PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Starwulf
2011-10-05, 06:48 PM
A great man passes from the world, hopefully his successor can live up to his legacy. He was arrogant, but he was brilliant, and the world needs more brilliance right now :-(

Haruki-kun
2011-10-05, 06:57 PM
As an animation major, I am eternally grateful to him for having helped Pixar get going in its early stages and believing in them. They might not even be where they are if it hadn't been for him.

RIP

Mindfreak
2011-10-05, 06:57 PM
http://m.gizmodo.com/5838847/steve-jobs-is-dead

Good bye Steve Jobs,
You will be missed.

Also: Nice Ninja skills on the thread.

Grif
2011-10-05, 07:03 PM
Och. A loss to the world, most certainly.

RIP.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-05, 07:10 PM
Rest in peace Mr. Jobs. You will be missed.:smallfrown:

Creed
2011-10-05, 07:12 PM
The special news blurg interrupted Jeopardy, and at first I was all, "NEWS! WHY YOU NO HAPPEN ON COMMERCIAL BREAK!?!?" and then I realized Steve Jobs died so I came onto GiTP to talk about it.
After finishing Jeopardy of course.

Mindfreak
2011-10-05, 07:25 PM
The special news blurg interrupted Jeopardy, and at first I was all, "NEWS! WHY YOU NO HAPPEN ON COMMERCIAL BREAK!?!?" and then I realized Steve Jobs died so I came onto GiTP to talk about it.
After finishing Jeopardy of course.

It interrupted me during Jeopardy as well.
It was a sad, but informative interruption.

Orzel
2011-10-05, 07:27 PM
*cuts apple pie and leaves it untouched*

RIP, Mr Jobs.

Cobalt
2011-10-05, 07:28 PM
This makes me very sad.

Noctemwolf
RIP Jobs. It's too bad, really.

Seerow
Holy ****. I heard a little bit ago someone joking about Jobs being killed by the illuminati, and dismissed it as bull****.

Then I come around and see this. Apparently there is a grain of truth buried even in the bull****.

arguskos
2011-10-05, 07:29 PM
Bringin' the afterlife iPads since 2011.

Revolutionize on, Steve. /salutes

Ranger Mattos
2011-10-05, 07:35 PM
RIP Steve Jobs. Your innovation will be missed.

Frankelshtein
2011-10-05, 07:37 PM
Rest in peace Mr. Jobs.

Metahuman1
2011-10-05, 07:39 PM
Fair you well Mr. Jobs, and may you find peace and enlightenment on the other side. Your legacy of creation and innovation shall last for as long as there is an Apple Computer Company.

Tychris1
2011-10-05, 08:00 PM
I don't buy that he's dead. They've probably uploaded him into a Ipad while they construct a Death machine for him to operate. He'll outlast Microsoft in his new metallic form, or at the very least quicken there demise.

BizzaroStormy
2011-10-05, 08:06 PM
RIP Steve Jobs. Your innovation will be missed.

"innovation" made me chuckle a bit. Putting out the same product several times a year with minor upgrades really isn't innovation.

Sucks that he died tho.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-10-05, 08:17 PM
I came back from gym class, checked the news to see if anything happened, and...

Well.

RIP, Steve Jobs. You were brilliant.

Siosilvar
2011-10-05, 08:25 PM
Is taking a single large bite out of a macintosh apple a fitting tribute?

Ksheep
2011-10-05, 08:35 PM
Farewell, Steve. Your spirit will live on in every groundbreaking innovation and dramatic keynote revel from Apple. You have left a great legacy behind, and we all hope that it continues forward for some time to come.

Lord Seth
2011-10-05, 08:56 PM
"innovation" made me chuckle a bit. Putting out the same product several times a year with minor upgrades really isn't innovation.You don't think the iPhone (for as many jokes that have been made about the new versions just being the old one repackaged, it was still innovative when it first came out), CGI movies (Toy Story), the iTunes Store, WYSIWYG, computer mice, or GUI were innovative?

CrimsonAngel
2011-10-05, 08:59 PM
Things I have seen on Facebook:

"Who is Steve Jobs?"

"He had enough money to keep himself alive forever with our advanced technology. What an idiot"

RIP Steve Jobs.

Tirian
2011-10-05, 09:00 PM
"innovation" made me chuckle a bit. Putting out the same product several times a year with minor upgrades really isn't innovation.

It is when those products are the industry standard music player, the industry standard cell phone, and the industry standard tablet computer. That's really something, and it says something for the business management and geekery that caught fire at Apple when Jobs was running it. As a world, we were embiggened by his presence, which will now be missed.

LaZodiac
2011-10-05, 09:10 PM
It is when those products are the industry standard music player, the industry standard cell phone, and the industry standard tablet computer. That's really something, and it says something for the business management and geekery that caught fire at Apple when Jobs was running it. As a world, we were embiggened by his presence, which will now be missed.

Gonna be honest, there are things muuuch better then the iPhone 5. But that is neither here nor there. This turtleneck wearing cultural icon has passed on, and it is sad, regardless of your likes or dislikes concerning Apple or its buisness practices.

otakuryoga
2011-10-05, 09:17 PM
http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/4c0083a87785e026e971eabd45e4eca3/31276%20-%20america%20american_flag%20july_4%20rainbow_dash %20salute.png
That is all.

Tonal Architect
2011-10-05, 09:29 PM
I don't think his company's products were that innovative, neither do I think he was an innovator. He did seem like a great marketing guy, though; both he and he's products had some serious marketing to back them up.

Regardless, it seems somewhat sad to see somebody die at that age. Cancer is truly terrifying. Everybody deserves to live till they're 80, at least, and that's still too little.

Geno9999
2011-10-05, 09:32 PM
Repeating what I said on a different thread...

I don't even use Apple products and I still feel sadden by his death.
TT_TT
R.I.P.

Raddish
2011-10-05, 09:38 PM
Never owned any Apple I-products myself but the innovation and success he helped them achieve mean he will be missed by many.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Moonshadow
2011-10-05, 09:44 PM
Wow. I mean, I know the new iPhone 4S wasn't well received, but to cause this...?

Talya
2011-10-05, 09:53 PM
Lesser known Steve Jobs fact: Walt Disney Company now has an open seat on its board of directors. Steve Jobs was the single largest shareholder of Disney, and a board member since 2006 when Disney bought Pixar.

Lord Seth
2011-10-05, 09:55 PM
I don't think his company's products were that innovative, neither do I think he was an innovator.You don't think Toy Story was innovative? You don't think WYSIWYG was innovative? You don't think computer mice were innovative?

NikitaDarkstar
2011-10-05, 10:12 PM
I've never owned an apple product, and never been to fond of them, but without Steve Jobs computers as we know them right now most likely wouldn't have been what they are today. He was the guy who was crazy enough to make computers for common people to use in their homes, without having to order a pile of parts and build it yourself first! He was the one who thought they needed color, a graphic user interface, and the list goes on.

If you don't think he was innovative, you're just to used to using the stuff he laid the foundation for. Sure some of the later Apple products are well, not the most interesting, but that thing you're using right now to read this? Yhea, most of it came from him.

R.I.P Steve Jobs, Have geek heaven fully upgraded for us when we get there please?

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-05, 10:22 PM
This was not a surprise; it was quite obvious he quit because of his health. He will be missed.

No brains
2011-10-05, 10:29 PM
What's worst is that he died of pancreatic cancer. Make of that what you will.

Syka
2011-10-05, 10:37 PM
Regardless of how anyone feels about his products and/or company, it's always sad when someone passes. He has family and friends who knew and loved him, and for that- my condolences.

I think about losing my mom, who is only 3 years older, and I can't imagine how it would make me feel. He made a mark on the world, for sure, and that is all any of us can hope for.

Tirian
2011-10-05, 10:44 PM
You don't think Toy Story was innovative? You don't think WYSIWYG was innovative? You don't think computer mice were innovative?

Let's take a half-step back here. Both the mouse and GUI were developed by Xerox PARC and sold commercially two years before the Apple Lisa came out. The Macintosh was the first graphically-based computer that didn't cost as much as a luxury car and so Jobs brought intuitive interface to the masses, but he didn't invent it.

Tonal Architect
2011-10-05, 10:46 PM
You don't think Toy Story was innovative? You don't think WYSIWYG was innovative? You don't think computer mice were innovative?

I can't comment on whether Toy Story was innovative or not; I never watched it myself. Still, what has his involvement with the movie? As far as I know, he contributed nothing to it, other than owning the company that came up with that animation title.

On mice and WYSIWYG... I agree, those were innovative. Jobs also agreed, especially because those features were NOT created by him Or his company, they were first seem in a Xerox product. He might have adopted those features on the products his company would later sell, but that doesn't mean he should be credited for them.

edit: Ninja'd.

Ksheep
2011-10-05, 10:51 PM
For those of you who are saying that Steve Jobs didn't make a difference, think of this:

He pioneered simple, user-friendly computers that anyone could use.
He introduced the graphical user interface and the mouse to personal computers.
He bought up Pixar when it was nothing more than a handful of computer animators messing around, and he shaped them into the entertainment giant that they are now.
He developed the first computer with an integrated network card, and these computers were the first nodes in the World Wide Web.
He pushed the boundaries of what computers could be, shrinking them until they could easily fit on a desktop.
He encouraged development in touch screens, creating the first true multi-touch touch screen, and one of the first touch screens that didn't need a bulky stylus to operate.
He created the first successful portable MP3 player, with a highly-intuitive interface and simple design.
He started the wave of making many things available for purchase and download from online, from music to phone apps to entire computer programs, from games to office utilities and everything in between.

True, he may not have been the one to originally create the technology, but he was the first to realize the potential in the technology, to pick it up, to urge it along, to create something truly great from it. He had a vision, and he would to anything that he could to make that vision a reality. He is very probably one of the most influential people in the past 50 years. Without his drive, life would be very different for everyone.

Mando Knight
2011-10-05, 11:01 PM
To be honest, the guy kinda scared me, after a fashion...

...I like my used future (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UsedFuture) with the modular, jury-rigged components under a hyper-sleek, sharp-angled gloss-black fighter-jet shell. And he wanted it to be brushed aluminum and curves with softly lighted accents... :smalleek:

Dacia Brabant
2011-10-05, 11:13 PM
I'm saddened by his loss, saddened all the more by some of the responses, but that's typical.

Sure there are some things I don't like about his company and products, but even so, the Mac OS has long been the standard for my industry (print journalism) and I frankly cannot imagine my life without it. I mean before that it was what, Linotype? That's something from out of a museum.

R.I.P. :smallfrown:

SamBurke
2011-10-05, 11:18 PM
Sure some of the later Apple products are well, not the most interesting, but that thing you're using right now to read this? Yhea, most of it came from him.

R.I.P Steve Jobs, Have geek heaven fully upgraded for us when we get there please?

I hope you refer not to the iPod, iPhone, or iPad.

But I am sorry such an innovator and genius left.

He will be, I think, the Thomas Edison of this generation.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-10-06, 12:08 AM
I hope you refer not to the iPod, iPhone, or iPad.

But I am sorry such an innovator and genius left.

He will be, I think, the Thomas Edison of this generation.

The "not interesting" Actually, yes I do refer to the iPod, iPhone and iPad. They've set a standard in both design and functionality yes, but would I like to own any of them? No. But that is neither here nor there right now really, and out of respect I'll refrain from going deeper into my reasoning on those products in this thread.

Ichneumon
2011-10-06, 12:27 AM
Thank you for everything you did. You changed my life. May you rest in peace.

Lord Seth
2011-10-06, 12:33 AM
Let's take a half-step back here. Both the mouse and GUI were developed by Xerox PARC and sold commercially two years before the Apple Lisa came out. The Macintosh was the first graphically-based computer that didn't cost as much as a luxury car and so Jobs brought intuitive interface to the masses, but he didn't invent it.I never stated he or Apple invented either. But they innovated them. Yes, computer mice existed beforehand, and yes, GUIs existed beforehand, but it wasn't until Apple that they were developed to the point that they were commercially successful.

I'll give a great analogy: The lightbulb. Thomas Edison didn't invent it; incandescent lamps existed before he was born. But he was the first one to make one that was practical enough to be commercially successful. Did he invent the incandescent lamp? No. But he innovated it.

Or here's another great example: The Wiimote. While I know some people hate the idea of motion gameplay, but it seems hard to argue it was an innovation that brought back Nintendo's dominance of the console market. However, the basic idea of using motion gameplay was nothing new; it was used even before Duck Hunt. But it wasn't until the Wii that someone managed to make it that commercially successful. Did they invent it with the Wii? No. Was it still an innovation? Yes.

Innovation isn't just coming up with completely new ideas. It's also taking already-existing ideas and adjusting and changing them to make them successful. Heck, TV was a tremendous innovation, but when you get down to it all it did was combine radio and movies.
I can't comment on whether Toy Story was innovative or not; I never watched it myself.It was the first full-length film to be made completely in CGI. That's darn innovative. It won an award for it.

Still, what has his involvement with the movie? As far as I know, he contributed nothing to it, other than owning the company that came up with that animation title.I don't think he necessarily had that much of a direct input in it creatively, but as he owned the company it was his decision to go through with making it, and he picked the right people to make it.

On mice and WYSIWYG... I agree, those were innovative. Jobs also agreed, especially because those features were NOT created by him Or his company, they were first seem in a Xerox product. He might have adopted those features on the products his company would later sell, but that doesn't mean he should be credited for them.Again, I did not say he invented them. I was responding to the claim he didn't do innovation. Taking already-existing ideas and adjusting and improving them so they can be a commercial success is innovation.

TheThan
2011-10-06, 01:12 AM
I may not particularly like apple products, but I respected him as a businessman and an innovator. I believe the tech industry and anyone interested in that field (as well as mac aficionados) will deeply miss him.

factotum
2011-10-06, 01:33 AM
While I dislike Apple products and believe Steve Jobs himself was far more of a salesman than an innovator--it was Steve Wozniak who designed and built Apple's first machines--it is always sad when somebody dies so young. Rest in peace, Steve, you changed the world, for what it's worth.

Killer Angel
2011-10-06, 01:46 AM
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
.... R.I.P. Steve

Weimann
2011-10-06, 04:39 AM
While I've never actually owned an Apple product, the impact they have had on... well, the world is undeniable. The way Jobs have been leading his company is inspiring and worth my respect.

RIP Steve Jobs.

Pterocards
2011-10-06, 05:26 AM
R.I.P Steve....He truly was a great innovator... Have fun in Celestia or where ever plane you go to....Good night...sweet prince.....

dehro
2011-10-06, 05:45 AM
he was a CEO with cojones.
..and a ninja, apparently..are we sure he didn't fake his own death and hide inside the walls of Microsoft, to mess up their desktops?

he'll be missed.. be it for target practice if you didn't like the products or for someone to look up to in the world of making money

pendell
2011-10-06, 08:00 AM
Good-bye, Steve Jobs. May you find mercy at the end of the road you now travel.

In point of fact, the last Apple product I used was a Macintosh in college -- they were simply too expensive at the time. But if he had not made the interface which Microsoft subsequently stole to the limit possible by law, computing would be a far different place today.

Of course, Xerox PARC had WIMP before Apple did, but Apple popularized it, changing it from a trendy R&D toy to a mass-market phenemenon.

Thank you, Steve, for the Apple II and the Macintosh and the Ipod, the Ipad, and the Iphone. I will remember you as an exemplar of a modern American inventor.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Androgeus
2011-10-06, 08:22 AM
A doctor would have been able to see him if it he didn't have all those apple products.

I would have exploded if I didn't make that really bad joke, shame to see him go though.

Morph Bark
2011-10-06, 10:29 AM
The apple does not fall far from the tree.

RIP Steve Jobs, be hopin' Apple keeps doing as well as it did under his leadership.

Ajadea
2011-10-06, 12:12 PM
R.I.P. Steve Jobs. You will be missed. Hopefully, Apple will continue to be successful even without you.

Also, let me take this chance to say that cancer is a terrible thing, and it's always sad when someone dies young.

Talya
2011-10-06, 01:12 PM

He was killed by [the] P.C.?

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-06, 01:18 PM
Now taking pre-orders for our latest product, the iGrave.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-06, 01:22 PM
R.I.P Steve Jobs, you will be missed.

Trixie
2011-10-06, 01:28 PM
R.I.P.

I'll give a great analogy: The lightbulb. Thomas Edison didn't invent it; incandescent lamps existed before he was born. But he was the first one to make one that was practical enough to be commercially successful. Did he invent the incandescent lamp? No. But he innovated it.

Except, even Amiga 500 had better mouse than what Apple offered up to XXIst Century. It's no accident every graphic Macintosh user ditched the mouse as soon as he could and replaced it with Vacom tablet/mouse combo.

I still have no idea why he pushed '1 key is good', I find anything below 5 terribly limiting because I use all of these, constantly. Surfing net is so much more convenient.

It was the first full-length film to be made completely in CGI. That's darn innovative. It won an award for it.

Actually, no, first CGI was Reboot, full year before, made in Canada.

Jobs never invented anything I can recall, he was just good at taking ideas of others, packing them into shiny shell, and selling them. In these two things, he was indeed a leader.

Gamerlord
2011-10-06, 01:30 PM
R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

Actually, no, first CGI was Reboot, full year before, made in Canada.

That was a TV show, not a full-length film.

factotum
2011-10-06, 03:03 PM
And you should also note that Toy Story was under development from 1991 onwards--it's not like Steve Jobs saw ReBoot and said to himself, "I can make a movie like this!".

Having said that, SJ didn't really create Toy Story. He was always a hardware guy, and he saw Pixar as an excuse to sell 3D render farms to other companies.

Talya
2011-10-06, 03:23 PM
Steve Jobs had the good sense to hire John Lasseter for Pixar. Give him credit for that. ;)

Lord Seth
2011-10-06, 03:28 PM
Except, even Amiga 500 had better mouse than what Apple offered up to XXIst Century. It's no accident every graphic Macintosh user ditched the mouse as soon as he could and replaced it with Vacom tablet/mouse combo.And the Amiga 500 was another example of innovation, because they took the innovation Steve Jobs did with the mouse and innovated it further. Again: He still had some major innovation in there. Then others did major innovation of that.

The people who made the mouse showed considerable innovation. Steve Jobs showed considerable innovation in his usage of it. Then later improvements of the mouse were considerable innovation as well. I'm not sure what your point is.

Actually, no, first CGI was Reboot, full year before, made in Canada.I said first full-length CGI film. Reboot was a TV series.

BizzaroStormy
2011-10-06, 03:45 PM
Blowing things out of proportion again. Place hasnt changed.

The Apple company has made many innovations but jobs has admitted that quite a few were not his. We actually had iTunes before, but it was called Naptser. And as for things like the iPhone, it was innovative when it first came out...back in 2007. Same for the iPod, in 2001. However, the company began releasing slightly upgraded copies of these devices instead of simply upgrading the existing ones. The lack of RECENT innovation is what I was getting at.

Lord Seth
2011-10-06, 05:01 PM
Having said that, SJ didn't really create Toy Story.On the creative side, no; other people wrote the script and directed it. But he was still the one who backed the project and picked the right people for it.
We actually had iTunes before, but it was called Naptser.Not at all. Napster was illegal initially (a major difference!) and then later changed to a subscription system. iTunes, instead of going with subscriptions, sold things individually. Also, I don't think Napster had downloadable TV shows!
And as for things like the iPhone, it was innovative when it first came out...back in 2007. Same for the iPod, in 2001. However, the company began releasing slightly upgraded copies of these devices instead of simply upgrading the existing ones. The lack of RECENT innovation is what I was getting at.What about the iPad in 2010?

Mando Knight
2011-10-06, 06:32 PM
Also, I don't think Napster had downloadable TV shows!Neither did iTunes until just a few years ago.

What about the iPad in 2010?
That's mostly a plus-sized iPhone with the phone part taken out. Kudos to it for being a relatively cheap tablet computer, but honestly I'd rather have a more robust OS backing it and some expandability options.

Talya
2011-10-06, 06:53 PM
On the creative side, no; other people wrote the script and directed it. But he was still the one who backed the project and picked the right people for it.Not at all. Napster was illegal initially (a major difference!) and then later changed to a subscription system. iTunes, instead of going with subscriptions, sold things individually. Also, I don't think Napster had downloadable TV shows!What about the iPad in 2010?

Napster was great...and fortunately, free music never became hard to get after they shut it down.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-06, 10:29 PM
What about the iPad in 2010?

Most people who bough it has no real use for it. Unlike the iPod and the iPhone, the iPad has a much more limited market outside the "Cool! I want one!" demographic.

It is too big and unwieldy to use as a camera device, an MP3 player or as a device to watch movies on the train. The screen is glossy and backlighted, so it is lousy as an ebook reader. It is too small and too limited to actually do work on.
There is a LOT of people who demands a 7" version for that reason (they would actually carry it with them), but Apple has said they will never make one.

In fact I am far more excited about the iPod shuffle "Clock face" design. THAT is a REALLY good idea.

Iruka
2011-10-06, 10:50 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Jobs, you left way too early.

I think some reactions in the media overdo it a bit, almost acting like he ended world hunger. But with him, Apple pushed some innovations that would otherwise have taken several companies and possibly decades more. Our (that is, those who frequently use computers, cell phones etc. ) world would certainly look different without him.

The Giant
2011-10-06, 11:48 PM
The Order of the Stick and this website would not exist if it weren't for Steve Jobs.

When I was in college in the early 90's, using computers for art and design was considered a brand new idea, and it was an idea that only existed on Macs. I learned to use programs like Illustrator and Photoshop on Macs at a time when they weren't even available for PCs. Had Macs not existed, with their focus on visuals, I would probably not have been taught anything about computers in my design classes. My degree was in illustration, but soon after leaving I gravitated toward graphic design jobs, all of which used Macs. Without Macs, the entire industry would have stuck with paste-up and photostats for another ten years.

While I may have eventually tried using a PC for design, it was the years of experience with Illustrator on a Mac that caused me to try doodling stick figures as ersatz miniatures for my D&D game, and it was those stick figures that eventually led me to create OOTS.

I strongly considered doing another tribute strip, but I couldn't think of any way to work it in without completely disrupting the flow of the comic.

Ted The Bug
2011-10-07, 12:11 AM
I heard the news on my iPhone, and didn't even realize the irony until a good few hours later. Today I walked to my local Apple store to see if anything special was going on, and was really touched and impressed by the display remembering Jobs. I respected him and his immense skill and creativity more than I can say, and even if I found some major issues with a few of his products, I've been a loyal Mac customer for a long time.

Here's to the man who brought technology to the common man, instead of having it be the other way around.

Oh, and...

I strongly considered doing another tribute strip, but I couldn't think of any way to work it in without completely disrupting the flow of the comic.
...that would be such awesome bonus material somewhere.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-07, 12:58 AM

To be honest with you, I think S. J. is worth disrupting it though. :smallsmile:

Again, I might not be total fan of all his products, but he was one hell of a visionary.

Lord Raziere
2011-10-07, 01:35 AM
I never had any strong feelings about the guy, but he is reason I have my Macbook and iPhone, so I guess this is my thank you to him.

may he find peace.

dehro
2011-10-07, 04:31 AM
this morning I was reminded of a quote by Steve Jobs: "why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"

why has nobody yet drawn a turtleneck-wearing-pirate-tribute-stick-figure?

Asta Kask
2011-10-07, 05:11 AM

Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst cancers out there. 1-year survival rate - 25%; 5-year survival rate - 6%. Jobs lived for 8 years, so he sure beat the odds.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-07, 05:22 AM
this morning I was reminded of a quote by Steve Jobs: "why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"

why has nobody yet drawn a turtleneck-wearing-pirate-tribute-stick-figure?

Speaking of that, I saw that sales for "fake turtlenecks" had gone up over 100% in a day.

polity4life
2011-10-07, 06:30 AM
He was a good businessman and had the sense to hire some really capable marketing specialists for the past ten years. And yes he did work, alongside many others, to advance home and mobile computing.

However, seeing and reading reactions as though each of these people's father has just died is somewhere between laughable and deplorable. Theonion.com has a great article that better describes and exemplifies what I felt at the time.

Xapi
2011-10-07, 06:54 AM
Dear Giant:

If you feel like doing it, then I'm sure your fans will understand it, appreciate it, and dismiss any inconvenience regarding the comic's actual continuity.

Sincerely
Xapi

pendell
2011-10-07, 09:09 AM
[snipped]

On second thought, the Giant doesn't need my advice. If he wants to do a tribute strip and can think of a way to do it, he will. Shutting up now.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

KnightDisciple
2011-10-07, 09:18 AM
Most people who bough it has no real use for it. Unlike the iPod and the iPhone, the iPad has a much more limited market outside the "Cool! I want one!" demographic.

It is too big and unwieldy to use as a camera device, an MP3 player or as a device to watch movies on the train. The screen is glossy and backlighted, so it is lousy as an ebook reader. It is too small and too limited to actually do work on.
There is a LOT of people who demands a 7" version for that reason (they would actually carry it with them), but Apple has said they will never make one.My dad uses the iPad he won from a company picnic to read all the time, and has never complained. I haven't done a lot of reading on it, but it doesn't seem like it would inhibit it that much.

Also, my D&D group gets pretty good usage out of the one our "host member" (one of them, I guess) has. It's his stereo control mechanism, reference book, loot table, and likely a few other things.

I'm not saying it's a do-all machine, but it's not quite as useless as you seem to be advertising. :smallwink:

In fact I am far more excited about the iPod shuffle "Clock face" design. THAT is a REALLY good idea.That's the Nano. The shuffle's the super-cheap one that's just a playback controller face.

Tonal Architect
2011-10-07, 11:56 AM
He was a good businessman and had the sense to hire some really capable marketing specialists for the past ten years. And yes he did work, alongside many others, to advance home and mobile computing.

However, seeing and reading reactions as though each of these people's father has just died is somewhere between laughable and deplorable. Theonion.com has a great article that better describes and exemplifies what I felt at the time.

Qft. I can't help but feel the overall reaction is overblown. If anything, Jobs (likely with the help of a PR and Marketing department) did manage to get a cult of personality going around him. Not a bad achievement.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst cancers out there. 1-year survival rate - 25%; 5-year survival rate - 6%. Jobs lived for 8 years, so he sure beat the odds.

Although it was one of the worst types of cancer, let's put it this way:

This guy had amassed, during his lifetime, riches several scales of magnitude beyond which I could probably hope to gather in my lifetime. He probably had more money than all of the playground together (not sure if I'm taking things out of hand... or not). He could probably buy a small african country. Simply put, he could do a myriad of things with his fortune...

...and still, saving himself was not among such things.

I guess cancer is simply scary like that.

Surrealistik
2011-10-07, 03:28 PM
Jobs never invented anything I can recall, he was just good at taking ideas of others, packing them into shiny shell, and selling them. In these two things, he was indeed a leader.

QFT. Apple was an empire founded as much on consumer ignorance, hype and cynical, slick marketing/mass manipulation as on its objective merits.

grimbold
2011-10-07, 03:45 PM
I can say that I actually do not own any apple products (is poor) however my family members do and i always thought Jobs was a great innovator

RIP

Talya
2011-10-07, 03:50 PM
I generally dislike Apple products and business/design philosophies, but have had a great respect for Steve Jobs. My love of everything Pixar and Disney is a big part of why.

Firemeier
2011-10-07, 04:18 PM
While I never had any strong feelings for or against Steve Jobs, I think this (http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2011/9/1/how-to-give-somebody-the-respect-they-deserve.html) comic about his retirement works well as an eulogy, too:

http://basicinstructions.squarespace.com/storage/2011-09-01-respect.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=13149223415 23

Rawhide
2011-10-07, 09:02 PM
Steve Jobs was not a god, just a man, but he was insanely great (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insanely+great) at what he did. His passing will be felt throughout the industry, regardless of how little they had to do with Apple products, and his presence and influence will be sorely missed.

Gaius Marius
2011-10-07, 11:23 PM
Whether or not he created first the stuff, he was the one to introduce many, many, many technology to the Grand Public. He made this stuff mainstream, easy access. He pushed like a rhino to take control of massive market share, always pushing other companies to innovate better products to retake this.

The power and mystique of the marketing achieved by Steve Jobs and Apple are at work at the moment in many cities around the world. I just walked past the Montreal Apple Shop, and I saw the people turned it into a shrine in his honor. Dozens of bitten apples were on the ground, pictures of him and messages, flowers were everywhere. Apparently, yesterday there was even more.

With the Apple Store already being grandiose in its design (it really stands out over here, anyway. A giant transparent facade), I really feel there is something almost... I don't know, religious to the idea? Religious not in the term of theism, but in the basic meaning of the word. "Religo" - to bind.

There is already present around the world designated places with physical significante and a lot of respect from the clientele. The revered and respected man who made it all died. People are coming togheter to pay homage...

I don't have much of an argument left. Do I make sense? There was just.. a strange demonstration of mystical power. It's the first time I see a shrine created spontaneously by people outside of the location of the death of someone or a place already designated as a place of respect, like the church or a tomb.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-08, 02:27 AM
The third panel in that comic is the key. He was not an INVENTOR, he was an INNOVATOR. He did it RIGHT (most of the time).

H Birchgrove
2011-10-10, 11:18 AM
RIP Steve Jobs. Innovator, guru for geeks, Captain of Industry, cool guy. You'll be missed.

I just want to point out that the computer mouse was invented by Douglas Engelbart and demonstrated as early as in December 9, 1968. (Håkan Lans has also made a version of the mouse, though there are other things he deserves more credit for.)

pendell
2011-10-11, 10:00 AM
RIP Steve Jobs. Innovator, guru for geeks, Captain of Industry, cool guy. You'll be missed.

I just want to point out that the computer mouse was invented by Douglas Engelbart and demonstrated as early as in December 9, 1968. (Håkan Lans has also made a version of the mouse, though there are other things he deserves more credit for.)

I've been reading about inventions, and the thing about inventions is that it isn't enough to build a working prototype. Lining up venture capital to pay for a manufacturing line, convincing customers to pay for it, then beating off the copycat competitors and the inevitable lawsuits, is a much taller order of business. It's a job that requires much more people skills than it does workshop savvy.

In essence, Steve Jobs was a con man who used his maxed bluff skill for good. Rather than selling people MAKE.MONEY.FAST schemes, he sold them products that were actually useable. He sold them Macs and he sold them Ipods and he sold them software. More than that, he sold Apple. Buying apple is about more than buying a computer. It's a whole set of shared values and coolness, much more than a mere gray box.

Steve Jobs did not originate many of the inventions he sold. He did the much harder thing of making them acceptable and accessible by the mass market. Without him, the mouse and WYSIWYG and those other things would have continued to collect dust in R&D labs of large companies who would sit on them out of fear of taking risks.

So he fully deserves his hero status. Not because he was a great technical innovator himself. But because he was able to turn great ideas into mass-market saleable products. He didn't invent WYSIWYG. But if not for him, you probably wouldn't be using it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ichneumon
2011-10-11, 01:58 PM
I don't care whether or not he revolutionized anything. I saw the guy give presentations and read stuff about him and I liked him. He was a nice and funny guy and now he's dead. I loved apple updates, not because I like their products (I do though), but because I enjoyed watching him.

grimbold
2011-10-11, 02:36 PM
something i felt i should add;
with his easy to use operating systems he introduced millions to the internet. His latest device (the iPad) has singlehandedly made my grandmother an internetaholic

Asta Kask
2011-10-11, 03:26 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303275_10150317945262051_655587050_8588934_7118077 33_n.jpg

:smallcool:

Mando Knight
2011-10-11, 03:35 PM
:smallcool:
http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/use-your-force-harry.jpg
:smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-12, 01:47 AM
More than that, he sold Apple. Buying apple is about more than buying a computer. It's a whole set of shared values and coolness, much more than a mere gray box.

And that part is what we non apple users laugh about. It's the 1000 dollar designer purse all over again. :smallbiggrin:

raymundo
2011-10-12, 02:48 AM

There is a LOT of people who demands a 7" version for that reason (they would actually carry it with them), but Apple has said they will never make one.

In fact I am far more excited about the iPod shuffle "Clock face" design. THAT is a REALLY good idea.

Sorry for picking you out and for replying almost a week later, but this post did just catch my eye.

In my opinion, one of the main problems with computer development is people designing stuff for themselves, not for the customer. Your post is a perfect example: You obviously can not think of a way to use an iPad for yourselves and that is perfectly fine. Not buying a device you do not need is a rather sensible thing to do and some Apple customers might think about it. I guess with "most people" you wanted to say "most people I know", otherwise I would think of it as a tad arrogant.

But calling about 30 million iPad sales and an estimated 10-20 million more for this quarter the "Cool! I want one!"-demographic is rather shortsighted. These figures are worldwide, so you can hardly blame them on a specific local attitude. And these were just the numbers for the iPad, a lot of manufacturers have their own line of tablets. The iPad and most other tablets were never intended to replace the computer you are working on. But today, not everyone having a computer needs to do a lot of work on it, if any. For these people, a tablet is a very slim, energy efficient device, _because_ its interface looks nothing like a regular computer. It is difficult to grasp at first, but not everyone is able or willing to learn how to actually use a desktop computer system.
Those who are and still buy an iPad were maybe looking for an enjoyable device to surf the webs, read stuff, do remote computing / house automatization / play the occassional game, like myself.

You can use a tablet to watch a movie on the train just fine, why do you think otherwise? As for the reading part, I guess this depends on the user. I'm reading pretty much all of the digital content I am interested in on my iPad and I am enjoying it very much, but I can definitely imagine people disliking it.
If one wanted to work on his iPad but still be able to use it strictly as a tablet, one could buy a keyboard and one of those fancy cases to convert it to something resembling a netbook. Yes, you could just buy a netbook, but good luck removing its keyboard to make it a tablet. Yes, there are convertibles, but these are heavier, bigger, bulkier and their batteries will die much sooner.
Well, there actually are a lot of 7" and a few 8" tablets, but this point is moot as I am assuming you are critizising the iPad exclusively. And then you may be happy to hear it primarily was Steve Jobs who called 7" tablets "dead on arrival", so having the recent events in mind, Apple may actually get smart.

My point is: Why so offensive against Apple users? Yes, a lot of them (that I know) are intolerant, elitist posers, believing they bought a lifestyle with their device. But you will find people with these attitude in the camps of every major system, being a student of computer science I have seen it all (yeah, I guess this is true for every campus, company or group of friends). So much for me disliking what you presented as the main incentive to buy an iPad.

On a sidenote: It is funny, when I am around with my iPad I actually have to defend what I am using it for. I would do it with pleasure, if these people were actually interested in a healty discussion.

And that part is what we non apple users laugh about. It's the 1000 dollar designer purse all over again.

Yeah, make it "we non apple users who do not understand why people use Apple devices or who only now jerks with Apple products"

OT: RIP Steve Jobs

steveburns
2011-10-12, 04:48 AM
Rip Stevie a truly inspirational man.... you will be dearly missed...

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-12, 07:17 AM
But calling about 30 million iPad sales and an estimated 10-20 million more for this quarter the "Cool! I want one!"-demographic is rather shortsighted. These figures are worldwide, so you can hardly blame them on a specific local attitude. And these were just the numbers for the iPad, a lot of manufacturers have their own line of tablets. The iPad and most other tablets were never intended to replace the computer you are working on. But today, not everyone having a computer needs to do a lot of work on it, if any. For these people, a tablet is a very slim, energy efficient device, _because_ its interface looks nothing like a regular computer. It is difficult to grasp at first, but not everyone is able or willing to learn how to actually use a desktop computer system.
Those who are and still buy an iPad were maybe looking for an enjoyable device to surf the webs, read stuff, do remote computing / house automatization / play the occassional game, like myself.

You can use a tablet to watch a movie on the train just fine, why do you think otherwise? As for the reading part, I guess this depends on the user. I'm reading pretty much all of the digital content I am interested in on my iPad and I am enjoying it very much, but I can definitely imagine people disliking it.
If one wanted to work on his iPad but still be able to use it strictly as a tablet, one could buy a keyboard and one of those fancy cases to convert it to something resembling a netbook. Yes, you could just buy a netbook, but good luck removing its keyboard to make it a tablet. Yes, there are convertibles, but these are heavier, bigger, bulkier and their batteries will die much sooner.

Yeah, make it "we non apple users who do not understand why people use Apple devices or who only now jerks with Apple products"

Various comments out of order:

Ebook readers have a non glossy, non-backlighted screen so they can be read in full sunlight (like a normal book). Backlighted displays suck at that.

30 million sold is a huge number. Yet I have only seen a few people (outside of certain work situations) that actually carries the iPad with them.
Yes, it works splendidly to watch a movie on the train. The PROBLEM is that it is just too big. You cannot fit it in your pocket, you cannot fit it in your purse; it is JUST big enough that you have to have a special bag / sleeve for it. That is my problem with the insistence of a 10 inch screen.
A 7 inch screen would be perfect, it would fit much easier in pockets etc.
And the reason I talk about iPad only here is not because I dislike it, but because, let's face it, it is the best tablet on the market. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was just a tad smaller.

pendell
2011-10-12, 07:36 AM
And that part is what we non apple users laugh about. It's the 1000 dollar designer purse all over again. :smallbiggrin:

Exactly. Consider this 1984 commercial for the Macintosh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8).

Marketing 101: In a modern industrial society, there are very few unmet market needs. You want tomatoes? There are a couple dozen companies trying to sell it to you. You want computers? There's all kinds of boxes able to run Windows or Linux or Mac.

In a market that is saturated with product, what moves one product to the #1 slot is the intangibles the marketeers associate with the product -- it's cool, or it's traditional, or it's classic, or it's hip, or it's cutting edge, or it will somehow make you sexually attractive.

This is why, if you go into any supermarket, you're going to see a whole bunch of store-brand soft drinks, yogurt, and other goodies which are a good 10%-50% cheaper than national brands. But nobody buys those, because there are no imprinted associations. It's just a product at a lower price.

Same with gasoline. Here in the US Exxon gasoline is quite a bit more expensive than other people's gas, but people still buy it because they have that tiger logo and associate it with high performance, even though it's just gasoline.

And that is how people are persuaded to pay through the nose for products they could get cheaper -- and sometimes, better -- elsewhere. Through associations.

Steve Jobs was a master at this. That's why, for example, Back in the day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus), a Macintosh would sell for $2589, while a PC went for about $800, and Macintosh was still able to compete.

Steve Jobs was a showman, and a darned good one. I'd say he was the P.T. Barnum of our generation, except I'd be asked "Who was P.T. Barnum"? :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kallisti
2011-10-13, 02:15 AM
I'd say he was the P.T. Barnum of our generation, except I'd be asked "Who was P.T. Barnum"?

Barnum's strongest cultural association isn't with showmanship but charlatanry. Or so I thought.

On topic:

"Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind
For those that here we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.

Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes
But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be."

I don't think Steve Jobs would want us to mourn him. I think he'd want us to remember him, and to learn from him. After all, he never feared his own mortality; he embraced it, and in the end it embraced him back.

You were a visionary, sir, even if I do hate Mac OS. Rest in peace.

raymundo
2011-10-13, 05:30 AM
Various comments out of order:

Ebook readers have a non glossy, non-backlighted screen so they can be read in full sunlight (like a normal book). Backlighted displays suck at that.

30 million sold is a huge number. Yet I have only seen a few people (outside of certain work situations) that actually carries the iPad with them.
Yes, it works splendidly to watch a movie on the train. The PROBLEM is that it is just too big. You cannot fit it in your pocket, you cannot fit it in your purse; it is JUST big enough that you have to have a special bag / sleeve for it. That is my problem with the insistence of a 10 inch screen.
A 7 inch screen would be perfect, it would fit much easier in pockets etc.
And the reason I talk about iPad only here is not because I dislike it, but because, let's face it, it is the best tablet on the market. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was just a tad smaller.

Ah alright. I see your point then. In Germany only women carry purses, and these usually are spacious enough for a desktop system. Guys usually carry backpacks or rather large satchelesque-purse-things.

Just read Apple manufacturers were preparing an iPad mini, 7 inch of size. Have fun

grimbold
2011-10-14, 01:20 PM
Barnum's strongest cultural association isn't with showmanship but charlatanry. Or so I thought.

On topic:

"Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind
For those that here we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.

Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes
But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be."

I don't think Steve Jobs would want us to mourn him. I think he'd want us to remember him, and to learn from him. After all, he never feared his own mortality; he embraced it, and in the end it embraced him back.

You were a visionary, sir, even if I do hate Mac OS. Rest in peace.

mind if i use those lyrics for a song?

Suicidal Charge
2011-10-14, 08:43 PM
mind if i use those lyrics for a song?

It's apparently a poem called In Memoriam, by Lord Alfred Tennyson (http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16131).

Kallisti
2011-10-16, 11:35 PM
It's apparently a poem called In Memoriam, by Lord Alfred Tennyson (http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16131).

So it is. It seemed appropriate.

It's in the public domain, however, so if you wanted to set it to music you wouldn't need my permission, or anyone's.

Syka
2011-10-16, 11:41 PM
http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/use-your-force-harry.jpg
:smalltongue:

I like this (http://www.theboredninja.com/pictures/how-to-annoy-harry-potter-star-wars-and-lord-of-the-rings-fans/) picture better. A little more subtle and...I'll be darned if Ian McKellan as Gandalf doesn't ring some bells as Dumbledore. ;)

H Birchgrove
2011-10-17, 08:42 AM
I freaking love this. (http://www.freakingnews.com/Harry-Potter-as-Dirty-Harry-Pics-68408.asp)

Too many Potters! (http://www.freakingnews.com/Harry-Potter-Pictures----2524-2.asp)

You have to ask yourself a question... (http://periwinklepaisley.deviantart.com/art/Dirty-Harry-Potter-92883160)

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18300000/Dirty-Harry-Potter-harry-potter-vs-twilight-18367949-500-666.jpg