PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Rogue... with a Wizard Dip?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-04, 10:17 PM
So... one of my players has a low CHA Rogue, but really wants to use UMD, which I told him was an excellent strategy. He is a finesse rapier/buckler rogue, and wants a wand bracer and wands for his buckler hand.

Is it worth him to take a 1 level dip of Wizard, just to auto-succeed on every wand that comes of the wizard spell list?
+2 to Will saves seems nice as well, some cantrips, a few first level spells...

Seeing as that next session they are going to level up to level 2, I said I would get some second opinions, but that it seemed a decent idea to me...

So Playground, is it a good idea to take a Wizard dip?

Thanks all!

Human Paragon 3
2011-10-04, 10:30 PM
The dip is a good idea, IMO. He takes a hit to BAB in exchange for all those great at-will cantrips and auto-success on wands. I assume he has a good Int, and a quirk of the pathfinder rules lets him continue buying ranks at 1-for-1 skill points with wizard. It might even be a good chance to pick up some skills not usually available to rogue and get the +3 trained bonus on them.

It delays rogue class features, but those level 1s and wands will come in handy.

On the other hand, he will be able to UMD just fine with a mediocre con after a few levels. He can take skill focus UMD if need be. Feats are plentiful in pathfinder.

The Gilded Duke
2011-10-04, 10:32 PM
Yes. Make sure to get a familiar. Familiars use all of your skill ranks if yours are better. Cats and house centipedes also give you a +3 bonus to stealth. Also, wood wizard might be one of your best options. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/elemental-arcane-schools/wood

Get +1 stat in one of your physical ability scores. And the splintered spear's bleed effect can be quite nasty at low levels.

Keegan__D
2011-10-04, 10:35 PM
That depends on whither he has either of those as a favored class.

I recommend he look at the Spell Compendium if you're okay with it. There are some great early-level spells for rogue/wiz.

Edit: Missed the "(PF)" in the title >.<

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-04, 10:42 PM
That depends on whither he has either of those as a favored class.

I recommend he look at the Spell Compendium if you're okay with it. There are some great early-level spells for rogue/wiz.

In the case of pathfinder, all favored class means is some more hit points/skill points. In the case of a one level dip, one hit point/skill point.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-04, 10:55 PM
as for all the 3.5 advice, like spell compendium... sorry, we try not use use that... stuff.

also, Gaurd Juris, im not sure what you mean when you say he can UMD just fine with a mediocre con after a few levels...

Also, remember that if you roll a 1 on a UMD check, you auto-fail and cant use the magic device for 24 hours. This is also an important, but overlooked part of UMD, that can be overcome with a single level dip into your caster of choice.

Talentless
2011-10-04, 11:03 PM
as for all the 3.5 advice, like spell compendium... sorry, we try not use use that... stuff.

also, Gaurd Juris, im not sure what you mean when you say he can UMD just fine with a mediocre con after a few levels...

Also, remember that if you roll a 1 on a UMD check, you auto-fail and cant use the magic device for 24 hours. This is also an important, but overlooked part of UMD, that can be overcome with a single level dip into your caster of choice.

It is a very good idea for a low CHA rogue.

Especially because the BAB loss becomes negligible due to True Strike (wand, or is it 1rst level? haven't checked in a while.)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-04, 11:16 PM
well, without items or skill focus: UMD (which could be obtained as soon as level 3, if other feats weren't better) this player is stuck at +4 at the moment (level 1, 10 CHA) and wouldnt be able to reach a competent UMD score for many levels... even with Skill Focus, by level 8 would have +14... fairly good, but not great. I would want at least +18... still succeed on wands unless I auto-fail on a roll of 1.

thanks for the advice everyone!

Treblain
2011-10-04, 11:39 PM
I don't know PF, but in 3.5 he can take a level of cleric with the Magic Domain and get access to cleric and wizard items, right?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-05, 12:37 AM
I don't know PF, but in 3.5 he can take a level of cleric with the Magic Domain and get access to cleric and wizard items, right?

yeah... I dont know... I looked, but I havent read anything thats says its possible, or works that way in PF. I asked about the option of Cleric, but I think he'd rather go with wizard for the flavor.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-10-05, 01:35 AM
There is a 1st level spell that acts like invisibility. That is amazing for rogues.

ericgrau
2011-10-05, 01:35 AM
Becoming the party knowledge monkey on top of other skills isn't bad either. If he really likes the ray casting in a few levels he can consider arcane trickster. No need to rush into it though, or to ever go beyond wizard 1 at all. Just another option if he feels like it, with some great tricks added in PF.

Doorhandle
2011-10-05, 02:58 AM
Probably worth it.

He could get by with just minor and major magic though, and through that he can still get a familiar, and to top it off, that would mean his abilities would scale with his class levels!

Although he wouldn't get access to the spell list, which is kinda the point...