PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer//Favored Soul Gestalt - Spell list help

Kittenwolf
2011-10-04, 09:02 PM
Hey all. I've just been accepted into a Gestalt game involving creatures from various different planes turning the Prime into a nice big messy battleground (plus a few Prime armies going at it as well).

I'm playing a lvl 12 Kobold Sorcerer//Favored Soul and the prospect of trawling all my books for a decent spell selection for a dual spontaneous caster is.. a mite bit daunting :)
Any chance of some assistance?

Character sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330334), and the Prestige class I'm using is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10305)

PrC Notes:
Standout abilities are:
* Cha to HP rather than Con
* Two (three at later levels) free metamagic feats, can swap them for another 1/day with 10 min meditation
* Can burn additional spontaneous spell slots when I metamagic a spell, rather than increasing spell level (can only get one "free" metamagic at a time)

Character Notes:
* Dragonwrought Kobold with Greater rite of passage (Loredrake not allowed)
* Gold Wyrmling familiar via Dragon Familiar feat (I've got it a level early, so she'll have a negative level until I hit the proper level). Just couldn't resist the chance to be a Kobold mounted on my familiar
* Plan is to trigger my Karma bead in the morning after prepping spells and presist up a bunch of things (such as Mass Lesser Vigor and Dragon's Breath (possibly empowered)) and then go standard spellchucker during the day.

Hoping I can pull of the full range of spellchucker roles to at least some degree, I figure I should have enough spells known to at least be reasonable across the board.
Not really interested in Gishing, but I figure with Persistant spells I should be able to have at least a few combat options when I don't feel like burning spells (Empowered Persistent Dragon's Breath, shared with my familiar, should do pretty well for mook-blasting without using more spell slots).

Also very much considering taking Seed of Life from Complete Champion and persisting that in the morning. Fast healing 2 and can end the spell as a standard action for 1d4 per round remaining in immediate healing (so with persist, it'll be Fast Healing 2 and standard action "Go straight to full HP" :) ).

GM has also OKed Knowstones so low level spells from other spell lists are also viable for me once I get some gold :D

Any suggestions? :)

tyckspoon
2011-10-04, 09:12 PM
:smallconfused: I'd try thinking of good spell suggestions, but I'm struck by the fact that your plan, while sound, doesn't work at all. I mean, metamagic mitigation is cool, and double spontaneous with this is neat 'cause of the flexibility to apply to either your arcane or divine spells whichever way you choose.. I just don't see how you're going to make it work with Persistent Spell.

1st Problem: The prestige class requires you to use a metamagic that you know. You do not have Persistent Spell recorded as a feat. You don't even have its prereq, Extend Spell.

2nd Problem:
you may apply the benefits of any one metamagic feat you know to that spell, as long as the metamagic feat would not increase the spell’s level by an amount greater than half the level of the expended spell slot.

Persistent Spell has a whopping +6 slot adjustment. You'd have to use a 12th level slot to pay that one off.

Onikani
2011-10-04, 09:13 PM
I play a sorc/SS mystic theurge in a level 15 game.
It's not quite as good as gestalt (for obvious reasons, mainly i'm casting 6th level spells in both).

But the combo i've grown to enjoy is something like:
Sorc:
Lots of combat spells and movement spells:
Summon Monster, Orb of Something (CArc), Teleport and (eventually) Planeshift
(YMMV on Planeshift, but we are spending half the campaign in the Abyss).

Shaman:
These spells are mainly reserved for Buffs, and back-up heals:
Animalistic Power (and its mass version form the PHB2), and Cure Serious Wounds always make the list.
With things like Dispel Magic popping in as necessary...

Also, I've found the feat Sudden Maximize (CArc) to be amazing with this build...

Hope this helps!

Kittenwolf
2011-10-04, 09:30 PM
1st Problem: The prestige class requires you to use a metamagic that you know. You do not have Persistent Spell recorded as a feat. You don't even have its prereq, Extend Spell.

They're in the "Notes" section, I'm using the Living Arcanum bonus metamagic feats for Extend/Persist, then swapping them to Energy Sub/Admixture after doing the persisting.

2nd Problem:

Persistent Spell has a whopping +6 slot adjustment. You'd have to use a 12th level slot to pay that one off.

Ah, after reading through carefully, you're right ><
I'd thought it boiled down to adding the metamagic increase to the spell level, and expending an additional slot equal to half that. I got the half side of the equation wrong. Hrm. That makes that ability a lot less powerful than I thought, even something low like Empower requires a forth level slot.

That blows those plans out of the water ><

*Edit*
May need to decide whether to swap to a Sponaneous Cleric rather than Favored Soul. My Reflex save would hit the floor and I'd have less spells per day, but I'd get turning for DMM, spells one level earlier, and more spells known (once you count domains).
Hrm...

Kittenwolf
2011-10-06, 08:27 PM
Ok, have spoken to my GM and he's allowed me to swap from Favored Soul to Cloistered Cleric (Spontaneous variant). So with DMM Persist I'm back to being able to persist at least a couple of spells.

I've got less spells to choose now since most of my Cleric spells known will come from my domains, but does anyone have any further suggestions?

Kittenwolf
2011-10-07, 11:00 PM
Ok, a start has been made on the spell list:
I'm now a Sorcerer/Living Arcanum//Cloistered Spontaneous Cleric :)
I have DMM Persist, so I'll be able to persist a couple of spells each morning.

Domains: Knowledge, plus two of Cold, Air, Dragon, Good, Protection (decision not made yet).

Sorcerer Spells

0) Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Dancing Ligts, Arcane Mark, Open/Close, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Mending
1) Magic Missile, Grease
2) Alter Self, Mirror Image, Wings of Cover
3) Shivering Touch, Shrink Item
4) Dragon Breath, Polymorph, Wings of Flurry
5) Ruin Delver's Fortune
6)

Cleric Spells

0) Create Water, Detect Poison, Purify Food & Drink, Mending, Cure Minor Wounds, Inflict Minor Wounds, Light
1)
2)
3)
4) a) Seed of Life
5)
6) Heal

Any further spell advice?

ghost_warlock
2011-10-08, 04:53 AM
I'm currently playing a similar build in a game right now, using my shadowmage (see sig) PrC'd into shadowcraft mage. Currently 12th level. I'm pretty much the only caster in the party so I'm responsible for all buffing, blasting, utility, and heals. Action economy is, obviously, a major problem for me (mitigated slightly by the belt of battle from magic item compendium) so I've been trying to stock up on favored soul spells with a swift or immediate casting time. Eventually, I'll be heading into contemplative and divine disciple on the favored soul side to snag some domains (travel and trickery, for teleport and time stop, respectively).

Favored Soul spell list.
0 - Amanuensis, create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, guidance, light, mending, purify food and drink, read magic.
1st - comprehend languages, cure light wounds, protection from evil, remove fear, scholar's touch (RoDe), lesser vigor (SC).
2nd - benediction (CC), bewildering visions (CC), lore of the gods (CC), share talents (PHB2), silence, stabilize (SC).
3rd - magic vestment, mass resist energy (SC), mass resurgence (SC), sonorous hum (SC), vigor (SC), mass lesser vigor (SC).
4th - assay spell resistance (SC), delay death (SC), restoration, sheltered vitality (SC), mass shield of faith (SC).
5th - break enchantment, life's grace (SC), righteous wrath of the faithful (SC), greater vigor (SC).
6th - greater dispel magic, heal, vigorous circle (SC).

Edit: In case it matters, my character worships Mouqol from complete divine; traded out the weapon feats for the thing from PHB2 that grants temporary hp when I cast spells on allies.

Kittenwolf
2011-10-10, 07:54 AM
Thanks ghost :) I'll take a look over those spells since there's a few I don't immediately know the effects of.

Before looking at those, my list is now looking like this:

Sorcerer

0) a) Read Magic, b) Ghost Sound, c) Dancing Ligts, d) Arcane Mark, e) Open/Close, f) Mage Hand, g) Prestidigitation, h) Ray of Frost, i) Mending
1) 2+ a) Magic Missile, b) Grease, c) Silent Image
2) a) Alter Self, b) Mirror Image, c) Wings of Cover, d) See Invisibility, e) Mirror Image
3) 1+ a) Shivering Touch b) Shrink Item, c) Heart of Water
4) a) Dragon Breath b) Heart of Earth, c) Wings of Flurry, d) Ruin Delver's Fortune
5) a) Teleport, b) Wall of Stone, c) Draconic Polymorph
6) 1+ a) Greater Dispel Magic

With Knowstones of Mage Armor & Shield.

Cleric Spell List

0) 2+ a) Create Water, b) Detect Poison, c) Purify Food & Drink, d) Mending, e) Cure Minor Wounds, f) Inflict Minor Wounds, g) Light
1) 4+ a) Shield of Faith
2) 2+ a) Divine Insight, b) Close Wounds, c) Substitute Domain
3) 1+ a) Mass Lesser Vigor, b) Tongues, c) Magic Vestment
4) 1+ a) Death Ward, b) Divine Power, c) Delay Death
5) 2+
6) 1+ a) Heal

Domains: Cold, Protection, Knowledge
Protection domain granted ability is subbed out for the Spontaneous Restoration ACF