PDA

View Full Version : Building a non-casting archer (thrower) ranger

fracas
2011-10-05, 07:30 AM
I'm using a Ranger variant that loses spells but gains a d12 hit die and druid-like animal companion progression. My current idea is just a basic composite longbow sniper build, using the companion mostly for utility and as a mount/off-tank. Key being flexibility. On the other hand, the idea of a thrower archer is interesting and I'm running out of good core archery feats. I have open book access but DM likes to keep things generally not too far from the SRD.

Also, magic is banned in this setting. It exists, but we can expect to be burned as witches if we're caught using it. There are nonmagic item upgrades that give basic magic-like bonuses (+2 attack, +2 damage, etc). Therefore, no cleric multiclassing.

The 3.5 Ranger Handbook seems very basic and the Ranger20 build it links to doesn't work.

Currently I've got a stoutheart halfling with 18/17/14/14/14/10 abilities coming out to 15 str, 20 dex, 14 con, 14 int, 14 wis, 10 cha. Not currently planning on leadership but I'm open to suggestions.

Feats:
Stoutheart: Point-Blank Shot
1: Precise Shot
3: Mounted Combat
6: Greater Manyshot

Only lvl 3 so far, but planning for 6.

Questions:
1. What feat paths would be good for archery vs throwing and secondary scout duties? I've seen a few throwing builds in the past but not finding them now (user error I'm sure but still).

2. Any way to avoid damage reduction completely wiping out my damage output? Blasting a bunch of d6 arrows (remember I'm small-sized) or d1 (heh) shuriken seems like a recipe for being useless vs constructs.

3. Major PrCs I'm looking at are Master Thrower, Halfling Outrider, and Wild Plains Outrider. Any of those clearly better than the others? I can see merit in all, and Master Thrower could combine well with the others...

Darrin
2011-10-05, 08:28 AM
1. What feat paths would be good for archery vs throwing and secondary scout duties? I've seen a few throwing builds in the past but not finding them now (user error I'm sure but still).

The three most popular strategies for thrower-based builds:

A) Get into Master Thrower and take Palm Throw. The only build that springs to mind is Keld's Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11).

B) Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle). Thunderous Throw allows you to treat all your thrown attacks as melee attacks, so you can open up the cans of Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper whoopass. Choco's Katana Chucker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134276) looks like lots of fun.

C) Hulking Hurler, but this requires getting to at least large size, and then quickly degenerates into throwing anti-osmium planetoids for umpteen-gazillion damage. Definitely not something I'd recommend for a halfling.

2. Any way to avoid damage reduction completely wiping out my damage output? Blasting a bunch of d6 arrows (remember I'm small-sized) or d1 (heh) shuriken seems like a recipe for being useless vs constructs.

See if you can get your hands on Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a).

Gloves of Endless Javelins (7000 GP, MIC p. 194) would also work. [Force] damage, thus they bypass DR. Ask your DM if they can be used with Palm Throw.

Have you considered a Swift Hunter build? It doesn't actually bypass DR, but it does open up your favored enemies to precision damage, and the bonus damage makes archery more viable. Ranger 3/Scout 3 is a good lead-in to a basic Scout 4/Ranger 16 Swift Hunter build. If you're willing to wait a little longer, you can get skirmish damage without any Scout levels via Highland Stalker, taking Swift Hunter at ECL 9:

Ranger 4/Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Highland Stalker 6/Ranger + 9

3. Major PrCs I'm looking at are Master Thrower, Halfling Outrider, and Wild Plains Outrider. Any of those clearly better than the others? I can see merit in all, and Master Thrower could combine well with the others...

Beast Master + Wild Plains Outrider + Halfling Outrider is the basis for the Supermount (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11606873&postcount=8) build, although that uses Paladin as a base. I'm not sure if you can kitbash ranger in there, although there are a few PrCs that can give a ranger a paladin-like "Special Mount" ability. Investing all those resources into a mount-based build isn't going to leave much room for ranged combat.

If you go the Master Thrower route... I'd take a look at Warsling Sniper in Races of Faerun, although you'll probably want to dip Fighter 2 first to pick up Exotic Weapon Proficiency, then dip Exotic Weapon Master for Close-Quarters Ranged Combat.