PDA

View Full Version : quick question: seeking cool sounding fiendish word

Kol Korran
2011-10-05, 07:16 AM
Guy, Alon, Tomer, Ariel, stay out!
for anyone reading my log- the post contain a (small spoier), you've been warned!

so... my party wil lsoon reach the end of the campaign ,where they'll face an entity called Throne and/or Crown (leaning towardsthe previous, has better sound). this is a sort of ancient evil fiend that was imprisoned yada yada yada...

i'm pondering giving it a "Real" name, one in the fiendish tongue. however, my players have a tendency (well most players at large do) to make fun of names that sound strange to them. especially ones of villains.

my track record with this isn't good, so i thought to perhaps ask your help. my 2 questions are:
- should i give this guy a real name, or be content with a title?
- if a name is appropriate, do you have a suggestion for a cool sounding, hopefully evil sounding as well name?

thanks a bunch!
kol. :smallwink:

Etcetera
2011-10-05, 08:10 AM
Not strictly what you're looking for, but quite fun. (http://www.paper-dragon.com/fantasyland/daemon.html)

DoctorGlock
2011-10-05, 11:24 AM
You can pull from Ars Goetia, they got 72 names, descriptions and titles for each one. Just be careful not to use one that was recycled in Tome of Magic.

Ursus the Grim
2011-10-05, 02:40 PM
Players can make fun of any name. Its an instinct. That being said, German and Latin work pretty well as a baseline if you actually want it to mean something.

For instance, some ominous words in German. . . .
Beast/Zombie/Monster: Scheusal
Demon: Teufel
Forest Demon: Schrat
Witch Cauldron: Hexenkessel

Foreign languages can be a great way to get yourself started. Also a good way to avoid being too attached to a word you make up. Alternatively, pick a random word from the nearest object (aside from your computer) and scramble those letters until satisfied. Works better with longer words.

Pureleaf: Luperaefe
Celebrate: Baeltrece
Environotes: Seirontovne

Nothing amazing, of course, but it almost seems authentic.

Specific examples
Meaning:German:Scramble
Throne:Thron :Ehront
Crown: Krone :Norwc

Telonius
2011-10-05, 02:50 PM
If your players are familiar with real-world occult stuff, "Throne" might be a little bit misleading. Within Western tradition, a throne is a class of angel (kind of like archangel, cherubim, or seraphim). Though if you're portraying him as some kind of a Fallen, that's perfect.

Kol Korran
2011-10-06, 01:56 AM
@ Ursus the Grim: those are interesting approaches. the german sounds very close to english, and i doubt my players will notice (they won't find any written mentions of it's name) as to the scarmlbe... i'll try and play with it a bit more.

@ Telonius: my players aren't really THAT familiar with angle mysticism (nor am i). and though this guy isn't an angel, he is a sort of that ancient kind of power.

thanks for the suggestions!

ILM
2011-10-06, 05:17 AM
How about a random name generator?

http://donjon.bin.sh/name/#fiendish_male
http://dicelog.com/yafnagen

supermonkeyjoe
2011-10-06, 05:56 AM
If it's a really terrible ancient evil power then its name will most likely be ******* Make a fortitude save vs deafness / will save vs insanity /reflex save vs being knocked prone at the sheer force of the terrible evil unpronounceable name.