PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Eldritch Essence [3.5e]

Scarey Nerd
2011-10-06, 02:25 AM
In the entry for a Warlock's Eldritch Essences, it says that the Warlock may only apply his essence to one blast in a turn, meaning that if you have a BAB of +6/+1 you can apply it to only one, right? My question is, can you take a fullround action to fire TWO blasts in a round, but still apply eldritch essences or blast shapes to one of them?

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-06, 02:27 AM
You can't full-attack with an eldritch blast, so the point is moot.

With the eldritch glaive, with which you can full-attack, I believe the answer is "no", but I don't have that book on hand right now.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 02:36 AM
In the entry for a Warlock's Eldritch Essences, it says that the Warlock may only apply his essence to one blast in a turn, meaning that if you have a BAB of +6/+1 you can apply it to only one, right? My question is, can you take a fullround action to fire TWO blasts in a round, but still apply eldritch essences or blast shapes to one of them?

Ahem.

You may only apply one essence to any given blast on any given turn. Thus you cannot apply multiple essences to a given blast.

However, an Eldritch Blast is a Spell-Like Ability, thus it requires a Standard Action to use, so you do not get iterative attacks with it normally.

However, if you use the Eldritch Glaive shape invocation, you then apply the essence you like, and it affects all attacks with the glaive, because they are all part of the same blast, much like you can use Eldritch Chain + an essence invocation to affect multiple individuals at the same time.

Keneth
2011-10-06, 05:20 AM
There are some epic feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a) which never made it into the book that allow you to use two blasts per round and two essences per blast. But otherwise you only get one essence which is applied to the eldritch blast and if the blast shape allows you to attack or hit multiple targets, it applies to each one.

Scarey Nerd
2011-10-06, 09:18 AM
Ah, ok. Damn, that sucks, I was looking forward to hurling multiple blasts around. Never mind, then. Thanks! :smallsmile:

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 11:07 AM
Ah, ok. Damn, that sucks, I was looking forward to hurling multiple blasts around. Never mind, then. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Barring feats like Quicken Spell-Like Ability (usable only 3/day), your hopes have been dashed.

dextercorvia
2011-10-06, 11:18 AM
Barring feats like Quicken Spell-Like Ability (usable only 3/day), your hopes have been dashed.

Eldritch Theurge cab get access to Shapechange -- that would allow him to fling 2 per round.

Vladislav
2011-10-06, 11:27 AM
Also note that Quicken Spell-like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility) caps the level of the SLA that can be quickened - this means that you're limited at what Essences you can stick on a Quickened Blast.

Up to level 12, for example, you can't put any Essense or Shape invocations on a Quickened blast at all, because you're limited to 1st level SLA (unless there are 1st level Shapes or Essences? AFB now...)

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 11:35 AM
Eldritch Theurge cab get access to Shapechange -- that would allow him to fling 2 per round.

And how does he manage this trick? If you're talking about playing with scrolls, it gets awfully expensive real fast. Almost 4k a pop, in fact.

dextercorvia
2011-10-06, 11:46 AM
And how does he manage this trick? If you're talking about playing with scrolls, it gets awfully expensive real fast. Almost 4k a pop, in fact.

Warlock3/Wizard3/EldritchTheurge10/X3, where X is full casting.

Edit: Alternatively, Bard1/Warlock8/EldritchTheurge1/SublimeChord1/ET+9 with the proper Early Entry. That way you get darks too.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 11:51 AM

No, that's a wizard who has some invocations... not a Warlock who can Shapechange.

Besides, he can't shapechange, as written. Wizard3/ET10/x3 = Caster Level 16.

dextercorvia
2011-10-06, 11:53 AM
No, that's a wizard who has some invocations... not a Warlock who can Shapechange.

Besides, he can't shapechange, as written. Wizard3/ET10/x3 = Caster Level 16.

X was supposed to be 4 -- my apologies. I edited in another build. It gets Dark Invocations and 9th level spells.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 11:55 AM
X was supposed to be 4 -- my apologies. I edited in another build. It gets Dark Invocations and 9th level spells.

No it doesn't.

It has 13 levels of Invocation use. 3 from Warlock and 10 from ET.

x is either advancing Wizard, in which case you have 9th level spells and Greater invocations, or x advances Warlock, and you get a Dark invocation (singular) and 7th level spells.

dextercorvia
2011-10-06, 11:56 AM
No it doesn't.

It has 13 levels of Invocation use. 3 from Warlock and 10 from ET.

x is either advancing Wizard, in which case you have 9th level spells and Greater invocations, or x advances Warlock, and you get a Dark invocation (singular) and 7th level spells.

Edit: Alternatively, Bard1/Warlock8/EldritchTheurge1/SublimeChord1/ET+9 with the proper Early Entry. That way you get darks too.

I wasn't clear.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 12:48 PM
I wasn't clear.

Only that doesn't work either, because once you take ET, it continues progressing Bard and Warlock, not Sublime Chord. You need a level of Sublime Chord before going into ET to be able to advance it.

And it's even LESS of a Warlock than your original offering

dextercorvia
2011-10-06, 01:17 PM
Only that doesn't work either, because once you take ET, it continues progressing Bard and Warlock, not Sublime Chord. You need a level of Sublime Chord before going into ET to be able to advance it.

And it's even LESS of a Warlock than your original offering

You can choose at each level.

It is 18 levels of Warlock.

Edit: Justification

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day
and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable)
as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class
(but not an invocation-using class) to which you belonged
before adding the prestige class level.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-06, 02:41 PM
You can choose at each level.

It is 18 levels of Warlock.

Edit: Justification

Yea, it's that second bolded part you found that slips up your build.

dextercorvia
2011-10-06, 03:05 PM

At each level you can advance spellcasting from a class you had before adding that level. I don't see the problem.

Douglas
2011-10-06, 03:07 PM
Except it doesn't. It's referring to the single level you just gained, whichever one it happens to be, not the first level of the whole class. At ET level 2, you advance the casting of a casting class you had before adding... ET level 2. That includes Sublime Chord.

kardar233
2011-10-06, 05:04 PM
Arguably on-topic, how do Eldritch Essences work with Eldritch Claws? Is it just ignored because it's not technically an Eldritch Blast, or should it be applied when you activate the Claws and stay for the round, or what?

Socratov
2011-10-06, 05:07 PM
think about it the other way around if a warlock could make multiple blasts in a round he would be OP, right up there in dmg with the sorcerer. At lvl 20 he gets 3 attacks (iterative) at 11d6 (with hellfire warlock), that's not a whole lot, but think about it: touch AC: 33d6, each turn, you can stick any element on it, any CC, and wait till you get the chain and aoe shapes. further come items: scepter, chausble, throw out that EB of 17d6, empower (3 times a day, but still) that: 25d6 per blast, 3 on a turn: 75d6, add acid essence, you get extra dps, 1 round (+4 round dot) could amount to: 77d6= avg. 269.5 (+28), per target (max 4 extra), that makes total average: 5*269.5= 1347.5 (140) (3 times empower, but you can take this further by buying extra uses), up to a maximum of 2310 (240). that's quite some hit for an barely optimised warlock...

and, no, eldritch essenses only work on eldritch blast (only exception, hellfire blast)

Re'ozul
2011-10-06, 05:29 PM
chain only allows half damage on every hit after the first. So the maximum damage is 3 times not 5 for a total of 808.5 damage.

You cannot take empower spell like ability more than once on a any given ability.

So after the initial incredible round you would be back to 556.5 damage which is still horribly strong.

Socratov
2011-10-07, 12:52 AM
but the nice thing is, this weaponlike spell is absolutely great with when gestalted with scout. you can move and blast and actually deal decent dmg...

Keneth
2011-10-07, 08:22 AM
Personally, I would rule that you can use essences with eldritch claws, it's not really that different from eldritch glaive. Of course it would be much simpler to simply house rule the feat into a blast shape and then the problem disappears.

Warlocks need more love, especially those with the huevos to run around in melee. :smalltongue: