PDA

View Full Version : Truebreath Adept (Hellfire Warlock Equivillent)

Tryxx
2011-10-04, 07:50 PM
The Truebreath Adept

Entry Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks
Special: Greater Invocations

Hit Die: d8
Skills: As Dragonfire Adpet

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Draconis fundamentum, truebreath +2d6|+1 level of existing invoking class|

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Truebreath +4d6, relentless breath|+1 level of existing invoking class|

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Truebreath +6d6, dragonwall|+1 level of existing invoking class|[/table]

Draconis fundamentum (Ex): Truebreath Adepts grow the draconic gland draconis fundamentum which allows them to utilize their truebreath and dragonwall abilities. As a result of this biological connection a truebreath adept must wait 1d4 rounds after using their truebreath or dragonwall breath abilities before doing so again.

Truebreath (Sp): Whenever you use your breath weapon class ability you may choose to utilize the truebreath effect. When your truebreath ability deals damage it deals your normal breath weapon damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level. In addition, this damage is searing damage, which ignores the resistance to fire of creatures affected, and causes affected creatures with immunity to fire to still take half damage. (See Sandstorm pg. 53 for more details on Searing damage)

Invoking: At each level, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with your breath weapon, and an increase in your invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the dragonfire adept class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Relentless breath (Su): Starting at 2nd level, you may use your total combined dragonfire and truebreath adept levels when calculating the Reflex save DC of your breath weapon.

Dragonwall Breath(Sp): At 3rd level you may utilize your normal fire, frost or force breath effect with the dragonwall breath ability. Using dragonwall breath allows you to create a Wall of Fire, Wall of Ice, or Wall of Force as a 10th level sorcerer. However, you may only create a wall in an area that would normally be affected by your breath weapon with the appropriate breath effect. Also you may use the save DC of your breath weapon for the reflex save of your Wall of Fire and Frost. A truebreath adept may only have one wall active at a time.

My thoughts below: (Comments appreciated)

The goal for this prestige class is to give the Dragonfire Adept a bit of love that it dearly deserves.

Flavor: I really wanted the flavor of this class to stay close to the true dragon, and I think the draconis fundamentum does that beautifully.

Metabreath feats: Another bonus is that it gives some reason to the increased damage, but more importantly the recharge time on the new breath effects. It's my intention to allow another means for a character to access metabreath feats without straying too far away from the DFA path.

Battlefield control: With or without Entangling Exhaustion, a DFA is pretty well built for battlefield control, and I think emphasizing that with the Wall spells is quite in line with the DFA, and a fair sight better to use than Exhaled Barrier.

DC Increase: I struggled with this one for a bit, but with the DFA's limited offensive capabilities, and the nature of the prestige class I feel it's justified

Overall: I used the Hellfire Warlock as a guide when looking at the power of this class, and it was fully my intention for the Truebreath Adept to come out on top. What follows is personal opinion, and your mileage my vary, but overall I believe the DFA trails behind the Warlock in power and utility and the relative increase in power caused by this class offsets some of that. Without the penalty of CON damage when using truebreath or dragonwall breath you have a fairly heavy hitter with some nifty control abilities, but all these nice things are still in the same normal skill set of the DFA, and I believe that facts keeps it in line with the Warlock's larger invocation list and crafting ability.

Edit: Added skills, just saying same as DFA, though the skill list should probably be trimmed down some. Not entirely sure what to remove, though.

cthulhubear
2011-10-04, 08:09 PM
I would originally think that is crazy op. But then I realized it doesn't have eldritch glaive which is incredibly useful, the drawback for it is actually much harder to overcome than it seems (overcoming Hellfire's problems only requires a few levels in binder/ incarnate or numerous kinds of spells, I don't think there's very many options for overcoming waiting for breath to recharge.)

Tryxx
2011-10-04, 09:45 PM
I would originally think that is crazy op. But then I realized it doesn't have eldritch glaive which is incredibly useful, the drawback for it is actually much harder to overcome than it seems (overcoming Hellfire's problems only requires a few levels in binder/ incarnate or numerous kinds of spells, I don't think there's very many options for overcoming waiting for breath to recharge.)

Actually, there is a feat in Draconomicon that I forgot about - Recover Breath. Either way, raising the die on re-charge time is probably a good idea. Not sure on what to settle on yet, though.

Fako
2011-10-04, 10:25 PM
Recover Breath would only change it from 1d4 rounds to 1d3 rounds, which isn't too big of a concern in my opinion... Exact text states that you can use the breath weapon one round sooner, but must always wait at least one round before using it again...

Considering most fights rarely go over 6 rounds or so, I don't see it being a very big problem...