PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a class (or refine one)

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-06, 06:15 AM
I'm writing up an urban setting for a campaign and I want to make an NPC (or a few) with a certain concept, but I haven't been able to find a good class or prestige class that fits it. Probably the easiest way to describe it is post the prestige class I wrote for it.

I was thinking he would either start out Aristocrat or Rogue and then move into this. It's adapted from Assassin (DMG) and Invisible Blade (CW), but is less powerful and focused differently. If you know of something that'll work better, or if you've got an idea on making this better, I would appreciate it.

Gentleman Thief

Although the inner workings of the nobility are usually far from the battlefield, sometimes they are no more devoid of conflict. Although the gentry are polite as a rule, it is not uncommon for feuds, misdirection and conflict to be freely flowing under the surface. It is for this reason that nobles train (or become) gentleman thieves. Sometimes it is necessary to arrive at a ball, bypass the guards with polite excuses and apologies, dance with a few guests, slip into the study, empty the safe, and escape through an upstairs window down a trellis. Sometimes the act is accomplished for the sake of the realm, sometimes for the sake of one's own purse. Sometimes the act is much more sinister, with the target feeling the blade before he sees it. But whatever the case, no witnesses perceive, no evidence is left, and the task is accomplished.

Requirements:
Bluff 8 Ranks
Diplomacy 4 Ranks
Open Lock 8 Ranks
Sleight of Hand 8 Ranks
Feats:
Quick Draw
Weapon Finesse
Humanoid

BAB: 3/4
Good Save: Ref

The Gentleman Thief
Level / Special
1 Sneak Attack +1d6, Vow of Cordiality
2 Death Attack, Ever-present Smile
3 Sneak Attack +2d6, Uncanny Feint (Move)
4 Poison Use, Skill Trick
5 Sneak Attack +3d6, Sudden Death
6 Uncanny Dodge, Skill Focus (Sleight of Hand)
7 Sneak Attack +4d6, Uncanny Feint (Free)
8 Canny Defense, Skill Trick
9 Sneak Attack +5d6, Mobility
10 Poison Expert, 2 Skill Tricks

d6
Class Skills: Appraise (int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points: 8 + Int modifier

Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th). If a gentleman thief gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses on damage stack.
Vow of Cordiality: The gentleman thief is a perfectly acceptable member of society, perhaps even with a title and a fortune. Because of his heavy binding to social convention, he confines his weapon selection to daggers, punching daggers, darts, kukris, rapiers, scimitars, and hand crossbows. He loses proficiency with all other weapons. He also loses proficiency with heavy armor and all shields. These proficiencies cannot be regained while the character retains a level in the gentleman thief class. He does not gain any proficiencies he did not already have.
Death Attack: If a gentleman studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (striker's choice). While studying the victim, the gentleman thief can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target is not hostile to the gentleman thief.
The victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + gentleman thief level + gentleman thief's Int modifier). If he fails the save, he either dies or is paralyzed for 1d6+5 rounds, as the gentleman thief chose when the attack was made.
Ever-Present Smile: Being a polite figure in civil society, the gentleman thief focuses on presenting a positive face. He takes a -4 penalty to intimidate and receives a +4 bonus to diplomacy. This effect is reversed against a subject who has witnessed a gentleman thief initiating combat, or if he is the close companion of another who witnessed such an action.
Uncanny Feint: At 3rd level, a gentleman thief gains the ability to feint in combat (see page 68 of the Player's Handbook) as a move action rather than a standard action. At 7th level, the character can feint in combat as a free action.
Poison Use: Gentleman thieves are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade. Additionally, his craft (alchemy) skill is treated as the craft (poisonmaking) skill, removing the -4 penalty for using craft (alchemy) to create poisons.
Skill Trick: Choose one skill trick for which you meet the prerequisites. You learn this skill trick. You may choose an additional skill trick to learn at level 8 and two to learn at level 10.
Sudden Death: The gentleman thief is capable of using his weapons suddenly and to deadly effect. His quick draw feat allows him to draw any weapon he is proficient with as a free action. An opponent that was unaware of the weapon is treated as flat-footed against the first attack you make in that turn.
Skill Focus (Sleight of Hand): A gentleman thief receives Skill Focus (Sleight of Hand) as a bonus feat if he does not already have it.
Canny Defense: When the gentleman thief has an armor check penalty of 0, he adds his intelligence bonus (if any) to his dexterity bonus to modify armor class. If the gentleman thief is caught flat-footed or otherwise denied his dexterity bonus, he also loses this bonus.
Mobility: At level nine, the gentleman thief receives Mobility as a bonus feat if he does not already have it. He does not need to meet the prerequisites.
Poison Expert: At level ten, the gentleman thief receives Poison Expert as a bonus feat if he does not already have it. He does not need to meet the prerequisites.

Gwendol
2011-10-06, 07:14 AM
I always figured the "gentleman thief" to be focused on thieving and not killing. Also, there is a lot of emphasis on poison rather than traps and gadgets, which again would be more likely considering the "Thief" tag (reads more like an aristocrat assassin right now).

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-06, 07:23 AM
I always figured the "gentleman thief" to be focused on thieving and not killing. Also, there is a lot of emphasis on poison rather than traps and gadgets, which again would be more likely considering the "Thief" tag (reads more like an aristocrat assassin right now).

I figured the thieving would come through more with the large quantity of skill points. Really they can do a lot of things.

I stayed away from some of the more magical abilities (like the Silver Key in Dragonmarked - Eberron) because I was trying to move away from the magic. Otherwise I could just refluff an assassin.

I did go for two prongs: a) Stealing, b) Assassination

Person_Man
2011-10-06, 08:19 AM
I have a homebrew Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186505) that you could easily re-fluff and/or reshuffle the class abilities to fit your concept.

gbprime
2011-10-06, 09:41 AM
Actually, there's very little this PrC is doing that isn't covered by a Swashbuckler/Rogue with the Daring Outlaw feat. You come out ahead on feats, that's about it.

Bloodgruve
2011-10-06, 12:51 PM
Have you looked at Factotum? It could fit in possibly. Or you could possibly reform some of the class features into feats for a rogue.

GL
Blood~

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-07, 01:40 AM
I did look at Factotum, but it's a little magic heavy and I'm not a big fan of limited-use abilities.

I've found the Citadel Elite class in Sharn and it looks somewhat like what I'm looking for. Using a mix of Rogue, Assassin, Citadel Elite and Invisible Blade might be best.

Does anyone have any ideas on good ACFs to replace the assassin's spellcasting ability and the Citadel Elite's extra action point (I don't use them in my campaigns).

Gwendol
2011-10-07, 04:20 AM
I suggest replacing them with trap knowledge and gadget making.

gbprime
2011-10-07, 08:03 AM
I've found the Citadel Elite class in Sharn and it looks somewhat like what I'm looking for. Using a mix of Rogue, Assassin, Citadel Elite and Invisible Blade might be best.

Dont' forget to check the errata for the Sharn book. I guarantee your heart will sink when you see how hard they nerfed the Citadel Elite in that "correction". It literally goes from awesome to lackluster.