PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing Spells Quickly

Elric VIII
2011-10-04, 06:11 PM
For those interested in why:

We are at the climax of the Savage Tide campaign and I have just stumbled into some sort of anti-magic field that permanently dispells all buffs/ongoing magical effects. I'm playing a Buff-o-mancer, so the problem is apparent.

Normally, I wouldn't mind if my character blindly and stupidly wandered into this, but my DM essentially pulled a "rocks fall, everyone dies gets dispelled" on me.

Firstly, before entering this particular encounter I cast Divination, asking about the consequences of pursuing this particular action. He said that it was a good idea. Divination has a chance to be wrong, but a direct lie is not what happens on a failure.

Second, I had a Dragon Skeleton and it was ridden by a Mummy with the Axiomatic Creature spell cast on it and me, resulting in a telepathic link. I had also put a few buffs on the mummy. I had Arcane Sight (permanent) on myself, so I can detect magical auras. I sent the Dragon, ridden by/controlled by the Mummy (to whom I gave telepathic orders).

Nothing happened to them, so I decided to follow them and investigate the site (it was a failed Epic Gate location that we had to restore) up close. I also had the Foresight spell on me at the time (cast by me).

So, my DM immediately says that all of my buffs are gone, and there's nothing I can do about it. He didn't tell me that the buffs on my Mummy were gone and would not accept the fact that I would be able to tell this by my Arcane Sight. He also said that Foresight granted no warning, either.

I also have a Ring of Counterspells with GDM, Contingency GDM set to counter a dispel effect targetted at me, that is not stopped by my ring or my own counterspelling. I also have Divine Defiance, in case anything gets through.

Over half of my spells were personal buffs, representing a large gold and exp investment, as well. The rest are almost all party buffs and they won't last too long if that's all my character can do.

Basically, I have access to 1 CL 19 Gate, and 2 Wishes from Ring of 3 Wishes. I need to figure out how to refresh my spells for the day in a timely fashion (i.e. less than an hour, or so)

Keld Denar
2011-10-04, 06:32 PM
Depending on when you cast your buffs, you might be screwed. You can't get around the 8-hour recent casting limit. Period. If you cast a spell, you can't recover that slot until at least 8 hours of cooldown have past. No ands, ifs or butts. The only solution there would be to travel to a plane of fast time (Gate, or Wish for a Greater Planeshift) which would allow you to pass 8 hours of time in only a few minutes. This depends heavily on the presence of such a plane, and your characters in-game knowledge of it.

If you cast the buffs more than 7 hours ago, either Wish or Gate a creature who can cast Wish, and craft a magic item. You want a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll from Complete Mage. This allows you to "refresh" your spells in 1 hour, instead of 8 (but it only works every other day). Again, you are still bound by the 8 hour recent casting law, if it applies, but you don't have to get the full 8 hours of rest. Its only 3000g, so this'll cost you 1500 G and 5120 XP if you cast it yourself (5000 for the Wish, 120 crafting XP additional). Still, it'll only take 6 seconds to fabricate, after which you can nap for an hour, and be rejuvinated of all of your spells, minus the Gate or Wish effect used to get it.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-04, 07:16 PM
Doesn't it take at least an hour to just prep spells?

iDesu
2011-10-04, 07:28 PM
Would using the gate to access the ethereal plane, followed by using a wish for a scroll of genesis to make a fast time plane work?

Aegis013
2011-10-04, 07:48 PM
Keld Denar
EDIT: missed the 7 hour qualifier. Your plan is sound assuming that.

Mesidoomstalker
It only takes 1 hour to switch out a spell into a spell slot you still have. Getting used slots back still takes 8 hours.

Wish for a Scroll of Genesis to make a fast time flow plain (8 hours there = a few minutes here), and then cast gate to open up a portal to that location, hop through. Voila, new spells in a few minutes.

tyckspoon
2011-10-04, 07:55 PM
Doesn't it take at least an hour to just prep spells?

1 hour for a full spell load. Minimum time is 15 minutes to change between 1 and 1/4 of your spell slots, or to put a spell into a ready but unprepared slot.

Keld Denar
2011-10-04, 08:07 PM
Yea, I did forget something though. You would need 2 hours. 1 hour in the bedroll (to count for 8 hours of sleep), and 15 min-1 hour to prep your spell loadout. So, 2 hours, as long as you haven't cast any spells in the last 7 hours.

Elric VIII
2011-10-04, 08:50 PM
Depending on when you cast your buffs, you might be screwed. You can't get around the 8-hour recent casting limit. Period. If you cast a spell, you can't recover that slot until at least 8 hours of cooldown have past. No ands, ifs or butts. The only solution there would be to travel to a plane of fast time (Gate, or Wish for a Greater Planeshift) which would allow you to pass 8 hours of time in only a few minutes. This depends heavily on the presence of such a plane, and your characters in-game knowledge of it.

If you cast the buffs more than 7 hours ago, either Wish or Gate a creature who can cast Wish, and craft a magic item. You want a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll from Complete Mage. This allows you to "refresh" your spells in 1 hour, instead of 8 (but it only works every other day). Again, you are still bound by the 8 hour recent casting law, if it applies, but you don't have to get the full 8 hours of rest. Its only 3000g, so this'll cost you 1500 G and 5120 XP if you cast it yourself (5000 for the Wish, 120 crafting XP additional). Still, it'll only take 6 seconds to fabricate, after which you can nap for an hour, and be rejuvinated of all of your spells, minus the Gate or Wish effect used to get it.

That seems to be what I need, but does it work for a Cleric?

Even if it doesn't, this is a really awesome idea.

Keld Denar
2011-10-04, 09:01 PM
No. Clerics have to pray at a specific time of day chosen during character creation and somewhat dependant on your god. You are still subject to the 8 hour lockout though.

Elric VIII
2011-10-04, 09:04 PM
No. Clerics have to pray at a specific time of day chosen during character creation and somewhat dependant on your god. You are still subject to the 8 hour lockout though.

So, are there any fast-time planes in greyhawk?

dextercorvia
2011-10-04, 09:48 PM
So, are there any fast-time planes in greyhawk?

Plane shift to a plane where dawn (or whichever you chose) is eminent. You don't even need fast time unless you are bumping against the recent casting limit.

Dracolexi (RotD) have an ability that will refresh an arcane spell slot (but not a prepped spell) regardless of the recent casting limit. It can only be used on a character once per day, however.

Elric VIII
2011-10-04, 10:04 PM
Plane shift to a plane where dawn (or whichever you chose) is eminent. You don't even need fast time unless you are bumping against the recent casting limit.

This is a good idea, is there any way to find out where it is dawn before gating?

Chilingsworth
2011-10-05, 12:32 AM
This is a good idea, is there any way to find out where it is dawn before gating?

Knowledge (the Planes) check.

Also, I've played the Savage Tide campaign through. I assume you're in it's final act judging from your character level. I remember an anti-magic field, but I don't remember it actually dispelling spells that enter it. :smallconfused:

Then again, maybe my DM pulled his punches on that one.

dextercorvia
2011-10-05, 08:01 AM

This, or any number of Divinations.

Elric VIII
2011-10-05, 11:07 AM

This, or any number of Divinations.

Conveniently enough, I have ranks in Knowledge (the Planes) and a 4th level Pearl of Power for my Divination spell.

Thank you.