PDA

View Full Version : Looking for monsters from Doctor Who

skycycle blues
2011-10-04, 02:25 PM
I think it would be really cool to adapt some of the monsters from Doctor Who into monsters in 3.5. If I had to guess, I'd wager that somebody has already done some work with some and I'm hoping that somebody could either direct me to them or work with me to create something.

Specifically, I want to make/find Daleks (constructs that shoot disintegration?), Weeping Angels, Headless Monks and The Silence (will saves to avoid compulsion effects?).

Veklim
2011-10-05, 03:12 PM
Hah!

Was thinking about this only a few hours ago... weird huh?

Daleks are begging for it, as are cybermen and indeed timelords, hrm... There could be some fun in trying to DnD-ify them I guess. I take it you have a Dr.Who fangroup to DM for...? Or is this just a 'personal think it should be done' kinda thing?

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-05, 03:34 PM
I remember someone on this forum recently posted Weeping Angel stats. CR 14. They were... appropriately terrifying.

Debihuman
2011-10-05, 05:07 PM
I posted the Weeping Angels; they're in my signature. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6009139&postcount=1

Debby

skycycle blues
2011-10-05, 07:12 PM
Them Angels are brutal.

I think Daleks would be pretty brutal too. They totally shoot disintegrates.

NichG
2011-10-05, 09:46 PM
Daleks would have high DR, resists, (possibly SR), and AC; something like Fire Shield for their ability to harm things in contact with them; something like the Aboleth ability to get the memories of things they've eaten (using the plunger, which can be used to administer a coup de gras only). And a ranged touch attack at will that either does raw typeless damage (fixed effect disintegrate), or involves a fort save like an actual disintegrate spell (more dice rolling, more swinginess). Super high Int, really low Cha, access to d20 Future skills.

The Vashta Nerada would be interesting. Basically can only attack things in 'shadowy light', or things standing between them and a light source. Tricky to run since you'd have to establish where people's shadows are. Statted as a swarm, probably give them the hellwasp Inhabit ability to possess something they kill.

Veklim
2011-10-06, 05:23 AM
Hrm, should be a lightning shield rather than fire, plunger stuff makes sense, you'd also wanna consider using things like levitate, divinations and some sort of self destruct system for a few variations (basically stat up several 'generations' of daleks as their abilities changed over the course of several series). Also, the disintegrate ability makes more sense as a static non-save value, only kicking in if the damage is enough to drop the target to 0 or fewer HP I reckon. Stops at-will disintegrate nastiness but still makes surviving these guys pretty hard.

The Vashta Nerada would be super-sweet, definitely a swarm, also certainly shadow creatures imo,

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-06, 10:13 AM
Ah, right. Thanks, Debbie. I've got to use those sometime.

Headless Monks don't seem too hard, and could be anything you want, really. Almost more of a template- change the type to aberration and add blindsight.

Worth noting that Dalak guns (in the new series, at least) don't actually disintegrate you. The effect looks more like a finger of death type spell to me.

Blynkibrax
2011-10-06, 02:06 PM
How about the Silence?

Nobody ever remembers those guys... Wonder why? :smallwink:

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-06, 03:06 PM
The problem with the Silence- and, to a lesser extent, Weeping Angels- in a D&D game is that a player isn't going to look away when he sees something ugly in a suit. He's going to charge.

Veklim
2011-10-06, 03:26 PM
So go with the flavour instead and use hide in plain sight. Mix that with either False Sensory Input or Psionic Modify Memory (both from Expanded psionics btw) and you can emulate The Silence really rather well I'd say.

Weeping Angels would work best using surround and ambush tactics, you can only look in one direction at a time. You would want to address the blindsense/tremorsense issues though, what exactly constitutes 'looking at them'?

NichG
2011-10-06, 06:14 PM
The Weeping Angels feel more like a trap or puzzle encounter to me honestly. You'd really want facing mechanics to handle them in a fight, and in the series it was pretty much 'if they get to you and get their action, you just lose'. What you might be able to do is something like 'All sighted creatures have the ability to daze Weeping Angels in a 60ft cone (also limited by the extent of their vision) at will, but doing so consumes a move action'. That sort of models 'facing'.

Then give the Weeping Angels a souped-up Roper ability to take many actions in a round if they aren't dazed, so the second you don't look at them it really sucks.

For the Silence, I ran an NPC with a power like that, but it wasn't really a combat thing. In the series the Silence weren't really that potent combat-wise anyhow (aside from the lightning bolt which is easily modeled by the spell of the same name or by Shocking Grasp), so it seems more like a non-combat power than something to really worry about when people are fighting (at which point no one is going to want to look away). Perhaps have something where any time you're distracted (i.e. any time you'd have to make a Concentration check to cast a spell), there's a chance you looked away and forgot you were fighting.