square. Distracting actions, however, still provoke AoO.
Gains +4 Circumstance Bonus to ALL damage rolls against the monsters.
For 1d4 rounds, the Teddy bear is hasted as per the spell.
The Teddy Bear gains a +2 Insight bonus to Intimidate vs. the aforementioned monsters.

Just A Harmless Child's Toy (Ex): A Teddy Bear can trick unknowing people into thinking it is a harmless child's toy. This only works on people without any form of "life" detection. If used before combat, this can be used to initiate a surprise round. This is useless in combat and against anyone who knows that the Teddy Bear is a Living Construct. Teddy bears gain a +8 Circumstance bonus to Disguise to pass themselves off as a harmless toy.

Stay away, monster! (Su): When a monster that the Teddy Bear can see is going to attack a child, it can force the monster to make a Will save (10 + ½ the Teddy Bear's HD + Teddy Bear's Charisma modifier). If the monster fails, it must attack the Teddy Bear.

Low-light Vision (Ex): The Teddy Bear gets low-light vision as per the elf ability.

Darkvision (Ex): The Teddy Bear gets darkvision to 30 feet, as per the half-orc ability.

Stuffed (Ex): Once per day, a successful Craft (Textiles) or Profession (Seamstress) or Profession (Tailor) skill can be used to repair 2 points per level of damage to the Teddy Bear (DC 10). All that is required are the proper materials: needle, thread, and appropriate stuffing material such as wool or straw. Multiple uses do not stack and the teddy bear gains no benefit from them. Any extra hit points gained in this manner are lost.

Improvised Weapons: "Toy" weapons/shields do not count as improvised weapons in the hands of a Teddy Bear.

Religion: Teddy Bears tend not to worship any gods (except the Great Madame Alexander or The God Steiff).

I suspect that the Guardian of the Night ability is overpowered. If you want the Teddy bear to move faster, he can be hasted like any other creature. It should be limited to a number of rounds per day. I took the liberty of fixing it. Let me know what you think.

Also, there is no size bonus for being Large that adds to your Intimidate skill. It should be an Insight bonus and I'm guessing it is +2. Being large only affects the Hide skill.

Stay Away Monster should have a standard DC for supernatural abilities.

Intimidate and Disguise should be class skills for a Teddy bear. Also, does a Teddy bear have any weapons proficiencies?

Debby

Andion Isurand
2011-10-06, 05:28 AM
Stuffed (Ex): Once per day, a successful Craft (Textiles) or Profession (Seamstress) or Profession (Tailor) skill can be used to repair 1d4 points of damage to the Teddy Bear (DC 10). All that is required are the proper materials: needle, thread, and appropriate stuffing material such as wool or straw. Multiple uses do not stack and the teddy bear gains no benefit from them. Any extra hit points gained in this manner are lost.

Warforged repair: This is an 8 hour craft check, using one of several craft skills including armorsmithing. Upon completion the warforged heals (Craft check result - 15) hp. For a Warforged with max ranks in their chosen craft, no Int bonus, and a Warforged Repair Kit, who takes 10, this results in healing 1 hp per character level per 8 hours of repairing. Smart Warforged, or characters with skill focus, will heal a little bit more but not much.

Then of course there is aid another.

Warforged are much more complex and varied in their structure than a teddy bear, yet there seems no reason to limit the healing a teddy bear can receive, given enough of the right materials.

Whatever the skill used, I think the results (and/or difficulty) should scale with the advancement of the teddy bear.

Debihuman
2011-10-06, 06:38 AM
Stuffed (Ex): Once per day, a successful Craft (Textiles) or Profession (Seamstress) or Profession (Tailor) skill can be used to repair 1d4 points of damage to the Teddy Bear (DC 10). All that is required are the proper materials: needle, thread, and appropriate stuffing material such as wool or straw. Multiple uses do not stack and the teddy bear gains no benefit from them. Any extra hit points gained in this manner are lost.

Warforged repair: This is an 8 hour craft check, using one of several craft skills including armorsmithing. Upon completion the warforged heals (Craft check result - 15) hp. For a Warforged with max ranks in their chosen craft, no Int bonus, and a Warforged Repair Kit, who takes 10, this results in healing 1 hp per character level per 8 hours of repairing. Smart Warforged, or characters with skill focus, will heal a little bit more but not much.

Then of course there is aid another.

Warforged are much more complex and varied in their structure than a teddy bear, yet there seems no reason to limit the healing a teddy bear can receive, given enough of the right materials.

Whatever the skill used, I think the results (and/or difficulty) should scale with the advancement of the teddy bear.

Because it is a lot faster to mend a teddy bear. It doesn't take 8 hours to sew a Teddy bear up. At the same time, it isn't going to repair much damage. However, scaling it is probably a good idea. I will change that to 2 points per level of the Teddy Bear. However, multiple uses still shouldn't stack.

Debby

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-06, 07:37 AM
@Deby:
That, looks alot better. Thank you. *Replaces*

I suspect that the Guardian of the Night ability is overpowered.

How would you recommend nerfing it, while keeping the general idea?

[quote]If you want the Teddy bear to move faster, he can be hasted like any other creature. It should be limited to a number of rounds per day. I took the liberty of fixing it. Let me know what you think.

Looks good, certainly seems to work alot better.

Also, there is no size bonus for being Large that adds to your Intimidate skill. It should be an Insight bonus and I'm guessing it is +2. Being large only affects the Hide skill.

Understood.

Stay Away Monster should have a standard DC for supernatural abilities.

Really gonna have to commit that to memory at some point. :smallredface:

Intimidate and Disguise should be class skills for a Teddy bear.

Added.

Also, does a Teddy bear have any weapons proficiencies?

I was thinking short sword.

You know, aside from being cute, I don't think teddy bears should gain the +2 bonus to Charisma, given all the immunities they enjoy as a living construct.

Even though -4 Str, +2 Dex equals -2 overall...
the Warforged get +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 cha...
and that equals -2 overall

Perhaps they can get a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy to reflect their cuteness.

Agreed and changed.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-06, 08:58 AM
Tiny Creatures with Reach Weapons (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a)

As noted earlier, using a reach weapon doubles your natural reach. If your natural reach is 0, your reach is still 0 when you wield a reach weapon. As a variant, allow Tiny creatures a reach of 5 feet when they use reach weapons.

------------------------------------------------------

Extending Weapons (Su): Unless already a reach weapon, any weapon a teddy bear of tiny size wields in melee may extend when used to make an attack, allowing it to be used as if it were a reach weapon. This provides a teddy bear of tiny size with a reach of 5 feet and allows it to attack and threaten enemies within that reach.

Guardian Of The Night (Su): To select a creature as its charge, a teddy bear must remain adjacent to it for 4 consecutive hours. A teddy bear may only have one charge at a time and will serve that charge until he or she willingly "releases the teddy bear from service". As long as a teddy bear remains in control of its own actions and serves a surviving charge, it gains the following benefits.

-- A teddy bear's base land speed increases by 10 feet when moving towards its charge.
-- When its charge is within 120 ft, the teddy bear gains a +2 bonus to Strength and Intimidate skill checks, and the weapons it uses in melee count as silver, cold iron and magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

------------------------------------------------------

I still think you should go with Small Size & Slight Build.

The shortest female Kobold of small size, rolled using the book info, measures two feet tall.

If all teddy bears were two feet tall, I don't think that would be too big.

I'm 6'1" and 2" stands just one inch above the top edge of my knee cap.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-06, 09:42 AM
And then the rogue will charge a service fee for trapfinding and picking locks, the wizard will charge a fee for spellcasting, etc. etc.

In a party, everyone does what they're best at without fees. And that includes carrying party loot. (Not individually owned things, but why would a teddy bear need non-teddy-bear-sized items?)

That is really kind of a baseless assumption that does not necessarily pertain 100% to all actual parties, especially those that are of a more neutral or evil slant. I've been in or seen a lot of parties that charged service fees amongst each other one time or another (or claimed a portion of any loot that they had to carry).

And you're saying that the Teddy Bear has no right to claim any portion of the loot the group finds that isn't tailored explicitly for himself? :smallconfused:

Debihuman
2011-10-06, 12:48 PM
Here is how I would fix Guardian of the Night

Guardian Of The Night (Su): When fighting against nocturnal creatures or creatures that live Underground, the teddy bear gains the following:

The weapons count as Silver or Good (Player's choice at the start of combat) for overcoming damage resistance. If the weapon is already silver or Good, this effect is ignored. This ability is usable once per day.
For 1d4 rounds, the Teddy bear is hasted as per the spell. After combat ends, the teddy bear is Fatigued for 10 minutes. If the teddy bear starts combat as Fatigued, the teddy bear becomes Exhausted for the same amount of time instead. This ability is useable 3 times per day.
The Teddy Bear gains a +2 Insight bonus to Intimidate vs. the aforementioned monsters.

First, this ability should be useable only against certain creatures. No creatures hunt teddy bears specifically so that category is meaningless. Second, treating a weapon as silver or good isn't as powerful as treating it as magic. Third, since the teddy bear's weapon does damage as a Medium weapon, it doesn't need an additional damage boost. Being hasted should be tiring but it needn't be very detrimental. Also, I forgot to mention how often this could be used.

It isn't as powerful but I think it does what you want.

Debby

DracoDei
2011-10-06, 11:53 PM
The weapons counts as Silver OR Magic (Player's choice on combat start.
1.5X Charisma modifier/day, rounded down) for overcoming damage resistance. If the weapon is already magic or silver this effect is ignored. This ability is usable once per day.
You have an extra carriage return here.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-07, 08:02 AM
Here is how I would fix Guardian of the Night

For 1d4 rounds, the Teddy bear is hasted as per the spell. After combat ends, the teddy bear is Fatigued for 10 minutes. If the teddy bear starts combat as Fatigued, the teddy bear becomes Exhausted for the same amount of time instead. This ability is useable 3 times per day.

First, this ability should be useable only against certain creatures. No creatures hunt teddy bears specifically so that category is meaningless. Second, treating a weapon as silver or good isn't as powerful as treating it as magic. Third, since the teddy bear's weapon does damage as a Medium weapon, it doesn't need an additional damage boost. Being hasted should be tiring but it needn't be very detrimental. Also, I forgot to mention how often this could be used.

It isn't as powerful but I think it does what you want.

Debby

Cool, that works. It does do what I was aiming for, damage creatures that live and hunt in the dark. That is a part of teddy bear "lore" after all. Don't forget that a living construct is immune to fatigue/exauhstion. Perhaps it should be modified to:

For 1d4 rounds, the Teddy bear is hasted as per the spell. After combat ends, the teddy bear is Fatigued for 10 minutes, even if it would normaly be immune. If the teddy bear starts combat as Fatigued, the teddy bear becomes Exhausted for the same amount of time instead, even if it would normaly be immune. This ability is useable 3 times per day.

How about that?

@Draco, I know. It is being changed any way so it shouldn't matter that much.

Debihuman
2011-10-15, 06:59 PM
Cool, that works. It does do what I was aiming for, damage creatures that live and hunt in the dark. That is a part of teddy bear "lore" after all. Don't forget that a living construct is immune to fatigue/exhaustion. Perhaps it should be modified to:

For 1d4 rounds, the Teddy bear is hasted as per the spell. After combat ends, the teddy bear is Fatigued for 10 minutes, even if it would normally be immune. If the teddy bear starts combat as Fatigued, the teddy bear becomes Exhausted for the same amount of time instead, even if it would normally be immune. This ability is useable 3 times per day.

How about that?

@Draco, I know. It is being changed any way so it shouldn't matter that much.

That works. It would only be exhausted or fatigued for a short time because Living Constructs are normally immune. However, you could simply delete that portion of the text as well. I'd actually forgotten that Living Construct are immune to fatigue.

Debby

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-17, 10:10 AM
I think it should have some drawback, but that's just my thoughts on the matter. Fatigue/exhaustion is just the easiest and least troublesome way to do it.