PDA

View Full Version : Are the prestige classes in APG and Core Rulebook it? (pathfinder)

Mockingbird
2011-10-05, 05:50 PM
Hi, I was wondering, has pathfinder released any other prestige classes? The ones that are in Advanced Player's Guide and Core Rulebook seem to be mostly for bards, paladins and casters. Thanks!

Fax Celestis
2011-10-05, 05:52 PM
The race books (off the top of my head, Elves and Gnomes at least) have some, as does Psionics Unleashed.

Mockingbird
2011-10-05, 06:05 PM
The race books (off the top of my head, Elves and Gnomes at least) have some, as does Psionics Unleashed.

Thanks.

Also, when I said "mostly for bards, casters and paladins", I'm gonna replace paladin with rogue.. o_o

Arcane Archer- ranger
Arcane Trickster- rogue
Assassin- rogue
Dragon Disciple- caster
Duelist- best suits rogue
Eldritch Knight- caster
Loremaster- bard
Mystic Theurge- caster
Pathfinder Chronicler- bard
Shadowdancer- rogue
Battle Herald- bard/cavalier?
Holy Vindicator- paladin
Horizon Walker- ranger
Master Chymist- awesome (alchemist)
Master Spy- rogue
Nature Warden- ranger
Rage Prophet- oracle
Stalwart Defender- fighter

5 for rogue, 3 for casters, 3 for bard, 3 for ranger, 1 for paladin, 1 for alchemist, 1 for fighter.
Nothing for the rest of the classes.
Prestige class get, Paizo?

Frosty
2011-10-05, 06:55 PM
Pathfinder focuses more on archetypes than PRCs, which I think is the right direction to go.

CTrees
2011-10-05, 07:32 PM
On the SRD, under prestige classes, there's the section, "other Paizo." These are official, first party PF prestige classes, and there are a fair bunch. Mostly crap, though good for flavorful npcs. *shrug* Paizo likes the archetypes more.

ericgrau
2011-10-05, 07:57 PM
Thanks.

Also, when I said "mostly for bards, casters and paladins", I'm gonna replace paladin with rogue.. o_o

Arcane Archer- ranger
Arcane Trickster- rogue
Assassin- rogue
Dragon Disciple- caster
Duelist- best suits rogue
Eldritch Knight- caster
Loremaster- bard
Mystic Theurge- caster
Pathfinder Chronicler- bard
Shadowdancer- rogue
Battle Herald- bard/cavalier?
Holy Vindicator- paladin
Horizon Walker- ranger
Master Chymist- awesome (alchemist)
Master Spy- rogue
Nature Warden- ranger
Rage Prophet- oracle
Stalwart Defender- fighter

5 for rogue, 3 for casters, 3 for bard, 3 for ranger, 1 for paladin, 1 for alchemist, 1 for fighter.
By "rest of the classes" you mean barbarian and monk. Well I suppose there's also cavalier, gunslinger and inquisitor. PF made monk more martial than it used to be, and barbarian has always been such. The other 3 are mostly martial too. I mean you can continue to get the bonus feats elsewhere and more uses per day and power of the base abilities aren't essential.

Arcane archer and dragon disciple are still martial classes in spite of the gi****ude PF added. Eldritch knight is still gish. Rage prophet is gish. Anyone martial could go into stalwart defender. So the above 5 martial could go into most of those. Likewise the base classes for the other PrCs aren't set in stone and could often be swapped. Thanks to a recent discussion I'm doing an oracle/holy vindicator/stalwart defender damage soaker.

grarrrg
2011-10-05, 08:07 PM
Core Prestige (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook)

Non-Core Prestige (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo)

Third Party Prestige (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-prestige-classes)

Psyren
2011-10-05, 09:41 PM
Pathfinder focuses more on archetypes than PRCs, which I think is the right direction to go.

This. I recall a quote from one of the designers along the lines of "any Wizard of high enough level should be an 'Archmage' - creating a new class for it is redundant."

Frosty
2011-10-05, 11:48 PM
This. I recall a quote from one of the designers along the lines of "any Wizard of high enough level should be an 'Archmage' - creating a new class for it is redundant."
I think a lot of Archmage powers are now available as feats yes?

Ashram
2011-10-06, 12:20 AM
I think a lot of Archmage powers are now available as feats yes?

Kinda, but dumbed down.

Also, Paizo is just slightly hypocritical of the whole "prestige classes are overdone" thing: Their core set of rules has very few prestige classes, but if you look into their legitimate campaign setting there are tons of them, many of them easily adaptable to core rules.

Then again, they also said, "Magic items and spells are overdone", as well. At least they kept their word on the magic items part. :smallsigh:

BobVosh
2011-10-06, 12:29 AM
I just wish they made new items to replace all the old wondrous items if they don't plan on releasing a lot of em.

Ashram
2011-10-06, 12:50 AM
I just wish they made new items to replace all the old wondrous items if they don't plan on releasing a lot of em.

Not to go too far off topic, but they basically said, "We gave you the rules to make new magic items in the core rulebook, or you can just take the ones from 3.5 and convert them if they need it."

Then again, one of the books slated for next year is Ultimate Equipment...

BobVosh
2011-10-06, 01:05 AM
Ah yes, the sames rules in 3.5

My thing is it just is spells as items. Stuff like the tree token is what I want more of. Fun and interesting. Items were one of the better changes for 4ed, other than 1/day on em.

Tree token is my go to example, as to make it from the only spell I could find would require like a 200 or 180 CL.