PDA

View Full Version : Good secondary weapons?

deuxhero
2011-10-05, 10:37 PM
IIRC normally carrying around a secondary weapon is normally a waste of money (outside of things you never use as weapons like passive bonus stacked gauntlets/shuriken). Are there any secondaries that are actually USEFUL for fighting (beyond "just in case" ranged weapons)?

ericgrau
2011-10-05, 10:48 PM
At low levels the backup weapons can be almost as strong as the main weapons. For ranged Use throwing weapons and slings before the fancier more expensive stuff later. Or you may even be able to afford alternate main weapons by focusing your gold more on other magical gear like ability score boosts. This can work until about level 10.

Later when you're richer you can use affordable yet devastating 1 offs for your backup. For example spell storing melee weapons are a great backup for a ranged characters. A ring of the ram is a good mid level ranged attack, though technically it's a ring; and there are other such things.

Zaq
2011-10-06, 12:25 AM
Just about the only thing I can think of would be your golf bag of DR-piercers (slashing/piercing/bludgeoning at low levels, adamantine/silver/cold iron at mid levels, good/evil/chaotic/lawful at high levels). Nothing else seems worth the investment off the top of my head.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-06, 12:39 AM
A reach weapon and spiked gauntlets are a pretty awesome/hilarious combo. They try to move through your threatened area, you jack them in the face.

Socratov
2011-10-06, 09:30 AM
i always (no matter what i play) buy an adamantine dagger, once in trouble you can hide it, and retrieve it and try and bust out of anything that is material. not as much as a weapon, but more of a backup tool. (also a dagger can hurt too :smallamused: )

Andreaz
2011-10-06, 09:40 AM
Adamantine Dagger is God. It saved me from falling off a skyship once, helped me wrestle a drop-bear, doubled as a ranged weapon to cut off the rope being pulled to trigger a ceiling trap on us and allowed me to carve my way out of a great wyrm white dragon. It also doubles as a great letter opener.

Miscast_Mage
2011-10-06, 12:24 PM
A dagger and a light hammer are a good back-up combo; all three damage types available for only 3gp and 3lb. A hand-axe can also be a nice back-up as well. For higher levels a Metalline Dagger (MIC, I think) is the all purpose back-up weapon and tool. Basically, an adamantine, cold iron, silver, and plain ol' regular dagger all rolled into one.

Shuriken can also be handy for a melee character, especially one with high strength, without having to spend a feat on quickdraw, but still allowing him to make use of their iterative attacks if they've killed the only target in melee range with the first hit. They can be enchanted as ammunition, which can be handy; it could even be worth considering enchanting a handful as throwing plus another bonus or two. Definately not worth taking proficiency in though, and don't expect to hit much without a high dex or brutal throw(CW).

Spell-storing does seem like the best option for a back weapon. Maybe enemy specific enchantments such as bane or holy for particular enemies. Of course, this is assuming that eager defending shuriken are a bit too cheesy, though.:smalltongue:

Telonius
2011-10-06, 12:35 PM
I always keep a Quarterstaff around, on the off chance you run into a Rust Monster.

CTrees
2011-10-06, 12:46 PM
Light pick: for all your coup-de-gras needs (CDG auto-hits, so you don't even need proficiency to soak up that tasty x4 damage and ability to be wielded 2-handed)
Longspear: substitute other polearms, given proficiency, but it's a solid weapon, for when you need reach.
Quarterstaff: rust monsters.
Backup ranged weapon of some form: addressed by others. a handful of daggers will suffice for high STR characters, though (and why *wouldn't* you have a couple?)
The usual golfbag of DR piercers: addressed by others, obvious
Something adamantine: Daggers are very good, but there's something about an adamantine battleaxe that just makes me think, "this dungeon has an annoying layout. I'd like a door right HERE."
Hammer, crowbar, grappling hook: Dual use, primarily tools, but potential weapons as well (plus, the hammer and crowbar are much easier to smuggle in places than a greatsword or similar)