PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Ranged Core Paladin v Divine Hunter

Mad Gene Vane
2011-10-04, 09:33 PM
Was thinking of playing a ranged Pally.

Looked at Divine Hunter from UC. I don't see the advantage of this archetype over a ranged Pally using Core rules.

Divine Hunter loses aura of courage(immunity to fear), aura of resolve (immunity to charm effects) and aura of justice (extend smite evil to nearby allies) for the ability to share Precise Shot (aura of courage) and later Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot and Deadly aim (for auro of justice) with allies within 10 feet and some issues about cover rules for those within 10' for aura of resolve.

The Divine Hunter seems to only make sense, if you are in an archer heavy party.

The ranged LoH ability at 6th level is nice, as is getting Percise shot as a bonus feet, but it the swapping out of the above mentioned auras doesn't seem to a good trade off in my opinion.

If anyone's had a chance to play a Divine Hunter or if you just like sharing an opinion (:smallbiggrin:), I was curious what your thoughts on the archetype are versus a regular Paladin.

Kira_the_5th
2011-10-04, 10:36 PM
One of the players in my Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign is playing a Divine Hunter, and the entire party's thankful for the "Aura of Not-Shooting-The-Party-Magus-in-the-Backside" ability, particularly the party Magus. That said, they're only at 3rd level right now, but it's certainly coming in handy now. As for the later abilities, I always pictured it going with Leadership, getting a squadron of archers to fire mass volleys, given the paladin's natural charisma.

Mad Gene Vane
2011-10-05, 04:31 AM
Hadn't thought about taking Leadership and getting a cohort/companion. That could provide an interesting wrinkle for a campaign, sort of like Xena and Gabrielle or Batman and Robin.

BobVosh
2011-10-05, 05:54 AM
Also from the side of the DM it allows for archer volleys that can hit.

Retech
2011-10-05, 07:15 AM
Using a regular Paladin is strictly better. Divine Hunter is a trap, like the new cloistered cleric.