PDA

View Full Version : rust monster as animal companion or mount

Dr.Epic
2011-10-05, 05:01 PM
Basically, what classes allow me to acquire a mount or animal companion such as a rust monster so that it gains additional HD? I like rust monsters in that they can rust stuff, but even making a handle animal check to make one your pet has its flaws in that at higher levels its low HP can result in it dying with one hit. So how can basically make it so a rust monster is my animal whatever and it gains more HD?

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-05, 05:28 PM
They have advanced HD rules. Just advancing the HD on one to 15 should up the toughness.

One scroll of PAO will do the trick.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-05, 05:32 PM
One scroll of PAO will do the trick.

PAO?:smallconfused:

Onikani
2011-10-05, 05:34 PM
Basically, what classes allow me to acquire a mount or animal companion such as a rust monster so that it gains additional HD? I like rust monsters in that they can rust stuff, but even making a handle animal check to make one your pet has its flaws in that at higher levels its low HP can result in it dying with one hit. So how can basically make it so a rust monster is my animal whatever and it gains more HD?

Rust monsters are aberrations.
Except for maybe Alienist (been a while since ive read it, but it's in CArc) i don't think any classes/PrC's allow it.
Some feats or homebrew stuff may get you there, but its not gonna be very easy...

SamBurke
2011-10-05, 05:35 PM
PAO?:smallconfused:

Polymorph Any Object.

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-05, 05:39 PM
PAO (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), a scroll will set you back 3000gp.

You can turn a creature into another creature, and if they are close enough the effect is lasts until dispelled.

The effect can turn a creature into another creature with a limit of 15HD. Funny that a max HD rust monster has 15HD. How convenient.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-05, 05:43 PM
Rust monsters are aberrations.

Yes, I know that. That's why I'm wondering if there's a PrC for that.

Except for maybe Alienist (been a while since ive read it, but it's in CArc) i don't think any classes/PrC's allow it.
Some feats or homebrew stuff may get you there, but its not gonna be very easy...

Aw man. I guess I should check out Alienist.

PAO (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), a scroll will set you back 3000gp.

You can turn a creature into another creature, and if they are close enough the effect is lasts until dispelled.

The effect can turn a creature into another creature with a limit of 15HD. Funny that a max HD rust monster has 15HD. How convenient.

Cool cool. Will check out.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-05, 05:49 PM
As for the PAO option, I'm pretty sure you can only polymorph things into "average" examples of whatever creature, no advanced creatures, no templated creatures, no elite creatures, etc.

As for other methods: I believe the Arms and Equipment Guide (Granted, 3.0) had information on rust monsters as mounts and might also have had info on them as paladin special mounts.

I also think there's an "abberant companion" feat somewhere that lets you get certain abberations as an animal companion. I could be wrong. I'd look in some of the Ebberon sourcebooks, and in Lords of Madness.

EDIT: Oh, and Alienist definately doesn't let you get a rust monster. (probably, rust monsters are too "normal" for such characters to pay attention to, heh.) What that PrC does do is to let you apply the pusedonatural template (the non-epic version) onto your familiar, and iirc turns you into either an outsider or an abberation as a capstone. Oh, and really hurt your sanity.

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-05, 05:50 PM
See if you can find a way to make the rust monster immune to dispell and greater dispell magic, as they will end the effect, and putting you out of the money for the scroll.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-05, 05:50 PM
I also think there's an "abberant companion" feat somewhere that lets you get certain abberations as an animal companion. I could be wrong. I'd look in some of the Ebberon sourcebooks, and in Lords of Madness.

Oh sweet! Will have to check out lords of madness then as well.

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-05, 06:03 PM
A spell parrying armor spikes mouth pick are enough to make the rust monster immune to targeted dispell effects of the normal and greater variety.

Urpriest
2011-10-05, 08:49 PM
It's not on the list of Beast Heart Adept (Dungeonscape) companions, sadly, but it would be completely thematic and I as a DM would allow it when creatures of comparable CR are gained.